MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 9

Demonland

I was hoping ryder was playing - as i think that really stifles their run and was the perfect match up for Fitzy - stewart is a utility (191cm), Clurey is a key backman who plays tall/small (193cm 2nd game) & Broadbent is another experienced defender (189cm). Very interesting ins...

If we are going to win, we will win above 20 points i reckon. P.s. On another note even Barrett is suggesting Dawes may be in trouble!! http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-29/sliding-doors-round-nine

I was hoping ryder was playing - as i think that really stifles their run and was the perfect match up for Fitzy - stewart is a utility (191cm), Clurey is a key backman who plays tall/small (193cm 2nd game) & Broadbent is another experienced defender (189cm). Very interesting ins...

If we are going to win, we will win above 20 points i reckon. P.s. On another note even Barrett is suggesting Dawes may be in trouble!! http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-29/sliding-doors-round-nine

lol check out his blurb for Carlton

Says Swans might win by over 200....

I'm quietly confident about this match as i was reading Port have really dropped off this year (from last year) in terms of winning the contested ball and tackle numbers. I suspect they will come out breathing fire and really focused on improving in that area. But funnily enough that might actually work in our favour as we have been good in both of those areas and with Viney and Jetta back in will match their intensity. It is also a must win game for them which brings its own challenges

Also, as i've noted before i reckon we have set for this run of 3 games (last week and the next two) and have been freshened up to maximse the chance of winning.

Barrett thinks the Cats could win the flag if "everything goes right"? Everything going right would have to include a time machine that takes them back to 2011. They aren't beating any of Freo, Hawthorn or Sydney in September. They aren't even coming close. I reckon the Eagles will roll them this week.

The stage is set for a Melbourne win, which makes me nervous. We've come close on the last two meetings and Port are further down on form and confidence this time around.

I am loving the look of our defence now that Howe has gone to his natural position. It stacks up against most of not all other teams in the league.

• Like 2

lol check out his blurb for Carlton

Says Swans might win by over 200....

I am pixxed off that my footing tipping competition only allows me a winning margin of 100 points! Grrr!

Its also stupid. I reckon there have been one or two selection blunders this year - Mackenzie coming in and not being used to balnket Fyfe being one example but last week Roos got it spot on. People scratched their head at Fitzy, Bail and Jones coming in. But all 3 decisions turned out perfectly because all 3 played their assigned role perfectly.

Which is why all 3 have been selected this week (and perhaps why Michie has been dropped when seemingly playing ok ie not playing his assigned role). Despite Roos saying it for nearly 2 years and every player repeating like a mantra in interviews some posters do not seem to get that the key expectation is that every player does their assigned role.

Criticizing the selection of Bail and Jones (who both by the way do the other key expectation of Roos - hard gut running both ways) is essentially saying Roos is an idiot who doesn't really know what he is doing. Such criticism also suggests some people 'watch' games of football but don't realty understand what is going on.

Who does this Roos guy think he is. By the way he carries on you'd think he's played 350+ games, in the top 50 players of all time and coached a side to its first premiership.

• Like 4

Who does this Roos guy think he is. By the way he carries on you'd think he's played 350+ games, in the top 50 players of all time and coached a side to its first premiership.

"PAUL Roos will reach a significant milestone this round, when he participates in his 589th official VFL/AFL match as a player and coach – drawing him equal 10th in the game’s history, along with the late, great Tom Hafey."

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-05-27/roos-set-to-equal-hafey-in-milestone

Also needs to be noted that Bail and Jones played forward week while the two ins will pay mid and back respectively. Dropping them would require a major reshuffle. Viney for Riley is like for like.

Nup cant have it!! Assuming Jones is the sub then ideally you would probably sub out Viney who after weeks out is bound to run outa gas given fitness and humidity issues

Following a horses for courses approach means you want grunt to come on in the late 3rd or last quarter to keep the midfield unit strong. Matt Jones aint the man AIDEN RILEY is!! Bad error if so!

Nup cant have it!! Assuming Jones is the sub then ideally you would probably sub out Viney who after weeks out is bound to run outa gas given fitness and humidity issues

Following a horses for courses approach means you want grunt to come on in the late 3rd or last quarter to keep the midfield unit strong. Matt Jones aint the man AIDEN RILEY is!! Bad error if so!

Alice Springs is not a particularly humid place (unless there have been any heavy rains lately?) and as TDI had stated, both Viney and Jetta have been doing a lot of work at training, so I doubt they will run out of puff as quickly as you might think. You really need to get over your obsession with "grunt factor"... Toumpas is going to surprise you tomorrow.

Alice Springs is not a particularly humid place (unless there have been any heavy rains lately?) and as TDI had stated, both Viney and Jetta have been doing a lot of work at training, so I doubt they will run out of puff as quickly as you might think. You really need to get over your obsession with "grunt factor"... Toumpas is going to surprise you tomorrow.

Can he surprise me too hardtack?

Dees by 7 points

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord. We have a convert. OD is a born again Demon.

There's no going back from here OD. I expect to see this sort of confidence from now on. Mind you I think you're still taking a conservative stance. 7 points? Take a stand OD, put up your hand and shout to the world - Dees by 47 points!

Hogan 5, Garlett 4, Watts, Pedersen, Howe 2 each, and an avalanche of singles from a rejuvenated, riotous, rampaging, midfleld will do the job.

• Like 1

Can he surprise me too hardtack?

I hereby grant you permission to be surprised OD... he produced 2 goals last week for which he will be getting a 50% return with a haul of 3 this week. He shall henceforth be known as... "the alchemist"!

Why would you assume Jones sub?

I'd be more inclined to make the guy return from a month off with a broken leg the sub.

• Like 1

I'd be more inclined to make the guy return from a month off with a broken leg the sub.

Viney was in our best three players prior to injury, if fit straight in.

Even more ludicrous!! You want Bail and Matt Jones as part of a midfield?? Viney Sub?? Doesn't make sense then to drop Riley and Newton!!

Oh I get it,, Hardtack says I'm gonna be surprised by Toumpas!? Maybe we start with Mr.Grunt personified in the midfield?

Only if you have been rescued from the bottom of the Yarra ... :blink:

Shh I don't want to have to front the constabulary R and B

Edited by old dee

Even more ludicrous!! You want Bail and Matt Jones as part of a midfield?? Viney Sub?? Doesn't make sense then to drop Riley and Newton!!

Oh I get it,, Hardtack says I'm gonna be surprised by Toumpas!? Maybe we start with Mr.Grunt personified in the midfield?

Actually PF, not at all why I said that... you will be surprised that there is more to providing value than simply providing grunt. In my earlier posts I had actually suggested that Riley should start on the ground and Viney be the sub so that Riley could go in hard an rattle them in the first half and Viney (who would be champing at the bit to get going) could continue the "assault" in the second half... Toumpas is going to surprise with what he bring from a non-grunt perspective... smooth skills and goals (assets that neither Viney and Riley have in spades - not a knock on them by the way).

• Like 1

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord. We have a convert. OD is a born again Demon.

There's no going back from here OD. I expect to see this sort of confidence from now on. Mind you I think you're still taking a conservative stance. 7 points? Take a stand OD, put up your hand and shout to the world - Dees by 47 points!

Hogan 5, Garlett 4, Watts, Pedersen, Howe 2 each, and an avalanche of singles from a rejuvenated, riotous, rampaging, midfleld will do the job.

Still not convinced She meant the Dees by 47 Reverend

Not what i said either.

I don't want Jones and bail in the midfield. And they didn't play there last week anyway.

It is easier to sub someone into the game than out. Injuries happen. If Viney isn't ready for 120 minutes then he starts as sub, you can't plan for him to come off. Too many variables.

Last week we had an inside mid as the sub thus it aligns and won't upset team balance at all.

PF, your last post doesn't make much sense.

M.Jones and Bail are there to prevent port's run out of the back line, thats where they set up their play, Bail and Jones will sacrifice their own games for the team, like they did against the Dog's, let's back them in again for the same performance and pressure they did last week. Their not world beaters but their best we have at the moment!

... and yet again, better to sacrifice their games for the team than Viney's & Vince's games.

I think you'll find brayshaw may well be sub as he is so young and never experienced conditions like Alice springs before.