Sam Weideman and Liam Hulett

dazzledavey36

1 hour ago, Dappa Dan said:

I'm not expecting much from Hulett, just through painful recent history (Davis, Cook)... But Weed I'd LOVE to see come in for the last round or two, and kick 4 playing as a foil to Jesse. If that happens, along with our kids, just watch what the media does with us. They'll say Ruck, midfield, tall and short forwards all sorted out. Good CHB and small defenders sorted too. Not much left to get there....

Except experience and a bit more outside pace and silk.

• Like 1

Just now, AdamFarr said:

Yeah. The experience I'm not as worried about. It comes when we get games into these main kids. I see about 10 names to get seriously excited about, but almost all are under 50 games. Some aren't even in double figures. Do we go get experience? I dunno. We have it in Jones and Vince. Mostly I freaking love our list and our 22. I knew I liked it going into this season, but the outrageous success of Olly and Gawn, along with Viney... it's vaulted us into a stratosphere I didn't see coming.

But yes. Some more skill. And outside pace a la Kent.

it will be interesting to see how these two develop. We made the call to trade our first round in the next draft so we had two early picks and I think they got the two they wanted. Oliver has shown a lot and I can us giving the Weed a few years to fully develop. I can see him maybe getting a game late in the season depending on injuries and table position and then playing a lot more next season in the seniors maybe playing as one of three talls in the forwards. This might release Watts to rotate a bit more on to the wing. in reality the way we are playing he is doing that already but if the weed comes on then it will give him a bit more flexibility. Similar with Hulett. Let him develop as required and give him a run if/as needed. they are both young boys and the coaches need to build the engines in both of them and in the Weed's case they need to build muscle on him as well.

If all goes well can you imagine in a couple of years have a forward selection problem with Hogan, Watts, Weed, Hulett and a King or two to consider?

5 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

I'm not expecting much from Hulett, just through painful recent history (Davis, Cook)... But Weed I'd LOVE to see come in for the last round or two

That would mean we are out of finals contention

I hope the Weed doesn't debut this season

• Like 3

Not having see him play, would Huelett be an option as a tall defender?  His photos have him looking like a huge strong monster.  

Justin Plapp at breakfast this morning made mention that he hasn't seen a player (Weideman) come in and do what he's done in his first year of footy in his time in the game.

Pretty big wrap! Also said he thinks Oscar will be a beast once he's put on some size.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Not having see him play, would Huelett be an option as a tall defender?  His photos have him looking like a huge strong monster.  

Pretty sure he has spent some time in defence in his junior years.

5 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Justin Plapp at breakfast this morning made mention that he hasn't seen a player (Weideman) come in and do what he's done in his first year of footy in his time in the game.

Not since Hogan did it anyway

Go Dees

• Like 1

Just now, Petraccattack said:

Go Dees

Don't disagree. That's why i found it such high praise. Welsh was coach that year though, so Plapp may have been referencing that he was directly involved in?

13 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Go Dees

I think if you compare stats to both first years in the VFL you'll probably find that they are quite similar.

I see this as a development year for Weed in the VFL. Hogan and Roos have both been on the record in saying that first year in the VFL was a huge benefit to Hogan development.

No eush for Weideman.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think if you compare stats to both first years in the VFL you'll probably find that they are quite similar.

I see this as a development year for Weed in the VFL. Hogan and Roos have both been on the record in saying that first year in the VFL was a huge benefit to Hogan development.

No eush for Weideman.

Also Weideman had played little footy in two years, so I think there first aim was to get him to play a full year. Hogan had more of the ball and won the B and F so lets keep it in perspective.

4 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

That would mean we are out of finals contention

I hope the Weed doesn't debut this season

Not necessarily. We've seen development talls play, like Omac. I'm thinking if Jack's form doesn't pick up he might be shifted up the ground. Pedo also is very crash and bash, and is probably to miss a game here or there through injury. Or suspension, he very nearly missed one this week. But yes. I'm hoping we're alive right til round 22 for finals. But failing that... a 2016 weed debut is looking like a necessity for next year's plans.

Edited by Dappa Dan

8 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yeah. The experience I'm not as worried about. It comes when we get games into these main kids. I see about 10 names to get seriously excited about, but almost all are under 50 games. Some aren't even in double figures. Do we go get experience? I dunno. We have it in Jones and Vince. Mostly I freaking love our list and our 22. I knew I liked it going into this season, but the outrageous success of Olly and Gawn, along with Viney... it's vaulted us into a stratosphere I didn't see coming.

But yes. Some more skill. And outside pace a la Kent.

Sorry, DD, I should have been clearer. What I meant by experience was getting games into our younger brigade.

There comes a point with development that players need to play in the big league. Even key forwards need to play top grade football to fast track their development, I can't think of one that learned their craft in the seconds (Hogan before anyone brings him up was still a junior and not eligible for senior selection). 

I hope both these guys get a good shot at it this year.

If you keep developing in the VFL you end up with Ayce Cordy or Liam McBeen.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, rjay said:

There comes a point with development that players need to play in the big league. Even key forwards need to play top grade football to fast track their development, I can't think of one that learned their craft in the seconds (Hogan before anyone brings him up was still a junior and not eligible for senior selection). 

Darcy Moore is a prime example of the point your making.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, rjay said:

what he said ^^^

Its my understanding that the Weed, because of injuries, was way behind AFL standard in his fitness levels when he arrived. In this era you dont build them up overnight. I dont think that weakness get shown up as much in the seconds. He clearly CAN play but I think he would be run off at the top level at the moment and may be a liability. Or may even be setting himself up for fatigue based injuries. Theres no rush with him.

In any case, Im sure the footy dept will get him in when they feels his ready.

• Like 1

At the moment, I'd say that Hogan and Watts have kept them out of the team. Due to structure, we need Pedo or Frost as the 3rd tall so they can ruck. If Watts wasn't performing as a forward that I think we would have seen one or the other this week against Brisbane. I think we are seeing a sign of our depth with them in the 2's rather than keep them there for a year for their development. We are lucky because we can keep them there at the moment. 

For the sake of comparison, these are the clubs that Weed (or Hulett for that matter) would have lined up for this week because of a weak tall forward line: 

Essendon, Hawthorn, Freo, Suns, Collingwood, Brisbane, Carlton, Port, Dogs, Tigers,

Those who they would be in the 2's because they have good key talls who would keep them out

North, Crows, Cats, Giants, Swans, Saints, West Coast, 

I know which group I'd prefer to be in....

Let them develop out until they knock down the door or injuries allow them to come in. Moore played 8 odd games last year, that's a pretty good model to follow. 

Could almost say we're looking a bit forward heavy for the future. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18 May 2016 at 8:00 AM, monoccular said:

On 18 May 2016 at 9:02 AM, AngryAtCasey said:

Pretty sure he has spent some time in defence in his junior years.

Supplementary question, Angry

Has he shown any promise, indeed has he been tried as, a back up forward / ruckman.   Looks from training photos like he has a huge body for his age.

PS I think you have covered this question on the current thread Dawes Ruck

Edited by monoccular
update
  • Like 1

On 15 May 2016 at 11:11 AM, ProDee said:

Forget about the physical similarities, Weideman thinks and plays like a key forward and that's not Watts' go. 

Weideman attacks marking contests with belief and fearlessness and that has never been Watts' strong suit.

Agree. Watts is an opportunist tall forward, with an excellent kick and footy smarts. He is not an overly strong hulking key forward. Weideman attacks the ball strongly and given the bodies of his grand dad and dad could develop into that strong hulking forward, who is also a good kick. 

Hulett by the way missed a lot of footy in the last few years, but is already a beast 

If Liam and Sam develop well we will have a great forward line with Jesse, Watts, Petracca and the smalls.

Also, a couple of Kings as someone said, could be thereabouts as well.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 4

Weiderman reminds me so much of Tom Lynch from the Suns in how he attacks the ball, i really think he, Hogan, Watts, Petracca, Garlett and co will become a nightmare for opposition teams

• Like 1

On 5/18/2016 at 0:52 AM, AdamFarr said:

.............and 2nd ruck to support Gawn.  And not a makeshift big man or pinch hitter, but a genuine big man with skills. I like Spencer's competitiveness but he is a very clumsy and has limited skills not to put a finer point on it. It seems the two King boys are a way off. Bottom line is, if Gawn goes down we are in deep tapioca.