Clarence Oliver

dazzledavey36

3 hours ago, rjay said:

Is this a trick question 'Red'?

I think it's pretty obvious who the 18 coaches would select, they like giving him (Oliver) votes and the other 17 coaches for some reason that seems to escape the AA selectors like to tag him. Obviously a waste of time for someone who doesn't do any damage with ball in hand.

Maybe they should watch the games and not just go by the metres gained and handball stat sheet.

MRP a joke.

Umpiring by crowd noise and not vision.

Fixturing done on the basis of dollars and totally unrelated to fairness of a sporting competition.

Rising Star award ignoring Jayden Hunt in 2017 and this week giving an award to a kid with 3 possessions and 3 goals obtained in a thrashing of the opposition.

A record year of football stats for a 2nd year player, placing him in the top few players in the game, yet ignored in a 40 man AA squad.

Rules changed at whim.

You know rjay, it is okay for you to suggest that the AA selectors should watch the games, but I actually doubt that they would know how to turn on a Television or find their way to a football ground.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, daisycutter said:

clarrie has done a bradman. he ended up 1 (one) disposal short of a 2017 average of 30 disposals per game

can we ask for a recount?

just to clarify.....that was one disposal for the whole year........he ended up with  an average of 29.945454545.......

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

just to clarify.....that was one disposal for the whole year........he ended up with  an average of 29.945454545.......

Don't need to. How many times was Clarry penalised from the umpires for what they thought were throws but were actually handballs?

Maggots keep on screwing us!

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

Presented with his award as the best young player on AFL 360 tonight. Earned high praise from Richardson the Saints coach. Awarded to players in their first 2 years after making debut. It is also notable that Petracca also figured in this award third.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Presented with his award as the best young player on AFL 360 tonight. Earned high praise from Richardson the Saints coach. Awarded to players in their first 2 years after making debut. It is also notable that Petracca also figured in this award third.  

Interesting he said that McCartney told him to pick a player as a mentor to help model his professionalism. He chose Billy Stretch.

• Like 4

What were Diesel Williams' stats for meters gained in his Brownlow years? I know they didn't do those stats then.  My memory was when he was in the middle he was a master of the quick, short handball to someone in a better position, more than kicking the ball to a position because he was so often in the centre of a dense maul of players. Clarrie seems to have potentially, a similar set of skills. 

• Like 1

Just now, Earl Hood said:

What were Diesel Williams' stats for meters gained in his Brownlow years? I know they didn't do those stats then.  My memory was when he was in the middle he was a master of the quick, short handball to someone in a better position, more than kicking the ball to a position because he was so often in the centre of a dense maul of players. Clarrie seems to have potentially, a similar set of skills. 

Clarry actually handballs more often at this piont than Deisel did.  Based on that, I'd say his meters gained would be less than Deisels.  Average total disposals per game stats are similar.

And while I think of it, sign him up on a Dusty like deal and lock him in for life. Once his team mates work out how to best feed of his lightning ball handling we will improve to the next level and he and Trac will be our marquee players.

Clarry's 2017 might be one of the best seasons ever from a Demon, and we're talking nearly 160 years worth of players.

And now for everyone's favourite stat.....he only just turned 20.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Older demon said:

Bet Richardson didn't praise Petracca too much though. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Older demon said:

And while I think of it, sign him up on a Dusty like deal and lock him in for life. Once his team mates work out how to best feed of his lightning ball handling we will improve to the next level and he and Trac will be our marquee players.

Yeah sweet . But someone in the deep dark ages must have called it FOOTBALL for a reason !

Clarry gained 72 Votes, next best 38 and then Petracca on 29 and as the MFC site mentions this puts Clarry up in heady heights of Pendlebury, Selwood, Judd & Fyfe what an absolute beauty is our Clarry. I feel like I am starting to come back to life at least a little...:blink:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm lazy, so can't be bothered looking at stats, but eyeballing Clarry's games, he's clearly and understandably had a lot more attention paid to him... thus I feel he has plateaued with his influence. So, what I am wondering (hoping) is that when Viney comes back it will free him up a bit more...is this an accurate assessment. It reminds me  of Judd, who was surrounded by Cousins and Kerr -  top midfielders who also allowed him to get off the leash.

• Like 3

Having improved so much last year it is understandable that he would plateau for a while. 

But, you make a good point about extra attention.  Its not just Viney missing but also Tyson and Jones not being played much in the middle means Clarrie is the only target.

In the middle they take some of the load/attention so Clarrie can weave his magic which then allows Salem to add polish on the outside.   Clarrie weaving his magic would also help improve the clearance rate from Max's hit out dominance.   Win, win all round!

So Viney back in will help Clarrie but in the meantime so will Jones and/or Tyson playing in the middle.

• Like 2

I don't worry about Clayton. In the scheme of things, he's due some delayed 'second year blues'. Any downturn from him learning to deal with the extra attention, either due to his performance last year or the absence of other players, is just part of the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also need to consider the absence of Viney. Without looking up stats as well, I reckon Clarry was a lot more damaging as the 2nd mid.

I'm very excited to see Viney, Clarry, Brayshaw and Tracc running in the centre all together.

We just need some outside class to complement them now.

• Like 1