Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne v Fremantle @ Fremantle Oval - 5th March, 2015

Moral of the story is me and many other much rather Billy Stretch play then Matt Jones tonight.

Coaching staff obviously do team selections and let me tell sometimes they aren't always the right decision.

Tonight was one of them

I'm quite comfortable with the match-committee's decision not to play Stretch, even though I would have loved to see him play.

It's really important to start out the season being loyal to your senior players - you don't want alienate the older players like Neeld did in his first year playing Toump.

Roosy has always shown great loyalty to older guys - have a look at his Sydney days and have a look at his leadership group. It's not for kids.

He's already made it very clear that Lumumba and Garlett are walk up starts this year - unless they muck up majorly.

Stretch will get plenty of chances in days to come I'm sure.

But Matt Jones deserved his spot. The question now is for how much longer can Roosy persist with him.

We saw last year that he was starting to waver in his loyalty to him, so my guess is that it could be pretty soon.

• Like 1

Some thoughts

Really surprised at how poor Gawn was. I thought he could kick a little, it's like he's been learning off spencer. One game in so hopefully a once off

I think Dawes and hogan will be a great twin towers combo

Newton will be a good player

I liked T macs games. Got involved

Really happy with how we cam back in the third. Freo were putting in and had a strong team out

Now to get a win against the saints. Bring watts Viney etc in

Do people forget that garland was an inch away from winning the bluey the year before last?

I am confident he will get his mojo back

And Terlich finished third.

And someone i actually would have over Grimes actually. While he can be poor by foot at times he tries to give us some run and carry and takes the game on.

• Like 1

These plaudits that Jamar is our best Ruck and that Garland is better than Grimes or how someone was close to a Bluey are frustrating because they are true.

Who else doesnt have a better 2nd ruck to our 1st? Good HBF are everywhere, why do we have to look to Salem? Who would play any of them?Well other than Essendon?

Given how pleasing it was tonight, I'll even pick a side for Rd 2 of NAB Cup against the Dogs.

I'm guessing that we will pick a fairly strong side again because it looks like we may be playing Essendon's reserves in our final match before Rd 1.

So full strength side, minus the following injured players - Vince, Howe, Newton (if its just a face knock he may yet play).

Angus will have to wait another week, as will Howey.

In: Watts, Viney, Stretch

Out: Newton (inj), McKenzie, Pederson (the Dogs are a small side, so we have to leave out at least one more big)

B: Jetta Dunn Frost

HB: Lumumba Tom Mc, Salem

C: M.Jones, Tyson, Bail

HF: Vandenberg Dawes Watts

F: Garlett Hogan Kent

Ru: Jamar N.Jones, Viney

Int: Michie, Cross, Grimes, Garland, Gawn, Toump

Subs: JKH and Stretch (youth has to wait, I'm afraid).

Player by player:

1. Hogan - Rusty after 12 months out but welcome back you beauty!

2. Jones - Ever reliable

3. Salem - Rusty and finding his feet

5 Toumpas - worked his way into the game in the 2nd half. Slick ball use which are starved of.

6 Dawes - meh. A couple of one grab marks which helps

8 Price - welcome aboard. Rusty but a prime mover

11 Gawn - Jeez back to short pass school for you. Looked to stand up a bit more in the contest.

12 Tyson - Blowing out the cobwebs. Prolific but ordinary disposal and decision making.

13 McKenzie - OK in a half but not in my 22

14 Dunn - Yuck

16 Kent - Great start to the season. Hungry for the pill and mostly used it well.

17 Frost - slotted himself into the 22 at least on the bench. Deceptively quick with dodgy/dinky kicking

18 Cross - Looked a bit slow but steadies the ship

19 Newton - what's not to like. Great kick and found the footy in the time he was on.

20 Garland - Fingers crossed he was just rusty.

21 Pedo - not the best game for him, poor decisions with the footy

22 Mitchie - not prolific but liked his off the ball work. Wouldn't be surprised if he topped the tackle count. Neat disposal apart from 1 clanger

24 JKH - Couldn't find the pill. Looked pretty fresh at the end of the game so fit?

25 TMac - Pushed of the ball a little and insists on taking off with the footy hoping an option will materialise = Turnover. Otherwise rusty but solid

31 Grimes - See Garland or Dunn

36 Garlett - Not a great game but I liked the pressure he applied

37Vandenberg - Upgrade - nice touches, used the ball well. I see the Cale Morton leg comparison.

39 Jetta - Didn't look like he missed a beat. I assume subbed off from seeing stars

40 Jamar - Nice kick for goal! OK in the ruck then invisible around the game.

44 Bail - Not much there

45 Jones - Shocker

Pretty happy with the game and excited by a few prospects! Although there was a strong theme of rust. It was a good run and you can see what is possible with quick ball movement.

• Like 1

A few stats worth noting ...

• We nearly broke even in clearances (28-31) but we did win the centre bounce clearances 10-5
  • Inside 50's in our favour (43-37)
  • We won the tackle count 67-49 (although that stat can sometimes be misleading)
  • Clangers 44-36 in our favour
  • Lachie Neale had 9 clearances for them whilst our best was Tyson with 5 (N Jones & Cross both had 4 each)
  • Our 4 leading uncontested possession winners were Lumumba (14) N Jones (13) Tyson (11) and Cross (11) ... no real surprises there but those 4 were the best at creating options.
  • N Jones (10) and Tyson (9) led the way with the contested possession count but we need a half a dozen of our players around the double figures mark in order for the team to win games consistently.
  • Like 5

There are two more preseason games to go and I am sure that the coaching team will want to get a look at all players as well as give a few a chance to play into a bit of form. This is also a chance for the coaches to have a look to see who responds week to week to after match reviews and critiques.

There are a lot of positives to come out of this evening but there is also a lot to improve on. It will be interesting to see how the team is structured over the next couple of games. A lot of changes for the next squad to give those that missed out tonight a run and then what? We give a likely R1 team a run against ???

Watts, Viney, Vince, Stretch, Brayshaw and maybe Hunt to get a run next game if they are fit.

Player by player:

1. Hogan - Rusty after 12 months out but welcome back you beauty!...YES

2. Jones - Ever reliable...YES

3. Salem - Rusty and finding his feet...GOOD IN PATCHES. WILL BE A SUPERSTAR. NO DOUBT!

5 Toumpas - worked his way into the game in the 2nd half. Slick ball use which are starved of...YES. 3rd TACKLE COUNT. GOOD 2nd HALF...TAKING GAME ON MORE.

6 Dawes - meh. A couple of one grab marks which helps...THOUGHT HE WAS A GOOD FOIL FOR HOGES.

8 Price - welcome aboard. Rusty but a prime mover...GUN.

11 Gawn - Jeez back to short pass school for you. Looked to stand up a bit more in the contest...RUSTY. WILL COME GOOD.

12 Tyson - Blowing out the cobwebs. Prolific but ordinary disposal and decision making...YES.

13 McKenzie - OK in a half but not in my 22...YES

14 Dunn - Yuck...RUSTY, THATS ALL.

16 Kent - Great start to the season. Hungry for the pill and mostly used it well...GREAT?

17 Frost - slotted himself into the 22 at least on the bench. Deceptively quick with dodgy/dinky kicking...YES.

18 Cross - Looked a bit slow but steadies the ship...LEADER.

19 Newton - what's not to like. Great kick and found the footy in the time he was on...YES.

20 Garland - Fingers crossed he was just rusty...JUST RUSTY, THATS ALL. WILL BE OK.

21 Pedo - not the best game for him, poor decisions with the footy...RUSTY.

22 Mitchie - not prolific but liked his off the ball work. Wouldn't be surprised if he topped the tackle count. Neat disposal apart from 1 clanger...YES.

24 JKH - Couldn't find the pill. Looked pretty fresh at the end of the game so fit?...WILL BE OK...NO PROBLEMS HERE.

25 TMac - Pushed of the ball a little and insists on taking off with the footy hoping an option will materialise = Turnover. Otherwise rusty but solid...YES TO RUSTY AND SOLID...TIMING OUT, THATS ALL.

31 Grimes - See Garland or Dunn...NOT THAT BAD.

36 Garlett - Not a great game but I liked the pressure he applied...WILL ONLY GET BETTER WHEN FORWARDS PLAY TOGETHER.

37Vandenberg - Upgrade - nice touches, used the ball well. I see the Cale Morton leg comparison...CALE MORTON NOT!

39 Jetta - Didn't look like he missed a beat. I assume subbed off from seeing stars...VERY GOOD.

40 Jamar - Nice kick for goal! OK in the ruck then invisible around the game...RUCKING GOOD, NOT SURE ABOUT HIS OUTPUT.

44 Bail - Not much there...GOOD RUNNER. WORKED HARD FOR LITTLE REWARD.

45 Jones - Shocker...NOT HIS BEST GAME WAS IT.

Pretty happy with the game and excited by a few prospects! Although there was a strong theme of rust. It was a good run and you can see what is possible with quick ball movement.

I'M Lazy. Good write up Roger.

• Like 1

There were some fairly encouraging signs tonight. Clearances in particular. Tackling and pressure around the footy I think will be up 300% on three years ago.

Our process going forward at times were a shambles but that can be fixed.

Our kicking for goal in the last was horrendous.

Haven't seen Lynden Dunn play that badly for a few years. There were still a few players that are out there that are not AFL standard. Hopefully we don't see too much of them this season.

Edited by jabberwocky

Just watched the replay of the 3rd quarter.The way Lumumba looks for a target up the ground and delivers it to them without messing around is refreshing.

And someone i actually would have over Grimes actually. While he can be poor by foot at times he tries to give us some run and carry and takes the game on.

Terlich turns over attacking kicks. Grimes turns over defensive options. So agree. Although Terlich is a good tackler he's pretty terrible one on one defending. So he's not perfect either.

Still don't understand why Salem was shuffled from half back just to give Grimes and McKenzie more game time. Salem needs to be learning in that spot. He made a few really solid defensive efforts back there.

• Like 1

For anyone who was at the game.

Who played on Walters and Ballantyne. Hardly sighted by their standards. Mayne either. I reckon it had to be Dunn, McKenzie, Jetta, Grimes, Toumpas, Salem, Garland and Jones M in combination.

Glad to see we attacked more and did ok against a very good defensive unit. It's only a practice match I know but thought Roos cruelled us with such a tall forward line that was unable to apply defensive pressure in the first half. Much better second half.

As far as I could see Freo were without 2 of their top players while we missed Watts, Vince, Howe and Viney. Pretty happy with the result, some good signs in trying conditions by a team short of experience compared to the opposition playing interstate.

The next two match will tell us much.

• Like 1

• N Jones (10) and Tyson (9) led the way with the contested possession count but we need a half a dozen of our players around the double figures mark in order for the team to win games consistently.

Newton with (6) in under a half of footy should give us another 'Macca' but agree we need a few more consistent contested ball winners.

Viv Michie needs to dye his hair blond, wear white boots and Keith Greig ankle guards. I never notice him until I see the number on his back.

You, me and most demonlanders. Rarely gets a mention in training reports as well. He had 7 tackles tonight and I can only remember 1.

You, me and most demonlanders. Rarely gets a mention in training reports as well. He had 7 tackles tonight and I can only remember 1.

Thought he was good tonight 'Samael', just goes about his business without much fuss or fanfare.

• Like 1

He tackles like he means it. I enjoy that. And throws his weight around at the stoppages. Just hope he can win some more ball instead of tackling all the time. Other than that he just needs to spread and run more and really bust a gut. He's got the skills and size and isn't afraid of the contest. I'm not saying he's lazy, I'm sure he's working really hard, but it's the big league and he needs to just step up the intensity and be desperate to get to contests and get involved. Then he'll be a player.

• Like 1

That's a fair point but was garland was excellent in 2013 and was on par with jonsey imo. Big difference between 2nd and 3rd that year

Newton with (6) in under a half of footy should give us another 'Macca' but agree we need a few more consistent contested ball winners.

Yes rjay, Newton showed a bit tonight but we also did miss Viney & Vince.

The top sides often have at least 6 players who reach around about double figures with regards to contested possessions and given the nature of how footy is played now, that's the benchmark.

94 players averaged 8 contested possessions or better last season ... of those 94 players, we had 5 so we're not too badly off ... the average and the disposal efficiency needs to improve for our blokes though ... N Jones 11.59 (22nd), Tyson 9.64 (59th), Vince 9.18 (66th), Cross 9.00 (69th) & Viney 8.75 (75th)

Uncontested possessions can often be equally or more important these days but if a team wins the clearances by a decent margin, that team nearly always win the game. It's also worth noting that we led the league in creating clearance situations last season (I believe) - now we need to win those clearance numbers (easier said than done of course ^_^)

Top 100 (contested possessions)

Yes rjay, Newton showed a bit tonight but we also did miss Viney & Vince.

The top sides often have at least 6 players who reach around about double figures with regards to contested possessions and given the nature of how footy is played now, that's the benchmark.

94 players averaged 8 contested possessions or better last season ... of those 94 players, we had 5 so we're not too badly off ... the average and the disposal efficiency needs to improve for our blokes though ... N Jones 11.59 (22nd), Tyson 9.64 (59th), Vince 9.18 (66th), Cross 9.00 (69th) & Viney 8.75 (75th)

Uncontested possessions can often be equally or more important these days but if a team wins the clearances by a decent margin, that team nearly always win the game. It's also worth noting that we led the league in creating clearance situations last season (I believe) - now we need to win those clearance numbers (easier said than done of course ^_^)

Top 100 (contested possessions)

When it comes to footy I'm pretty firmly in the play good footy and the stats will follow column, but that's interesting stuff.

I see Lumumba as a running outside type, but there's still contests and therefore contested possessions to be had away from the packs.

The centre clearances and clearance numbers in general do lend me to favouring the 2 rucks set up.

I also did like Garlett's burst from a centre stoppage as a change up as well. Obviously it comes down to the form and fitness of the best guys, but overall I think we have an ok amount of solid, mature clearance winners now. Especially if Jamar is fit I don't think we should be embarrassed at the contest like we were so often at the worst times.

Disposal efficiency and how to move the ball with the right amount of risk and reward is probably where the success is on the line. Chipping it around half back constantly won't cut it this year. Work rate, foot skills, marking, smarts to get in the right spots, structure, team orientated play, speed. So many variables involved in moving the ball fluently from one end to the other these days.

How depressing Demonland can be! We played a practice match against a top four side on a hot and windy day, interstate and on the ground that they play on every week, all week. We suffered no injuries, they suffered three & one looks very serious & to an important player. Both sides made lots of mistakes & both had one lousy quarter. They had a very strong side, players of note missing , Fyfe & Sandilands, but not too many new faces. We however, were a vastly different side to the one that finished round 22 last year. I don't think the various opponents that Garland & Grimes were on had game changing games, so not sure of the angst. I saw some average disposals from a lot of very good players on both teams. I prefer to look at these three games as an opportunity to have a look at our new recruits, watch the development of some of our 2nd year players and of course salivate over Hogan. He will be a star....no doubt about that. The season proper starts in about a month......then we are entitled to make some more honest criticisms but the denigration of some of our MFC players at this stage of the year beggars belief. Some players will simply be grunt players all their footy careers. All teams have them ...in better teams ...they don't stand out as much ...but you will never get a team off 22 super stars. Hopefully as our better players improve & dominate....we won't need to have so many whipping boys. Footy is back....we still have hope.....we can look forward to weekends again....& this year I for one can already see that it will be more enjoyable....

• Like 8

How depressing Demonland can be! We played a practice match against a top four side on a hot and windy day, interstate and on the ground that they play on every week, all week. We suffered no injuries, they suffered three & one looks very serious & to an important player. Both sides made lots of mistakes & both had one lousy quarter. They had a very strong side, players of note missing , Fyfe & Sandilands, but not too many new faces. We however, were a vastly different side to the one that finished round 22 last year. I don't think the various opponents that Garland & Grimes were on had game changing games, so not sure of the angst. I saw some average disposals from a lot of very good players on both teams. I prefer to look at these three games as an opportunity to have a look at our new recruits, watch the development of some of our 2nd year players and of course salivate over Hogan. He will be a star....no doubt about that. The season proper starts in about a month......then we are entitled to make some more honest criticisms but the denigration of some of our MFC players at this stage of the year beggars belief. Some players will simply be grunt players all their footy careers. All teams have them ...in better teams ...they don't stand out as much ...but you will never get a team off 22 super stars. Hopefully as our better players improve & dominate....we won't need to have so many whipping boys. Footy is back....we still have hope.....we can look forward to weekends again....& this year I for one can already see that it will be more enjoyable....

If I could like this ten times I would. I would also add FROST! With his pace and dash he will be a star. Not to many teams going around that have a key defender that can add that much run,carry and attacking flare.

well I had a great time tonight up until I started to read some comments ==fair dinkum did any of you keyboard warriors go to the game

I did and with me was a solid card carrying still playing good footy MFC member

we both were thrilled at the effort .

and I tell you why

MFC has got better although a few mistakes cost us

we are better in many ways like

our tackling stuck

our closing chasing speed is much improved

our in and under is stronger

our field kicking is much improved NOR do we second guess were its going --we have confidence in the team AND don't play favorites like a few years ago

all new personnel showed plenty

happy to talk about the good and bad

• Like 3

Some players will simply be grunt players all their footy careers. All teams have them ...in better teams ...they don't stand out as much ...

Agree.

In better teams though, the grunt played are made to look better by the quality and skills of the players around them.

As for our grunts, I don't mind Rohan Bail, and until he's overtaken by others, I can imagine him holding down a place, even if it's 22nd. Similar to some extent for McKenzie, hard to judge on the limited time he had tonight, but he did have 100% disposal efficiency (admittedly on only 6 disposals). Suspect that his place will depend on match-ups and the role he can play, can imagine him being in/out. He'll get 30+ disposals at Casey each week though ...

Can't say the same about Matt Jones, feel he's probably looking at his last season, but Grimes and Garland - too early to say on the basis of one NAB cup game. Garland in particular would be justified to be feeling nervous.