• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Jesse Hogan Panic Room - all contract talk here

Grapeviney

29 minutes ago, Abe said:

I have always said i think Jesse will stay so it's a non issue, but...

the club in a hyperthetical world can't do much, Jesse has a contract and the only way he gets traded is if he wants to, you can't play a guy like Jesse at Casey for not making a decision fast enough when they still have a year to run on their contract, it would make every player avoid us, and those already on our list very nervous. 

And If he obviously doesnt try, conserves his body and sooks the whole year thats ok is it?

On 9/1/2016 at 10:43 AM, jackaub said:

And If he obviously doesnt try, conserves his body and sooks the whole year thats ok is it?

are you reading my comments? i just said in another post, dropping someone for form is different to trying to pressure a decision, i don't dispute that if he is underperforming he'll spend time at casey, but if he's not he plays seniors it's pretty simple.

2 hours ago, Robbie57 said:

I just come here to see if there is any news, I should know better by now. I'd like him to stay. Trades other than A graders generally are hope over reality as is the talk of the value of a high draft pick (always a lottery). Hogan is a known quantity who will get better. As for "stuck in the goal square" I didnt see that, in fact he takes very good marks at high half forward and wing and spends a lot of time roaming. His kicking will improve. I think he is really hard on himself which is a problem and he gets all the attention from the backs often double teamed.

As for the responses here to his decision process most of the responses sound a bit like a discussion between bachelorettes my niece forced me to watch on the bachelor. Speaking of which some way back someone mentioned he had split with his girlfriend that sort of thiing could be a major factor in his poor form if my distant memory of  that sort of thing is right. He may have a sick family member at home. Just so many things that cold be going on.

I noticed unlike other clubs we have made no list announcements which suggests to me we are talking to him and others and need to align everything first. I just hope Mahony isn't seen holding a red rose.

What I mean by stuck in the goal square is that he plays full forward stuck in the goal square. to stop him freezing up he is moved around the ground where he can use his good one on one skills to set up plays. he needs to watch some Peter McKenna on youtube.

15 minutes ago, Hogan2014 said:

The criticism by supporters & commentators is ridiculous.. Roos on open Mike said it well he's 21 playing he's 2nd year in the hardest position! All current full forwards took time to develop inc kicking accuracy eg Kennedy from WC, Hawkins etc etc .. 

Let's hope his contract expectations reflect that then hey?

Edited by stuie

On 9/1/2016 at 11:25 AM, stuie said:

Let's hope his contract expectations reflect that then hey?

That's a really interesting dynamic in the whole situation, Tom Boyd as an example is a developing player, that's how he's being treated at the dogs, but he's on a million dollars a year so the pressure of the contract is huge, not sure you can really take the pressure and expectation off and then pay someone big bucks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Abe said:

That's a really interesting dynamic in the whole situation, Tom Boyd as an example is a developing player, that's how he's being treated at the dogs, but he's on a million dollars a year so the pressure of the contract is huge, not sure you can really take the pressure and expectation off and then pay someone big bucks.

Exactly. You can't be demanding the pay and contract length of a gun player in their peak but also expect a few years to develop into that.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, stuie said:

Exactly. You can't be demanding the pay and contract length of a gun player in their peak but also expect a few years to develop into that.

You can demand whatever you want and the market will dictate whether you're worth it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You can demand whatever you want and the market will dictate whether you're worth it.

Yeah I get that, but I'm talking about the expectations that then come with that. If you demand the contract of a gun then you need to be ready for the expectations of a gun.

This is what the OX has to say about Hogan in the Geelong Advertiser just now. Mirrors the thoughts of many supporters.

"The last few games of the year saw Melbourne’s key forward Jesse Hogan really struggle to keep his focus on the match.

His body language turned negative. He lost his ability to pick himself up from a poor kick. He seemed to give up on the contest.

The Western Bulldogs had a similar thing happen with star forward Jake Stringer, and they dropped him to the reserves for not giving enough effort.

If Melbourne was playing this week, I doubt Hogan would get a game. It is really important for Jesse to use the off-season to think about his on field behaviour. Inside the club there are people working with Jesse to ensure he can turn this around.

Hogan isn’t the only player on the ground who can kick goals for the club, but he is the one the crowd is constantly watching, so when his shoulders slump and he shakes his head, we all see it.

I hope he watches some videos of Tom Hawkins to see how the big Cat manages to keep presenting and keep persisting when he’s a bit down on form. Hawkins had a couple of shocking games this year, but he never let his insecurities show. And nor should he. Leave that stuff for the locker rooms."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

This is what the OX has to say about Hogan in the Geelong Advertiser just now. Mirrors the thoughts of many supporters.

"The last few games of the year saw Melbourne’s key forward Jesse Hogan really struggle to keep his focus on the match.

His body language turned negative. He lost his ability to pick himself up from a poor kick. He seemed to give up on the contest.

The Western Bulldogs had a similar thing happen with star forward Jake Stringer, and they dropped him to the reserves for not giving enough effort.

If Melbourne was playing this week, I doubt Hogan would get a game. It is really important for Jesse to use the off-season to think about his on field behaviour. Inside the club there are people working with Jesse to ensure he can turn this around.

Hogan isn’t the only player on the ground who can kick goals for the club, but he is the one the crowd is constantly watching, so when his shoulders slump and he shakes his head, we all see it.

I hope he watches some videos of Tom Hawkins to see how the big Cat manages to keep presenting and keep persisting when he’s a bit down on form. Hawkins had a couple of shocking games this year, but he never let his insecurities show. And nor should he. Leave that stuff for the locker rooms."

Well, applying the infallible body language test that has been used by Demonland experts, that must mean that Stringer is off to another club as well?

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Well, applying the infallible body language test that has been used by Demonland experts, that must mean that Stringer is off to another club as well?

Difference is he signed a new deal last year taking him through till the end of 2018.

On 9/1/2016 at 4:15 PM, schmuttt said:

Difference is he signed a new deal last year taking him through till the end of 2018.

So round 1 next year the speculation starts? or is it only two years out for Hogan?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, schmuttt said:

Well, Hogan has a contract until the end of next year, yet it's panic stations because he hasn't extended, over a year out.

5 hours ago, hardtack said:

It all depends whether Hogan takes responsibility for his form slump or blames the club and his team mates 

Edited by chook fowler

Just now, hardtack said:

Well, Hogan has a contract until the end of next year, yet it's panic stations because he hasn't extended, over a year out.

Thats probably partly to do with Roos and his view that he would prefer to move a person on with a year to go in a contract as the player has more currency (to the club they are leaving) than when they are out of contract.

Just now, chook fowler said:

It LOL depends whether Hogan takes responsibility for his form slump or blames the club and his team mates 

Nah, apparently body language transcends all of that.

1 minute ago, Ouch! said:

Thats probably partly to do with Roos and his view that he would prefer to move a person on with a year to go in a contract as the player has more currency (to the club they are leaving) than when they are out of contract.

But I'm not talking about panic stations as far as the MFC is concerned... Roos knows as well as anyone that Hogan's currency will not be diminished in the least by his recent form slump.

• Like 2

Could we give Jesse a run at CHB? he's smart, got some speed and played a good amount of footy in defense. 

i rate his ball use and his contested marking has always been strong, maybe playing the Role Watts does a bit more and getting down back and helping would do him some good, getting his hands on the ball a bit more and feeling like he's impacting the game without kicking goals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Abe said:

Could we give Jesse a run at CHB? he's smart, got some speed and played a good amount of footy in defense. 

i rate his ball use and his contested marking has always been strong, maybe playing the Role Watts does a bit more and getting down back and helping would do him some good, getting his hands on the ball a bit more and feeling like he's impacting the game without kicking goals.

It certainly helped Neitz back in the day... wouldn't hurt to try it (although he does seem to take on a bit of a roving commission anyway).

Hogan is going to be a superstar of the league.

We have been searching, and praying to whatever deity we believe in, that we could finally find someone that every other club would be envy green over. "Why can't it be us", we think, while watching Dangerfield/Franklin//Fyfe tear teams apart.

We have one. Hogan is OURS.

It will be a fukcing tragedy if he leaves. I don't get why people are so indifferent towards him. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Hogan is going to be a superstar of the league.

We have been searching, and praying to whatever deity we believe in, that we could finally find someone that every other club would be envy green over. "Why can't it be us", we think, while watching Dangerfield/Franklin//Fyfe tear teams apart.

We have one. Hogan is OURS.

It will be a fukcing tragedy if he leaves. I don't get why people are so indifferent towards him. 

They are trying to convince themselves he wasn't really that good and they never wanted him anyway, just in case he leaves.
It's a sad self-defense mechanism and it achieves nothing.

• Like 5

Just now, Mach5 said:

They are trying to convince themselves he wasn't really that good and they never wanted him anyway, just in case he leaves.
It's a sad self-defense mechanism and it achieves nothing.

He is a kid, who has already played dominant games. Seriously dominant games, including mauling the premier defender in the league.

He is the kind of player who wins finals for you, once mature.

The guy is a star. For christ sake Jesse, stay with the Dees.

• Like 5

14 marks (5 contested) in round 22 seems to account to nothing.  Prior to this weekend Riewoldt's record was 18 marks.

But at least Schwarz is saying Hogan should take a leaf out of Hawkin's book.  It only took Hawkins 6 seasons to have a breakout year and 69 games to reach Hogan's tally of 85.

• Like 10