4 minutes ago, Maple Demon said:

Sounds like a pro surfer to me.

In all seriousness, it is a name of Hawaiian origin, isn't it? Is White's wife from that area?

In any regard, if the kid can run, handball, and mark, draft him when he reaches that age.

• Like 1

Too much emphasis being placed on Suns being on the 'rebound'. Like it matters. It certainly made no difference to Collingwood and Richmond's fortunes, while I think St.Kilda beat us because Alan Richardson did his homework and exploited us (that, and that they always beat us).

Our small forwards were asleep last week and I don't even want to begin to describe our defenders' efforts. If they are on song today we'll win.

• Like 3

I can easily see us losing today. But i can also see us winning today. Depends which Melbourne turns up really. We're a better team but we tend to get complacent...and GC had a shocker last week so i expect them to bounce back.

Gold Coast in a close one.

1 hour ago, Demon Jack said:

Oliver and Trac playing together for the first time. :) 

Here's to the many centre bounces they will share together over the next 10 years.

Oliver Trac and Viney and Gawn

And Nathan Jones, Bernie Vince,...

• Like 1

Generally we find a way to lose these. I'm hoping today is a stepping stone but we need blokes to get back and help an accident prone defence and by accident prone I mean Colin Garland (bless him). If we can do that, we'll go a long way to winning the match.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 1

Keen to see how some of our players respond.  Much has been made of our back line last week, but outside of Hogan our forward line was really poor as well.  Garlett, Kent and Kennedy are guys that need to hit the scoreboard for us today and apply that pressure that they've been so good in providing for us this year.  I think Petracca might build on his first game as well.  

As a few have said, if Gawn gets on top (like he should) and gives us first use then we go a long way to winning this game of footy.  The Suns have talent but mentally they are pretty shot.  If we can put scoreboard pressure on early then they might fall over.

• Like 4

Robbo interviewing Jeff White. Kalani running out with Stephen Newport's number on (may also have been his dad's).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I just hope that our coaching staff make a mental note of Ablett's number before the game today because they obviously didn't know who #12 was last week.

The problem wasn't the coaching staff, it was the players choosing not to do what they were supposed to. It's also something for the on-field leaders to work out/on during the game, but when one of your main culprits is in the leadership group, then it becomes a ship heading for an iceberg.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bing181 said:

The problem wasn't the coaching staff, it was the players choosing not to do what they were supposed to. It's also something for the on-field leaders to work out/on during the game, but when one of your main culprits is in the leadership group, then it becomes a ship heading for an iceberg.

sorta ...sorta no Bing.  As an example TMac spent 3/4 of a game doing what ( or rather NOT doing ) what he was supposed to be doing. thats 2 good opportunities  ( let alone runners ) to INVOKE that which MUST be done

So if players were going rogue....why didnt the coaches shove them back in line ?  That for mine is THE $64 dollar quesstion

9 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

So if players were going rogue....why didnt the coaches shove them back in line ?  That for mine is THE $64 dollar quesstion

I'm sure the riot act was read ... after the game/in the team review.

I think people here overestimate the impact the coaches have on players on the field on game day. If players won't or can't do what they've been instructed to do, or trained to do, there's not all that much that can be done during a match, especially with senior players. The reverse side of this is obvious with established teams like the Swans or Hawthorn, where the players basically run the show onfield. The plan and everyone's role in it is so ingrained, they don't need gameday input from the coach's box to make it work.

Of course, it takes years to get there, and hopefully the errors of our ways last week will help us learn from our mistakes and move forward. We're still a young team, and perhaps some have got a bit ahead of themselves (e.g. the Essendon match). It's a natural human shortcoming: we always gravitate to what we feel most comfortable with, or find rewarding, or think we're good at - rather than what we need to be doing. Maturity?

4 minutes ago, bing181 said:

I'm sure the riot act was read ... after the game/in the team review.

I think people here overestimate the impact the coaches have on players on the field on game day.

cant quite agree. The Coaches are/should be calling the shots...jump...jump higher..jump over there etc.

I dont agree that Coaches cant affect performance on game day..Maybe some are better at it than others perhaps ? :rolleyes:

I think we're going to open a can of whoop-ass today.

Dee's by 12 goals.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

cant quite agree. The Coaches are/should be calling the shots...jump...jump higher..jump over there etc.

I dont agree that Coaches cant affect performance on game day..Maybe some are better at it than others perhaps ? :rolleyes:

Think you're kidding yourself, especially at this level. Coaches can certainly affect performance on game day, but to a limited extent. Real coaching takes place off the field and in training, trying to install behaviours that then will be replicated on the field. We've all heard the expression "buy-in", and phrases like "lost the dressing room" which by definition, implies that players have a certain amount of free-will in all this. I'm not saying that they're going to deliberately go against the coach (though even there ...), but more that they don't always get the balance right, particularly in the heat of battle with the myriad conflicting requirements and split-second decisions that have to be made.

Whenever I hear someone say "why didn't the coach do something", I always wonder "why didn't the players do something". Do you think the Hawthorn/Swans backline would have given Riewoldt and co. the space they were given last week? I don't - and I also don't believe they would have needed any instructions from the coach's box to get it sorted either.

You can coach plenty of things, but you can't coach experience.

3 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I think we're going to open a can of whoop-ass today.

Dee's by 12 goals.

You just got me very excited.

Do not let me down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McQueen said:I think we're going to open a can of whoop-ass today.

Dee's by 12 goals.

We won't win by over 40 points for a long while yet. Our complacency tends to kick in then, amongst other places.

If we win by 12 goals, I will never post on demonland again :P 

• Like 1

If we win by ANY margin i will never post on Demonland again......

(This promise will not be honored)

Edited by ding
  • Like 3

It's strange. I had a sick feeling in my stomach before the Essendon and St Kilda games, but had no such anxiety going into every other match, including today.

Maybe it's just indifference, but at least I'm not feeling sick to my stomach that something truly awful is about to unfold today. Maybe I have a sixth sense!

Edited by SaberFang
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moneider96 said:

We won't win by over 40 points for a long while yet. Our complacency tends to kick in then, amongst other places.

If we win by 12 goals, I will never post on demonland again :P 

you will post again, haven't won by 40+ in the last 90 games