• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Jesse Hogan Panic Room - all contract talk here

Grapeviney

I think we should stop all the speculation and relax, trust the club to do all they can, don't listen to rumors and enjoy the remainder of this season an all of 2017. We have a great side just begining to become a great team. Will be even better next year with Hogan

Hogans manager will manage the club will manage and all will work out. There is no reason to panic. I for one am going to stop reading this part of the forum.

Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy

• Like 1

Jackaub I'm not actually stressed. Actually, I'm not even fussed. It's about a team not a player. We're moving on from this lurching from one saviour or another to a team that works as a team and has some capacity for replacement along the way.

As with OD. He signs or he's off and we trade.

I don't buy the CBA stalling ideas as it's really a furphy and can be accommodated already. He's stalling...and there's a reason.

Quite frankly no one is that good to warrant a song and dance. Bit over it personally.

Be good if he can buy into the Dees rise. Certainly hasn't yet.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Devil is in the Detail said:

Can confirm, from a reliable source, that Hogan will sign with an AFL club at some stage.

4 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

All you're missing is an ambiguous time frame for when it will happen. 

Easy.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2016 at 11:42 AM, Grand New Flag said:

I would not read too much into this.  Josh is simply keeping the club honest in the early stages of negotiation. Hogan has said he wishes to re-sign, but no deal has yet been struck as such maintaining a market is what any good manager would do.  This is standard.

Yup, Hogan signing will be significant, the club will want to milk it for as much as it's worth, these sort of signings can often happen a long time before anyone hears about them, they just wait for the right moment to announce it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

What sort of time frame? The more ambiguous the better.

Ethan, you really are on fire today. What's going on. Get a bit for breakfast or something. Or still affected by the afterglow of the weekend's success.

22 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Ethan, you really are on fire today. What's going on. Get a bit for breakfast or something. Or still affected by the afterglow of the weekend's success.

I recently had spinal fusion surgery, I'm stuck at home, bored and with plenty of medication. I think I'm going a little nuts and actually annoying myself.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3

Just now, Ethan Tremblay said:

I recently had spinal fusion surgery, I'm stuck at home, bored and with plenty of medication. I actually think I'm going a little nuts.

All jokes aside. Sorry to hear that. We are a household of back problems. Fingers crossed for you that the surgery works. I've got friends who've had it and have had great results. 

Also sorry to hear that the medication is making you so mellow on here. Such a waste. 

41 minutes ago, It's Time said:

All jokes aside. Sorry to hear that. We are a household of back problems. Fingers crossed for you that the surgery works. I've got friends who've had it and have had great results. 

Also sorry to hear that the medication is making you so mellow on here. Such a waste. 

The neurosurgeon said I had the back of a 100 year old, which wasn't nice to hear considering I'm only 92. I've been putting it off for years and decided now that I'm the ripe old age of 30 I should get it done. So far so good.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, SPC said:

I have a very strong feeling Jesse will re-sign on a 2-3 year contract similar to McDonald. To be honest his form has been a little underwhelming this year and his kicking style will scare a few clubs off him. None of the WA teams look like dominating over the next few years as West Coast also have an ageing list. He would be best to commit to the Dees for a few years, play some good finals footy and re-assess in 2019 or 2020.

Respectfully disagree. he ha been terrific this year i reckon and suggestions to the contrary probably stem from the incredibly high expectations all in the footy community have of him.

He is effectively in his second year of AFL football, is still very young, gets the opposition's best defender every time he plays, regularly gets doubled and even tripled teams and often our game plan has involved long kicks to packs allowing a defender to cut across and spoil. yet he he has still been super effective.

He is a star now, and within the next 2-3 years will become a superstar. Imagine him at 24-25 with 100 game under his belt. He will be unstoppable. It is critical for our chances of the ultimate success we sign him up and if he plays out his career with us i have no doubt he will be right up there with the very best players ever to play for the MFC.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, binman said:

Respectfully disagree. he ha been terrific this year i reckon and suggestions to the contrary probably stem from the incredibly high expectations all in the footy community have of him.

He is effectively in his second year of AFL football, is still very young, gets the opposition's best defender every time he plays, regularly gets doubled and even tripled teams and often our game plan has involved long kicks to packs allowing a defender to cut across and spoil. yet he he has still been super effective.

He is a star now, and within the next 2-3 years will become a superstar. Imagine him at 24-25 with 100 game under his belt. He will be unstoppable. It is critical for our chances of the ultimate success we sign him up and if he plays out his career with us i have no doubt he will be right up there with the very best players ever to play for the MFC.

Can't agree more, especially with that last sentence.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, binman said:

Binman, I agree with you that he is playing well as a 2nd/3rd year player and the expectation on him is too high... However, he is about to negotiate a massive contract, apparently one of the biggest the game has seen (if you listen to the clowns in the media). There is a lot of 'buyer beware' given the 'Tom Boyd Precedent', I just have a feeling that maybe Jesse's agent was expecting to hear these huge offers, and clubs haven't come to the party yet.

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I recently had spinal fusion surgery, I'm stuck at home, bored and with plenty of medication. I think I'm going a little nuts and actually annoying myself.

Add a little single malt NT I guarantee it will have a positive influence.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SPC said:

Binman, I agree with you that he is playing well as a 2nd/3rd year player and the expectation on him is too high... However, he is about to negotiate a massive contract, apparently one of the biggest the game has seen (if you listen to the clowns in the media). There is a lot of 'buyer beware' given the 'Tom Boyd Precedent', I just have a feeling that maybe Jesse's agent was expecting to hear these huge offers, and clubs haven't come to the party yet.

Fair enough. However i would say the 'Tom Boyd Precedent' involves paying massive overs for a player who has to yet to deliver anything at senior level and desperately hoping he will become a star in the near future.

The 'Hogan Precedent' involves a player who has kicked 50 odd goals as a 17 year old against men in the VFL and has kicked 40 plus goals in his two years playing AFL often rag dolling grown men like Zac Dawson and exhibiting the kind of presence and aura that Boyd can only dream about at this stage of his career. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, binman said:

Fair enough. However i would say the 'Tom Boyd Precedent' involves paying massive overs for a player who has to yet to deliver anything at senior level and desperately hoping he will become a star in the near future.

The 'Hogan Precedent' involves a player who has kicked 50 odd goals as a 17 year old against men in the VFL and has kicked 40 plus goals in his two years playing AFL often rag dolling grown men like Zac Dawson and exhibiting the kind of presence and aura that Boyd can only dream about at this stage of his career. 

You are right, they are two totally different players. Was just trying to highlight that some clubs are now looking at a larger sample size before handing over the blank cheque to the agents.

If anything, I hope that this has worked in our favor in getting a better deal for Hogan, that will allow us to retain the other young stars.

At the risk of upsetting people I believe that Hogan is over-hyped.  I think he will be an excellent footballer... probably in the top three to five KPFs in the comp, but I don't believe that he is the once in a generation player that some make him out to be.

He is a very important part of the premiership equation and needs to be kept, as are/do others.  He will be well numerated whatever he does, and I hope he stays with us.  If he doesn't I will be very disappointed, but still hopeful.

Pre-emptive strike.... it's ok to think that I'm wrong and I could well be, but don't tell me that I am writing him off, bagging him or have agendas or whatever.  It is an opinion.

• Like 3

Doesn't really sound like any progress has been made:

“We sat down with Jesse at the start of the year and said ‘these are the things that we’re going to do as a club’.

“I think we’ve committed to all of those things and we’ve shown that, so the next step for us is to continue to talk to him and at the right time, he’ll come to us and say he’s happy to do something.”

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-08-11/club-staying-course-with-hogan

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Doesn't really sound like any progress has been made:

“We sat down with Jesse at the start of the year and said ‘these are the things that we’re going to do as a club’.

“I think we’ve committed to all of those things and we’ve shown that, so the next step for us is to continue to talk to him and at the right time, he’ll come to us and say he’s happy to do something.”

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-08-11/club-staying-course-with-hogan

Hogan has said himself that he is looking to hopefully get the contract out of the way during the offseason. He's shown plenty of signs that he's staying, and wouldn't want contract meeting and phone calls to distract him during the season

14 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

At the risk of upsetting people I believe that Hogan is over-hyped.  I think he will be an excellent footballer... probably in the top three to five KPFs in the comp, but I don't believe that he is the once in a generation player that some make him out to be.

He is a very important part of the premiership equation and needs to be kept, as are/do others.  He will be well numerated whatever he does, and I hope he stays with us.  If he doesn't I will be very disappointed, but still hopeful.

Pre-emptive strike.... it's ok to think that I'm wrong and I could well be, but don't tell me that I am writing him off, bagging him or have agendas or whatever.  It is an opinion.

Disagree slightly, think he will be similar to Roughead as he develops, able to rotate through the midfield as well, so will be a player

He seems very happy at Melbourne, and know he likes the lifestyle here, but until it is announced it is all just speculation

• Like 1

If he did end up leaving because we couldn't pay him what he wanted and we got Fyfe and pick in return is anyone here gonna be that upset.

Yes he is very good, has a really strong contested mark and decent skills around the ground and often helps set up goals. My main issue is that he can't kick goals from or on 50, even outside of 40 he struggles to make the distance. He also has a poor attitude and doesn't show much passion.  

If we got the best midfielder in the comp plus a pick we could use to trade for someonelse or take it to the draft, I would be very pleased. I think the main downside is neither weideman or hulett look ready for a full afl season so it may slow the development of the forward line. 

Either way I'm not bothered and can't wait for next season. Go demons! 

Edited by Daily Dose of Demons
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Disagree slightly, think he will be similar to Roughead as he develops, able to rotate through the midfield as well, so will be a player

He seems very happy at Melbourne, and know he likes the lifestyle here, but until it is announced it is all just speculation

No one is seriously suggesting he wont be a player, but he's mortal, no god.  We've managed ok without him...just saying. So hardly indespensible. 

Id genuinely like him to stay, and think he will, but there's something not right in Denmark.... He doesnt present as if he's bought into the club, he strikes me as aloof, workmanike ( if that can at all ever be applied in reference to Jesse )

Ive played with guys who were much much better than me, could turn games far more often than I could ever dream of doing and yet it was as if they werent really there at times.

This is why I m always wondering where Hogans head space is. He strikes me as a little mercenary. Now nothing wrong with that per se, but I wonder

If he stays and commits I think wed see an even better version . more complete  and commanding on the field.

Again, time will tell. Hes a curious one

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

No one is seriously suggesting he wont be a player, but he's mortal, no god.  We've managed ok without him...just saying. So hardly indespensible. 

Id genuinely like him to stay, and think he will, but there's something not right in Denmark.... He doesnt present as if he's bought into the club, he strikes me as aloof, workmanike ( if that can at all ever be applied in reference to Jesse )

Ive played with guys who were much much better than me, could turn games far more often than I could ever dream of doing and yet it was as if they werent really there at times.

This is why I m always wondering where Hogans head space is. He strikes me as a little mercenary. Now nothing wrong with that per se, but I wonder

If he stays and commits I think wed see an even better version . more complete  and commanding on the field.

Again, time will tell. Hes a curious one

He is actually very shy, when he is with his peer group, ie guys his same age, he is ok, just finds it difficult making small talk

I also think, because of the media hype, that we are not  dealing with a fully formed person, we are dealing with a guy in his early twenties who has been thrust into the public spotlight because he can play footy, still growing up.........we all need to remember how we were when we were in early 20's

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Daily Dose of Demons said:

If he did end up leaving because we couldn't pay him what he wanted and we got Fyfe and pick in return is anyone here gonna be that upset.

Yes he is very good, has a really strong contested mark and decent skills around the ground and often helps set up goals. My main issue is that he can't kick goals from or on 50, even outside of 40 he struggles to make the distance. He also has a poor attitude and doesn't show much passion.  

If we got the best midfielder in the comp plus a pick we could use to trade for someonelse or take it to the draft, I would be very pleased. I think the main downside is neither weideman or hulett look ready for a full afl season so it may slow the development of the forward line. 

Either way I'm not bothered and can't wait for next season. Go demons! 

So Freo are going to chuck in a pick for someone that struggles to kick goals from 40 meters? You can't have it both ways, if his deficiencies are that much of an issue you can't be expecting to get the best player in the comp and some for him.