Curious Old Book - 100 Years of Football - MFC

Deemented Are Go!

So my uncle-in-law was going through some boxes the other day and he came across a book: "100 Years of Football: the story of the MFC".

Published in 1958, it was bestowed and made out to a Mr. Charlie Robertson in 1965 with compliments of the MFC; signed 'Les Millis' - Manager.

It's really just a history/stats book dating 1857-1957, boasting a magnanimous forward by none other than Sir Robert Menzies.

It is also signed by the entire 1965 team.

But what really caught my eye was the discovery of a mysterious 2nd verse to our club's song I never knew about. 

Get a load of this:

Oh the team played fine in the year Thirty-nine,

We're the Demons that no one can lick,

And you'll find us there at the final bell

With the spirit of 'Twenty-six

Every heart beats true for the Red and the Blue,

And we'll sing this song to you,

Should old aquaintance be forgot

Keep your eye on the Red and the Blue

Not sure about the lyrical prowess there, but pretty interesting nonetheless! I guess it's kind of like the national anthem 2nd verse; the ugly cousin everyone forgets about.

Anyway is anyone familiar with this particular book and the names mentioned?

Was there many blokes left from '64 Premiership team that would've signed it?

Is it worth a few bob?

Does anyone sing the 2nd verse any more?

Did anyone actually sing it back then?

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATYwMAItOTkAZGQALWFmN2MtMDACLTAwCgBGAAAD2vPa46HlH06ri6zH%2F%2FrjoAcAWZNaZ86mkkmS27VU0KJ6fAAAAgEMAAAAWZNaZ86mkkmS27VU0KJ6fAAAAC4zi1gAAAABEgAQAB2oAIpUjTlOi%2FfkiCmlDpE%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=MWMak6IV2kCXbipDN6RhovD6fXu8EtQY2gcdNvJLKICr5SzxiKZWgIH6ngp0blhk7kiAfUIX994.&token=9ed5609e-64e8-4640-900b-38b159d84a35&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATYwMAItOTkAZGQALWFmN2MtMDACLTAwCgBGAAAD2vPa46HlH06ri6zH%2F%2FrjoAcAWZNaZ86mkkmS27VU0KJ6fAAAAgEMAAAAWZNaZ86mkkmS27VU0KJ6fAAAAC4zi1sAAAABEgAQAAMqT608pppCqB3KG95qm4Y%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=nqpirnC8a0ihXkskn-aSMLB2yjC9EtQYe1QzL9wVCOl_OmM4wjBxDSXEX1sg41bjgwycnXs4ILo.&token=bff6324c-6839-4d12-9179-37b97a498f65&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1

I have two copies of this gem of a book. One handed down through a family of demon supporters (my great great grandfather was a member at the turn of the 20th century) and the other I picked up at a garage sale many years ago.

Fascinating history of the club up to 1958 (the year I was born as fate would have it), especially the pre Great War era and of course the golden era from 1939 through to the late 50's.

Not sure what the dollar value would be, but priceless in terms of demon heritage.

• Like 3

Back in the 1950s and early 60s, supporters were welcome in the dressing rooms after a game, to chat to the players, and of course, to join in the ritual singing of 'The Grand Old Flag' after a win (which was most weeks back then!).  It was always a rousing rendition, both verses, of course!  I still reckon the song is incomplete without the second verse.

• Like 3

I remember having a VFL miniposter on my bedroom wall as a boy with a list of all our premierships and runners ups.  At the time in 1971 it seemed like our last premiership was ages ago!

Underneath it was the club song with both verses.  Still sing it today as does my 12 year old!

Back then I thought that the "spirit of 26" meant that we played like we had 26 men! I did not say that I was a bright child!!!

• Like 3

I always thought the spirit of 26 referred to our 2nd flag as well as the year we went from Fuschias to Demons - however I think it was Checker who gave us that moniker which wouldn't have been until the 30s.

I always sing the second verse when I sing the song to/with my kids. My wife thinks I'm a massive nerd for knowing it but I don't care haha

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Redbeard said:

I learnt the second verse as a little tacker in the 80's due to this even curiouser old book!

Can only remember the first 2 lines of it now!

images (1).jpg

YES! I remember this series from the library in primary school.

Jeez, I feel like a bit of a dill not knowing the 2nd verse now!

Can we get it going post-match this year after every glorious win?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Redbeard said:

I learnt the second verse as a little tacker in the 80's due to this even curiouser old book!

images (1).jpg

Do you still have the book? Can you scan a few pages...

I can't remember where i read or heard this verse...... The Tigers they were horty in the year 1940 but the demons would not be licked

& they found themselves ahead at the final bell with the spirit of '26

It's a grand old flag.........

but I did

It's funny what you remember

Edited by Deevolution
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Redbeard said:

images (1).jpg

Looks like our very own Shaun "Duxy" Dux (sorry mate) 

I have a copy as well although not with the signatures

I was  just flicking through it and found an old photo of the 1960 premiership team which cant be from this book as it was published in december of 1957

If i can work out how to put a picture of it up here i will

• Like 2

5 hours ago, red and blue forever said:

I have a copy as well although not with the signatures

I was  just flicking through it and found an old photo of the 1960 premiership team which cant be from this book as it was published in december of 1957

If i can work out how to put a picture of it up here i will

Yes I struggled to put up some images, too. I wanted to post the signatures and get some help with who's who...

I'll try again another time..