• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Rising Star Thread - Congratulations Jesse Hogan!

Nascent

So just watched the short highlights package on the club website, something that really strikes me about him is that he is always quick to acknowledge when one of his teammates has worked hard to provide him with the opportunities for goals. Maybe I'm reading a lot into it but to me it shows a camaraderie with him and his teammates, hopefully this idea that the young core of this club are truly in it together.

Conversely, he's very demonstrative when players don't kick the ball to him properly in a manner which may alienate some players. He needs to stop doing so or else feel the wrath returned.

NSFW

Breakdown of goals:-

(Received from)

Jones - 7 (7 kicks)

Garlett - 6 (5 kicks, 1x HB)

Vince - 4 (4 kicks)

Michie - 2 (2 kicks)

Brayshaw - 2 (2 kicks)

Dawes - 2 (2 kicks)

M.Jones - 1 (1 kick)

Dunn - 1 (1 kick)

Vandenberg - 1 (1 kick)

Kennedy-Harris - 1 (1 kick)

McDonald - 1 (1 kick)

Howe - 1 (1 kick)

Harmes - 1 (1 kick)

Grimes - 1 (1 x HB)

Watts - 1 (1 x HB)

Free-kicks - 4 (2 x Frem, 2 x Nth)

Hogan - 8 (self initiative/in-play)

Total 44 goals

• Like 9

(Received from)

Jones - 7 (7 kicks)

Vince - 4 (4 kicks)

Michie - 2 (2 kicks)

Brayshaw - 2 (2 kicks)

Dawes - 2 (2 kicks)

M.Jones - 1 (1 kick)

Dunn - 1 (1 kick)

Vandenberg - 1 (1 kick)

McDonald - 1 (1 kick)

Howe - 1 (1 kick)

Harmes - 1 (1 kick)

Grimes - 1 (1 x HB)

Watts - 1 (1 x HB)

Total 44 goals

Nice work. From that I take:

• Jones is delivering the ball to our forwards a disproportionately large amount of time compared to the other mids.
  • Garlett had a sensational year, and adds far more to our forward line than just kicking goals
  • Hogan also gets stuff all free kicks
  • He is as big a threat in play/in contest as he is in the air

• Jones is delivering the ball to our forwards a disproportionately large amount of time compared to the other mids.
  • Garlett had a sensational year, and adds far more to our forward line than just kicking goals
Chatting to his Dad on Sunday, we talked about the lack of free kicks, appropriately just after he'd been double teamed and molested without any ump acknowledgement. It frustrates Jesse obviously, but just makes him more committed to get more ball to compensate for it. He knows he can't count on umpires. I suggested he would find more protection as his profile grew, and learn to draw free kicks through cunning, which is a problem at the moment because he just tries to bullock through when he's infringed against, rather than making them seem a bit more obvious.

I suggested he would find more protection as his profile grew, and learn to draw free kicks through cunning, which is a problem at the moment because he just tries to bullock through when he's infringed against, rather than making them seem a bit more obvious.

Not sure i agree Webber. If he was going to get frees i reckon it it would be more likely early in his career. It says something about his ability and how quickly he has established himself as a gun forward that umpires are not more inclined to pay more of the borderline frees (let alone the obvious ones he's not getting). Perhaps you're right about getting better at drawing frees but there is fine line between that and getting a reputations as a stager which always seems to hurt forwards.

It is amazing hat this early in his career teams are already double teaming him and using dubious blocking tactics. The great thing about that is if Watts is up and about all season (and or a Frost or other tall marking forward - though not Dawes) and Petracca is as damaging on the half forward as i expect him to be then suddenly opposition teams have an issue covering everyone.

That free kick count is absolutely disgusting. If you compared that number to Buddy, Cloke or Riewoldt you'd be in for a shock.

Fortunately, the exposure from the Rising Star award will drive him into Selwood/Hodge/Riewoldt-esque umpire protection from next year onward. The AFL would have to see Hogan as a huge marketing opportunity and the typification of players they want to see more of; superstar key forwards that remind fans of the AFL's "glory days" of Dunstall/Lockett/Carey; those players always get looked after.

Spot on - and a point Gerard Healy makes after this fith (?) in the saints game. Makes Leigh Matthews comments about him being someone who is not great on the ground strange, particularity given i heard him comment about this twice - once at the beginning of the season and again closer to the end.

I cannot believe the amount of free-kicks Jesse missed out on this year. I put it down to some umpires seeing how powerful and strong he is overhead in packs and body on body. And they let it go. He's not one to get pushed off so easily or thrown around like a rag doll (as with some young KPF's), so they let them go. This footage is only about the goals. So clearly there is the set shots after marks that he missed and all the instances of contested situations where others have come in (ie. opposition or friendly fire (Gawn)) .

Your point on Garlett I agree totally. He has been a massive pick up for us. 40 goals, plus the speed and spread he provides to put pressure on opposition. The amount of assists he can provide - I mean these are just a snap of Jesse's goals. Doesn't include all other players or Jesse's misses!

• Like 1

I was surprised Roos never came out and had a whinge about Hogan's lack of free kicks like Buckley did for Cloke.

It was disgraceful, I'm surprised to see he received any at all.

Could've and should've had at least another 10 shots at goal from frees.

Not sure i agree Webber. If he was going to get frees i reckon it it would be more likely early in his career. It says something about his ability and how quickly he has established himself as a gun forward that umpires are not more inclined to pay more of the borderline frees (let alone the obvious ones he's not getting). Perhaps you're right about getting better at drawing frees but there is fine line between that and getting a reputations as a stager which always seems to hurt forwards.

It is amazing hat this early in his career teams are already double teaming him and using dubious blocking tactics. The great thing about that is if Watts is up and about all season (and or a Frost or other tall marking forward - though not Dawes) and Petracca is as damaging on the half forward as i expect him to be then suddenly opposition teams have an issue covering everyone.

Except that he has been awarded significantly less free kicks than more senior forwards in the AFL. I'm a firm believer that success and experience draws umpire love, and that as we march up the ladder Jesse and the team will be beneficiaries.
  • Like 1

Except that he has been awarded significantly less free kicks than more senior forwards in the AFL. I'm a firm believer that success and experience draws umpire love, and that as we march up the ladder Jesse and the team will be beneficiaries.

The umpires are heavily influenced by things such as pressure, status, expectations, reputations, the list goes on. It's not right but they are only human.

I'm not convinced though that gun forwards such as Carey and Brown got more love from the umpires later in their career but I certainly hope you're right.

Richo tore Gibbs a new [censored] on 3AW today for his "joke" tweet during the week. He sounded absolutely rope-able that his decision to give Hogan the 5 votes were being questioned by such a [censored].

Wouldn't expect any Carlton Rising Star winners in the foreseeable future with such embarrassingly childish conduct.

• Like 1

Richo tore Gibbs a new [censored] on 3AW today for his "joke" tweet during the week. He sounded absolutely rope-able that his decision to give Hogan the 5 votes were being questioned by such a [censored].

Wouldn't expect any Carlton Rising Star winners in the foreseeable future with such embarrassingly childish conduct.

Gibbs will avoid being near Jesse when we play next year. I hope Hogan takes a mark over him, puts his knee into his ribs and breaks five of them.

We need local girl to latch on to him and sire a few kids. Then he won't be going anywhere and we'll have a few F/Ss hopefully.

I still say we send one of Biff's women his way.

AFL 360 from last night, with Jesse interviewed

I don't have Foxtel so don't see a lot of Robbo, and TBH I thought a lot of what's said around here about him being a drunk was just joking. But seriously, he was [censored] in that interview. Very, very poor, slurring words, brought up drinking several times. I couldn't believe it.

Hogan magnificent. "Build my own brand of footy". Love him.

• Like 1

(Received from)

Jones - 7 (7 kicks)

Vince - 4 (4 kicks)

Michie - 2 (2 kicks)

Brayshaw - 2 (2 kicks)

Dawes - 2 (2 kicks)

M.Jones - 1 (1 kick)

Dunn - 1 (1 kick)

Vandenberg - 1 (1 kick)

McDonald - 1 (1 kick)

Howe - 1 (1 kick)

Harmes - 1 (1 kick)

Grimes - 1 (1 x HB)

Watts - 1 (1 x HB)

Total 44 goals

Quite telling for Watts. We need him to be an outside runner and his deliver forward is almost non-existent.