Around the League Round 8

Maple Demon

34 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

As bad as Collingwood have been all year, they're only one win behind us. :huh:

And as theoretically good as Adelaide have been we've won the same amount of games. The loss to Essendon will haunt us.

As for the game tonight, I want the coaches to show the players the last minute from the Swans point of view. They hold an absolutely golden chance to ice the time off the clock, Franklin was all on his own 20m away, instead he chose to bomb it in long. 

Ironically those are the games that teams like Hawks and Swans have always managed to find a way to win. What a finish though!

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

north coasted once they had the game won.

they're better than a lot of people are giving them credit for - you don't finish top 4 two years in a row and not be at least a 'good' side.

This.

I was at the game and it was a training run for North in the first half.

Essendon took the game on more in the second half, but seriously, North were never going to lose the game at any stage. They just cruised after half time.

They have quality and experience on every line, and I'd be surprised if they're not top 4 for the 3rd year in a row. Only 1 MCG game this year is not an issue, Harvey, Pretrie, Waite, Swallow, Goldstein, Dal Santo etc have played more games on the MCG than I've had hot dinners.

Whoever it was that got the free kick on the wing with 40 seconds to go and didn't look backwards/sideways for a free player exhibited a kind of inexperienced mistake that you don't usually see from teams like Sydney.

Good to know we're not the only side that does that.

• Like 1

Just now, titan_uranus said:

Whoever it was that got the free kick on the wing with 40 seconds to go and didn't look backwards/sideways for a free player exhibited a kind of inexperienced mistake that you don't usually see from teams like Sydney.

Good to know we're not the only side that does that.

Dean Towers is the man you're looking for. Wouldn't want to front up to Longmire after that total brainfade; it literally cost them the game.

7 hours ago, Rafiki said:

Wood got slightly tunneled in a marking contest and hit his head very hard into the ground

Have a good look at it, there was zero tunnelling.

Just hope the young fella is ok, there was real concern for him at the ground. Looked to be out cold, wasn't pleasant.

1 minute ago, Ash35 said:

Have a good look at it, there was zero tunnelling.

Just hope the young fella is ok, there was real concern for him at the ground. Looked to be out cold, wasn't pleasant.

I was watching the game and Tim Watson made a really stupid comment saying he was convulsing. Without having a medical background it is really irresponsible to say something like that without know what the implications of it could be. Not to mention it wasn't even true.

Hope Wood's ok and he just has a sore head for the next couple of days.

Just now, SaberFang said:

Beams, Harwood and McStay all injured in today's 90 point defeat to Collingwood.

It will be a travesty if Brisbane beat us next week, regardless of whether or not we're aiming for 3 in a row.

The one saving grace is that we play the Lions at the G.  I'd be a nervous wreck if it was being played at Etihad.

13 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

North Melbourne are the least convincing top 4 team I've seen in my life. I just don't understand how they are 8-0. 

Frankly MFC, St Kilda and Essendon should all have run over them.

It's the nature of the AFL these days that it's almost impossible for teams to go on really long win streaks.

Even the top teams drop games they shouldn't. Look at Sydney tonight, Hawthorn also nearly lost to the Saints, GWS lost to Melbourne in Round 1 after having 8 more scoring shots. So the fact the Roos have escaped that sort of result and got through to 8-0 shows they are a pretty decent side.

The tests will come though, they still have to play Hawthorn, Geelong, GWS, Sydney at the SCG and WCE at Subiaco.   

• Like 2

1. I can't believe Brisbane were so bad, no idea why I tipped them.
  2. Sydney couldn't kill the game with 30 seconds to go? Incredibly un-Sydney like. 
  3. What a finish though, great for footy. I love our game sometimes. 
  • Like 1

The race for first coach sacked in 2016 is hotting up, Buckley is slightly safer and Dimmer has the torch off him for the moment but Eade and Leppa will be feeling the heat

GCS have lost by 270 points or something in the last 3 weeks total, that's crazy to think they started the season off well, and now they're non competitive against even average teams.

7 hours ago, Seraph said:
  1. I can't believe Brisbane were so bad, no idea why I tipped them.
  2. Sydney couldn't kill the game with 30 seconds to go? Incredibly un-Sydney like. 
  3. What a finish though, great for footy. I love our game sometimes. 

Because like most of us we cant believe that we tipped Collingwood last week either...who were so bad . Surprised the Lions were so poor at home. Thank fully I'm not the only one who got that wrong 

8 hours ago, Peter Griffen said:

The race for first coach sacked in 2016 is hotting up, Buckley is slightly safer and Dimmer has the torch off him for the moment but Eade and Leppa will be feeling the heat

GCS have lost by 270 points or something in the last 3 weeks total, that's crazy to think they started the season off well, and now they're non competitive against even average teams.

Have a look at their injury list.....It may show why.

Gold Coast was always going to fail. No sporting club ever lasts up there. 

What a ludicrous decision to start a new team up there. 

It should have been Nought Melbourne, that was the league's only chance. 

Brisvegas Lions...does anyone care??

i mean look at that Lion Logo...!

11 hours ago, Tim said:

The Tiges at least making some progress with their fear of the dark, after 4 nocturnal losses in a row. 

They've actually played 7 of their 8 games at night so far this year (the 8th was under the roof at Etihad, too).

They've got their next three at night too, making it 10 of their first 11 games at night, and I think of those 11, 9 of them have been or will be on FTA TV.

Ridiculous fixturing.

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Gold Coast was always going to fail. No sporting club ever lasts up there. 

What a ludicrous decision to start a new team up there. 

It should have been Nought Melbourne, that was the league's only chance. 

Brisvegas Lions...does anyone care??

i mean look at that Lion Logo...!

You know they changed it back to the Fitzroy logo, don't you?

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

They've actually played 7 of their 8 games at night so far this year (the 8th was under the roof at Etihad, too).

They've got their next three at night too, making it 10 of their first 11 games at night, and I think of those 11, 9 of them have been or will be on FTA TV.

Ridiculous fixturing.

You know they changed it back to the Fitzroy logo, don't you?

Only on the away jumper i think...

On 5/13/2016 at 8:21 PM, monoccular said:

OMG the deliberate OOB rule is just one more opportunity for the prancing ponies aka maggots to assert themselves on the game.  Absolutely stuffing up the game, as it is being interpreted. 

This is such a spectacularly poor call I just don't even know where to start. Ask anyone, ANYONE whether the footy we've seen played so far this season has been more entertaining than previous seasons and you'll hear a unanimous 'yes'. Free-er flowing, higher scoring, more exciting. Why? Because the 2010 Malthouse Magpies strategy of "never kick it further than 10m from the boundary line" is no longer effective, because the new deliberate OOB interpretation is so much better. Yes, people will occasionally feel aggrieved; but the attacking, corridor footy we're seeing as a result is well worth the price of admission.