Changes vs. Gold Coast

Wiseblood

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

I guess it depends on your size qualification DubDee.

I maintain that if you are small you have to be very good to make it.

I don't believe Kennedy is very good.

thats fair enough.  I reckon he has shown enough to persevere with over the next 2 years. He always goes in hard and works his ar$e off. he has never had a long run at it in his career.  continuity and confidence can have a massive impact.  and HF is a tough position to play consistently well in, especially when losing and not seeing the ball.  

cant be bothered looking it up but Id say the dogs would have at least 2 guys shorter than Kennedy.  Daniel, Hunter, Libba?

Ben Kennedy has serious x factor, and aggression at the ball/man. He is best 22 for us, just needs to find some consistency in his body.

He will be a great addition to Kent and Garlett, and should form our 3rd small forward.

7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

thats fair enough.  I reckon he has shown enough to persevere with over the next 2 years. He always goes in hard and works his ar$e off. he has never had a long run at it in his career.  continuity and confidence can have a massive impact.  and HF is a tough position to play consistently well in, especially when losing and not seeing the ball.  

cant be bothered looking it up but Id say the dogs would have at least 2 guys shorter than Kennedy.  Daniel, Hunter, Libba?

Kennedy is 175CM. Libba 182, Hunter 183 and Daniel 168. So only Daniel is shorter than Kennedy.

Like a lot of players that are super hard at it, Kennedy lacks a bit of awareness of what's going on around him at times. He's also not a great kick. But I reckon he's not a bad little player and I'm interested to see how he turns out. I love his intent.

BenKen came back after just one VFL game last time he was dropped and didn't show too much consistency after that.  Needs to build a good run of form this time I think.  His height is irrelevant.

From what I saw of the VFL game, I'd have Grimes and Oliver at the front of the list of possible recalls.  Garland maybe required if OMac doesn't get up or is rested.  I support him developing in the seniors however.

I would love to see Huelett soon, perhaps for Dawes.

As to who might get dropped, I'd chose anyone who is consistently wasteful and/or a poor decision maker when heading inside F50.  That's the poorest part of our game at the moment and frustrates me no end. To wide.  To low when the F50 is crowded. Kicks that don't favor our forwards.  Is it really that hard....

39 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Er ... one's a forward and one's a back.

One was a Witches hat in Perth.

1 hour ago, old dee said:

I guess it depends on your size qualification DubDee.

I maintain that if you are small you have to be very good to make it.

I don't believe Kennedy is very good.

Oh no sizeism, ageism I can live with, BenKen has never played a full season at AFL level due to circumstances, it is like having a first year player, Roos is treating him as such, sending him back to work on 'little' things, he works his backside off OD, like I did when I played, it is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.....expect BenKen to be a valuable role player going forward

7 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Oh no sizeism, ageism I can live with, BenKen has never played a full season at AFL level due to circumstances, it is like having a first year player, Roos is treating him as such, sending him back to work on 'little' things, he works his backside off OD, like I did when I played, it is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.....expect BenKen to be a valuable role player going forward

Saty, not every player can make it.  Although I actually do like Ben Ken myself, so I agree.

Who would your de-listings be at the end of this season?

I would be reluctant to make any unforced changes, if we play the way we did against the WCE against the Suns but convert a bit better, it'll be an 80 point win.

O'mac out

Oliver In

I think if O'mac misses we're going to have to accept a height disadvantage against the Suns tall forwards, but i think we should have a huge advantage in the middle, so if we smash them in there, it won't matter.

9 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Saty, not every player can make it.  Although I actually do like Ben Ken myself, so I agree.

Who would your de-listings be at the end of this season?

From what I can judge at the moment, and we are never always right, I would say the following, some of whom have not been offered a new contract as yet, this is not a list of who I would like to see delisted

Grimes, Terlich, Pedersen, think JKH may be given a Hunt chance for another year, not sure about Michie or Max King on rookie list, not sure where  Dunn or Garland are either, you don't bring a player for a year like BenKen and then dump him

Make comment about JKH is based on a conversation with Brendan Mc

Edited by Satyriconhome

On 7/25/2016 at 6:19 PM, Satyriconhome said:

From what I can judge at the moment, and we are never always right, I would say the following, some of whom have not been offered a new contract as yet, this is not a list of who I would like to see delisted

Grimes, Terlich, Pedersen, think JKH may be given a Hunt chance for another year, not sure about Michie or Max King on rookie list, not sure where  Dunn or Garland are either, you don't bring a player for a year like BenKen and then dump him

Make comment about JKH is based on a conversation with Brendan Mc

Macca rate JKH?

I wouldn't mind seeing Trengove delisted and Rookied, i think he's got way to much talent to not give one more year, having said that it's going to be tough from here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Abe said:

Macca rate JKH?

I wouldn't mind seeing Trengove delisted and Rookied, i think he's got way to much talent to not give one more year, having said that it's going to be tough from here.

Yes, but the poor bugger can't get an injury free run at it, not sure about Trengove, maybe a trade?.proved he is fit now maybe Richmond again..I was curious about why he dropped out of the team

On 7/25/2016 at 6:35 PM, Satyriconhome said:

Yes, but the poor bugger can't get an injury free run at it, not sure about Trengove, maybe a trade?.proved he is fit now maybe Richmond again..I was curious about why he dropped out of the team

Yeah, he's definitely had a tough year hasn't he, hopefully we persist for another year.

I'm not sure on Trengove either, if we trade him we are going to get a rubbish pick at best in return, maybe a third rounder and i really think he offers more to the group as a leader/ on field leader at VFL level who will put pressure on for a senior spot. 

I hope we give him one more year, but it'll be a tough call for the coaches, i think the fact it's Goodwins call helps him, Goody really rates Trengove.

29 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

I sadly was not gifted with great skill so I had to work had. Again sadly no amount of determination will make up for a deficiency in other areas. If you start off at the shorter end of the player size scale you have a problem. Again IMO no amount of effort will make up for that however a high skill level helps. Again I don't think Kennedy has enough of that to compensate for his lack of height.  Just my opinion but that is how I see him Saty.

1 minute ago, old dee said:

I sadly was not gifted with great skill so I had to work had. Again sadly no amount of determination will make up for a deficiency in other areas. If you start off at the shorter end of the player size scale you have a problem. Again IMO no amount of effort will make up for that however a high skill level helps. Again I don't think Kennedy has enough of that to compensate for his lack of height.  Just my opinion but that is how I see him Saty.

Gee OD, the only player on the list I can look in the eye and you want to get rid of him, can see where you are coming from, but the good thing is, we all have differing opinions, Footy Dept will be the ultimate decision makers though

Not so tough at the selection table this week after a good team effort in Perth. However I would like to see the selectors start each meeting with a clean sheet from now until the end of the season. I would like us to win as many games as possible and balance this with having a look at what we have in the cupboard.

I would look at dropping OMac and maybe giving Hunt a rest.

B: Josh Wagner, Tom McDonald, Neville Jetta

HB: Bernie Vince, Cam Pedersen, Matt Jones

C: Christian Petracca, Clayton Oliver, Dom Tyson

HF: Jeff Garlett, Jack Watts, James Harmes

F: Chris Dawes, Jesse Hogan, Dean Kent

FOLL: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney

I/C: Angus Brayshaw, Billy Stretch, Sam Frost, Alex Neal-Bullen

Out OMac and Hunt

In Pedersen and Oliver

10 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Kennedy needs more that one good game at Casey to get recalled, last time he did that he came back into the Melbourne team and did nothing.

I fear he is one of those players who is in between VFL and AFL standard.

I did not see the Casey game but can some advise if Kennedy played midfield like last time he dominated at Casey or forward where he flails at AFL level. If the former I would like to see him brought in and rotated in the same role. 

1 minute ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I did not see the Casey game but can some advise if Kennedy played midfield like last time he dominated at Casey or forward where he flails at AFL level. If the former I would like to see him brought in and rotated in the same role. 

He needs to have flexibility thougb and get the job done up forward too. He's never going to be a first picked mid like Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw. The FD are seemingly demanding from all players that you develop multiple cards to your game, otherwise others will go past you.

4 hours ago, mauriesy said:

You are far too centred on the outcome (number of wins), rather than the process (how to build a finals winning team).

This year is actually all about next year. I don't particularly care how many wins we have for the rest of 2016, I care that the process of developing the team to be AFL finals ready is followed.

If you want to build a backline from our young talent, they need experience, not wallowing in the seconds until they're 'ready'. We have got to get our talented young players to 50-60 AFL games minimum, not just ask them to put on 15kg.

Yeh you're welcome to your opinion of course, But I beg to differ,

8 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

He needs to have flexibility thougb and get the job done up forward too. He's never going to be a first picked mid like Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw. The FD are seemingly demanding from all players that you develop multiple cards to your game, otherwise others will go past you.

I understand that. But if thats the case then they should play him in the same role at Casey. He can add speed and carry on the wings which aside from Stretch and M Jones we lack. He played there in spurts early on when his form was stronger and I would like to see us trial it again when he comes back in. 

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Gee OD, the only player on the list I can look in the eye and you want to get rid of him, can see where you are coming from, but the good thing is, we all have differing opinions, Footy Dept will be the ultimate decision makers though

And I would sincerely hope they know more than me or we are in more trouble than I thought.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

No Pedo.

The only two players that deserve a call up are Grimes and Ben K.

Mebbe Garland, but he still has brain fades.

Two on the outer so that leaves only Kennedy jr.

kennedy is not for me the reason too short. Not many options.