Could Melbourne have Western Bulldogs-like resurgence in 2016?

Curry & Beer

depends on a few things imo

1. Tom Mcdonald reaching top form and staying there

2. Max Gawn staying fit

3. Dom Tyson getting back to his best footy

4. we find ways to score that aren't Jesse Hogan and jeff Garlett.

Edited by Demonland
test
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

sorry if posted elsewhere, I didn't see it anywhere

very rare opportunity to read some nice things about us

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/could-melbourne-have-western-bulldogslike-resurgence-in-2016/news-story/ba64fbba636e590dde6e152c13f29b07

My favourite line from the article:  FEAR THE BEARD!

and we all know who that is:rolleyes:

Could Melbourne  will have Western Bulldogs-like resurgence in 2016?

FIXED !!

• Like 5

Here is another article on our 2016 prospects.    http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/03/08/2016-afl-preview-series-melbourne-demons/

Perhaps not as positive as that in the OP but a fair assessment of the team today:  Extracts:

Backline:  The Melbourne backline is solid but lacking class.

Midfield: The Melbourne midfield is wanting for pure ball-winning ability and class, but not for grunt. They struggle to win easy ball.

Ruck: Max Gawn ...will add a dimension to Melbourne that few other clubs have. Athletic, great hands, fiery.

Forward Lline: The Demon forward-line starts with Jesse Hogan and ends with Jeff Garlett.

Overall: The Demons look fairly solid in all areas of the ground now, able to compete with most teams in the present, but finally with some stable building blocks for the future that suggests finals isn’t the pipe dream it’s been for the last decade.

Their ladder prediction for 2016 is 12th but could be 10th to 15th.  I think the article is a fair assessment based on what we have shown to date.  But if a few players take the next step and a few things really click, for us to be knocking on the door of the 8 is a reasonable expectation.

• Like 3

Just now, Lucifer's Hero said:

Here is another article on our 2016 prospects.    http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/03/08/2016-afl-preview-series-melbourne-demons/

Perhaps not as positive as that in the OP but a fair assessment of the team today:  Extracts:

Backline:  The Melbourne backline is solid but lacking class.

Midfield: The Melbourne midfield is wanting for pure ball-winning ability and class, but not for grunt. They struggle to win easy ball.

Ruck: Max Gawn ...will add a dimension to Melbourne that few other clubs have. Athletic, great hands, fiery.

Forward Lline: The Demon forward-line starts with Jesse Hogan and ends with Jeff Garlett.

Overall: The Demons look fairly solid in all areas of the ground now, able to compete with most teams in the present, but finally with some stable building blocks for the future that suggests finals isn’t the pipe dream it’s been for the last decade.

Their ladder prediction for 2016 is 12th but could be 10th to 15th.  I think the article is a fair assessment based on what we have shown to date.  But if a few players take the next step and a few things really click, for us to be knocking on the door of the 8 is a reasonable expectation.

I think that is a pretty fair assessment. I do however think we are starting to build a very strong midfield who will be genuine ball winners. They are just slightly too young at the moment to do it every week, though I think by next year our midfield will be seen as one of the stronger ones.

We really do need to add more class off the half back line and I think we need another strong key backman. I think our forward line will develop to be fairly strong with Hogan, Garlett, Petracca and Weideman. Again this won't reach its potential for another year or two. Good times ahead though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

2. Max Gawn staying fit

4. we find ways to score that aren't Jesse Hogan and jeff Garlett

Number 2 is huge. If Gawn goes down we will be pretty stuffed.

Number 4 is a big one too - we need our mids to contribute goals and I think we're heading there especially once Petracca gets on the park. I think we'll see a wider spread of goals this year hopefully with contributions from Watts, Pedersen, Brayshaw, Tyson, Jones, Petracca, Salem etc all getting amongst it.

28 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

2. Max Gawn staying fit

4. we find ways to score that aren't Jesse Hogan and jeff Garlett

1)   Tom , despite the many pages elsewhere , just needs to tidy up his disposal. His defending form is fine. I think he'll be helped out with  "wingmen"

2) The fitter he is the fitter he stays.   Crossed fingers for sure . Gee hasnt he made a difference. We still need to develop his understudy ...and quickly

3) I think Dom is but one of a handful that need to refind form.. Dom, Harry, Garland  needs to step up a bit as well.

4) Watts, Kent, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem  and who ever puts hand up as second tall.

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

1)   Tom , despite the many pages elsewhere , just needs to tidy up his disposal. His defending form is fine. I think he'll be helped out with  "wingmen"

2) The fitter he is the fitter he stays.   Crossed fingers for sure . Gee hasnt he made a difference. We still need to develop his understudy ...and quickly

3) I think Dom is but one of a handful that need to refind form.. Dom, Harry, Garland  needs to step up a bit as well.

4) Watts, Kent, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem  and who ever puts hand up as second tall.

Agreed on Tom, but he's also closing in on 100 games and is capable of being an AA quality defender and to play finals we are going to need every bit of that.

Gawn i think will be fine but we have so little depth

Dom at his best is the classy mid we are lacking but he is also capable of kicking multiple goals which takes him to another level of importance

I think we will be hoping for 50 from Hogan, 50 from Garlett and another 50 maybe from Watts, Kent, Tyson, Vandenberg, Kennedy, Pedo, Dawes, as a collective.

really need one of Dawes, Watts or Pedo to step up and kick 25 plus goals and be that second target to take the pressure off Hogan

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Agreed on Tom, but he's also closing in on 100 games and is capable of being an AA quality defender and to play finals we are going to need every bit of that.

Dom at his best is the classy mid we are lacking but he is also capable of kicking multiple goals which takes him to another level of importance

I think we will be hoping for 50 from Hogan, 50 from Garlett and another 50 maybe from Watts, Kent, Tyson, Vandenberg, Kennedy, Pedo, Dawes, as a collective.

really need one of Dawes, Watts or Pedo to step up and kick 25 plus goals and be that second target to take the pressure off Hogan

I think the role thats perfect for  Watts is THIRD tall forward.. with a bit of freedom .  Frost, Dawes, Pedo can al lfill the 2nd fwd spot in some fashion. Just need one to really help out  Hoges.  Hoges will get attention but he'll get better at eluding it as well. Teams need to be wary.. Focus too much on  Jesse and a swarm of others will kick goals once we  fine tune the machine.

Just about all of the mids now are there partly because they can hit the scoreboard. Jones got 12 last season and he was not always in tip top form. I think he'ls good for a goal a game in 2016

We need to prevent about 2 goals a game as compared season 15.....and kick another  2/3 goals per game as compared last year.. We do that we play finals.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Use that term loosely. I still his filed kicking needs a lot of improvement. His hands are very classy but needs to work on giving the best first option.

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I think the role thats perfect for  Watts is THIRD tall forward.. with a bit of freedom .  Frost, Dawes, Pedo can al lfill the 2nd fwd spot in some fashion. Just need one to really help out  Hoges.  Hoges will get attention but he'll get better at eluding it as well. Teams need to be wary.. Focus too much on  Jesse and a swarm of others will kick goals once we  fine tune the machine.

Just about all of the mids now are there partly because they can hit the scoreboard. Jones got 12 last season and he was not always in tip top form. I think he'ls good for a goal a game in 2016

We need to prevent about 2 goals a game as compared season 15.....and kick another  2/3 goals per game as compared last year.. We do that we play finals.

I reckon this will take care of itself with an improved midfield and Gawn giving them first use

3 minutes ago, Devil is in the Detail said:

Depends what we take.

No no no no no, 93 wasn't about what they took, it was about how much they paid!

• Like 2

It is all about the start of our season, if we can start well get the confidence up anything is possible. If we can be 4 and 2 or even better 5 and 1 by the end of April that would really set us up. If it is the flip all that confidence gets smashed and you are done.  The only thing that is holding us back to really improve is belief, at the moment our players have it most clubs do through pre-season but that can be taken away very quickly if you don't deliver in the first 5-6 rounds

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coup Cooper said:

Can Melbourne replicate the "Baby Bombers" from 1993*

Reading demonland at 3/4Q time on Sunday, you would've thought we'd be fighting it out for the spoon...

• Like 3

There are definate reasons for optimism this season.

Pre season indicates that the players are getting used to the game plan and playing with more purpose and confidence.

Goodwin has added a more attacking element, and our recruiting has added a few more players who should put pressure on for spots.

Hogan, Gawn and Viney are ready to explode, and Oliver looks a genuine star in the making.

Petracca is the trump card....and Jones reckons he is the most powerful young player he has seen on the track .

I think we will be thereabouts, either just in or just out of the eight, but we need a good start with wins against GWS and the Bombers in the first two rounds to get us off to a good start.

• Like 2

Doggies season seemed like a one off fluke tbh I think we will have sustained success, they wont.

Still cant believe the contract they gave Boyd..

Edited by Demonland
test
  • Like 1