Changes for Round 2

Nasher

Having browsed thru this thread I've seen many reasons for Dawes to come back. One reason I haven't seen is: that he can kick goals!

That is his primary job isn't it? Our team will be a lot better when he learns to use his body better, holds marks and kicks goals ie he does his job.

Very happy to see him back in but as I said in an earlier post there needs to be a role for him...he needs to add value to the team. If he comes in it will be interesting to see the role he plays. He also has a bit of competition for his spot, leader or not.

Exactly why he should come back through Casey

He tries hard but misses a lot of marks and gets in the way by being to enthusiastic at the ball We now have hogan to crash packs and take marks not sure what Dawes will bring in the current line up

Having browsed thru this thread I've seen many reasons for Dawes to come back. One reason I haven't seen is: that he can kick goals!

That is his primary job isn't it? Our team will be a lot better when he learns to use his body better, holds marks and kicks goals ie he does his job.

Very happy to see him back in but as I said in an earlier post there needs to be a role for him...he needs to add value to the team. If he comes in it will be interesting to see the role he plays. He also has a bit of competition for his spot, leader or not.

Dawes certain to come back. Frost can play back

• Like 2

Toumpas replaced by Vince.

That is it you have to let the group that played on Saturday back up this week.

Show confidence in the group that played well and won well.

Dawes at Casey will not kill him and he drops too many marks for mine.

Frost back to play on McCarthy

Tom Mac to play on Cameron

Dawes replaces Frost in the forward line

Vince to play in the middle

Toump and JKH replaced by Vince and Dawes

Dawes is much maligned on this forum, was third for contested marks for us in 2014, averaging over 4 marks a game in a team with minimal inside 50s and slow entry to the forward line. He'll benefit massively from Lamumba bursts and kicks to a leading Dawes.

He'll benefit from having Hogan, Watts and Frost also presenting plus the smalls and mids delivering ball rapidly.

If he drops them as often as claimed (which he does), he does so to a predictable spot (generally in front) which is ideal for our smalls, Garlett will be salivating about the return of Chris, as we all should be.

In: Vince and Dawes

Out: Toumpas and Van den Berg

• Like 1

Dawes is much maligned on this forum, was third for contested marks for us in 2014, averaging over 4 marks a game in a team with minimal inside 50s and slow entry to the forward line. He'll benefit massively from Lamumba bursts and kicks to a leading Dawes.

He'll benefit from having Hogan, Watts and Frost also presenting plus the smalls and mids delivering ball rapidly.

If he drops them as often as claimed (which he does), he does so to a predictable spot (generally in front) which is ideal for our smalls, Garlett will be salivating about the return of Chris, as we all should be.

You are kidding right?

• Like 5

I like the team balance on Sat, thought Brayshaws 9 tackles made him as valued as Aaron (with his more possessions), so like for like on the ins-outs...

I like Vandenberg, who played a solid game , but as a big physical forward, would replace him with Dawes.

If we'd copped a hiding on Saturday then Toumpas' 27 minute, 6 possession game would have been seen in a different light.

Those wanting to banish him to Casey for 10 games are over reacting

Ignore the draft pick number and judge him fairly

• Like 1

If we'd copped a hiding on Saturday then Toumpas' 27 minute, 6 possession game would have been seen in a different light.

Those wanting to banish him to Casey for 10 games are over reacting

Ignore the draft pick number and judge him fairly

If you did that he would be at Casey.

If he had been pick 50 would he have been playing on Saturday?

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

Toumpas replaced by Vince.

That is it you have to let the group that played on Saturday back up this week.

Show confidence in the group that played well and won well.

Dawes at Casey will not kill him and he drops too many marks for mine.

Hmmmmm.......How many marks did Frost take in the forward 50 on Saturday?

I like the idea of 3 smalls and 3 talls in our forward line.

3 smalls: jkh, Kent, Garlett.

3 talls: hogan, dawes & frost.

Extra: watts & vandenburg.

It seems like the most likely solution will be to move watts to the midfield and slot dawes in. But I'm worried about how top heavy we are.

As many have said I thibk jkh and toumpas out for Dawes and Vince.

Kent has speed, jkh doesn't (has great agility) so using that as my rationale (plus other posters pointing out Kents defensive forward role)!

Frost stays to ruck, he needs to take more marks though. Also I like watts more as a lead up forward now so would prefer he stayed in forward line..

Edited by Wunders

Brayshaw won't be going anywhere and I'm tipping he will play a full game this weekend.

Toumpas out for Vince.

Kent, JKH or Frost out for Dawes depending on whether we decide to have an extra tall or not.

Dawes certain to come back. Frost can play back

Frost back to play on McCarthy

Tom Mac to play on Cameron

Dawes replaces Frost in the forward line

Vince to play in the middle

Toump and JKH replaced by Vince and Dawes

Brayshaw won't be going anywhere and I'm tipping he will play a full game this weekend.

Toumpas out for Vince.

Kent, JKH or Frost out for Dawes depending on whether we decide to have an extra tall or not.

Frost won't play back unless we bring in another ruck option and I can't see that happening. Frost is our ruck change and you don't do this from the back half.

Dawes can't play ruck, the occasional boundary throw in but never centre square.

• Like 2

Brayshaw looks amazing quite possibly the lynchpin of our midfield with Petracca for years to come. I dont care how many possessions he had he made the right decision nearly every time he got near it on the weekend. How good was the 2 on 1 mark? He cant be dropped on that showing.

• Like 2

Why Vandenberg PaulRB?

The Frost love and Dawes dismissal on here are bizarre in equal amounts. Frost had 11 possies, and took 2 marks, neither inside 50. He tackled well and created pressure. He's looking ok, but a goalkicking forward he ain't. Chris Dawes is absolutely essential to our forward set up, given his presence and that he can actually take marks (sure, not as sticky as some hands), and is a very good kick for goal. He was our leading goal kicker last year with the worst supply in the league. Roos would drop Hogan before leaving Dawes out!

• Like 1

Why Vandenberg PaulRB?

The Frost love and Dawes dismissal on here are bizarre in equal amounts. Frost had 11 possies, and took 2 marks, neither inside 50. He tackled well and created pressure. He's looking ok, but a goalkicking forward he ain't. Chris Dawes is absolutely essential to our forward set up, given his presence and that he can actually take marks (sure, not as sticky as some hands), and is a very good kick for goal. He was our leading goal kicker last year with the worst supply in the league. Roos would drop Hogan before leaving Dawes out!

I was beginning to believe till you got to the last line.

• Like 2

Roos delighted with rare first week selection dilemma

For the Dawes doubters... "If they were both available for round one we would have picked them. The concern is, as a footy club, who do you drop?" coach Paul Roos said on Tuesday morning.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

Vince is one of our first picked players and will replace Toumpas, who still looks off the speed in terms of decision making and looks undersized at AFL level.

Dawes is a dilemma for the selectors. He will probably replace JKH, who sits below Kent on the pecking order IMO. However, Dawes will probably leave our forward line too top heavy, as it looked perfectly balanced with two genuine talls (Hogan and Frost) and two mid-size talls (Watts and Vandenberg). Frost is the other option if Dawes comes in, but his pace and aggressive tackling was first rate on Saturday and he could be a star. (Frost reminds me a bit of Nic Nat with his pressure around the stoppages.) This option also means Dawes has to be the second ruck.

Brayshaw will probably start as the sub given he has played the last four weeks.

B Garland, T McDonald, Jetta
HB Howe, Dunn, Salem
C Vince, Cross, Lumumba
HF Watts, Hogan, Viney
F Vandenberg, Dawes, Garlett
Fol Jamar, Tyson, N Jones
Int Brayshaw, Kent, Newton, Frost

Emg Michie, M Jones, Kennedy-Harris

I would run Cross with Griffen and Viney with Shiel. Let Jones go head to head with Treloar or Ward.

Edited by Fat Tony
  • Like 2

What is Dawes average?

5 marks a game for career. Are you honestly suggesting Frost is a more effective forward?

Vince is one of our first picked players and will replace Toumpas, who still looks off the speed in terms of decision making and looks undersized at AFL level.

Dawes is a dilemma for the selectors. He will probably replace JKH, who sits below Kent on the pecking order IMO. However, Dawes will probably leave our forward line too top heavy, as it looked perfectly balanced with two genuine talls (Hogan and Frost) and two mid-size talls (Watts and Vandenberg). Frost is the other option if Dawes comes in, but his pace and aggressive tackling was first rate on Saturday and he could be a star. (Frost reminds me a bit of Nic Nat with his pressure around the stoppages.) This option also means Dawes has to be the second ruck.

Brayshaw will probably start as the sub given he has played the last four weeks.

B Garland, T McDonald, Jetta

HB Howe, Dunn, Salem

C Vince, Cross, Lumumba

HF Watts, Hogan, Viney

F Vandenberg, Dawes, Garlett

Fol Jamar, Tyson, N Jones

Int Brayshaw, Kent, Newton, Frost

Emg Michie, M Jones, Kennedy-Harris

I would run Cross with Griffen and Viney with Shiel. Let Jones go head to head with Treloar or Ward.

Other than Frost's size, speed and tackling, what about Frost makes you think he will be a star?

By my reckoning if Toumpas had have gone at pick 50 the draft believers may well want to give him more game time.

Such is the nature of judging a player on his draft pick number.

It's just nonsense