POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 5

Demonland

Just now, Peter Griffen said:

Disagree mate, i was pretty happy with him, he worked really hard, bought the ball to ground and had a crack, i think he was definitely having an off night, but when you have an off night and still have 16 touches, 9 marks and a couple of good shots on goal, got to be fairly happy with that.

Fair enough, mate. Just thought he was slow of mind tonight a number of times. There was a terrific handball at one point over the back of his head. I'll be interested to watch the replay.

He seemed to really lack vision tonight. A number of times he had teammates on and chose the wrong option and turned it over.

But only up from here. I love that we don't rely on him to win games and whilst he is important to our structure, with our role playing system, we don't rely on any one player. I like that Hogan isn't afraid to go back and drop back in front of opposition forwards.

We're going alright!!!

• Like 5

So great to get the monkey off the back.

Another strong team performance. 20 goals with Hogan not kicking any (AdamFarr, I can't agree with you, not only has Hogan played far worse games than that but he was actually quite good today, a lot more selfless and again leading well). They tried to play a bit dirty, we matched and then beat them at that game, we out-spread them and we were far more efficient moving the ball. We continue to make too many mistakes and against better sides that is going to hurt us much more, but the game plan is working and the personnel are now starting to both believe and demonstrate that they can execute it weekly.

Viney and Gawn absolutely outstanding (Viney surely gets just a reprimand for his strike, if anything?). Tyson also played his best game since 2014 probably, very impressive. Our centre clearance work tonight was fantastic.

Garlett and Vince come back to the side and kick 7 goals between then. Garlett was in everything (looked sore though, limped a bit throughout the game).

Each of Dunn, McDonald and Pedersen did some very important things but each made some bad errors (McDonald especially, I cannot believe how many awful errors he made). Pedersen's marking is improving by the week as is his gut running, IMO.

How clean are Hunt's hands?! I like the kid, really like the way he goes about it.

Brayshaw looked spent by the fourth and should be "rested" to bring Oliver back.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Skill errors, bad decisions, laziness and umpiring. 

There were far more good decisions than bad ones. The improvement in our skills when moving the ball are greatly improved. Laziness? Who? When? I thought it was a really solid team effort. Umpires are umpires they're not within our control. Be happy Clint! We've won two in a row and let's not underestimate how much the Tigers would have wanted to win that game. They applied a lot of pressure but we were good enough to absorb everything they threw at us and respond every time.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Hogan was great today, ran hard, chinsed, bought the ball to ground, stron n in the contest. 

he would be in the best handful on the ground had he kicked straighter

Can't knock his effort agreed. Needs to work on that kicking action though. Hard to change at this age but I think changing It for the better will be the difference between him being a good solid forward vs a stand out one.

Not bad under 40 meters but very dodgy outside of 40. Improving his accuracy from those distances will also help with his confidence generally.

Would be working on this aspect big time from here. I remember a very young Yze also having a few Issues with accuracy early on but he worked his butt off after/outside of usual training times to Improve, eventually becoming  a reliable kick and a dangerous forward.

• Like 2

Just now, P-man said:

I have no idea who Andrew Wu is but I'm glad he got a rogering for that. What a dead head.

He very much took the moral high ground regarding the Goodes booing situation. That's fine, it's his view but essentially to be so high and mighty over one issue then and to condone physical violence is pathetic.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

Fair enough, mate. Just thought he was slow of mind tonight a number of times. There was a terrific handball at one point over the back of his head. I'll be interested to watch the replay.

He seemed to really lack vision tonight. A number of times he had teammates on and chose the wrong option and turned it over.

But only up from here. I love that we don't rely on him to win games and whilst he is important to our structure, with our role playing system, we don't rely on any one player. I like that Hogan isn't afraid to go back and drop back in front of opposition forwards.

We're going alright!!!

Mate, if it's any consolation. Mrs P after his second set shot miss: "He's not very good is he?"

"Who?"

"Number 1"

*looking around to see if anyone heard her before responding* "Yeah nah, he's usually good"

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Thoughts on Brayshaws game?

Not good.  Looks well down on confidence and zip.  That error where he didn't commit to the mark, then got caught holding the ball was one he won't want to watch on the replay.

Tyson on the other hand... He was to be my designated whipping boy for the season and goddamnit he's become one of our best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Skill errors, bad decisions, laziness and umpiring. 

Laziness? On our part? What game were you watching?

Agree with the skill errors (McDonald...) and some bad decisions (early on we were far too keen to switch the ball without thinking about whether it was the right move or not) and the umpiring (tried hard to keep Richmond in it, they did). But not laziness.

• Like 1

Don't you just love Jeffy?

Really Glad Tyson showed why he is an important part of the team tonight.

Kents very important too,love what he adds to the group.

Imagine Oliver and Petracca in this team

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

He very much took the moral high ground regarding the Goodes booing situation. That's fine, it's his view but essentially to be so high and mighty over one issue then and to condone physical violence is pathetic.

I still think the booing of Goodes wasn't racially motivated, no one this year has been booed because of their skin colour. Very happy to listen to other opinions about this though

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Peter Griffen said:

We could easily be 5-0 i think even now a lot of people are underestimating just how much we've improved. 

We are stiff to be 10th on the ladder at 3-2 with a nice percentage

I haven't been this up about footy since 2011 when we beat up on the Crows and Dockers.
The difference is now is that we aren't downhill skiers. Besides the Essendon blip, I have been impressed with out ability to get in and continue fighting.
Now there is a new streak that we need to break. The Saints have clowned us for a good 8 years now.  It's time to get that monkey off the back. 

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

We could easily be 5-0 i think even now a lot of people are underestimating just how much we've improved. 

We could be, but I'm beginning to really ascribe to the theory that the Essendon game was the kick up the backside we needed. We dropped off badly that day. Not a hint of it tonight, and hard to see it happening again for a while.

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, P-man said:

Mate, if it's any consolation. Mrs P after his second set shot miss: "He's not very good is he?"

"Who?"

"Number 1"

*looking around to see if anyone heard her before responding* "Yeah nah, he's usually good"

Haha, brilliant. :D

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Another solid game from Hunt and Warner 

Yeh, loved the kick from Wagner to Hunt on the members wing. Fourth gamer to second gamer, The Future is here

• Like 1