Trade Radio Discussion

What

It's not just you daz. Looks like another recruitment period of bringing in fringe players on the edge of other team's best 22, while we hoard our best draft picks for the draft.

It's a slow process rebuilding a team like this.

• Like 1

Henderson has officially been traded to the Cats for the 2016 first round pick.

Cats have taken a huge gamble by trading away these picks. Interesting to see it it pays off.

just like buying on credit i reckon. If managed properly you use now pay later. Pick and choose well and you go up as the value of pick goes down.

Bit like playing the property market also...trends and timing. Hope we look at it.

Have we landed a decent player yet...or is it another year of picking up whatever is left on the ground after the Free Agents have decided where the next Flag will come from?

We're still trying to work out how to get Dangerfield from Adelaide.

• Like 4

We're still trying to work out how to get Dangerfield from Adelaide.

This whole trade week, month is a FARCE

18 clubs is too many....the gap between the top and the bottom is way too far now & the bridge connecting the 2 levels is breaking up...

• Like 3

I actually believe in the trade circus. If you can get your teeth around it as a club you can definitely refresh and upgrade your list.

I actually believe in the trade circus. If you can get your teeth around it as a club you can definitely refresh and upgrade your list.

So do i....But if decent players don't want to bite then we are but going around the eternal circle....

just like buying on credit i reckon. If managed properly you use now pay later. Pick and choose well and you go up as the value of pick goes down.

Bit like playing the property market also...trends and timing. Hope we look at it.

There is some irony in the trading of future year draft picks. Using the Henderson trade as an example, if Geelong performs better next year and improves its ladder position, the value to Carlton of next year's draft pick reduces. So, not only could Carlton supporters feel the pain of Henderson performing well at his new club, their own club would end up worse off. Of course, the pain can be the other way, too. If Henderson doesn't perform and Geelong goes backwards, Carlton become double beneficiaries.

There is some irony in the trading of future year draft picks. Using the Henderson trade as an example, if Geelong performs better next year and improves its ladder position, the value to Carlton of next year's draft pick reduces. So, not only could Carlton supporters feel the pain of Henderson performing well at his new club, their own club would end up worse off. Of course, the pain can be the other way, too. If Henderson doesn't perform and Geelong goes backwards, Carlton become double beneficiaries.

it a roll of the dice without doubt. Like anything. Depends how you use those 'next season"picks.

Draft can be a lottery...here you're just adding a cràp game to it :)

So do i....But if decent players don't want to bite then we are but going around the eternal circle....

if your currency is low you just have to pay. You just deal with it and make the best fist you can. Improvements by increments.

I think it would be now official Mitch Clark is a lost cause.

Has there ever been a player that has burnt so many clubs?

Don't know he burnt the cats, I think they would have gone in eyes fully open on what to expect. Health issues with the head and body, potential to be amazing but a massive gamble. At this point it is a failed gamble, lucky grump cat coach has a few points in the bank or they may not have been so keen to trade out next years first rounder for Henderson.

Cats have taken a huge gamble by trading away these picks. Interesting to see it it pays off.

There is no doubt that they will be competitive next season with the additions that they've made, but I don't think that they'll be good enough to win a flag and their youngsters aren't good enough to cover their old players when they retire. I suspect that they'll be competitive for another few years, but trading away their draft picks will hurt them in the long run.

Their fall will be spectacular; I can't wait for it to happen.

• Like 3

defiantly think we should target another key forward in the trade period

Defiantly think we ought to target another English teacher for demonland !!!!!!

if your currency is low you just have to pay. You just deal with it and make the best fist you can. Improvements by increments.

That only works if you are allowed to play the game....Watching from the Gallery won't cut it

Yes to improve by increments is all fine and noble...meanwhile the Top End has done a full Renovation and is still wanting to expand...

We needed that Big Fish to get the Ball Rolling.....But Geelong ate the whole cake...

Edited by Sir Why You Little

How To Mortgage A Club's Future by Stephen Wells.

• Like 1

There's a school of thought that suggests there's still a fish or two out there.

How To Mortgage A Club's Future by Stephen Wells.

I think the clubs that work out how to trade futures ( first ) will definitely reap benefits. Its a method i think we need to use to bump up our currency. Other clubs might think our next season picks quite valuable. Id let them think that ;)

There is no doubt that they will be competitive next season with the additions that they've made, but I don't think that they'll be good enough to win a flag and their youngsters aren't good enough to cover their old players when they retire. I suspect that they'll be competitive for another few years, but trading away their draft picks will hurt them in the long run.

Write Geelong off at your own peril. Time and again they've proven their ability to overcome what, at first would appear, to be an ageing list and some deficiencies. I think they have done remarkably well, in such a short period that this 'circus' has been underway. Dangerfield, Selwood and even Henderson can only add class, depth and experience to their list. The other thing that the Cats have been good at is development from within. They may well turn up players as future stars, which are currently on their list, which we haven't heard of.

I, for one, am somewhat envious. Let's hope we still have something up our red and blue sleeve before this vaudeville show leaves town.

• Like 3

Sorry, your arguments are ridiculous. For starters you're underrating their list. They have a solid core of players in the 23-27 range, and a good core of emerging young players with x factor.

You're also assuming that the draft picks will be better players than the players they've picked up, including an elite player in Dangerfield. If you can finish top 4 regularly, you put yourself in the hunt for a flag. I'd back Stephen Well knowledge ahead of yours.

• Like 3