Alex Rance

stuie

I have to ask...why all of a sudden so much love for Rance....only 5 mins ago he was worthy of pilloring ?

Personally....dont take the chance....reject the Nance !!

10 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

If Rance is looking to go he might be looking West. Family and church connections would be in that part of the world.

Ah Church connections Uncle!! I remember an episode of "Cracker" staring Robbie Coltrane which involved some very dubious church goings on! Not sure how Church would figure in moves West!? but happy to be illuminated!!

Just now, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Forgiveness given, no need to gloat here as think there will be a few lining up to have a laugh

I shouldn't be posting after a few too many wines with dinner. Waiting for stuie, satyr and BBO to give me a deserved serve...  

I have sinned...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Ah Church connections Uncle!! I remember an episode of "Cracker" staring Robbie Coltrane which involved some very dubious church goings on! Not sure how Church would figure in moves West!? but happy to be illuminated!!

I'd be very happy to illuminate you picket !!  With a flame thrower!!!

• Like 2

he doesnt have birthdays !! :unsure:

26 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

He's contracted until the end of 2019 and only signed the extension last season. Regardless of whatever rubbish Ralph is spruiking, Rance won't be going anywhere at the end of the season. 

Contracted players can still be traded, you know that right?

The backpedaling begins: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brett-deledio-says-richmond-teammate-alex-rance-deserves-longer-offseason-break/news-story/8685cc3e6a4bbfaedb482dcf367716d4  "ALEX Rance’s extra-long off-season break last summer will be a one-off... The Tigers have denied Rance’s extended annual leave request last year was a source of friction among the players this season"

Deledio "...was adamant Rance deserved the extra off-season privilege due to his excellent on-field form in recent seasons".  This is the most bizarre comment to come from a club.  Since when is one player singled out and rewarded for individual excellent on-field form.

Reiwoldt who has far more individual honours would have every right to sing:  What about me! 

Rance won't leave but he may have to learn that 'Team' does not include an 'i'!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The backpedaling begins: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brett-deledio-says-richmond-teammate-alex-rance-deserves-longer-offseason-break/news-story/8685cc3e6a4bbfaedb482dcf367716d4  "ALEX Rance’s extra-long off-season break last summer will be a one-off... The Tigers have denied Rance’s extended annual leave request last year was a source of friction among the players this season"

Deledio "...was adamant Rance deserved the extra off-season privilege due to his excellent on-field form in recent seasons".  This is the most bizarre comment to come from a club.  Since when is one player singled out and rewarded for individual excellent on-field form.

Reiwoldt who has far more individual honours would have every right to sing:  What about me! 

Rance won't leave but he may have to learn that 'Team' does not include an 'i'!!

But it does have a 'me'.

12 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

If Rance is looking to go he might be looking West. Family and church connections would be in that part of the world.

Agreed, he nearly retired a few years ago and wanted to return to his family. 

I think he'd be fairly fed up with the ongoing saga that is Richmond the basketcase; not surprised if he's regretting his decision to re-sign.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Actually, he'll be 27 at the end of next season, but don't let the facts get in the way of your view.

4 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Forgiveness given, no need to gloat here as think there will be a few lining up to have a laugh

I will provide the final stamp of forgiveness on the reply to my comment! But Yes. I saw 1989 on Wikipedia and said he'll be 28 next year, wasn't trying to be a politician. Didn't realise it was at the end of the season. Put it this way. A first round and Brayshaw for a KPD that will be 30 at the end of 2019!  Crazy if you ask me. Would we even get three full seasons in before he's 30? He'll start developing injuries at some point and may miss half a season at some point and then how long will he be able to keep big forwards quiet?  

Rance would have been the big fish to get at the end of 2014 with our pick 3 + Salem

Edited by johndemons

The whole point about the discussion about Rance is the need for Richmond to build a list, and to make heavy sacrifices in order to do so. Rance would be one of the few players on their list who has the currency to do so. They could ask the equivalent of 2 high first-round picks in an apparently very god draft (or, yes, a first round pick and the equivalent of Brayshaw) for a 27 year old star defender who will not be around long enough to play in their next premiership, but who might be able to give them two great young players who will.

If they do bite the bullet & decide to trade Rance, they could get three top-10 picks in this draft - or 2 top 10s and a great young kid from the last draft or two. Rance would be super-attractive for teams just opening their window now and wanting to top up, and who might be prepared to give plenty to get him. The outstanding example would be the Dogs, who would gain much more than they lose by trading in Rance & trading out one of their top young guns and their first rounder.

There's been similar talk about trading Deledio - if a club with an ageing list just outside the top group believes that Lids is the ingredient they're missing to keep their window open and is prepared to take the chance on him, they could pick up another 1st rounder.

It's a question of how ruthless Richmond are prepared to be to trade their way into contention, the way we traded out Frawley to get Brayshaw as well as Petracca. Or whether they'll just muddle along in the same old way.

My understanding is that's it's more a matter of whether Richmond is prepared to trade out the likes of Rance to get ahead, than whether Rance is prepared to desert a sinking ship.

8 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Deledio's comment is bizarre...  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nutbean said:

I never said  Rance wasn't setting good standards but if a player came to me and said he wanted to a negotiate an extended break unless it was for some special circumstances

And how do you know it wasn't for special circumstances?  I bet that they were special for Rance, so why are his teammates sooking about it?  My whole point on this is that if teammates are up in arms about Rance negotiating an approved extended break of a few weeks (and the key here is that it was approved by the club), then they are kidding themselves; particularly given his performances during the year, which prove that any break he had probably did wonders for him.  No wonder their club is going down the gurgler.  

2 hours ago, Glenn Molloy said:

And how do you know it wasn't for special circumstances?  I bet that they were special for Rance, so why are his teammates sooking about it?  My whole point on this is that if teammates are up in arms about Rance negotiating an approved extended break of a few weeks (and the key here is that it was approved by the club), then they are kidding themselves; particularly given his performances during the year, which prove that any break he had probably did wonders for him.  No wonder their club is going down the gurgler.  

We don't know what the circumstances are  - and probably won't . There is a suggestion of it causing friction amongst the group - again no idea whether true or false. I will say if clubs give individuals special consideration purely based on the fact that they are their best players in what is a team sport with the a group trying to reach the pinnacle as a team then you can understand the friction. Players are usually supportive of other players getting consideration for exceptional circumstances. 

• Like 1