Post match Discussion "Fire away"

What

19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I was furious watching the game on Saturday, absolutely furious. Moreso than I have been watching a game of footy for some time. It was worse than 186 or 148 because in those games I was just kinda numb to what was going on as it was an utter capitulation. This was different. If the Melbourne players had have tried with just a fraction more effort than they showed we would have won by 5 goals no problem.

What is worrisome is the team seems incapable of setting things back on course after a poor start. Quarter time/half time/ 3/4 time all offered a chance to reset and go again but each quarter we came out with more of the same. When we did get a couple in a row and hit the lead in the 2nd and 4th quarters the players again seemed to revert to cruise control and think it would just happen again.

It reminds of our start to last year in a way - beat GC in round 1, capitulate to GWS in round 2. Lets see how they back up this week, if they can bring the effort to North and take the game up to them I'll be happy win, lose or draw and it will set up our next month off footy. If they bring the same tired, lazy attitudes it's gonna be another long year.

At least we played four quarters of solid footy against the Gold Coast last year. This year we managed one and a half against GWS and none against the Cheats. I'd say being a young side we will be inconsistent etc, but we can't even play four quarters in one week, let alone every second week.

There's no doubt we have a better list now, but the blokes in the 22-28 age bracket are still wildly inconsistent. Think McDonald and Watts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, willmoy said:

Will anybody here in ten weeks time be saying that it was good for Melbourne FC that we lost this game.....

Maybe. You learn from the mistakes (I know, but this season has a different set of circumstances). It might even turn out to be a good thing for next week. Especially in that the club hasn't seemed to have lost its confidence after a poor performance.

2 hours ago, willmoy said:

Will anybody here in ten weeks time be saying that it was good for Melbourne FC that we lost this game.....

No.

How many of those kind of losses do you need to have before you finally "learn" from them?

We should have been passed this stage by now.

• Like 5

As I've mentioned, I haven't seen the game and can't bring myself to, however...

We were in front with 10 minutes to go.  How does a team that has had over 100 possessions less and is being killed on the spread get back in front ?  I know Daniher kicked inaccurately, so I suppose that was partly it and perhaps they too butchered the ball, which in turn handed it back to us.

5 minutes ago, ProDee said:

As I've mentioned, I haven't seen the game and can't bring myself to, however...

We were in front with 10 minutes to go.  How does a team that has had over 100 possessions less and is being killed on the spread get back in front ?  I know Daniher kicked inaccurately, so I suppose that was partly it and perhaps they too butchered the ball, which in turn handed it back to us.

That's how. And A LOT of their behinds were easy set shots.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Please don't watch it. I fear you may reach your tipping point. :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ProDee said:

We scored totally against the run of play.  I can't bring myself to watch it again.  We were extremely lucky to be in touch with Essendon all day - so comprehensively outplayed were we.  When we were 2 goals up in the 2nd and a goal up in the last I was absolutely certain that it was temporary because their dominant pattern was repeated all day.  My 18yo daughter who goes to the footy rarely was calling the play ahead of it happening.

Quite frankly it was on a par with the initial Neeld days against Brisbane when we'd go down the line, force a throw in and they'd kill us in the contest.  Different pattern but just as predictable.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, willmoy said:

Let me put it this way.

What if they'd missed the goal that put them in front, we'd taken it down the other end & got a goal, and escaped with a lucky win with over a hundred less possessions?

The only way we'll beat ANY team this year is to plan and prepare well, choose wisely, work hard and play smart. If we let the other team dictate the terms of the game, we lose. We're nowhere near the stage where we can go easy on any one of these elements and still win, even against the crappiest teams.

This humiliating loss showed us that as a whole club (or at least the FD), we clearly hadn't learned any of these lessons - the whole club is to blame, not just any one player. It was a lesson we might not have heeded if we'd scraped a lucky win.

So, if in 10 weeks' time it's obvious that we've learned that lesson and changed what needed to be changed, it will have been well worth it. But it all depends what we do from now on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, willmoy said:

If and only if we beat both Brissy and Carlton by 10+ goals then i will say that this was a harsh but good lesson

But lets face it that wont happen hell I'll probably put money on each of them beating us

9 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

If and only if we beat both Brissy and Carlton by 10+ goals then i will say that this was a harsh but good lesson

But lets face it that wont happen hell I'll probably put money on each of them beating us

I'm dreading playing Brisbane, they are working on there offence while we are still playing 2005 defence, they are starting to kick big scores against good sides while we still average 10 goal a game

3 hours ago, willmoy said:

Lets hope that this is the case.  Jesus though, how do we stop Petrie Waite and Brown this week when we couldn't handle Daniher.  I think North will win by 10+ goals.  I have no faith whatsoever at the moment.  In eight quarters of footy this year they have played two good quarters.  This is going to get ugly this week.  Our players will have further doubts in their heads after last weeks game.  Boomer Harvey will be in the North rooms before the game telling his teammates something along these lines "this is the mentally softest footy team in a decade boys, this is one of the worst skilled footy team in a decade boys, we are not losing to this mob, no way."  He won't allow it to happen. Make no mistake, within the walls of other footy clubs, The Melbourne Football Club is a mockery.  There can be no doubt about this.  Being beaten by Melbourne is the greatest motivation of any club in the AFL to make sure they get the four points when they front up.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WhyAlwaysMe said:

I'm dreading playing Brisbane, they are working on there offence while we are still playing 2005 defence, they are starting to kick big scores against good sides while we still average 10 goal a game

their midfield is far more developed too, i feel overall we are ahead of them right now but they are catching us fast and next year will probably overtake us... just like every other side that falls into the bottom 4

Wow....after reading through this thread I think I will just go and slit my wrists now.

We are two games into a season.....Some posters are wanting to get rid of Hogan or drop him at least after a couple of off games....Really ?

Some saying Roos is the problem?     Can't remember him getting a kick or handball....Must go

Geelong were world beaters in round 1...........Couldn't back it up over the Suns the next week

West Coast the same.......Richmond the same.......Pt. Adelaide looked worse than us but same.

Freo can't win a game.   If you're 2% off then you will struggle but before we get the knives out in earnest.....How about we wait for a couple weeks and see how it all comes together.     We are 1 and 1 in a long season.

(Sharp knife put back in drawer)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

Wow....after reading through this thread I think I will just go and slit my wrists now.

We are two games into a season.....Some posters are wanting to get rid of Hogan or drop him at least after a couple of off games....Really ?

Some saying Roos is the problem?     Can't remember him getting a kick or handball....Must go

Geelong were world beaters in round 1...........Couldn't back it up over the Suns the next week

West Coast the same.......Richmond the same.......Pt. Adelaide looked worse than us but same.

Freo can't win a game.   If you're 2% off then you will struggle but before we get the knives out in earnest.....How about we wait for a couple weeks and see how it all comes together.     We are 1 and 1 in a long season.

That's fine but we have done this now for 8 years. Comparing it to teams who to be in this position is rare for them, isnt really comparable. 

People have a right to feel this way, it's heading towards a decade now of performances like this. 

What baffles me, is that even in the first game in which we won, I am yet to see any signs of the running/attacking/taking the game on style of play we attempted during the NAB cup. 

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

I partially agree with you. Im not sure we should be quite in the panic stations that many are at right now. However, the way in which we lost was particularly conserning... we have played badly and lost against teams we shouldnt have last year but we havent played so effortlessly since Neeld.. that gives everyone here the right to be furious. I see the way we lose as the biggest thing every week, a hard fought 4 goal loss is enough against North (i would rather a win but i want effort and glimses of the future). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

Good points Bossdog.  Im almost ashamed to be so negative at the moment as I have always been glass half full with the dees.  But did you see Saturdays game?  

Why would we learn anything from last Saturdays game?

we didn't learn anything from 186

Nothing from "Bruise Free Footy

last years losses to Essendrug and Carlton taught us nothing. 

Even Roosy is spinning BS now

"Tired going into the 2nd Round"

KB & Patrick had a field day this morning...

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, pinkshark said:

Good points Bossdog.  Im almost ashamed to be so negative at the moment as I have always been glass half full with the dees.  But did you see Saturdays game?  

Yeah I did.......It wasn't good but I also watch us in a debarcle  vs Stkilda last year and the next week we beat Geelong at Geelong.......Did our players gain skills through that week? or just a different attitude.?   

2 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

Yeah I did.......It wasn't good but I also watch us in a debarcle  vs Stkilda last year and the next week we beat Geelong at Geelong.......Did our players gain skills through that week? or just a different attitude.?   

Oh well then, I hope the boys have the right attitude for this weeks game.  That would be nice of them.  As a paying supporter, I'd be very grateful for that.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, pinkshark said:

Oh well then, I hope the boys have the right attitude for this weeks game.  That would be nice of them.  As a paying supporter, I'd be very grateful for that.

Must be hard for professional athletes/footballers to have a "never say die", "let's win" attitude.

i have one, and I actually pay to watch them play instead of getting paid to play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bossdog said:

If you're 2% off the you will struggle

Not sure how footballers and commentors quantify being 'off'. We're tracking at below 75% of the league standard for pressure acts in our  two games to date. I think that's a more accurate measurement than some amorphous figure the've plucked out of the air.  It's not a question of inches between winning and losing for us atm, it's miles

• Like 1