Sam Blease Retires

Barry Prendergast joined Carlton in early 2012.

In 2011 Carlton finished fifth and were clearly building momentum.

Since 2012 Carlton have not finished in the top eight (excluding replacing Essendon in 2013) and look like more of a basket case than Melbourne.

He is not a recruiter for Carlton in fairness...

I think on this forum the word 'Prendergast' should be used in a similar manner as 'Kennet' was used around the time of his premiership. Eg. "I've had a Prendergast of a day, nothing's gone right..."

worst recruiter in history of game

• Like 2

I think on this forum the word 'Prendergast' should be used in a similar manner as 'Kennet' was used around the time of his premiership. Eg. "I've had a Prendergast of a day, nothing's gone right..."

FMD. The poor bugger had Kirner's mess to deal with.

Look, I'll give you the rundown on Sam Blease

He was a Melbourne player when still at School!

The riot act was read re Do's and Don'ts and it was spelt out to all recruits that you do not under any circumstances play or indulge in any "Unofficial" footy activities and put yourself at risk!

Sam indulged in having a kick at school mucking around, totally stuffed his ankle and was never the same again!

Also, never ever had a tank or worked hard enough to achieve one

End of Story!

Jeez thanks for that breaking story captain obvious. None of us on here would have known how he broke his leg..

Sam was on SEN this morning making his standard implications that it was or club's fault he didn't play well enough. Didn't hear him say "I simply want up to it and that's why I struggled to get a game"

Rubbish and selective hearing. He praised Geelong's senior blokes, culture, and the way they trust each other, all things we have bagged our own team about here.

• Like 2

He was saying it's hard to get any continuity or cohesion when you are changing coaches, CEO's, constantly turning over the list and bringing in new fresh young players in and removing out the senior bloke..Said he had no one to learn off but at Geelong there was a wealth of leaders and veterans...

I'm not sure about you Moonshadow, but to me that sounds like it was right on the money. Selective hearing at it's finest.

• Like 2

I'm not sure there was anything wrong with what Blease said this morning.

He said a great club like Geelong has made him a better person. Tick.

Said the MFC was too unstable to get the best out of players and got rid of veterans like McDonald too early. Tick.

Says he has a lot of mates at Melbourne and hopes the club goes well in the future. Tick.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 3

It was an honest and classy appraisal I thought. What he said is something that has been evident for a while. 2008-2013, particularly the 2011-2013 period, set us back massively.

• Like 1

Sam was given a consistent message by his coaches, to improve his defensive side of his game. He didn't and it is why he is no longer an AFL player

No it's not. He's no longer an AFL player due to huge implications of a concussion injury that has resulted in him still having migraines and vomiting 8 weeks after it happened.

At least show a little bit of respect and compassion for a guy who just had to quit what he loves doing forever.

• Like 1

No it's not. He's no longer an AFL player due to huge implications of a concussion injury that has resulted in him still having migraines and vomiting 8 weeks after it happened.

At least show a little bit of respect and compassion for a guy who just had to quit what he loves doing forever.

Didn't know about the concussion, sad to hear.

I really liked Sam and desperately wanted him to succeed, but otherwise what I said remains true.

Didn't know about the concussion, sad to hear.

I really liked Sam and desperately wanted him to succeed, but otherwise what I said remains true.

It's actually really sad. He's never had concussion issues before, cops one really bad one and has now been told he can't ever play contact sport again.

• Like 1

It's actually really sad. He's never had concussion issues before, cops one really bad one and has now been told he can't ever play contact sport again.

Pretty certain he got concussed playing for Casey, remember asking Neeld about him and he told me about it.mwas about a week before Neeld got the chop

Yeah he's had a couple before, but never a bad one.

So he had concussion issues before GFC or he hadn't? It's relevant because if he had concussion issues at MFC there might be some initial liability with us.

So he had concussion issues before GFC or he hadn't? It's relevant because if he had concussion issues at MFC there might be some initial liability with us.

There's a difference between having had a couple of minor concussions with no ill effects and having concussion issues. From what I've heard/read the issues and subsequent retirement are the result of the one incident.