Brisbane Lions Consider Asking for Priority Picks

Will we say anything though or will we just cop it on the chin because we are the AFL's adopted red head son that they like to laud over and butt their cigarettes on

I would love to see us say nothing and then shove it right up em when we march to the top. Would be very satisfying.

I fail to understand any legitimacy to any Lion priority pick.

If we couldnt get one NO ONE now has a better argument for one

Yes..the AFL make it all up on the fly....but they should be called out as cheats if this washes

BB it has to be done according to the secret PP formula or the Commissioners would arc up surely?

Although that said I always assumed the formula was reasonably simple, with standard variables like win/loss ratio and points for/against percentage over x (think of a number) seasons but perhaps there a couple of constants in the equation as well such as geographic location and maybe even jumper colour?

There's no magic formula to determine whether a club warrants a priority pick. There are what the AFL deem "exceptional circumstances". If the AFL can frame Brisbane's situation at exceptional, the Lions will get a PP. Since "exceptional" is wide open to interpretation, back it in that the AFL will be able to prosecute their case.

There has also been enough recent static in the media to suggest that the AFL has been surreptitiously paving the way for granting a Lions pick.

There's no magic formula to determine whether a club warrants a priority pick. There are what the AFL deem "exceptional circumstances". If the AFL can frame Brisbane's situation at exceptional, the Lions will get a PP. Since "exceptional" is wide open to interpretation, back it in that the AFL will be able to prosecute their case.

There has also been enough recent static in the media to suggest that the AFL has been surreptitiously paving the way for granting a Lions pick.

When we were denied our PP, they hinted strongly that "exceptional circumstances" would be something like the death of a player or something similarly horrendous.

I suppose locating an AFL team in Queensland qualifies.

• Like 2

In light of what happened in the final round, and the fact that Carlton will probably get # 2 as compensation for Kreuzer, I'd be fine if they got it. If the free agent compo wasn't in place, then I wouldn't support it.

# 1 Brisbane

# 2 Carlton

That wouldn't hurt Carlton at all as my mail us they want Weitering and Francis.

Lions want Scache or however you spell his name.

If Brisbane or Carlton get a priority pick, I would be going to the AFL demanding a retrospective one.

It is beyond a joke that the worse performing club of the last decade didn't get one, but goddamn Brisbane who managed to snaffle Dayne Beams last year, are going to get one.

This competition is a farce!

• Like 4

I would love to see us say nothing and then shove it right up em when we march to the top. Would be very satisfying.

Nah, I reserve the right to throw my toys out of the cot and scream in the dairy section of Woolies, thank you very much!

• Like 1

BB it has to be done according to the secret PP formula or the Commissioners would arc up surely?

Although that said I always assumed the formula was reasonably simple, with standard variables like win/loss ratio and points for/against percentage over x (think of a number) seasons but perhaps there a couple of constants in the equation as well such as geographic location and maybe even jumper colour?

you mean the secret protocols of the elders of zion, earl?

was all a hoax, ,just like the afl commission

• Like 1

The answer is simple.

If Brisbane and/or Carlton apply for special assistance on the basis of their current predicament, we apply on the basis of our history over the past 9 seasons.

Then we see what happens.

In any event, if the others apply and we don't then it would be commercially irresponsible not to do so in the circumstances.

• Like 1

And nobody will be surprised. The AFL created this mess, and the more they bend the rules the harder they make it for themselves to get out of it. The whole thing needs an overhaul.

And the most pathetic thing? In 10 years after GWS have won their premierships and fall into a heap, they will once again require AFL assistance to remain viable. The entire thing is an exercise in futility.

maybe, just maybe the bottom sides, based on aggregate over 2 seasons, should qualify for extended salary cap & list numbers.

And then the salary cap should lessen on a sliding scale, all the way to the top clubs, also based on a past 2 season aggregate.

couple that with the academies for all clubs, from they're own zones, & they're ability to select 2 academy - father/son players per season, pre-draft, this should IMO help to level out things.

IMO the lower clubs should also receive more in AFL compensation for developmental costs, also reducing on a sliding scale as the club rises the ladder.

The answer is simple.

If Brisbane and/or Carlton apply for special assistance on the basis of their current predicament, we apply on the basis of our history over the past 9 seasons.

Then we see what happens.

In any event, if the others apply and we don't then it would be commercially irresponsible not to do so in the circumstances.

Yep.

In PJ we trust.

maybe, just maybe the bottom sides, based on aggregate over 2 seasons, should qualify for extended salary cap & list numbers.

And then the salary cap should lessen on a sliding scale, all the way to the top clubs, also based on a past 2 season aggregate.

couple that with the academies for all clubs, from they're own zones, & they're ability to select 2 academy - father/son players per season, pre-draft, this should IMO help to level out things.

IMO the lower clubs should also receive more in AFL compensation for developmental costs, also reducing on a sliding scale as the club rises the ladder.

I am a big advocate for academies for all but I think two players a year is far too steep, I think 3 in every five years for free would do the job. If you want more than your three then it goes by the old rules in the draft.

When we were denied our PP, they hinted strongly that "exceptional circumstances" would be something like the death of a player or something similarly horrendous.

I suppose locating an AFL team in Queensland qualifies.

what about, if an involuntary exorcism was carried out on a club, leaving it impotent & dysfunctional amongst its peers. does that qualify for exceptional circum stances?

what about if other clubs were routinely cheating the system, & then via supporter contacts, the cheating club was handed topline players from a club up north, virtually giving the cheating club premierships on a cardboard platter.

... would that help qualify for "exceptional" ???

I am a big advocate for academies for all but I think two players a year is far too steep, I think 3 in every five years for free would do the job. If you want more than your three then it goes by the old rules in the draft.

2 per year from all your academy players is little, especially if the (2) includes father/sons in pre-draft selections. In other words after the (2), your other wanted academy players, would need to be be negotiated Via the draft bidding system.

they would be open to other clubs drafting them according to perceived competition value.

My idea with this is to help bring back a Tribal feel to Victorian clubs, lost when going national, but also helps the Interstate clubs keep they're states stars, in their home states, helping the games romance Re Hometown Hero's..

If somehow Brisbane do get a PP, then its unlikely that based on the AFL's secret formula they will get Band 1 compo as well for Leunberger. If they don't get a PP and get Band 1, it will be similar to our Band 1 compo for Frawley... a PP in disguise. I doubt Kreuzer will leave the Blues now, so they don't get any Band 1 compensation for another bloke (like Leuy) that never gets on the park.

2 per year from all your academy players is little, especially if the (2) includes father/sons in pre-draft selections. In other words after the (2), your other wanted academy players, would need to be be negotiated Via the draft bidding system.

they would be open to other clubs drafting them according to perceived competition value.

My idea with this is to help bring back a Tribal feel to Victorian clubs, lost when going national, but also helps the Interstate clubs keep they're states stars, in their home states, helping the games romance Re Hometown Hero's..

Certainly has merit. I take the opposing view I suppose in that I think all should have access to most of the talent therefore removing the luck of father sons or a good crop of youngsters from one area. Either way has merit and would be an improvement on the current system, although that's not hard.

I have no problems with them getting priority picks if they're purely to secure their Academy talent (after all, the new rules were designed to punish Sydney from getting another Heeney on the cheap). And frankly, it serves the competition best if they're taking local kids that live there and want to stay in Brisbane (where nobody gives a [censored] about AFL).

However, if they're just getting gifted priority picks to secure BOTH Academy AND general draft talent that other lowly clubs desperately need, it's not on.

Frankly, ignoring the elephant in the room will solve nothing. We have players walking out publicly stating they don't like the coach and, despite the denials, Rockliff's off-field demeanor is clearly disliked.

Edited by Lamashtu