Farewell and Thank You, Roosy!

Lucifers Hero

As Roos is into his last month I thought it may be worth recognising his contribution in a separate thread. If mods feel thread should be merged elsewhere, no prob.

First contribution from our likely future captain, Jack Viney: “I think his greatest legacy at the football club will be the culture. Hopefully down the track when we are being successful, it will be Roosy that set the foundation for that...I will miss him a great deal. He has been terrific for our football club, coming in when the club wasn’t going so well and really setting some strong foundations.”   http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/paul-roos-to-test-demons-young-talent-against-hawthorn/news-story/718fb452b3441a1c22724475d8151bdd 

I recall Jack saying in an interview recently saying that 'Roosy is the 'boss dog' said with the earnestness that left no doubt as to who is in charge and in a tone that had awe, respect and adoration. 

From Jack Watts recently:  'Roosy’s probably saved my career, to be honest...It’s his person skills and the way he actually invests in his players outside of football'.

Methinks that along with the undoubted respect in which Roos is held there is also much love from the players. 

People may find fault with some Roos' decision, rate of improvement etc but he never lost sight of the end game: setting up our club for a successful future.  I believe he has delivered that in spades.  He (and PJ et al) has made MFC relevant again. I will be eternally grateful for restoring pride in my club again.

Following on from Jack's words above when we are being successful, it will be Roosy that set the foundation for that, my dream vision is Barassi and Roos presenting the Premiership Cup to Jones and or Viney! 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 31

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

A farewell game for one of the greatest coaches in the modern era and where does the AFL put his last game? Down at the shithole in Geelong..

[censored] idiots.

Added incentive to towel them up at their home ground again.

• Like 5

PJ's goal/expectation was to play a final under Roos.  He declared this publicly and openly last year.

We should've beaten North, Essendon and West Coast this year.  That would have us on 11-7, and entrenched in the Top 8.  Reality is, we didn't, and this has cost us a final this year.  Roos nearly delivered on the promise of our CEO, and I think that's a bloody amazing effort considering what we were like in Roos' first season, just 3 years ago.  All this while frequently fielding the youngest team in the entire competition, week after week.

I am in no doubt that we will play final/s next year, and will be investing with Sportsbet on a regular basis until then.

Roos, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have done to this team.  My son has just turned 2, and I'm excited that as he goes through Primary School, all the other kids will be jealous of him when he wears his MFC jumper to class.

• Like 11

ROOS =HERO:roos:

Anyone who has any doubt about what Roos has achieved at our club hope you can now believe.

Not a Premiership but would have to go down as one of his most satisfying wins!

Lets win a few more to see Roos off in style!!

• Like 3

While the venue may not be ideal, the win to send him off would be incredible. 2 in a row at the nations arseholé

oh! The little é snuck it through!

Edited by Eelesie
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I will be emotional saying goodbye.

He has saved this football club.

And this young man will find it the hardest to say goodbye: 

8P+X2LiYPMg2bAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

2CW01ymwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

tbh, I choke up looking at these pics.

• Like 4

I truly believe that we have a football club to support because of Roos. 

Three more years of on field rubbish and we would be gone. 

We owe Roos everything. Because of him we didn't just survive but we are now on the verge of thriving. 

• Like 2

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

I know Roosy said he'll never coach again but jeez if its one club that desperately needs Paul Roos its Brisbane right at this minute. 

Not even Roos can save Brisbane.

A great article about the three years with Roos.  It is a great tribute to him.  I guess we expect quite a few more in the next few weeks.  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-08-10/how-paul-roos-finally-led-the-recovery

• Roos steadied the ship, preached patience, sold hope, turned over the playing list and support staff, and taught basics-first to the club's emerging stars.
  • Starting at ground zero (2014), he stripped back the game-plan and put the emphasis on contested football to relieve an under-siege backline.
  • Solid foundations were set in stone. Next, attack had to be built on top..."We were a team that could defend, but we were exhausted when we got the ball and we'd struggle to get it forward," Roos told AFL.com.au leading into the 2015 campaign.
  • In 2015, long-suffering fans started to see the first glimpses of the hard-running offence that overwhelmed the Hawks.
  • This year (2016) was all about balance...The Demons have tightened up defensively once again, and their attack is becoming deadly... But, crucially, the fundamentals of contested ball – the Demons are ranked fifth in the AFL – haven't been forgotten.

And the moving part for me:  "It will be one of the highlights of my football career if they can get to September and go deep into September, and me sitting in the grandstand watching," Roos told 3AW on Sunday..."I'd be the first one to congratulate Simon and the players, because it is pretty exciting for the club."

While everyone, Macca, Goodwin et al have done their bit to improve us on field it is Roos who mastermind the recovery plan and ensured it has been followed.  To me he is nothing short of genius to get the best out of players, give his subordinates authority althewhile not losing sight of his 3 year plan: 1. Defend, 2.Contest, 3. Attack

As I said in my op above: 'my dream vision is Barassi and Roos presenting the Premiership Cup to Jones and or Viney!'

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5

Anyone else here see countless parralells between Roosy and Daniher?
Their demeanour, their approach to the game, the MFC's love for him.

I got really upset and couldn't understand why when Neale left, and I will feel the same when Roos leaves.
However I am slightly hopeful that we will see him around the club a little more often than he lets on.

In addition, I have nothing but faith in Goody, he knows modern footy, he has been in champion teams and has been taught by the best in the business.

My wife is a school teacher and she tough a kid who wore his Melbourne jumper to every footy dress day at school with pride but in his life time he had never been to a game Melbourne had actually won. 

Paul Roos has changed that.

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

My wife is a school teacher and she tough a kid who wore his Melbourne jumper to every footy dress day at school with pride but in his life time he had never been to a game Melbourne had actually won. 

Paul Roos has changed that.

Geez, what a little champion. Onya lad.

Lots to be thankful for, although i admit i have been one of the impatient barstardz who was always whining " WINS ARE ALL THAT MATTERS"

Thankfully we have a team running the show who know it takes much more work/preparation/ignoring the whiners etc etc to build a club.

Thanks Roosy. Enjoy Hawaii.

• Like 1