• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sam Weideman and Liam Hulett

dazzledavey36

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Agree. Watts is an opportunist tall forward, with an excellent kick and footy smarts. He is not an overly strong hulking key forward. Weideman attacks the ball strongly and given the bodies of his grand dad and dad could develop into that strong hulking forward, who is also a good kick. 

Hulett by the way missed a lot of footy in the last few years, but is already a beast 

If Liam and Sam develop well we will have a great forward line with Jesse, Watts, Petracca and the smalls.

Also, a couple of Kings as someone said, could be thereabouts as well.

When we can have Wattsy as a loose cannon 3rd tall with the likes of  Weed/Hulett/Hogan taking the brunt.......oh ...my....goodness will it get interesting:)

Thats going to stretch a lot of teams defence to breaking

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

.............and 2nd ruck to support Gawn.  And not a makeshift big man or pinch hitter, but a genuine big man with skills. I like Spencer's competitiveness but he is a very clumsy and has limited skills not to put a finer point on it. It seems the two King boys are a way off. Bottom line is, if Gawn goes down we are in deep tapioca. 

I rate Spencer. I reckon he's a decent back up, but as always, Ernest, each to their own. :)

• Like 5

Both Weideman & Hulett will probably get game time this season ... maybe sooner rather than later.  Dawes stays for now but he'll need to impress ... and there's always injuries to consider.  Pedersen's immediate future isn't assured now with Watts being able to pinch hit in the ruck.

Much will depend on our next 3 games ... 1 win or less would almost certainly rule us out of finals you'd reckon (we'd be 5 & 9 or 6 & 8) ... if that happened it would allow the MC to blood either or both players without undue risk to the team's overall future.  It's what all teams often do as a matter of course (tanking aside)

For what it's worth I reckon we're a chance in all 3 games (vs Coll, @ Syd & vs Adel) but that's with my hopeful supporter hat on.  Win 2 or all 3 and we will continue to pursue a finals spot.

Despite the above, I reckon we've been picking a side (all year) with a view to next season anyway.

At the start of the season not many (or any) of us could envisage a team consistently containing or often containing Hunt, Harmes, Wagner, Oscar, Petracca, Frost, Bugg, Kennedy, Oliver & Stretch (and Trengove)  ... maybe half of those players but all?  Another relative new player in Brayshaw would be playing if fit too.  White is another with claims.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

I rate Spencer. I reckon he's a decent back up, but as always, Ernest, each to their own. :)

31 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

Hope your right , that's why I would like to see Spencer in the side to see how far he has progressed and whether he is the answer (as a backup)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Macca said:

Both Weideman & Hulett will probably get game time this season ... maybe sooner rather than later.  Dawes stays for now but he'll need to impress ... and there's always injuries to consider.  Pedersen's immediate future isn't assured now with Watts being able to pinch hit in the ruck.

Much will depend on our next 3 games ... 1 win or less would almost certainly rule us out of finals you'd reckon (we'd be 5 & 9 or 6 & 8) ... if that happened it would allow the MC to blood either or both players without undue risk to the team's overall future.  It's what all teams often do as a matter of course (tanking aside)

For what it's worth I reckon we're a chance in all 3 games (vs Coll, @ Syd & vs Adel) but that's with my hopeful supporter hat on.  Win 2 or all 3 and we will continue to pursue a finals spot.

Despite the above, I reckon we've been picking a side (all year) with a view to next season anyway.

At the start of the season not many (or any) of us could envisage a team consistently containing or often containing Hunt, Harmes, Wagner, Oscar, Petracca, Frost, Bugg, Kennedy, Oliver & Stretch (and Trengove)  ... maybe half of those players but all?  Another relative new player in Brayshaw would be playing if fit too.  White is another with claims.

Macca much as i love your enthusiasm we will struggle to win more than 2 more games say Pies and suns

Given we lost  to Essendon and Saints we had to win the Port game to stay in the finals race 

we didnt so no finals for us this year so we should use the remainder to develop players in my opinion

8 hours ago, jackaub said:

Macca much as i love your enthusiasm we will struggle to win more than 2 more games say Pies and suns

Given we lost  to Essendon and Saints we had to win the Port game to stay in the finals race 

we didnt so no finals for us this year so we should use the remainder to develop players in my opinion

It's more so that I don't like conceding defeat rather than having an over-the-top optimistic view. Also, I did mention that we could have a record of 5 & 9 or 6 & 8 after the next 3 games. 

What is holding the team back from winning more games is our inexperience (and that's understandable) - previously it was our experienced players continually letting the team down - many or most of those experienced players are either gone or can't get a game.

Roos has put the senior players on notice in terms of selection - but he's done it quietly and without fanfare.  There are some experienced players that have lifted  (Watts) but you only have to look at the make-up of the side for confirmation of which track we've gone down. 

Edited by Macca

8 minutes ago, jackaub said:

I am I the only one who feels an actual, physical stabbing pain in my brain when reading such irrational pessimism?  Maybe I've just been around this site for far too long, but after years and years of reading it, it does my head in.

As if we're only going to win 2 more games for the year. 

• Like 8

On 6/6/2016 at 5:37 PM, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Can Hulett play back line? 

Just suggesting. 

In his under age years when he was fit and playing he did rotate between CHF and CHB a little at times. i personally see him as a better forward though.

• Like 1

I haven't been to any casey games so I can only go on what tv I've seen and what i read.  Neither look ready for selection and I am not sure they would on form I've seen. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they would need to play some good games in a row to earn a game. 

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

I am I the only one who feels an actual, physical stabbing pain in my brain when reading such irrational pessimism?  Maybe I've just been around this site for far too long, but after years and years of reading it, it does my head in.

Nash

which other games are we going to win for sure ----- rationally now?

4 minutes ago, jackaub said:

Nash

For sure: none of them.  Possibly: any of them.

We're not in 2013 any more man.  

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

I haven't been to any casey games so I can only go on what tv I've seen and what i read.  Neither look ready for selection and I am not sure they would on form I've seen. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they would need to play some good games in a row to earn a game. 

From the games that I've been to/seen of Casey this year, both are still a fair way off. Weideman WILL be a very good forward, but his goal tally this year is somewhat misleading, most of his goals have been scored in the 4th quarter this year when we've been steamrolling teams, our final quarters this year have been stunning, I don't know if it's superior fitness, simply having more AFL-players as depth shining through, or a combination of both, but that's been the difference for us this year.

Here's our 4th quarter scores vs all opposition this year: 42.26 vs 13.12

I expect at least one of them will get a game by the end of the year in the last couple of weeks a la Oscar McDonald last year though, to give them a taste of it.

Considering as has been mentioned both of them haven't played much under 18 football, their durability this year has been pleasing, with both having a rest week as well.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jackaub said:

Nash

Being pessimistic  i have us winning 3-6 more games. leaving us between 8-11 wins.

round 12 v colligwood. WIN
round 13 v Sydney(away) loss
round 14 v  BYE
round 15 v Adelaide 50/50 hope for a win
round 16 v Freo WIN
round 17 v Saints - should win this time.
round 18 v Eagles Loss
round 19 v Suns WIN
round 20 v Hawks loss
round 21 v Power (away) loss
round 22 v carlton 50/50 hope for a win
round 23 v geelong (away) loss

• Like 4

1 hour ago, red and blue forever said:

Being pessimistic  i have us winning 3-6 more games. leaving us between 8-11 wins.

round 14 v  BYE
round 16 v Freo WIN
round 18 v Eagles Loss
round 19 v Suns WIN
round 20 v Hawks loss

I consider this a very realistic view. 

• Like 6

On 6/7/2016 at 10:45 AM, red and blue forever said:

round 14 v  BYE
round 16 v Freo WIN
round 18 v Eagles Loss
round 19 v Suns WIN
round 20 v Hawks loss

I would change Port to a 50/50 game as well but otherwise i think you've nailed it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, red and blue forever said:

round 14 v  BYE
round 16 v Freo WIN
round 18 v Eagles Loss
round 19 v Suns WIN
round 20 v Hawks loss

similar thinking.   A caveat...if we do beat Carlton and have our tails up...we might...repeat  MIGHT repeat last years upset over the [censored]. It's not impossible to win there, just always improabable

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

similar thinking.   A caveat...if we do beat Carlton and have our tails up...we might...repeat  MIGHT repeat last years upset over the [censored]. It's not impossible to win there, just always improabable

I reckon we'll beat the Hawks, loose to Carlton and beat Geelong. 

• Like 1

I dont reckon either of Hulett or Weideman will play this year, with Hogan cemented and Dawes back. But I expect huge development during the next pre season and love the potential whuch both of them demonstrate.

I also want to add another name into this list of emerging key position playing potential. Sean Smith's son Joel was taken as a left-field rookie but Plapp had already given a great rap on his quick development over 2016. I'm not sure where he sits in the Casey mix at present. I did live 15 minutes away from Casey Fields for the past 7 years but moved away, and witnessed a lot of poor games from Melbourne mlisted players. Would love to be watching the Casey games now. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Nasher said:

Agreed,  the pessimism is ridiculous.  We took it up to the Hawks on the weekend and people say we will struggle to win more games.

We will win 5-6 for sure.   And I am calling it now, we will beat Adelaide at the G'. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nasher said:

For sure: none of them.  Possibly: any of them.

We're not in 2013 any more man.  

You said " As if we're only going to win 2 more games for the year. "

Specifically, which games do you think we will win?

And when do we expect the "we are a young team struggling to get through the year" fadeout?

On 6/7/2016 at 3:47 PM, faultydet said:

And when do we expect the "we are a young team struggling to get through the year" fadeout?

I think we'll beat the Pies, Suns, Saints, Power, Dockers and Blues, being the optimistic fan i am. giving us 11 wins for the year and i'd say that's a bloody good result for the club.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, faultydet said:

1) I think we could win any of them.

2) I don't expect a prolonged fadeout. I expect continued yo-yoing inconsistency as we have already seen so far this year.

• Like 4

we are a young developing side, injuries will play a big part in how we go and how our opposition goes. I think we have a side that on its day can mix it with anyone, the problem is that we are unable to maintain consistency and self belief, though on the odd occassion when we go into a game as favourites we dont seem to think we have to work at winning.

• Like 1