Rohan Connolly shames pathetic Dee's and Tiges

John Crow Batty

Just now, Vogon Poetry said:

Explain what this means?  It happened.  You either support us or you don't.  It's not a matter of "copping it", that's meaningless rhetoric.

You need an explanation? wow.

Something happened that I take exception to as a supporter, in that I disagree that the teams effort was fine and acceptable, and that we should think a 111 point loss is ok because the boys were tired.

Standards are spoken about often, particularly in regards to a clubs culture. If you are prepared to swat away anything that is negative, then you accept a repeat.

Hawthorn have not "copped" slack standards of effort for the past 3 years, which has contributed to a run of 3 consecutive premierships. That's not "copping" anything unacceptable from your playing list. It's probably the most common phrase in football. Why would anyone need to explain that to you?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, faultydet said:

You need an explanation? wow.

Something happened that I take exception to as a supporter, in that I disagree that the teams effort was fine and acceptable, and that we should think a 111 point loss is ok because the boys were tired.

Standards are spoken about often, particularly in regards to a clubs culture. If you are prepared to swat away anything that is negative, then you accept a repeat.

Hawthorn have not "copped" slack standards of effort for the past 3 years, which has contributed to a run of 3 consecutive premierships. That's not "copping" anything unacceptable from your playing list. It's probably the most common phrase in football. Why would anyone need to explain that to you?

So you're "not going to cop it".  What are you going to do?  [censored] on Demonland.  Wow.

Yes, I do need an explanation and you haven't offered one.

BTW you're not the only one.  SWYL won't cop it either.  Wow.  Such powerful and meaningless talk.  Almost as bad as Connolly's pathetic article.

Edited by Vogon Poetry
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The last two weeks of the season sucked the joy (and there is little) out of being a Melbourne Supporter. It wasn't the loss against Geelong but rather two less than insipid performances when the supporter base had every right to expect better.

As Jaded pointed out on another thread the last two weeks will probably cost around 3000 members for next year.

The article is spot on and moreover it shows how we are perceived. 

And likely lost a couple of  Friday night games that will now go to the druggies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vogon Poetry said:

So you're "not going to cop it".  What are you going to do?  [censored] on Demonland.  Wow.

Yes, I do need an explanation and you haven't offered one.

wtf are you here for then Vo?

Have a look at the people who agree with me, and don't need a thesaurus quoted to them with my posts.

Happy clappers who are cool with us losing by 100+, do my head in. 

If people like you are involved at high levels in clubs, you end up with a side like we have for the past decade. Accepting crud year after year.

• Like 1

Just now, faultydet said:

wtf are you here for then Vo?

Have a look at the people who agree with me, and don't need a thesaurus quoted to them with my posts.

Happy clappers who are cool with us losing by 100+, do my head in. 

If people like you are involved at high levels in clubs, you end up with a side like we have for the past decade. Accepting crud year after year.

Who the f said anyone was "cool with us losing by 100+".  Some will slit their wrists thinking of the last 48 hours, others will try and analyse it and look at  it in terms of the season.

You said you "wouldn't cop it".  That implies some sort of action on your part.  What are you going to do?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Who the f said anyone was "cool with us losing by 100+".  Some will slit their wrists thinking of the last 48 hours, others will try and analyse it and look at  it in terms of the season.

You said you "wouldn't cop it".  That implies some sort of action on your part.  What are you going to do?

Bloody hell.

My post was in response to another poster who used that term, saying he "could cop losing to Geelong", so I replied in kind. Go back through the posts and have a read.

Why do such simple things need to be explained to people?

What are you going to do?

Edited by faultydet

5 minutes ago, faultydet said:

You're struggling.  I've told you what I'll do in my post.  I'll try and understand it.  I'll look at it in context of the whole season.  

You've not told me what you'll do other than "I won't cop it".  Wow.

Edited by Vogon Poetry
Grammar, can't stand the police!

25 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Explain what this means?  It happened.  You either support us or you don't.  It's not a matter of "copping it", that's meaningless rhetoric.

it's not meaningless. being a fan is not some precise scientific analysis, it's about passion

nothing wrong with connolly's article. it was a pathetic effort deserving a big bake. didn't see the filth lie down for a "meaningless" game.

• Like 1

Just now, Vogon Poetry said:

Your struggling.  I've told you what I'll do in my post.  I'll try and understand it.  I'll look at it in context of the whole season.  

You've not told me what you'll do other than "I won't cop it".  Wow.

I'm not looking at this game in the context of the whole season, because I am not required to. 

We have improved, and pleasantly so.

I do not accept that the reasons put forward in this thread for our garbage performance are legitimate.

I am talking about being assraped by 111 points in the last game we played. Nothing that happened in previous rounds changes my assessment of that result.

The comment you think you are so clever in attacking, was directed at another poster who used the same term. I don't need to explain it to you, because he understood, without trying to paint himself as being clever, which you are failing miserably at.

12 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Bloody hell.

My post was in response to another poster who used that term, saying he "could cop losing to Geelong", so I replied in kind. Go back through the posts and have a read.

Why do such simple things need to be explained to people?

So you're trying to say that you literally can't even?

• Like 1

Two teams who have promised so much both get belted on last day, let's write an article about them stating the obvious    that should earn my pay for this week    

Me,   didnt bother reading it, have already moved on   looking forward to draft and trade and Casey's run in the finals    nobody died   it's just footy    we get another go next year

• Like 2

Sorry, I can't look past Connolly's Essendon colours shining through in that article. An opportunity to turn the disgrace that is the EFC and their supporters into the feel good story of the year. Pass the bucket.

As for the contrast with the MFC (which is just an excuse to pump up his own club imo), it's a sad end to the year and the Roos era, but as VP alludes to, when you remove the emotion it can be explained to a degree. Articles that give little creed to reasons outside of "the players don't care" are basically lazy.

The youth at all costs policy adopted at selection this season yielded some pleasing and surprising results, but the bite in the backside seemed inevitable, and it arrived in the last two weeks.

My greatest hope is that the last game acts as a driver for the players over the off season.

• Like 5

Did anyone hear Finey yesterday morning with Robert Shaw? Wow did he give us a serve! Very, very cross on behalf of us poor old Demons supporters. It was hilarious, doesn't do things by halves that bloke.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Remind me where I said we beat them?

Well you point out that "after all, Essendon played a bottom 5 team", which I interpret as meaning that being critical of Melbourne losing to a top 2 team isn't the same as having an easy final game against a bad team. Except we also lost to Carlton, which imo makes Connolly's critique here all the more relevant. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It is a 23 week Season not 21 Weeks

for the players to switch off after the Port game is not on

The same excuses i have heard for a decade. 

Agree, our players are satisfied to easy. They sit back accept that 10 wins is enough for a pass mark for the season.  We have no on field leadership when things don't go our way.  This season reminds me the 2010 season games kids coming through a lot of potential, we all know what happened over the next 5 years I hope this group fixes their mental fragility over the upcoming pre-season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, praha said:

Well you point out that "after all, Essendon played a bottom 5 team", which I interpret as meaning that being critical of Melbourne losing to a top 2 team isn't the same as having an easy final game against a bad team. Except we also lost to Carlton, which imo makes Connolly's critique here all the more relevant. 

As I said in my post, the crust of his article is spot on.  The performance was shocking.

But to compare it to Essendon against us on the weekend is comparing apples with oranges.  Quality of opposition was totally different.  We were pathetic, make no mistake, but if he wanted to compare Essendon's effort against Carlton with something we dished up, then compare it from the previous week.

As others have pointed out, we were clearly cooked these last two weeks, not that it's an excuse.  Facing a top 2 team on it's home deck, chasing percentage for positioning in the 8, same as Richmond.  Essendon faced a bottom 5 team on neutral territory with both teams playing for pride only.  If he had of compared Melbourne v Carlton to Essendon v Carlton then fine.  But he didn't.

Collingwood's performance yesterday was clearly a much better example to use.  He uses that then it's a very good piece.  But because he uses the example he does, it's nothing more then a gutter piece written by someone with his red & black goggles on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Agree, our players are satisfied to easy. They sit back accept that 10 wins is enough for a pass mark for the season.  We have no on field leadership when things don't go our way.  This season reminds me the 2010 season games kids coming through a lot of potential, we all know what happened over the next 5 years I hope this group fixes their mental fragility over the upcoming pre-season

On this Dr I agree

We have not improved mentally

I would like to know form all the "experts" out there. What is going to change next year to make a real improvement?

It seems to me we still lack any signs of on field leadership and the mental fragility is appalling even after a complete rebuild off filed and significant sums being spent over the last 3 years

I dont believe we have improved sufficiently for that investment

I fear that there still exists the possibility of near zero improvement next season and that is disturbing.

Edited by jackaub
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Thank You. Someone understands where i am coming from. 

If the players are ready to switch off before Round 23 well they are not being conditioned well enough, by the club & themselves. 

The length of the season is known to all well in advance

21 minutes ago, drdrake said:

It's definitely not 'acceptable' but with such a young, developing team (lacking in mature leadership) it's understandable as to why it could happen. I just hope we continue our rise next year to the point where this doesn't happen again.

We're worlds apart from the 2010 situation. This side will continue to gain momentum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackaub said:

On this Dr I agree

We have not improved mentally

I would like to know form all the "experts" out there. What is going to change next year to make a real improvement?

It seems to me we still lack any signs of on field leadership and the mental fragility is appalling even after a complete rebuild off filed and significant sums being spent over the last 3 years

I dont believe we have improved sufficiently for that investment

I fear that there still exists the possibility of near zero improvement next season and that is distubing

Probably the same thing that improved from 2014 to 2015 & then 2015 to 2016.

One of the reasons why Saturday was so disspointing is because we had stopped the rot to a large extent.  Our biggest defeat was 55 points where Sydney kicked 6 goals in the last 10-15 minutes.  We've found a way over these few years to win in Adelaide, win down the highway, beat the back to back to back premiers and be in a position to win in the west.

We've got guys like Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca who should be absolutely filthy with how the season has finished and vow not to let it happen again.  And they'll learn from it going forward.

Next year we'll see the addition of Melksham & likely Hibberd to our half back/midfield rotation and another pre-season into Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Hunt, Stretch, Hogan, Weideman, Tyson, Salem, Gawn etc, etc....

Some of the coaches at the club, in particular Goodwin & Cross should will be pushing our young and older leaders more and more about what they should be demanding from themsleves and eachother going forward.

Don't let these last two weeks derail what has been a most impressive season.  Only three years ago we came off a season worse then the one just dished up by Essendon minus it's banned 12 players.  There's still plenty of improvement left in this squad.

25 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Thank You. Someone understands where i am coming from. 

If the players are ready to switch off before Round 23 well they are not being conditioned well enough, by the club & themselves. 

The length of the season is known to all well in advance

12 minutes ago, Django said:

It's definitely not 'acceptable' but with such a young, developing team (lacking in mature leadership) it's understandable as to why it could happen. I just hope we continue our rise next year to the point where this doesn't happen again.

We're worlds apart from the 2010 situation. This side will continue to gain momentum.

Same thing happened to St Kilda in the last round last year & now their the media's favourite team outside the 8.

http://www.finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=7048&Code=03dd1ea7cf2760cd30904bf93bbb0300

• Like 1