Training - Tuesday 9th February, 2016

Coup Cooper

The AFL have banned sling tackles like the one I understand Viney applied to McDonald. That tackle is designed to cause serious injury. Pinning a players arm so they have absolutely no way to protect themselves as the tackler smashes their head into the ground. I don't believe it ever had a place in AFL football and now it officially doesn't. Why on earth you would want to apply that tackle to a team mate at training is beyond me. It doesn't show toughness it just shows absolute stupidity. He's bloody lucky he didn't seriously injure T Mc for the start of the season. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Let's see how the new tackle rule shapes up before we speculate too much.

It was a silly tackle in that it risked hurting a team mate, in a similar way in which you wouldn't knee a team mate in the back in a marking contest at training.

But for the last 100 or so years it would've been a great tackle on game day, just like the tackle on Ablett in round 1. 

How they will adjudicate tackles is a bit beyond me, but I think besides obvious slings they'll go on whether the player is concussed or not. Tommy Mc wasn't and it wasn't a slinging tackle, it was a dumping tackle with the arms pinged. If they call it a free kick or suspension I'd like to know just how they rule on it and not almost every other tackle that pins the arms and takes a player to ground.

If you pin arms and dump a player with his head hitting the ground you're treading on thin ice.

Some days the unpredictable MRP will suspend you and sometimes they won't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Time said:

The AFL have banned sling tackles like the one I understand Viney applied to McDonald. That tackle is designed to cause serious injury. Pinning a players arm so they have absolutely no way to protect themselves as the tackler smashes their head into the ground. I don't believe it ever had a place in AFL football and now it officially doesn't. Why on earth you would want to apply that tackle to a team mate at training is beyond me. It doesn't show toughness it just shows absolute stupidity. He's bloody lucky he didn't seriously injure T Mc for the start of the season. 

you were there at the time?    or this is just your opinion of his action,  with no regard to his thoughts on this matter?

edit #   maybe he wanted to hear him cry out-a-loud ???  just sayin. 

.....   maybe his balls squeak when he walks ???  Viney couldabeen trying to loosen him up a bit.

Edited by dee-luded

12 minutes ago, Emerald said:

I bet no other clubs are doing fight simulations at training,this might be the edge we need.Get Barassi and Zantuck down there as mentors.

And add that little angel 'SLUG'  Jordan,,,  as special comments man as well... I'll pay to attend.    'Daryl Cox',   I believe would like to attend to this matter.

53 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

you were there at the time?    or this is just your opinion of his action,  with no regard to his thoughts on this matter?

edit #   maybe he wanted to hear him cry out-a-loud ???  just sayin. 

.....   maybe his balls squeak when he walks ???  Viney couldabeen trying to loosen him up a bit.

What a pathetic response and a idiotic swip at Tom Mcdonald.

You weren't there either yourself. Your only going by training reports and articles and thats enough for you to pretty much say that Tommy Mac needs to grow a pair? If Nathan Jones who is one of our most courageous and hardest players is saying he took it too far then thats enough for.

And please enough with the 'but its culture this, culture that term'... Has nothing to do with culture at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

What a pathetic response and a idiotic swip at Tom Mcdonald.

You weren't there either yourself. Your only going by training reports and articles and thats enough for you to pretty much say that Tommy Mac needs to grow a pair? If Nathan Jones who is one of our most courageous and hardest players is saying he took it too far then thats enough for.

And please enough with the 'but its culture this, culture that term'... Has nothing to do with culture at all.

LoL,,, wow you are so precious.  I wouldn't believe it if I didn't read it here.

I said Viney tested TMac (one of my Fav players) out on the track... I inferred TMac maybe? a bit shy & unobtrusive in Viney's thinking.

I did not say TMac needs to grow a pair at all thats your addition to the post, in your own minds eye.  It says more about you,  your biases in your perceptions,  than what I did Not infer.

Interesting how people colour in others writings with their own fears & angers.

#    our past lack of aggression has everything to do Directly with our soft cosy culture

On 9 February 2016 at 11:12 AM, jnrmac said:

Awesome. But its probably a bit stupid at this point too. Still you maybe can't turn that aggression on and off. You either have it all the time (which Viney does) or you maybe you don't....

Makes sense now.  Viney probably heard his best mate Wines was about to sign an extension at Port and took it out on T Mac.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, It's Time said:

I didn't see much of a sling action or a double action. He pinned the arms as that's exactly what is required to stop a player disposing of the ball. Good players only need 1 arm free to dispose of the ball, even average players can pretty much do as they like if no hands are pinned.. His mistake was to dump him too forcefully for a training situation, but if you think the AFL will be able to discern between what is and isn't a legal tackle then you've got more faith in them than I do.

Sling tackles had to go. But crunching side on tackles will be very hard to police. You can't be penalising players for just being stronger and harder than others.

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I didn't see much of a sling action or a double action. He pinned the arms as that's exactly what is required to stop a player disposing of the ball. Good players only need 1 arm free to dispose of the ball, even average players can pretty much do as they like if no hands are pinned.. His mistake was to dump him too forcefully for a training situation, but if you think the AFL will be able to discern between what is and isn't a legal tackle then you've got more faith in them than I do.

Sling tackles had to go. But crunching side on tackles will be very hard to police. You can't be penalising players for just being stronger and harder than others.

Easy enough. Smack someone's head into the ground you're gone. 

Looks like Jack Watts will be our 3rd tall.  An interview:   http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/video-watts-jacks-best-position/

On contests:“It wasn’t quite up to scratch. That’s pretty much what the whole team is getting drilled on.”

On our game: Goody (Simon Goodwin) is starting to really take control of our offensive movement...

On where we are at:  “It’s a really positive feeling at the club and that improvement is what sort of drives us to start really enjoying footy and winning games, and becoming respected in the competition.”  confirming similar comments from our intrepid DL posters of team training.

You've gotta love Brayshaw's quoted comment:  “the club wants guys who have a crack and compete for 100 percent of the game,”  That is what we fans have been waiting so long for.  Great attitude by the kid so lets hope the whole team brings that to our games.

Think I will enjoy going to the footy in 2016 much, much more than for many a year!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

As always, the MRP and tribunal will, in their totally impartial and reproducable manner, determine each case on its merits depending on

- which player e.g. Franklin or Viney,

- which club e.g. 'important club' or 'also rans',

- early to mid season vs approaching finals and a 'franchise player'.

That is how it has always happened and I see no reason that it will be any different this season.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2016 at 10:51 AM, Coup Cooper said:

Dee's training..

I arrived there and H, Watts, King, Petracca boxing ...

TRENGOVE! in the main group.

I got there about 10 ... they were doing lane work but with a guy in between so they would hit up spin and then stab ... Yes stab the ball hard!! And most were hitting targets ... mainly watched Trengove. He looks sharp! Hope he pulls up well. Hunt looks fast. The boys real revving into i about something.. Was funny..

Whilst there was lane work, there was a complicated 3 man weevish handball going.. Good intensity.. Macca yelling get the young kids a touch early, get them one in the first 30 seconds..

Then they went into circle work but would finish off with a goal at either end.. Kent moving well..

(Dawes took a mark)

Hullet is a monster and could start Rd 1 based on size.. Don't know about his kicking though.. All skills good.. Only misses I saw were from Spencer, Vanders, Wagner and TMac.. 

Boys still boxing..

They then moved to a halfback/wing/fwd drill.. Quick hands, play on at all costs.. Where my favourite part of the session happened. 

Viney just ripped TMac to the ground, smashed his head face first ala Ablett tackles.. Tmac grab his neck and told him that's stupid.. Viney "you're a sook go play netball" God I love Viney!!

Atm Dawes currently working with King (#34) and Weiderman.. Teaching them how to use their body in marking contests..

Oliver running laps..

Notes: Grimes is looking the fittest I've seen him and didn't miss a target or drop a mark.. Jones looks 100%.. Bugg is small.. But fast.. Kent looks to have that arrogance of a Dane Swan..

Didn't see Vince.. And Goodwin pretty much ran training..

(There are still going)

As long as he doesn't try and teach them how to use their hands!

• Like 1