This smells like 1987

prymke19

2 minutes ago, willmoy said:

How do you blokes remember these games so vividly? The only one i recall some of was 1970 GF standing on Large Beer cans. Plus Bluey Shelton at Windy usually losing and Carl at Moorabbin,free barrels... 

I wasn't drinking during games in 1976

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, willmoy said:

How do you blokes remember these games so vividly? The only one i recall some of was 1970 GF standing on Large Beer cans. Plus Bluey Shelton at Windy usually losing and Carl at Moorabbin,free barrels... 

You're doing pretty well considering the beer cans and barrels willmoy!

3 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

You're doing pretty well considering the beer cans and barrels willmoy!

Only started living back at home when i got married. Everything was so much cheaper then. You could buy most of your smokes off a fence. Your other smokes off sailors from Fiji and half a dozen large bottles for $2.plus a free ticket to Festival Hall.

• Like 2

On 15 August 2016 at 6:38 PM, qarocks said:

I don't know what I want to happen, because I am worried if they do make it for future years.

Hopefully some mental demons have been broken, but I am worried that if they do make finals, complacency could set in for 2017.

I feel like just missing out would be better for the team, especially when some close losses should have had us in the finals anyway.

We took the momentum from 87 into 88 to play in a GF.

MFC, dare to dream.

• Like 2

On 14 August 2016 at 10:02 PM, Chook said:

I hope Gawny doesn't run through the mark though….

Beware the smokey Vanders 37

• Like 1

I remember that month so vividly, was at Fooscray through till the tragic end, was rush, thrill and heartbreak.

First time I felt the addiction and high of finals footy fever, with the inevitable cold turkey as we fell short.

Bring it on!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Deevout said:

We took the momentum from 87 into 88 to play in a GF.

MFC, dare to dream.

Can we not talk about the 88 GF...

please?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tilly18 said:

The Carlton v Footscray game was played at Princes's Park with Carlton the favourites.

Walls had the chance to win the game with a kick he duffed and Bernie Quinlan touched it on the goal line. That was the end of the game and the game was drawn.

Wearmouth knocked out Laurie Fowler at the first bounce and he woke up being carried up the race and had to be restrained trying to get back on the field.

That was his game finished. We played with one man down

2 weeks earlier at Moorabbin Ray Biffen planted a kiss on Trevor Barker in front of the St Kilda cheer squad before the first bounce. Sent the crowd into a frenzy.

1977 was a year of hope but that was it until 10 years later in 1987 when that moment when Dunstall goaled at Geelong being my greatest memory at a Dees game.

Thanks Tilly, I was at Surfers last round 76, so my recollection is among Rugby scores and the races.

12 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Can we not talk about the 88 GF...

please?

Would you rather we won another wooden spoon that year?

I will take the extremely disappointing GF appearance any day of the week ??

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 7:38 PM, qarocks said:

I don't know what I want to happen, because I am worried if they do make it for future years.

Hopefully some mental demons have been broken, but I am worried that if they do make finals, complacency could set in for 2017.

I feel like just missing out would be better for the team, especially when some close losses should have had us in the finals anyway.

Despite the only man on the board who rejects mediocrity slapping you down (and his rejection of said mediocrity truly has borne fruit up until this very day), I can sort of see where you are coming from.

Us making the finals may give us a false floor as to how good we really are (though I would clearly prefer we make it as opposed to not). A lot of 'Landers were sure to have been around for the Daniher years where complacency DID settle in during the years of 1999 and 2001. It has happened to other teams as well. Richmond of 2001-2002 was a good example (though I believe their biggest issue revolved around band aid recruiting in 2002 as well as them getting ahead of themselves).

Of course, this complacency can be countered by a good coach, leadership group and recruiting team who won't allow the rank and file playing group to get ahead of themselves. It will be a real testament to Roosy if he can make sure that staggering into the finals in 8th spot isn't viewed as some magnificent achievement worthy of enshrining in the annals of AFL history. 

A lot of how we progress next year is largely dependent on how the opposition progresses as well. Can Essendon keep their banned twelve together and make a push for the bottom half of the eight under a coach who isn't an incompetent egomaniac? Can the Roos patch together their team of grandads again? Is Richmond's list really as diabolical as some say? Can Port regroup after two middling years? Can the Saints build on the momentum of this year and push to be a real contender? To keep up with these teams, we need to improve on what we have achieved this year by a minimum of 15% (we need to improve 50% or more on internal targets to get top 4). 

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
spelling

1 hour ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Despite the only man on the board who rejects mediocrity slapping you down (and his rejection of said mediocrity truly has borne fruit up until this very day), I can sort of see where you are coming from.

Us making the finals may give us a false floor as to how good we really are (though I would clearly prefer we make it as opposed to not). A lot of 'Landers were sure to have been around for the Daniher years where complacency DID settle in during the years of 1999 and 2001. It has happened to other teams as well. Richmond of 2001-2002 was a good example (though I believe their biggest issue revolved around band aid recruiting in 2002 as well as them getting ahead of themselves).

Of course, this complacency can be countered by a good coach, leadership group and recruiting team who won't allow the rank and file playing group to get ahead of themselves. It will be a real testament to Roosy if he can make sure that staggering into the finals in 8th spot isn't viewed as some magnificent achievement worthy of enshrining in the annals of AFL history. 

A lot of how we progress next year is largely dependent on how the opposition progresses as well. Can Essendon keep their banned twelve together and make a push for the bottom half of the eight under a coach who isn't an incompetent egomaniac? Can the Roos patch together their team of grandads again? Is Richmond's list really as diabolical as some say? Can Port regroup after two middling years? Can the Saints build on the momentum of this year and push to be a real contender? To keep up with these teams, we need to improve on what we have achieved this year by a minimum of 15% (we need to improve 50% or more on internal targets to get top 4). 

So let's never make the finals then because we might slack off the year after.

I reckon those other teams you mentioned (and a few above them) should be worried about us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

For some reason in my mind I pictured all those questions being posed like a classic radio play cliff hanger with dramatic sound effects. Only thing you'd need to add would be a line like, "all these questions and more will be answers in another dramatic season of the....'Australian, Football, League!'"

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ricky P said:

So let's never make the finals then because we might slack off the year after.

I reckon those other teams you mentioned (and a few above them) should be worried about us.

Actually, my personal preference is that we finish bottom four again. That gives us an even higher ceiling to aim for.The potential for improvement is endless. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

....And cue posters saying 'HE SUD WE SHUDDNA MAKE DE FINALS! WHAT DUN WRONG WID YOO?!'

If we can make the finals, then we take that chance. My point is that making the finals ahead of schedule (at least in the eyes of some) can bring reward but also can bring about other risks. Playing footy itself brings risk and reward. Why even turn up to play a game if there is the possibility you might lose? Of course we need to embrace the risks that making the finals brings (i.e. it also puts a bigger bullseye on our back) but we need to be cognizant of these risks and make sure that it doesn't make us lose sight of where we are and that we are aware that our placing is largely determined by the rate of our improvement vs. that of our nearest competitiors.

3 hours ago, Pates said:

For some reason in my mind I pictured all those questions being posed like a classic radio play cliff hanger with dramatic sound effects. Only thing you'd need to add would be a line like, "all these questions and more will be answers in another dramatic season of the....'Australian, Football, League!'"

I would prefer the old 60's Batman series in this case as the Riddler did actually make the rounds of these boards at one stage. I like to think of him as a Frank Gorshinesque style figure, plotting and scheming behind his keyboard.

13 hours ago, tilly18 said:

The Carlton v Footscray game was played at Princes's Park with Carlton the favourites.

Walls had the chance to win the game with a kick he duffed and Bernie Quinlan touched it on the goal line. That was the end of the game and the game was drawn.

Wearmouth knocked out Laurie Fowler at the first bounce and he woke up being carried up the race and had to be restrained trying to get back on the field.

That was his game finished. We played with one man down

2 weeks earlier at Moorabbin Ray Biffen planted a kiss on Trevor Barker in front of the St Kilda cheer squad before the first bounce. Sent the crowd into a frenzy.

1977 was a year of hope but that was it until 10 years later in 1987 when that moment when Dunstall goaled at Geelong being my greatest memory at a Dees game.

Mine too. And was at the Vic park game in '76, the only game I ever went to at Vic Park. I was 11, and stood on those steel spined cans (imagine standing on cans now) behind the goals at the Kew end. Had no idea what was going on down the other end. Also remember the crowd being feral in a way I'd never encountered before. Was that the year they moved Ray Biffin to full forward? Hard to believe nothing came of that, and it took us 11 years to get close again. That Bulldogs game was the first time I'd been to the Western Oval as well. Hmmmm.......maybe I should get down to Kardinia Park in a couple of weeks. 

11 hours ago, Deevout said:

Would you rather we won another wooden spoon that year?

I will take the extremely disappointing GF appearance any day of the week ??

Having followed and loved the journey into two GF appearances thus far, I agree, it's MUCH better than a spoon.

However, both times we got there on a burst of inspired footy and found ourselves massively out of our class up against a genuinely champion team, in their prime. From that I've learnt to discern and hope that next time we find ourselves in a GF its us who is the genuinely champion team.

Fingers crossed. Third time a treat... and all that.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

....And cue posters saying 'HE SUD WE SHUDDNA MAKE DE FINALS! WHAT DUN WRONG WID YOO?!'

If we can make the finals, then we take that chance. My point is that making the finals ahead of schedule (at least in the eyes of some) can bring reward but also can bring about other risks. Playing footy itself brings risk and reward. Why even turn up to play a game if there is the possibility you might lose? Of course we need to embrace the risks that making the finals brings (i.e. it also puts a bigger bullseye on our back) but we need to be cognizant of these risks and make sure that it doesn't make us lose sight of where we are and that we are aware that our placing is largely determined by the rate of our improvement vs. that of our nearest competitiors.

There's no schedule. We'll make finals when we're good enough to make finals.

Indicating concern about the negative ramifications of making the finals is peak MFCSS. At some stage we all have to stop assuming the worst is about to happen. I'd invite you to take to that step now. It's very liberating!

• Like 5

I've never encountered such bizarre logic.  It has been proven unequivocally that finals experience is all but a mandatory prerequisite to winning premierships (save for a couple of "stolen" flags).  How then is there such a concept as "bad" finals experience or finals experience "before time"??  Keep the focus on Carlton for sure this week (no guarantee anyway that the Swans do the right thing), but be in no doubt the objective is to play finals and go as deep in to September as the momentum roll will carry us.  We could well be cruelled by injury next year and miss out on finals...who's to know?  Get this young group accustomed to playing in September as soon as possible - it can only serve to feed their hunger, cement their belief and reduce the chance of them being overawed in subsequent finals campaigns.

• Like 5

I think we've ended the year ahead of schedule, whereas half way through the year we were behind schedule, if we make the finals it will be because we deserve to and if we don't it's because we've dropped games early in the year we shouldn't have. Having said that, we probably dropped those games because we were trying to play a different style and if we weren't, we may have won those games, but we maybe wouldn't be where we are today, a really competitive unit.

I doubt us making the finals this year will be detrimental to our ongoing development and if we do it won't have any bearing on what happens next year, we have a very professional unit running the show now.

We are not Richmond and if we do make the finals, our group's leaders will not allow the players to get ahead of themselves, Richmond just naturally expect they will get there the following year because that's how it evolves, well it doesn't.

45 minutes ago, Copuchas said:

I've never encountered such bizarre logic.  It has been proven unequivocally that finals experience is all but a mandatory prerequisite to winning premierships (save for a couple of "stolen" flags).  How then is there such a concept as "bad" finals experience or finals experience "before time"??  Keep the focus on Carlton for sure this week (no guarantee anyway that the Swans do the right thing), but be in no doubt the objective is to play finals and go as deep in to September as the momentum roll will carry us.  We could well be cruelled by injury next year and miss out on finals...who's to know?  Get this young group accustomed to playing in September as soon as possible - it can only serve to feed their hunger, cement their belief and reduce the chance of them being overawed in subsequent finals campaigns.

Absolutely. Finals experience is vital and the sooner we start acquiring it the better.

• Like 3

On 16 August 2016 at 0:24 PM, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Must be more than 23 years, Radar.....''76 was 37 yrs ago.

I remember the Coll. supporters near me at Victoria Park cheering when they knew we couldn't make the finals. I guess it was because we made them  win the spoon. I liked that because I hated Weideman(Then!), and he coached them to the spoon.

I've finally forgiven the Weed for'58, now his grandson is part of our resurgence.!

1976 was 40 years ago

• Like 1