• Podcast:      

olisik

Time for N Jones to step aside

5 minutes ago, bluey said:

Plenty of heart but little ability, poor skills and offers zero leadership when the chips are down.

You kidding me what is this tigerscumland.  Bluey seriously take a good look fellow brethren . Yes NJ was spent today and I think he may need a spell but don't question his overall fella.  Look how we ended James McDonald tenure with us.  RIPped us a new one

I can't even comprehend how much of a bad post this is.... The man is heart and soul of the club and an amazing leader... sure he had a bad game in a awful loss but this is a gross over reaction... 

26 minutes ago, olisik said:

Shocking game and no impact when it was on the line. Has happened on several occasions and we need real leaders who can turn a game. Time for Jones to hand over the reigns of captaincy. 

So we want to repeat the Grimes/Trengove debacle by dropping the captaincy on a young player?  Jones is our Richie Vandenberg.  He's not the best player in the world, he's being surpassed by the young midfield we're building, but his leadership is still needed.  Let the kids keep developing together without the added pressure. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, olisik said:

Shocking game and no impact when it was on the line. Has happened on several occasions and we need real leaders who can turn a game. Time for Jones to hand over the reigns of captaincy. 

It's because of drivellers like you that you that this forum is close to unreadeable. I guess you voted for pauline hanson and think climate change doesn't exist as well. Go back to your hole and next time you poke your head out can someone whack it off with a club 

So you started a thread on top of the 7 times you posted this in the game day thread?

Jesus.

• Like 3

Need performers to be leading our team. If we want to make finals we need to make the tough decisions. We do not have a premiership captain right now.

14 minutes ago, Roost It said:

It's because of drivellers like you that you that this forum is close to unreadeable. I guess you voted for pauline hanson and think climate change doesn't exist as well. Go back to your hole and next time you poke your head out can someone whack it off with a club 

So now you equate Pauline Hanson to N Jones captaincy just goes to show what a fool you are take off the binkers and look at the game in whole no doubt about his en devour but the role is out of his realm.

• Like 1

It's important to differentiate the tough decisions from the downright stupid and negligent decisions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

It's important to differentiate the tough decisions from the downright stupid and negligent decisions.

A captain that goes missing when the game is on the line will not get us to playing finals. 

Look at what K Jack does, or the TEX, or Hodge does when the game is on the line. Jones does not stack up

Edited by olisik

This season;

28 disposals (1st), 10 contested (2nd), 5 clearances (2nd), 5 tackles (3rd), 4.8 inside 50s (1st).

Yeah, we should definitely drop him, maybe for a true leader like Brent Moloney, who a lot of people in this thread are reminding me of, coincidentally.

Jones is a B grade leader, but I'm not sure we want to saddle another youngster with the captaincy. We've been down that path before. Let's keep it with Jones for another season or two and then Viney will be ready.

Viney is ready, we saw that today.

1 minute ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

Jones is a B grade leader, but I'm not sure we want to saddle another youngster with the captaincy. We've been down that path before. Let's keep it with Jones for another season or two and then Viney will be ready.

Give him a fair trial and shoot him at noon.

He just had a bad day. All the good players do. 

I reckon he should captain again next year also.

• Like 1

Jones is a player who leads through footy effort and action not natural leadership acts. He certainly looked like he was playing lame today but that does not stop you using voice, directing play or putting your body on the line when the time is there. He played silent today and at times went into self preservation which is the biggest disappointment. Viney is a natural leader who will demand success and players come with him but lets learn from previous errors and not pull the trigger too early on that transition. 

Absolutely shocking today. Saw him standing extremely far away from the ball in the 2nd or 3rd and picked up some cheap ones in the back pocket in the final term. Where has that desire gone? His fantastic streak of a few years for us means very little if he can't keep providing that effort as the players around him get better and we're good enough to win consistently

Edited by Je Roos Salem

Whilst I am opposed to censorship, this thread almost warrants permanent deletion from the site.

Jones is one of the best Captains in the competition. He is a fantastic Demon, a great leader, and he deserves/commands our respect.

And yep - he had a poor game today. Unfortunately he wasn't the only one.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Give him a fair trial and shoot him at noon.

He just had a bad day. All the good players do. 

I reckon he should captain again next year also.

He's been very ordinary for the past month. He's slipped back into selfish 'me' football. He gets cheap possessions behind the ball, his possessions are only damaging to his own team and his decision-making and kicking has been appalling for a captain.

Today was certainly his worst game though. I wish it was an aberration, but he's been pretty ordinary for some weeks now. After today's game, I'm convinced he's carrying something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Whilst I am opposed to censorship, this thread almost warrants permanent deletion from the site.

Jones is one of the best Captains in the competition. He is a fantastic Demon, a great leader, and he deserves/commands our respect.

How many sides would Jones be Captain of?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, olisik said:

He doesn't know how to win when we are down. Good servant and still borderline best 22. 

Drugs are bad olisik.

41 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

I've been saying all year that none of our "leaders" ever stand up and impose them selves on a game when it gets behind.

Jones is one who has been out best option as captain and still is for now. But it is an area that we sorely lack in.

That and a game plan that when fails we don't have a back up.

Neitz was the last captain whom would impose himself upon a contest and try and turn it.

Once a month at best.

Jones has done it a fair bit. It's hard to lift the team when you're already carrying it in the last few years. Plus Jones has kicked a number of important captains goals. 

He's not a superstar of the comp. Viney is probably a better player.

But I don't see the need to load Viney up with the responsibility of captaincy just yet. There's no reason he can't lead as much as he wants as the vice captain or leadership group member. Gawn as well.  Plus anyone else who'd like to try it.

11 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I think that runs too far the other way.

I actually don't think Jones is that strong a leader. He certainly frequently goes missing when we need him most. The thread might bug people, but it's a legitimate discussion to have.

Having said that, we're definitely not ready to have Viney take over yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Jack Viney will be captain from, I would say, 2019 on wards (2018 at earliest).

To give him the captaincy based on today would be idiotic.

any later it will be geriatric wards...

It might be a stupid thread, but our lack of leadership today was bleeding obvious. why can't Jonesy and our senior players get over games at Etihad?  There is something missing!!!!!!  Whatever the leadership is preaching, it ain't working!!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Once a month at best.

Jones has done it a fair bit. It's hard to lift the team when you're already carrying it in the last few years. Plus Jones has kicked a number of important captains goals. 

He's not a superstar of the comp. Viney is probably a better player.

But I don't see the need to load Viney up with the responsibility of captaincy just yet. There's no reason he can't lead as much as he wants as the vice captain or leadership group member. Gawn as well.  Plus anyone else who'd like to try it.

Which is why I said he is stil our best option for now.