Post Match Discussion - Round 23

Nasher

Any thoughts on Dunns return to forward line.

Is it a once of or a permanent change of direction?

I think Dunn is a better foil/decoy than Dawes up forward Chook until we can find alternatives.

Can kick the ball a mile and take a good contested mark. 2 very required traits when playing a high half forward role. Especially when trying to hit Hogan one out as often as possible from outside 50. Some players can play the role ok but dont have the boot to get it to the top of the goal square quickly from well outside 50.

Has a huge tank as well and rarely loses his feet now. Strong over the contest. Bit of a plodder and not sure he knows where to lead/patterns etc as well as Dawes might (in a decoy high HF role anyway). No reason why he couodnt learn and improve on this aspect though. Can also find the goals on occasions, even from 55 or so, which is handy. Having this asset ensures his opponent will respect him on the lead and not drop off early trying to fill the hole behind. In theory this allows Hogan/Jeffy more space to run into on the lead.

• Like 2

Watching Billy Stretch jeez he impresses me. I can see him playing all 22 games next year his hard running and pace is something we have really lacked over the years.

What surprises me the most is that for such a slight player he goes in really hard and doesn't shirk a contest.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 12

Watching the replay on FOX with a huge smile.

Salem is n absolute beast. Him Viney and Brayshaw hurting blokes is gonna make me cry.

DD when/if we have blokes who start doing this to the Hawks/Freeo/Swans etc then I will probably join you

• Like 1

Depends on the Trade Chook. We need leaders.

A win in a dead rubber doesn't change the situation we watched in the previous month.

Can Jonesy lead us up the ladder when he hasn't been there himself?

I seem to recall the last time we moved on a respected Captain of the club before his time it apparently didn't go down so well amongst the playing group and the whole club SWYL.

Not sure it would be a wise move to repeat that episode

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Average age of team today 23y 175d

Missing from a 'best' team are possibly:

Watts

Lumumba

Dawes

Pederson

Tyson

Vandenberg

Frost

Kent

Jetta

Plus

Trengove

Petracca

Interesting there wasn't much tagging today so Jones, Vince and Viney played with a fair amount of freedom. The attack when they moved the ball quickly certainly seemed better.

Umpires are still a disgrace at this level.

Where do we see the Prince next year?

Is he best 22?

Is he best playing wing or half back?

Are both Howe and Garland gone?

Was disappointing this year.

What a great Father's Day.

Mother in law ended up coming over and taking the kids to the park.

A very pleasurable 1/2 dozen Pale Ales consumed,

The missus sorted me out at half time, and;

The Dee's won at Etihad.

Post of the day.

Champion missus gets a gold medal.

• Like 2

White was good, love his skill set. Hope he becomes a regular in 2015. 3 rookie upgrades would be a first

Only three? King is starting to play well enough to be considered also! Vanders and Harmes are both locks, White and King will both be ready after another pre-season!

Where do we see the Prince next year?

Is he best 22?

Is he best playing wing or half back?

Are both Howe and Garland gone?

Was disappointing this year.

For mine

Prince not best 22

Garland has re-signed

Howe is most likely gone

Dawes not best 22

Aside from Jones, Cross, Vince its the young guys have led the way this year. That makes me sad but gives me hope.

If Tommy Mac can get his disposal right he will be the number 1 backman in the league.

• Like 1

Watching the replay on FOX with a huge smile.

Salem is n absolute beast. Him Viney and Brayshaw hurting blokes is gonna make me cry.

I'm watching the replay as well. In the flesh I felt like White's kicking was decent, but not great. I haven't seen him miss a target yet.

It just gives the whole team a positive springboard for the off-season. Would've hated to end on a loss.

Funny to read all the Saints fans wetting themselves about possibly getting Parish now. Yeah, until your list management decide to skip the best midfielder for extenuating circumstances again.

It'll make us a more attractive destination too. We said 7 wins at the top of this season. We did it. We said finals for next year. Not saying we'll get there, but we're not far off at least pushing it. A year or two and we will be playing finals. We've got the premier young KPF in the league and a couple of beauties in Brayshaw and Salem. Hoping Petracca can deliver on his promise too.

I think Dunn can play a variety of roles next year if all goes well. If Frost and Oscar step up he can play off a half back flank instead of full back, he can swing forward when required as that is where he started and importantly as a member of the leadership team he should be able to go into the middle as a big body clearance player when we are getting smashed early if required.

Great point this. Dunn and Salem off half back. That'd be nice.

Today's side had Viney, Gawn, Salem, Michie, Harmes, White, OMac, Newton, Stretch, Hogan, Brayshaw, JKH and ANB.

Most experienced of these players is Viney with 49 games.

Tyson, Kent, Frost, VDB, Toumpas and Petracca also on the list, none with more than 50 games experience.

(Minus Toumpas) The list of players you mention will take us to finals, especially with a fit Jack Trengove!

• Like 1