• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 27th February, 2015

Demonland

The fact these players are completely different in positions and roles makes your point seem quite stupid.

Small forward vs midfielder, also the depth of players we have in each position also changes how "ready to go" a player is.

Brayshaw is in no way a ready built mid weighing in at 84 kilos, will still need to put on 6-7 kilos of lean muscle and strip back a bit of the excess (as will be expected of all draftees)

Someone mentioned Brayshaw looked thin compared to Dom Tyson who is around the same weight and that Brayshaw looked small compared to the other players. So I made a reference to JKH who is probably the smallest player on our list who had no problem competing last year, so I don't think Brayshaw's size will be an issue.

That has nothing to do with what position they both play in, for all we know Brayshaw might play forward this year same like JKH.

My point had nothing to do with what position the they play, just comparing their size, ok.

Someone mentioned Brayshaw looked thin compared to Dom Tyson who is around the same weight and that Brayshaw looked small compared to the other players. So I made a reference to JKH who is probably the smallest player on our list who had no problem competing last year, so I don't think Brayshaw's size will be an issue.

That has nothing to do with what position they both play in, for all we know Brayshaw might play forward this year same like JKH.

My point had nothing to do with what position the they play, just comparing their size, ok.

Brayshaw could well play forward or back this year correct, but the comparison to a completely different player makes it useless. Debate about size is pretty tough as I would suggest his current size would make it hard for him to have an immediate impact in the middle of the ground.

Size has a lot to do with the position they play in for example we drafted Max Gawn at 105 kilos which is a pretty solid size for a ruckman but he needed to put on around 10-12 kilos of muscle before he would be AFL ready. Whilst he may weigh 84-86 he is still 6-7 kilos of muscle away from where he needs to be to play consistent AFL football, in my opinion. This is different for small forwards as they are able to play at a lighter weight as long as they are quick enough over 15-20m and have a good step e.g JKH & Neade

How many game do you predict Brayshaw to play this year.

Is he in the Luke Dunstan Ollie Wines track where he is ready to go straight away or needs a bit more development.

5-10 maybe up to 15. He just doesn't look ready to mix it out in the middle and I don't think Paul Roos has any intention of finding out.

He'll be in line for a flank, either back or forward depending on injuries and form. I expect he'll get more midfield opportunities at VFL and impress. His work rate impresses me as does how he cracks in, plus his kicking is a bit inconsistent but adequate, it's not poor, just like most players he's better with time and space than under pressure.

Brayshaw was compared to Boak pre draft. And Boak was a really good case of a pretty standard start for a top 5 player who then steadily improved for 3 years.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-port-adelaide-power--travis-boak

If you look at his stats he averaged 16 touches in his first year (way before any sub rule), then 20 touches, then 23. He wasn't a beast at the contest like his draft rival Selwood. He wasn't dominating on the outside with speed. Nor was he fitter than everyone so racking up the ball. Or out marking them and kicking heaps of goals. So it took him a lot of development in building his body and game. That's what I expect from Brayshaw.

• Like 4

5-10 maybe up to 15. He just doesn't look ready to mix it out in the middle and I don't think Paul Roos has any intention of finding out.

He'll be in line for a flank, either back or forward depending on injuries and form. I expect he'll get more midfield opportunities at VFL and impress. His work rate impresses me as does how he cracks in, plus his kicking is a bit inconsistent but adequate, it's not poor, just like most players he's better with time and space than under pressure.

Brayshaw was compared to Boak pre draft. And Boak was a really good case of a pretty standard start for a top 5 player who then steadily improved for 3 years.

If you look at his stats he averaged 16 touches in his first year (way before any sub rule), then 20 touches, then 23. He wasn't a beast at the contest like his draft rival Selwood. He wasn't dominating on the outside with speed. Nor was he fitter than everyone so racking up the ball. Or out marking them and kicking heaps of goals. So it took him a lot of development in building his body and game. That's what I expect from Brayshaw.

You have come up with the goods again mate.

Top stuff

I made the comparison to Tyson because they are similar height and playing similar role.

Brayshaw is listed on the MFC site as 187cm and 88kg

Tyson is listed as 186 cm and 81 kg.

Go to training and try tell me Brayshaw does not look slender.

Weight stats very deceiving.

I made the comparison to Tyson because they are similar height and playing similar role.

So if he was given a game as sub in round one, played up forward for a quarter or so. Do you think he would look out of place or do you think he could hold his feet in a contest? Thats what will matter.

I have been to a number of training sessions this pre-season and was there yesterday and here is a few of my observations:

• I will be very surprised to see Brayshaw line up in the seniors before at least mid year. Certainly not in the midfield. As a rookie he needs to learn how to play the midfield role and learn off the likes of Nat Jones and Tyson. He appears a little lost in the match sims and his disposal needs more work. This is all to be expected. 6 mths at Casey, injury free, will do him the world of good.
  • Aaron Vandenberg seems the most likely to be elevated from the rookie list. That said, from what I saw yesterday, he trained well up until the match sim where I think he ran out of condition and Jordie easliy picked him off. He is a huge specimen and if he can improve his fitness he could make it and surprise.
  • I loved it again yesterday when Christian Salem did another short pin point arrow kick to a team mate a la Port Adelaide game at Alice last year when he passed to Bail for a goal. As you don't see it very often to that level of skill except if you are watching Hawthorn you appreciate how good Salem is and will be.
  • I agree with Saty re Viney. I don't think he has had a huge pre-season. Yes we have seen his defensive skills on display but I was looking forward to see more of his offensive / creative skills develop. The big positive is that he has kept himself injury free.
  • Boy its striking to see the difference in skill between Dawes and Hogan. Jamar and Pederson are far better marks than Dawes and I would not be rushing the former Magpie into the side for Round 2.
  • Speaking of Pederson, he also has had a big pre-season and has lost a fair bit of weight. He is still underestimated even with his breakout year last year.
  • Have been very impressed with Mat Jones this pre-season. His increased speed and ability to run and run makes him a certain starter in Round 1 IMO.

I think we have made real progress this pre-season and the list looks quite healthy especially the big men. I am quietly confident that we will be competitive and more attractive to watch and even surprise on one or two occasions. How many wins that translates to, we will see but if the list remains injury free then 6-7 wins would be a good result .

• Like 8

Excellent comparison Georgiou RR. He'll show glimpses this year but we have to be patient.

Great report djr I am on the same boat as you in Chris Dawes. He is not in my best 22 and I think he should be made to earn his spot after his suspension.

I would have Pedersen and Fitzpatrick ahead of him at this stage.

So if he was given a game as sub in round one, played up forward for a quarter or so. Do you think he would look out of place or do you think he could hold his feet in a contest? Thats what will matter.

No doubt he can play I do think he will hold his own but I am just stating how he looks from physical point of view from the sideline I doubt any one will debate with me and say he looks like an 88kg ready made mid. Hope he has a killer NAB round 1 but from what I have seen he will have few weeks at Casey and Roos will give him crack.

Edited by ashdemons22

I have been to a number of training sessions this pre-season and was there yesterday and here is a few of my observations:

• I will be very surprised to see Brayshaw line up in the seniors before at least mid year. Certainly not in the midfield. As a rookie he needs to learn how to play the midfield role and learn off the likes of Nat Jones and Tyson. He appears a little lost in the match sims and his disposal needs more work. This is all to be expected. 6 mths at Casey, injury free, will do him the world of good.
  • Aaron Vandenberg seems the most likely to be elevated from the rookie list. That said, from what I saw yesterday, he trained well up until the match sim where I think he ran out of condition and Jordie easliy picked him off. He is a huge specimen and if he can improve his fitness he could make it and surprise.
  • I loved it again yesterday when Christian Salem did another short pin point arrow kick to a team mate a la Port Adelaide game at Alice last year when he passed to Bail for a goal. As you don't see it very often to that level of skill except if you are watching Hawthorn you appreciate how good Salem is and will be.
  • I agree with Saty re Viney. I don't think he has had a huge pre-season. Yes we have seen his defensive skills on display but I was looking forward to see more of his offensive / creative skills develop. The big positive is that he has kept himself injury free.
  • Boy its striking to see the difference in skill between Dawes and Hogan. Jamar and [Pedersen] are far better marks than Dawes and I would not be rushing the former Magpie into the side for Round 2.
  • Speaking of [Pedersen], he also has had a big pre-season and has lost a fair bit of weight. He is still underestimated even with his breakout year last year.
  • Have been very impressed with Mat Jones this pre-season. His increased speed and ability to run and run makes him a certain starter in Round 1 IMO.
I think we have made real progress this pre-season and the list looks quite healthy especially the big men. I am quietly confident that we will be competitive and more attractive to watch and even surprise on one or two occasions. How many wins that translates to, we will see but if the list remains injury free then 6-7 wins would be a good result .
If Casey are anything like last year I can't see 6 months with them doing anyone any good at all. In fact I think we'd be better off without them. It's a ridiculous association. Berwick is not anywhere near the MCG or where most MFC supporters live. The team is no good. It's too far from the main MFC base. Why did we ever break from Sandy?

If Casey are anything like last year I can't see 6 months with them doing anyone any good at all. In fact I think we'd be better off without them. It's a ridiculous association. Berwick is not anywhere near the MCG or where most MFC supporters live. The team is no good. It's too far from the main MFC base. Why did we ever break from Sandy?

I think that you are neglecting to take into account the differences between the 2014 Casey and the 2015 Casey, including:

1) coaches Plapp and Byrnes are full time and being paid by MFC,

2) Byrnes is a playing coach,

3) Casey has recruited some good players in the off-season,

4) because our injury list is less than previous seasons, there will be more MFC players appearing each week for Casey,

5) as the Casey coaches are on our payroll, expect the game plans to align, and

6) the MFC players will all be playing to their potential because of the competition for promotion to the starting 22 the following week.

All in all, expect the Casey team for 2015 to be markedly more competitive because suddenly the MFC sees their success integral to the success of the Demons. There is nothing at all wrong in Casey being the premier team in the VFL and the MFC players playing for them absorbing the 'winning culture '!

• Like 5

Brayshaw told me what he weighed, the players find the stats listed by AFL/Club etc amusing

Tyson is about 85k now I think I recall him telling me

I think that you are neglecting to take into account the differences between the 2014 Casey and the 2015 Casey, including:

4) because our injury list is less than previous seasons, there will be more MFC players appearing each week for Casey,

6) the MFC players will all be playing to their potential because of the competition for promotion to the starting 22 the following week.

All in all, expect the Casey team for 2015 to be markedly more competitive because suddenly the MFC sees their success integral to the success of the Demons. There is nothing at all wrong in Casey being the premier team in the VFL and the MFC players playing for them absorbing the 'winning culture '!

The reason Byrnes wanted to play was besides thinking he could still offer something on the field, is he is looking forward to playing alongside the young talent we have and the Casey players who he rates as good VFL players

Great report djr I am on the same boat as you in Chris Dawes. He is not in my best 22 and I think he should be made to earn his spot after his suspension.

I asked Pedo if he cracks the forward spot in Round 1, would he just step aside and let Dawes back in for Round 2, the answer is no

I think the work rate and off the ball work Dawes does gets forgotten.

I always thought that was his greatest help to Cloke and will be to Hogan.

His aggression at the ball and tackles also helps.

He would be in the side ever day of the week over Pederson or Fitzy.

If Gawn ever gets it together I think he will be the biggest threat to Dawes place in the side.

• Like 3

He would be in the side ever day of the week over [Pedersen] or Fitzy.

If Gawn ever gets it together I think he will be the biggest threat to Dawes place in the side.

I would disagree slightly with you, Pedo's workrate is equal if not better than Dawes, don't forget Hogan is not a lock either, Roos wants him to show he should be in the team

No doubt he can play I do think he will hold his own but I am just stating how he looks from physical point of view from the sideline I doubt any one will debate with me and say he looks like an 88kg ready made mid. Hope he has a killer NAB round 1 but from what I have seen he will have few weeks at Casey and Roos will give him crack.

Has he put on any muscle since he started training? I have high hopes for him, I reckon he is one of those types who isn't a stand out at training but once he crosses that line it's a completely different story.

I understand what you say about Dawes' workrate but I think we now have genuine alternative offensive options that can make a difference on the scoreboard. Jamar and Pedo have solid one-grab hands and their defensive skills are good enough to keep Dawes out at the moment. That all said, I agree that Gawn is the dark horse and has an X factor about him.

No one can ever question his workrate. But his marking is atrocious for such a big key forward and he doesn't kick enough goals for me. We did recruit him to become a key forward that kicks goals right..? Im sure off field he has been very valuable but on field he has been a disappointment for me and by the sounds of the match simulations over the last two weeks he has been fairly ordinary..

Don't underestimate Pedersen's work rate and attack at the ball, it is right up there with Dawes. His Richmond game was one of the best games he has ever played and atleast he is a decent mark of the ball. I have him ahead of Dawes.

Fitzy is still an untapped talent. His Brisbane game when he kicked 4 goals was quality as a forward. He is very quick and agile and I thought he is a perfect example of someone that has improved his marking. Just needs a good run at it.

Dawes shows some real questionable leadership.

Still haven't forgotten his spray against JKH for burning him, then him doing the same himself a few rounds later.

Yeah forgot about that.

His antics against NM were truly unacceptable as a leader. Im still willing to back him but needs to have a massive 2015.

Let's wait and see. Somehow I doubt it. Overall I think Casey is a poor fit with MFC. Similar to the China association we had a few years ago. A remnant of the bizarre ideas of a poor administration that stuffed us up in so many ways.