2015 apparent out of contract players merged with targets at seasons end

MadAsHell

Not me chap, Roos gave Spencer a 2 year contract, and we still have Jamar and Gawn (who has stalled at the moment, but he can return to form), I just find some of the suggestions hilarious

King, by the way, if we can build him properly has the natural footy ability to be one of the best ruckman MFC has seen in years, big call I know, but reason he was given another year on rookie list

King will struggle to be a number 1 ruckman. He part-timed in the TAC Cup with the Bushrangers and actually showed more acumen as a forward in the TAC where he his ability to take the ball at ground level and his mobility gave him a point of difference and made him attractive as forward option who can ruck. He will get monstered playing first ruck at AFL level, though he has the ground game. He is a forward who can spend 5 minutes rucking, notwithstanding the addition of 15kg. I find your logic to actually be neanderthal and simplistic. King as a young skinny tall was always going to get two years on the rookie unless he completely stank the joint up. Spencer was given a contract because the club had to if it was to ensure it had an AFL ruck body on the list in 2016. Jamar is a huge retirement risk and Gawn has never been able to complete a season without his knees giving way. You seem to suggest that Roos has some real confidence in him which in all likelihood is not the case.

Edited by goodoil
  • Like 1

King will struggle to be a number 1 ruckman. He part-timed in the TAC Cup with the Bushrangers and actually showed more acumen as a forward in the TAC where he his ability to take the ball at ground level and his mobility gave him a point of difference and made him attractive as forward option who can ruck. He will get monstered playing first ruck at AFL level, though he has the ground game. He is a forward who can spend 5 minutes rucking, notwithstanding the addition of 15kg. I find your logic to actually be neanderthal and simplistic. King as a young skinny tall was always going to get two years on the rookie unless he completely stank the joint up. Spencer was given a contract because the club had to if it was to ensure it had an AFL ruck body on the list in 2016. Jamar is a huge retirement risk and Gawn has never been able to complete a season without his knees giving way. You seem to suggest that Roos has some real confidence in him which in all likelihood is not the case.

So Greg Stafford is wasting all the time on him then, he is actually playing forward because they think that will be more benefit till he gets another pre season into him, but he is learning the craft of rucking never the less, I asked

These days Rookies don't necessarily get the two years, Alex Georgiou anyone?

Gawn's knees don't give way, he has had a couple of injuries with the ligaments, like a lot of players

Roos does have confidence in him, Jamar wasn't out of form, but Roos and the match committee had no hesitation in bringing Spencer in, against Sydney of all teams, it's only the "experts" on here who don't

Simplistic enough for you (Neanderthal, the young gentleman who cut my hair last time, told me I had a beautifully shaped head)

• Like 2

So Greg Stafford is wasting all the time on him then, he is actually playing forward because they think that will be more benefit till he gets another pre season into him, but he is learning the craft of rucking never the less, I asked

Gawn's knees don't give way, he has had a couple of injuries with the ligaments, like a lot of players

Roos does have confidence in him, Jamar wasn't out of form, but Roos and the match committee had no hesitation in bringing Spencer in, against Sydney of all teams, it's only the "experts" on here who don't

Simplistic enough for you (Neanderthal, the young gentleman who cut my hair last time, told me I had a beautifully shaped head)

People you give money to are not always the most accurate judges TDI
  • Like 2

Whether you like it or not, we will be getting a ruckman for next year.

Jamar is shot and Spencer just doesn't cut it at the top level. We have no other options and Roos is doing the right thing by playing the blokes who are in better form at VFL level so please save the talk of Spencer currently being out number 1 ruckman as of last week. It's definitely not something to be excited about.

I agree with Bendigo demon's post in that turning over certain players, developing and blooding new talent the right way and trading and acquiring the right players does take time which is incredibly tough for supporters as it seems as if that has been the story at our club for a decade.

We'll be working with what we've got for the time, but next year you'd hope we'll have acquired one competent Ruckman who is able to run, perform the basic skills of the game well and is a smart footballer.

The interesting thing about Ruckmen is now that the grappling before the throw-in has been eliminated and centre circle ball-ups are being analysed to death by the umps, a modern day ruckman doesn't need to be a big and heavy beast of a bloke anymore.

Put Howe into the ruck and watch how many clearances we win. He would palm it to our advantage more times than Jamar, Spencer and Gawn combined.

too much money from the cap, going forward. better with Sloane & a couple of others with a touch of class & toughness.

let danger slip through to the cats or pies, eating their cap $$$.

we need to add a mature class runner & another experienced back flanker who can deliver.

anyone have any suggestions of who the back flankers are we should target, who pinpoint targets?

I really think that Dangerfield has peaked and there are better more afordable candidates available

I really think that Dangerfield has peaked and there are better more afordable candidates available

The beauty of Dangerfield is that he comes via free agency - which won't cost us a quality pick.

Hopefully we throw a stack at Danger, there is plenty on our list that could make way.

Dangerfield and a quality ruckman should be our priority.

• Like 1

I didn't suggest all rookies get two years, but when Melbourne drafted King and when most clubs draft 200cm forward/rucks in the rookie draft they do so knowing they take time to develop and hence why i said he was always going to be likely to benefit from at least a couple of years on the rookie list unless his performance was truly abject or he was non-compliant. Georgiou is a different case and not at all relevant to King's. And if Stafford wasn't putting time into a developing 200cm player, no matter who it is, you'd be worried. The fact that he plays so much time up forward in the VFL reserves would give me grave doubts about him being seen as a long-term first ruck, though it would be exciting if he can build his frame sufficient to play that role.

Every year Gawn has had either an ACL or a medial tear and he missed much of his final TAC Cup year with an ACL.. He has missed whole seasons (2012) and missed large chunks of pre-seasons. I think he is a decent player but from a list standpoint, he is a very unreliable conveyance and it would be very hard to go into a season confident he is going to bear the brunt of a full season's ruckload and with Jamar's retirement imminent, Spencer, whether they see him as a long-term first ruck or not, had to be signed as cover.

How do you know they had no hesitation bringing Spencer in? How do you know they didn't mull over the decision. Maybe they felt Jamar had lost every ruck matchup and was doing little around the ground so far this year and they gambled with Spencer vs Pyke who, though he is having a great season, isn't normally considered a top echelon ruckman.

• Like 2

The interesting thing about Ruckmen is now that the grappling before the throw-in has been eliminated and centre circle ball-ups are being analysed to death by the umps, a modern day ruckman doesn't need to be a big and heavy beast of a bloke anymore.

Put Howe into the ruck and watch how many clearances we win. He would palm it to our advantage more times than Jamar, Spencer and Gawn combined.

Unfortunately the grappling hasn't been eliminated, it's only been delayed.

There is still a lot of contact needed for the modern day ruck, he needs height, strength and mobility to play the role to its optimum.

Sorry but Howe wouldn't get his hand on the ball in a contest with someone like goldie, mummy or sandy...he's at best a good 3rd up option until the opposition work it out and keep him from having a good run at it.

It's Stafford's job. They could draft someone who was 4ft and want him to ruck, so it's Stafford's job to try and teach him the craft no matter what. He is on the list so he will be given the time. It's still going to be a miracle for him to make it.

And Gawn's knees have given way - they gave way before he was even drafted. There will always be that risk with him. I'd love to see it not happen again but reality suggests that it's a distinct possibility.

Plus not many complained when Spencer got selected - he had been in fine form for Casey and deserved a call up, and most would have agreed at the time. Many of us were disappointed with his output on Saturday night and rightly so. He'll need to improve upon that to keep his place in the future.

• Like 4

Come on guys... If King was hopeless, Stafford would be dying to confide in Saty.

It's clear he can be trusted; everyone at the club knows he doesn't put everything he's told on 'land, only 90% of it.

And Twitter is for the gun shows.

• Like 3

Still think Max deserves a game, maybe 2, one as no.1 ruck and one as ruck/forward to assess where he's at as was the case last season, he may not be knocking the door down in the VFL but with our ruck spot uncertain now it's probably worth it if Max is to be considered in future plans

Still got big hopes for Max. Reckon there's no rush just yet. But we need a number 1 ruckman so he can develop properly for a while.

• Like 2

When was the last time a team won a premiership without any genuine stars? I can tell you now, we won't be getting anywhere near it while Newton, Cross, and Lumumba are running through the midfield, so I respectfully disagree and say we need at least 2 gun peak-age midfielders added to our list before we even bother talking finals.

Why would Stretch be playing from round 1 if we didn't have those guys? We would have other players in their place, not just 3 less players.

We don't need to "fill the 22", we have the same number of players as anyone else, we need to "improve the 22".

I see your point and agree in a broad sense - we aren't going to be premiership contenders without at least a few players in the absolute top bracket.

But right now we can't get 22 AFL-quality players to a game on a regular basis.

Having a couple of stars gives passengers a place to hide, but having a full group of serious AFL players means that everyone on the list must either face your deficiencies or don't play AFL.

I see recruiting 'big names' as including the danger of becoming overrated flat-track bullies. The kind of team that gets to finals and is found out embarrassingly. The kind that keeps having short runs of good form and looking like they've turned a corner, but then slumps again.

Let's just say I wouldn't cry if Pendlebury joined us, but I'd rather have the double of David Swallow and Bradley Hill for about the same price.

In fact, come to think of it, David Swallow and Bradley Hill would be a sensational couple of pickups for us.

One relentless contested ball winner, laying lots of tackles, winning lots of clearances and sending the ball forward over and over.

One fast, creative and very, very dangerous outside runner with superb disposal, in the top bracket for goal assists.

I see your point and agree in a broad sense - we aren't going to be premiership contenders without at least a few players in the absolute top bracket.

But right now we can't get 22 AFL-quality players to a game on a regular basis.

Having a couple of stars gives passengers a place to hide, but having a full group of serious AFL players means that everyone on the list must either face your deficiencies or don't play AFL.

I see recruiting 'big names' as including the danger of becoming overrated flat-track bullies. The kind of team that gets to finals and is found out embarrassingly. The kind that keeps having short runs of good form and looking like they've turned a corner, but then slumps again.

Let's just say I wouldn't cry if Pendlebury joined us, but I'd rather have the double of David Swallow and Bradley Hill for about the same price.

In fact, come to think of it, David Swallow and Bradley Hill would be a sensational couple of pickups for us.

One relentless contested ball winner, laying lots of tackles, winning lots of clearances and sending the ball forward over and over.

One fast, creative and very, very dangerous outside runner with superb disposal, in the top bracket for goal assists.

I think you're assuming that getting some A graders in means everyone else will slack off. I think the opposite, those sort of players more often make those around them better. Imagine how much better Jones, Viney, and Tyson would be with 1 or 2 A graders there to feed the ball to, or win the ball for them, as well as taking the best defenders. Imagine how much better Hogan, Garlett, Watts, and Dawes would be with quality inside 50 entries from those mids?

• Like 1

Come on guys... If King was hopeless, Stafford would be dying to confide in Saty.

It's clear he can be trusted; everyone at the club knows he doesn't put everything he's told on 'land, only 90% of it.

And Twitter is for the gun shows.

King is the very least of our worries, he is just a prospect atm.

Our bigger concerns are who is going to compete with the likes of Mumford, Martin and Goldstein next year?

In the short term I can't see any candidates, Jamar is undersized as a ruckman - and getting on.. And Gawn is unproven and yet to show he is up to standard.

MFC need a ruckman that is not only up to AFL standard, but able to compete with ruckman who are of high quality (Mumford, Goldstein).

At present, our mids are handicapped. In the AFL atm we are seeing sides benefit greatly by having quality ruckman.

;)

haircut.jpg

can't resist a good hair day :cool:

:roos:

The problem with Spencer is he's no bloody good

The problem with Gawn is he's no good

The problem with Jamar is he's too short

The problem with King is he's too young

The club must recruit a ruckman

• Like 1

I didn't suggest all rookies get two years, but when Melbourne drafted King and when most clubs draft 200cm forward/rucks in the rookie draft they do so knowing they take time to develop and hence why i said he was always going to be likely to benefit from at least a couple of years on the rookie list unless his performance was truly abject or he was non-compliant. Georgiou is a different case and not at all relevant to King's. And if Stafford wasn't putting time into a developing 200cm player, no matter who it is, you'd be worried. The fact that he plays so much time up forward in the VFL reserves would give me grave doubts about him being seen as a long-term first ruck, though it would be exciting if he can build his frame sufficient to play that role.

Every year Gawn has had either an ACL or a medial tear and he missed much of his final TAC Cup year with an ACL.. He has missed whole seasons (2012) and missed large chunks of pre-seasons. I think he is a decent player but from a list standpoint, he is a very unreliable conveyance and it would be very hard to go into a season confident he is going to bear the brunt of a full season's ruckload and with Jamar's retirement imminent, Spencer, whether they see him as a long-term first ruck or not, had to be signed as cover.

How do you know they had no hesitation bringing Spencer in? How do you know they didn't mull over the decision. Maybe they felt Jamar had lost every ruck matchup and was doing little around the ground so far this year and they gambled with Spencer vs Pyke who, though he is having a great season, isn't normally considered a top echelon ruckman.

Coz I speak to people, don't necessarily put it all on here, because frankly some posters don't deserve it

For your info both Hames and King were given one year rookie contracts

Of course Georgiou is a different case, he doesn't fit into your argument

Would be hesitant because of the drug stuff but Jake Carlisle is a quality player and out of contract at the end of the year

• Like 1

A quality ruckman who could win tap to advantage would be amazing!! Imagine playing proactively, like sandilands to fyfe.. Imagine the tactics you could use if you were confident your ruckman would win the hit out and not only win, hit it to an area you wouldnt have to break stride to get the ball??? E..g. sandi hit one about 10 m away to fyfe at a centre cilce stoppage who ran onto it nicely a week ago (thats what i want). Think Gawn to vince and goal last year.. that on a regular basis (Spencer, cant do that, Jamar might be able to, but Gawn is the only one who actually has done it).