Rohan Connolly shames pathetic Dee's and Tiges

John Crow Batty

1 hour ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Not in my view.  Typical example of Monday 48 hour syndrome.  If MFC supporters are so stupid as to let one very poor performance colour their view of the future I wish them a long and miserable summer.

Anyone with half a brain could see we were cooked for the last two games and were probably cooked from the midway through the 2nd quarter against Port.  Young team, huge efforts against West Coast, Suns, Hawks and another away trip to PA and they were clearly exhausted. Couldn't run. It's pretty easy sitting in our chairs to be critical of effort but I doubt any of us have any idea of the mental and physical toll 6 months or so of competitive AFL footy has on the body - unless of course you've done it. Roos has said time and time again how young we are.  Does anyone really think that playing older teams with games and preseasons under their belt isn't a significant disadvantage?  Give me a break.

Connolly of course wants to be "hard hitting" but his analysis covers 48 hours and not the progress we've made this season.  So the irrational naysayers can slit their wrists for all I care.  I'll watch the Hawks replay and think of another year under the belt of numerous talented youngsters, the added strength and experience of two former Bombers (how that must niggle the Ivory Tower brigade especially since our Coach was "first in line for the good stuff) and the promise that next year holds.

Crap article by Connolly.  Rubbish, garbage, junk and sadly misguided.

VP - if you think a 100 plus point loss is excusable, you are a fair  dinkum Knobber! Actually you deserve a spot in the AA Knobber team. It's the likes of you that annoy the Karp out of me with excusing putrid performances by this club.  Unlike you I expect professionalism wether it's the first or last game.  22 players that tossed in the towel against Geelong need to mature very damn quickly.  They appeared to want to get on the booze and have a party ....job done mentality.  We will never ever win another flag with this immaturity. Don't give me nonsense excuses!!!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Same thing happened to St Kilda in the last round last year & now their the media's favourite team outside the 8.

http://www.finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=7048&Code=03dd1ea7cf2760cd30904bf93bbb0300

Two weeks ago we were the media's favourite team outside the 8. Changes quickly.

• Like 3

For those with short memories, those who get so upset about the last two games:

It is the end of a long season, a season where Melbourne fielded the youngest team on about 15 occasions.

Hawthorn got whopped by GWS by nearly 100 points and I recall that Geelong suffered a similar fate as well this year. Once a team gets on a roll it's curtains for their opponents. Melbourne suffered this fate once this year, just once...

14 minutes ago, Soidee said:

VP - if you think a 100 plus point loss is excusable, you are a fair  dinkum Knobber! Actually you deserve a spot in the AA Knobber team. It's the likes of you that annoy the Karp out of me with excusing putrid performances by this club.  Unlike you I expect professionalism wether it's the first or last game.  22 players that tossed in the towel against Geelong need to mature very damn quickly.  They appeared to want to get on the booze and have a party ....job done mentality.  We will never ever win another flag with this immaturity. Don't give me nonsense excuses!!!!!

So you're not going to excuse it ?

What does that actually mean and what are you going to do ?

• Like 2

As I said before, everyone  in the coaches box was devastated by how the game turned out. Far worse than the usual schelacking. This was supposed to be Roos celebration farewell send off.  It will cost us memberships and a better fixture. It has rolled back much of the improvement this season. I do not buy this pathetic tiredness excuse. Professional teams do not play tired. They may tire during the game.  I  would have not been so upset if we played well, tired and lost by a regulation 5-6 goals as is usually the case. There was no passion, commitment or effort from the beginning.  Absolutely disgusting and putrid effort.  I hope the players enjoy mad Monday and their trip to Vegas or Bali and the GF when they return.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, america de cali said:

As I said before, everyone  in the coaches box was devastated by how the game turned out. Far worse than the usual schelacking. This was supposed to be Roos celebration farewell send off.  It will cost us memberships and a better fixture. It has rolled back much of the improvement this season. I do not buy this pathetic tiredness excuse. Professional teams do not play tired. They may tire during the game.  I  would have not been so upset if we played well, tired and lost by a regulation 5-6 goals as is usually the case. There was no passion, commitment or effort from the beginning.  Absolutely disgusting and putrid effort.  I hope the players enjoy mad Monday and their trip to Vegas or Bali and the GF when they return.

How many games of AFL have you played?

I wonder at the comment we didn't try.

We had 40 less disposals than the Cats and were better in some categories.

Where we lost badly was in ball use. We were also as a result, down in inside 50's.

Our ball use was disgusting. That led to countless clangers and turnovers and easy Cats goals.

You don't get the ball without trying.  

We got the ball and butchered it.

What would have happened if our ball use was at say 75-80%, a closer game.

Then we wouldn't all be so upset.

We desperately need to fix up our ball use. It is our biggest problem.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I wonder at the comment we didn't try.

We had 40 less disposals than the Cats and were better in some categories.

Where we lost badly was in ball use. We were also as a result, down in inside 50's.

Our ball use was disgusting. That led to countless clangers and turnovers and easy Cats goals.

You don't get the ball without trying.  

We got the ball and butchered it.

What would have happened if our ball use was at say 75-80%, a closer game.

Then we wouldn't all be so upset.

We desperately need to fix up our ball use. It is our biggest problem.

red, i can introduce you to a ball-use expert from romsey, but he's high maintenance and a culture killer.

So Rohan's basically saying that beating Hawthorn then losing to Geelong is worse than if the results were reversed, simply because that's the lasting taste we'll have in our mouths? I prefer the Paul Roos angle: That none of this will even matter next year and when the team is playing finals.

1 hour ago, ProDee said:

So you're not going to excuse it ?

What does that actually mean and what are you going to do ?

Did you go to school PD? Is it not clear in my comments how I feel about 100 points smackings? To make it crystal clear just for you, I have done what I am going to do, I have made a comment on DL, as is my democratic right!

49 minutes ago, Nasher said:

So much chest beating in this thread.  VP has nailed it I reckon.

It's an opinion site Nasher, people from all over the planet see things differently.  Don't take the moral high ground buddy because your little power base let's you.

25 minutes ago, Soidee said:

It's an opinion site Nasher, people from all over the planet see things differently.  Don't take the moral high ground buddy because your little power base let's you.

Thanks for the advice.  My view has nothing to do with my "little power base", whatever that is.

For those belittling Connolly for his writing of Essendrug. 

By those Drug Cheats beating Carlton in Round 23 it probably assures them a huge membership surge after Trade Week. They beat Carlscum easily. 

We were beaten by both. 

Those accepting how the season finished will always accept an excuse. For the players to switch off after Round 21 is a pure lack of leadership..

but i am sure many will shout me down

don't really care. 

Good sides Peak right now

the shite ones go to Bali

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

For those belittling Connolly for his writing of Essendrug. 

By those Drug Cheats beating Carlton in Round 23 it probably assures them a huge membership surge after Trade Week. They beat Carlscum easily. 

We were beaten by both. 

Those accepting how the season finished will always accept an excuse. For the players to switch off after Round 21 is a pure lack of leadership..

but i am sure many will shout me down

don't really care. 

Good sides Peak right now

the shite ones go to Bali

What does not accepting it look like and how does it differ from accepting it ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chook said:

So Rohan's basically saying that beating Hawthorn then losing to Geelong is worse than if the results were reversed, simply because that's the lasting taste we'll have in our mouths? I prefer the Paul Roos angle: That none of this will even matter next year and when the team is playing finals.

What the last 2 weeks showed is that you can take nothing for granted.  I think the attitude that we are going to imminently play finals, is the main cause of complacency, as evidenced over the last 2 weeks.  Come trade period, draft and pre-season training, there will be a few sides currently outside the 8 saying exactly the same thing.  As each year goes by, the ante is upped incrementally.  Who will go out of the 8 next year?  St. Kilda honestly believe they will be a show next year, given how they finished off their season. I suspect Carlton, Power, Collingwood and Essendon will have similar expectations. I can only see North going out next year.   Over the last 10 years, history has shown us that the final 8 does not radically change from one year to the next.  For us there will be nothing guaranteed unless we are prepared to work for it.

One thing that we have shown this year is that we are still not prepared to work hard enough, both mentally and physically.

• Like 2

Accept
əkˈsɛpt/
verb
gerund or present participle: accepting
  1. 1.
    consent to receive or undertake (something offered).
    "he accepted a pen as a present"
    synonyms: receive, agree to receive, welcome, take, take receipt of, get, gain, obtain, acquire,come by More
  2. 2.
    believe or come to recognize (a proposition) as valid or correct.
    "this tentative explanation came to be accepted by the men"
    synonyms: believe, trust, give credence to, credit, give credit to, put confidence in, be convinced of, have faith in, count on, rely on, depend on; More

In our case, it's related to the above. Arguments are put forward regarding youth/being tired//etc, and we refuse to believe or come to recognize (a proposition) as valid or correct.

Some people on here are craving to be seen as having the high ground. News for you guys. We are not far off the mark.

Apologies for answering for SWYL. No offence intended.

Edited by faultydet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

What the last 2 weeks showed is that you can take nothing for granted.  I think the attitude that we are going to imminently play finals, is the main cause of complacency, as evidenced over the last 2 weeks.  Come trade period, draft and pre-season training, there will be a few sides currently outside the 8 saying exactly the same thing.  As each year goes by, the ante is upped incrementally.  Who will go out of the 8 next year?  St. Kilda honestly believe they will be a show next year, given how they finished off their season. I suspect Carlton, Power, Collingwood and Essendon will have similar expectations. I can only see North going out next year.   Over the last 10 years, history has shown us that the final 8 does not radically change from one year to the next.  For us there will be nothing guaranteed unless we are prepared to work for it.

One thing that we have shown this year is that we are still not prepared to work hard enough, both mentally and physically.

Every minute, of every game, every season.

People talked about tanking, and what it meant to our losing culture. This is little different. Putting the cue in the rack with 2 games to go will not cut it.

I don't pay for a 21 week membership.

Who  cares  what  RC  wrote.    His miserable cheating  club got  the  spoon  it  so richly  deserved

There is excuses and then there is reality.

We keep hearing about how young a team we are and you can dismiss all you like but there is a reason why 2 and 3 year old horses don't win Melbourne cups. There is a reason why brand new entrants into formula one scene don't take out the big prize and there is reason why 10 year old scotch works much better than something that was bottled yesterday. I am impatient as anybody. We are not strong enough. We are not mature enough. We are not mentally tough enough. I don't see that as an excuse  - that is where we are at here and now. 

Under Roos each year i have seen the good get better and the bad get less. I have seen what looks like a list that can go places be assembled. I expect to improve next year again and if we have the same improvement on this years base that means finals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Every minute, of every game, every season.

People talked about tanking, and what it meant to our losing culture. This is little different. Putting the cue in the rack with 2 games to go will not cut it.

I don't pay for a 21 week membership.

It isn't just the last two weeks, we got beaten by a VFL side in Round 2, add in St Kilda then to finish off Carlton and an absolute flogging to finish.  Two of those games we should have never lost and we needed to beat St Kilda once.  I have major concerns about player mindset and till this can be fixed we will continue to struggle. Unfortunate for our club this mental fragility goes back a long long way and maybe as a club we just can't shake it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Who  cares  what  RC  wrote.    His miserable cheating  club got  the  spoon  it  so richly  deserved

Problem is they didn't richly deserve pick 1 N.D, and pick 1 P.S.D

Just now, drdrake said:

It isn't just the last two weeks, we got beaten by a VFL side in Round 2, add in St Kilda then to finish off Carlton and an absolute flogging to finish.  Two of those games we should have never lost and we needed to beat St Kilda once.  I have major concerns about player mindset and till this can be fixed we will continue to struggle. Unfortunate for our club this mental fragility goes back a long long way and maybe as a club we just can't shake it. 

There can be no doubt that we are improving drd. Witness the Horforn win, and Port in Adelaide.

But the days of 100 point capitulations should be behind us. I have faith in the list as far as talent goes, but I still believe we are mentally weak.

1 minute ago, faultydet said:

There can be no doubt that we are improving drd. Witness the Horforn win, and Port in Adelaide.

But the days of 100 point capitulations should be behind us. I have faith in the list as far as talent goes, but I still believe we are mentally weak.

I see it slightly different - mentally immature and young.