Recriminations on this site

Farmer

I'm concerned that it is so easy, after a narrow loss such as this, for recriminations to break out on this site.

these usually relate to the last few minutes of a game. So, Watts is under fire for not kicking at goal. Dunn tried to stop a half volley with his foot.  Bugg buggered up his kick to Stretch. RVB missed his easy shot.This ignores errors such as Vince's errant kick to Kennedy in Q1 which was marked by Firrito and led to a goal to NM .But, at other times,Tyson is said to have been useless notwithstanding his second quarter. The coaches must have got it all wrong, otherwise we must have been successful. No-one thinks of many remarkable errors made by NM. Errors were inevitable today.

this game was played in remarkable conditions, yet it was one of the best matches I've seen since 1950 when I started supporting Melbourne. In wind such as we saw today a score of 8.18 to 6.16 would have been predictable, or a greater loss for Melbourne.. It was no match for we the supporters to be casting around looking for culprits. 

Melbourne played a first gamer plus third gamer against the most experienced team in the comp. They played on a ground they've never played before. And their best player Max Gawn gave the best  display of knock ruck work I have ever seen in 60 plus years, against the player hitherto regarded as the best ruck in the league. Can anyone recall such direction of the ball to our runners? What about the 8m tap to Tyson in Q2 leading to a brilliant goal?

We are plainly going somewhere and those thrashing around in anger are misguided. It wouldn't matter except that some of the comments are very hurtful, and may play a role in future list decisions

• Like 29

1 minute ago, Farmer said:

We are plainly going somewhere and those thrashing around in anger are misguided. It wouldn't matter except that some of the comments are very hurtful, and may play a role in future list decisions

I commend you on your post as I too thoroughly enjoyed today's performance...

Chalk and cheese the past 2 weeks, for sure!

I am interested in how you believe the "hurtful" comments by some misguided inter web trolls  could play a role in future list decisions?

Surely the days of Cameron Schwab using Demonland as a recruiting almanac are over!?!?!

:roos:"Although I am watching everything"

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KrazyJay said:

I am interested in how you believe the "hurtful" comments by some misguided inter web trolls  could play a role in future list decisions?

Surely the days of Cameron Schwab using Demonland as a recruiting almanac are over!?!?!

Following a recent discussion I believe players do look at these sites

• Like 1

Great post. The loss hurt, they always do, but to see the fight in the players after being 7 goals down, to then be in front at half time was amazing.

Then, to fight out the rest of the game, against a top 4 team, and nearly win it was brilliant!

It's what we want to see from our beloved Dee's, now we need to do it every week!

• Like 4

Just now, Farmer said:

It would happen on every club site Jeff.  It's no different to yelling at them over the fence.  If they let this stuff get to them then they may not be cut out for AFL football.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KrazyJay said:

Hold on if C Schwab had used this forum as a recruiting almanac, we would have done a lot better in our picks from 2007 to 2012 than we did! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Part of me hopes that some players do read here.... If only so they can see how insanely frustrating and painful this life sentence can be :lol:

But as Wiseblood said, if they let what people on here type get in their head, then they may need to look at a different career path...

• Like 1

The players would blame themselves more than we do. As long as it doesn't get too personal, it's what we're all here for. 

Besides, if you leave because of some fan criticism, your heart isn't here anyway, and you'll never be happy at any club. 

• Like 3

Just now, Earl Hood said:

Hold on if C Schwab had used this forum as a recruiting almanac, we would have done a lot better in our picks from 2007 to 2012 than we did! 

True... 

1 minute ago, Deestroy All said:

The players would blame themselves more than we do. As long as it doesn't get too personal, it's what we're all here for. 

Besides, if you leave because of some fan criticism, your heart isn't here anyway, and you'll never be happy at any club. 

Although, there is apparently a club out there that are always a happy team and ride each other with grins (or something like that) :cool:

• Like 2

To me it will always be about effort.

Unfortunately North at this moment are a better side than us and I think the only thing that beat us was composure which will come with more experience.

These "efforts" need to be our benchmark and we will win more than we will lose if we keep to that effort standard.

• Like 1

I really hope the players do read this forum. 

Most of them haven't been here for 10 years+

We have. If these players drag us back up the ladder to Finals and Flags then they will be revered. 

But an effort like last week (and to a degree the first 20 minutes yesterday) cannot be accepted ever. 

These guys need to believe in their talents and push themselves beyond what they thought possible. 

We all pay good money to this club even when Schwab was blowing it all

this forum is where the Demon Passion lives. We get pis.sed off because we care

The players didn't care enough last week so they deserve to be baked...

• Like 2

I really hope the players do read this forum. 

Most of them haven't been here for 10 years+

We have. If these players drag us back up the ladder to Finals and Flags then they will be revered. 

But an effort like last week (and to a degree the first 20 minutes yesterday) cannot be accepted ever. 

These guys need to believe in their talents and push themselves beyond what they thought possible. 

We all pay good money to this club even when Schwab was blowing it all

this forum is where the Demon Passion lives. We get pis.sed off because we care

The players didn't care enough last week so they deserve to be baked...

Well if the players do read this site let me say the following:

I am extremely proud of your effort at a new ground for you, against a full strength preliminary finalist, who have several players that cheat by ducking and diving to get free kicks, who had the benefit of more dubious free kicks in a game than I can recall, leading to 7 goals to them and with many dubious decisions again, robbing us of free kicks and even marks.

I don't like saying this, but you were robbed of the win by incompetent umpiring that favoured North all day.

I apologize to HL, who played a much improved game, after I called for his sacking last week and who gave us some run off half back.

To those who made mistakes, I say who doesn't.

I applaud your effort this week and thank you for showing us all, that we have a future.

I look forward to seeing JT, CP5, Oscar, Weed, ANB, Max King and Hunt playing in the team.

I hope you approach every remaining game this year with the same intensity.

After the anger of last week, I am proud to be a Demon supporter again.

• Like 22

Maybe yesterday if we looked for the intensity. I looked and there was a lot of it yesterday. Much more than the week before. I want to feel intimidated by the intensity...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Well if the players do read this site let me say the following:

I am extremely proud of your effort at a new ground for you, against a full strength preliminary finalist, who have several players that cheat by ducking and diving to get free kicks, who had the benefit of more dubious free kicks in a game than I can recall, leading to 7 goals to them and with many dubious decisions again, robbing us of free kicks and even marks.

I don't like saying this, but you were robbed of the win by incompetent umpiring that favoured North all day.

I apologize to HL, who played a much improved game, after I called for his sacking last week and who gave us some run off half back.

To those who made mistakes, I say who doesn't.

I applaud your effort this week and thank you for showing us all, that we have a future.

I look forward to seeing JT, CP5, Oscar, Weed, ANB, Max King and Hunt playing in the team.

I hope you approach every remaining game this year with the same intensity.

After the anger of last week, I am proud to be a Demon supporter again.

Great post Mr Leg.

And I'd like to add ...

This game shows how you guys look so much better, as team and as individuals, when you take the game on and take risks (intelligent risks).

If going for it means you might make more mistakes ... then go for it anyway!

Edited by Akum
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Farmer said:

Jeez, I wonder if some of us constantly bagging Garland had an impact on the FD dropping him this week? Then again, if they blocked everyone bar Saty, we'd have the same list every year, with the exception of retirements.

But in all seriousness, this week was one of the rare times I've seen us have an honourable loss. But that doesn't mean that the team can't play better, and the personnel shouldn't change.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nutbean said:

To me it will always be about effort.

Unfortunately North at this moment are a better side than us and I think the only thing that beat us was composure which will come with more experience.

These "efforts" need to be our benchmark and we will win more than we will lose if we keep to that effort standard.

This must be the end, the end of crappy efforts, the end of soft excuses like some players were tired, we got ahead of ourselves (ffs what has any Melbourne player got to get ahead of themselves about). Yesterday must be the benchmark of effort for the rest of the year! With the right attitude we have the next 3 games for the taking. We must win these games! Losing them is NOT an option.

• Like 1

I don't mind reading fair criticism although I would rather read about the really good things the boys do. But please, can those posters that harp on about the the club being no better now than it was in the dark days and keep on saying that the culture hasn't changed please quit. Open your eyes and ears. The "culture" is totally different and the club so much better in all areas. What about having a go at being a supporter and not a denigrator; become someone that barracks for the team and supports the club. It is a lot more fun. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Redlegs Too said:

I don't mind reading fair criticism although I would rather read about the really good things the boys do. But please, can those posters that harp on about the the club being no better now than it was in the dark days and keep on saying that the culture hasn't changed please quit. Open your eyes and ears. The "culture" is totally different and the club so much better in all areas. What about having a go at being a supporter and not a denigrator; become someone that barracks for the team and supports the club. It is a lot more fun. 

That is all very well as long as Round 2's performance is NEVER REPEATED again..

We all saw how bad Essendrug really are on Friday night...They took our 4 points, that is a reality.

16 minutes ago, Redlegs Too said:

"The culture" means JS if you're not winning games. If we remain a club in the bottom half of the ladder for the next 5 years, what has an improved culture achieved?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Farmer said:

I'm concerned that it is so easy, after a narrow loss such as this, for recriminations to break out on this site.

these usually relate to the last few minutes of a game. So, Watts is under fire for not kicking at goal. Dunn tried to stop a half volley with his foot.  Bugg buggered up his kick to Stretch. RVB missed his easy shot.This ignores errors such as Vince's errant kick to Kennedy in Q1 which was marked by Firrito and led to a goal to NM .But, at other times,Tyson is said to have been useless notwithstanding his second quarter. The coaches must have got it all wrong, otherwise we must have been successful. No-one thinks of many remarkable errors made by NM. Errors were inevitable today.

this game was played in remarkable conditions, yet it was one of the best matches I've seen since 1950 when I started supporting Melbourne. In wind such as we saw today a score of 8.18 to 6.16 would have been predictable, or a greater loss for Melbourne.. It was no match for we the supporters to be casting around looking for culprits. 

Melbourne played a first gamer plus third gamer against the most experienced team in the comp. They played on a ground they've never played before. And their best player Max Gawn gave the best  display of knock ruck work I have ever seen in 60 plus years, against the player hitherto regarded as the best ruck in the league. Can anyone recall such direction of the ball to our runners? What about the 8m tap to Tyson in Q2 leading to a brilliant goal?

How dare you.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Farmer said:

Thanks Farmer,  great post.   Anger is to often thrown about at others,  out of frustration,  or contempt for a differing position.

This club needs to get fierce,  aggressive about our footy,  & against opponents of us.  Not of our own.   IMO positive criticism's OK,  for reason to achieve beneficial change. 

Many here just find lashing out irresistible.   that is anger.  and needs managing.

----------------------------------

About the weekends game,,,  wow.    I missed the1st Qtr,  but heard the scores....  Then the fightback...  fantastic to be able to fightback,  & too hold that aggression thru the remainder of the game.

1 hour ago, Redlegs Too said:

The culture of the team & list is changing for the better...    But, the culture of  'the club',  is the same.   That is the culture of the support base,  that effects the players over periods of time,  wearing down the gains made, like the waves on the beach, lapping at the sand.. 

This is how the team culture starts to  "eek away",  time after time,  after its been repaired.

This is what I've been aiming at.  The constant erosion of our players meanness,  & hunger. 

The same thing that makes Us more  'squeaky clean',  than all other AFL clubs,  by FAR.

IT is this  ^ ,  the reason why we continually turn our players into "bruise free".   And this Is the reason why players who are confident in they're own abilities,  won't come to the 'squeaky clean' Melbourne footy club, unless for huge payouts.

Its a bad career move for the same reasons.

.... no success.    'bruise free' choir boys,   (about a sliding scale of 5 years)  after whichever past-coach has just re-fired our passions & deesires,  then left us.

19 hours ago, Farmer said:

It's up to the administrators to keep it nice. i have never subscribed to some of the free speech character assassinations on here, esp. the ones which are pretentiously prefixed as "op's".