Cam McCarthy takes indefinite leave

jnrmac

48 minutes ago, mo64 said:

What garbage! He'd signed a contract extension 6 months prior, and nobody put a gun to his head. Good on GWS for playing hardball. If you want a state of origin set-up where every kid gets to play in their home state, say goodbye to the QLD and NSW teams.

thats why the cola was in place.

1 hour ago, willmoy said:

Would not be one bit surprised if Bombers have had their fingers in this mishmash already. Told him to go home, lay low, we will take care of everything.

Looking for someone to help Danaher, ready to go and plenty of draft space and money from the AFL 

Yeah actually id be very suprised. Honestly i understand its your opinion but this is the most stupid thing i have read on here.

The bloke wants to go to Freo and Freo only. Will NOT go to any other club especially cellar dwellar like Essendon who are bound for alot of pain on and off field for couple more years. The kid isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. Went on a radio interview last and said that he is still a passionate freo supporter and barracks for them whenever he can.

• Like 1

I'm all for GWS playing hard ball and not trading him but surely with all of the psych testing and other behavioural analysis that clubs do nowadays they should've seen it coming.

Look, for all we know his reasons for wanting back to WA could be very plausible. All we're hearing is homesickness but it could be well warranted.

Kids mature at different rates. AFL clubs need to somehow predict the future.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yeah actually id be very suprised. Honestly i understand its your opinion but this is the most stupid thing i have read on here.

The bloke wants to go to Freo and Freo only. Will NOT go to any other club especially cellar dwellar like Essendon who are bound for alot of pain on and off field for couple more years. The kid isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. Went on a radio interview last and said that he is still a passionate freo supporter and barracks for them whenever he can.

GWS should just refuse to deal with Freo. I think McCarthy has been disrespectful, he didn't get his own way, then his manager decides to make the point (when he didn't have to), that McCarthy definitely wouldn't be at GWS in 2017. I just find the whole thing childish (on McCarthy's behalf). If he has depression, then sure, that is a legitimate reason to want to leave, but that doesn't excuse some of the behaviour during trade period. It isn't GWS fault McCarthy signed an extension and they wanted to hold him to it.

• Like 1

I don't mean to sound cruel, but homesickness itself isn't really an illness. It's feeling a little sad and disappointed.

So if that was the case in trade week then GWS have every right to say 'you just signed a 3 year contract extension' and that they will keep him, give him his break from September to mid November ie. 10+ weeks back in Perth, give him his 2 weeks over Xmas back in Perth and work with him to facilitate other things like family and friends coming to spend weekends with him in Sydney. 

They don't have the power to hold him hostage and have rightly let him take some extended leave and I bet they are still paying him.

Now if he has depression or another serious illness they have to help him and if they lose out at the trade period later in the year then it's too bad for them. 

But it's an adult business and he signed a contract as an adult and GWS have every right to decide to hold him to it.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Bloke I used to like said the same thing about Freo a couple of years ago, just trying to remember who that was.

And your right I do make stupid comments sometimes, everyone does. Plus I hate cheats extra special.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Bloke I used to like said the same thing about Freo a couple of years ago, just trying to remember who that was.

And your right I do make stupid comments sometimes, everyone does. Plus I hate cheats extra special.

Ah the old 'Mitch Clark homesick scenario'.... honestly can you at least give me 5 players since this scenario  who have requested to be traded back home only to backflip for monehlike Mitch did.. 

2 hours ago, robbiefrom13 said:

I disagree.  It's a restraint-of-trade thing, I think: the AFL dictates to teenagers who they are allowed to work for - they are like slaves being sold on the block.  

If a boy was "chosen" by Essendon - or GWS for that matter, or anyone who for whatever reason they didn't want to work for - we call him names for not wanting to go there, or stay when the concerned club refuses to trade him.  Have in mind we are talking about someone of outstanding skill - absolute elite in his field; and he has no say over where he works.  Smacks of Stalinist Russia to me, and I will be interested to see one day a legal challenge to this system.

Surely you cannot be serious Robbie. Just a little OTT?

1 hour ago, McQueen said:

I'm all for GWS playing hard ball and not trading him but surely with all of the psych testing and other behavioural analysis that clubs do nowadays they should've seen it coming.

Look, for all we know his reasons for wanting back to WA could be very plausible. All we're hearing is homesickness but it could be well warranted.

Kids mature at different rates. AFL clubs need to somehow predict the future.

While I agree that psych testing should be able to figure out which players are most at risk of doing this sort of thing, I think that him signing a new two-year contract last season is a pretty clear indication that he wanted to be at GWS. Something must have happened for him to have had this change of heart so suddenly.

13 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

While I agree that psych testing should be able to figure out which players are most at risk of doing this sort of thing, I think that him signing a new two-year contract last season is a pretty clear indication that he wanted to be at GWS. Something must have happened for him to have had this change of heart so suddenly.

Maybe Scully vomited on him.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KingDingAling said:

GWS should just refuse to deal with Freo. I think McCarthy has been disrespectful, he didn't get his own way, then his manager decides to make the point (when he didn't have to), that McCarthy definitely wouldn't be at GWS in 2017. I just find the whole thing childish (on McCarthy's behalf). If he has depression, then sure, that is a legitimate reason to want to leave, but that doesn't excuse some of the behaviour during trade period. It isn't GWS fault McCarthy signed an extension and they wanted to hold him to it.

Problem with that stance is, who else will trade for him? A Melbourne club would be mad to that for instance.....

This borders on some sort of joke really.  Straight from sooki-lala-land

Can of worms stuff.  Play the straight bat Giants

1 hour ago, McQueen said:

How do you predict a problem when at the end of his first year he signs a 3 year extension ?

When he was seeking a trade to Freo it was one year into a 3 year contract.  He'd fulfilled 33.3% of said contract.

4 hours ago, stuie said:

Homesick Cam McCarthy granted indefinite leave by the Giants

"GREATER Western Sydney has granted key forward Cam McCarthy indefinite leave to allow him to return to Western Australia.

The 20-year-old is understood to have informed the Giants on Wednesday he was homesick and wanted time with family."

AFL needs to do something about this growing trend of young players holding their clubs to ransom. What is the point of free agency now?

I am certain that the AFL Integrity Officer will have a look at this....after all, he has lots of free time.  Has done bugger all over the past few years.

Would you want a 'fragile ' type playing on your forward line ?

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Ah the old 'Mitch Clark homesick scenario'.... honestly can you at least give me 5 players since this scenario  who have requested to be traded back home only to backflip for monehlike Mitch did.. 

I had totally forgotten about that con man.  Is he still at Geelong?  Not that I give a toss.

The AFL has got to stop these spoilt brats and their club of choice abusing the system. One way to do it is to force the clubs that eventually pick up these players in the PSD or whatever to pay hefty compensation to the spurned clubs. They may  think twice if it is too costly going via the back door. I am sure there is some manipulation from clubs to persude promising youngsters to break the rules.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Problem with that stance is, who else will trade for him? A Melbourne club would be mad to that for instance.....

Start discussions with West Coast in order to force Freo to offer up more (If Freo don't offer up more, send him to WC for unders).

I would be doing something like asking for West Coasts 1st and 2nd round pick. If they decline, ask Freo for their 1st and 2nd round pick. If they decline, go back to West Coast, as for their 1st round pick, and if they accept (which I think they would), I would then go back to Fremantle and tell them they will need to offer up their 1st and 2nd round pick, or McCarthy goes to WC.

GWS would be silly not use WC in order to force Freo's hand. That way they still get roughly what Fremantle offered last trade period. GWS can just put it down to backing themselves in to keep McCarthy, but unfortunately not being able to.

4 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

Start discussions with West Coast in order to force Freo to offer up more (If Freo don't offer up more, send him to WC for unders).

I would be doing something like asking for West Coasts 1st and 2nd round pick. If they decline, ask Freo for their 1st and 2nd round pick. If they decline, go back to West Coast, as for their 1st round pick, and if they accept (which I think they would), I would then go back to Fremantle and tell them they will need to offer up their 1st and 2nd round pick, or McCarthy goes to WC.

GWS would be silly not use WC in order to force Freo's hand. That way they still get roughly what Fremantle offered last trade period. GWS can just put it down to backing themselves in to keep McCarthy, but unfortunately not being able to.

Freo already offer their first round draft picks for the next two years. What more could they have done?

Edited by jnrmac

4 minutes ago, america de cali said:

The AFL has got to stop these spoilt brats and their club of choice abusing the system. One way to do it is to force the clubs that eventually pick up these players in the PSD or whatever to pay hefty compensation to the spurned clubs. They may  think twice if it is too costly going via the back door. I am sure there is some manipulation from clubs to persude promising youngsters to break the rules.

The AFL needs to introduce an offer-sheet system like there is in the NHL, whereby the club with which the player signs has to provide compensation in line with the salary that they agree to pay them.

For example, McCarthy signs with Fremantle for $500k/season, Fremantle has to give GWS it's first round pick for the next two years.

See here for a better explanation.

1 minute ago, Good Times Grimes said:

The AFL needs to introduce an offer-sheet system like there is in the NHL, whereby the club with which the player signs has to provide compensation in line with the salary that they agree to pay them.

For example, McCarthy signs with Fremantle for $500k/season, Fremantle has to give GWS it's first round pick for the next two years.

See here for a better explanation.

I agree, it's the mature and responsible way to fix trade week and free agency. But salaries have to be public to allow that and draftee deals have to be longer than they currently are. You can't have a first round pick leaving in under 4 years, probably not even under 5 if you want a franchise tag style situation.

So in that case it wouldn't really help young Cam who has decided that 2 years was the most he could give in Western Sydney, but it would help in some regards as the situation would be more transparent and if he really was homesick or depressed to the stage that he could no longer train at GWS I'm sure they would trade him for a fair deal.

The strange thing is being from WA he should've had a year off between school and being drafted and some time to reflect on the realities of being drafted and the realities of signing a contract extension. Unfortunately either he didn't or his manager gave him bad advice and made him sign a contract extension that he was never planning to fulfil.