MFC injury list - 2015

Chelly

My father told me a long time ago AAC that thoroughbreds get injured donkeys run around all there lives with no problems.

Not all donkeys run around all their lives with no problems, this poor lass got hit by a car last week in Addis Ababa (apparently sitting and waiting in vain for first aid to arrive):

11407045_10153482112038319_7863866490936

How the Fark does a player returning from one hammy go and do his other hammy? Wtf is Misson doing.

he's experiencing failure that's what

we've had half a side out for the whole effing year

there HAS to be something more to it than bad luck

• Like 2

Salem disappointment aside, how long does it take to return from a broken toe?

Frost has been out for nearly 2 months now, throw in Kent (who's hammy was a big one i know), many of our injured players' are not recovering within the appropriate time-frame. This should not be acceptable.

Misson is definitely one who has escaped the blow torch with his performance. If it was Bodhan 'whatever his name' is, demonland would be calling for his head..

Maybe it's time we started looking for a new performance manager.

• Like 3

Salem disappointment aside, how long does it take to return from a broken toe?

Frost has been out for nearly 2 months now, throw in Kent (who's hammy was a big one i know), many of our injured players' are not recovering within the appropriate time-frame. This should not be acceptable.

Misson is definitely one who has escaped the blow torch with his performance. If it was Bodhan 'whatever his name' is, demonland would be calling for his head..

Maybe it's time we started looking for a new performance manager.

This is one item that is absolutely impossible to assess from outside the club. Injuries and recovery are such a dynamic thing, there are so many factors that influence them and one of them is just pot luck. Don't know how you could ever say from the outside who was to blame, if anyone. The evidence is only ever circumstantial.

Hell, I'm not even really sure how you'd do it from inside the club unless you were a fitness expert yourself, or obvious gross negligence was at play (which I highly doubt). By hiring another external expert to review it all, I suppose.

Maybe it is impossible to assess Nasher, and maybe it's extremely simplistic of me. Is it too much to expect 'elite' results from our 'elite performance manager'?

No, of course the club should expect elite results from its elite performance manager. But who's to say we're not seeing elite results, and that it's just been bad luck, or other unidentified (from the outside) influences? That's my point.

A small injury list might be indicative of good performance, but a large injury list isn't necessarily indicative of a poor performance.

• Like 1

Our players never tend to return on time.

There's clearly incompetence on some level - whether that's performance management, communication or otherwise remains to be seen.

Our injury list has been fairly average though tbf, though that may be because our true a-graders have so far remained fit.

Everyone was praising Mission for our healthy list in the pre-season, only Petracca and Trengove were on it.

Now we're blaming him for the injuries that our players are getting which every team gets. Before comparing our injury list with St Kilda's one, how about we compare our's to Brisbane or Gold Coasts!

Demonland, where one day you're elite, 150 gamer, gun, saviour of the club and the next you're a list clogger, spud, not a part of the future.

• Like 1

Everyone was praising Mission for our healthy list in the pre-season, only Petracca and Trengove were on it.

Now we're blaming him for the injuries that our players are getting which every team gets. Before comparing our injury list with St Kilda's one, how about we compare our's to Brisbane or Gold Coasts!

Demonland, where one day you're elite, 150 gamer, gun, saviour of the club and the next you're a list clogger, spud, not a part of the future.

We have first year players missing whole seasons. Players getting repeat injuries which ruin careers (Tapscott, Blease, let's hope not Salem).

How on earth is a player allowed to go so hard on a hamstring injury that they go and injure the other hamstring?

How many of our players have done hamstrings? VandenBerg, Kent, Salem * 2. It's adding up.

Don't get me started on Dawes 4 year old calf injury.

Edited by olisik

Misson has does a [censored] job for years. I can't remember one season since he has been employed that we have had a good injury run.

The relatively poor injury situation goes back beyond Misson. Maybe 2000 was the last time we had near zero injuries?

I think some blowtorch should go into Mission. This year we seem to have guys who are having repeated hamstring injuries. Not forgetting also Benie Vince and Jeremy Howe who both re injured their hamstrings during the pre season aswell and missed a huge chunk of it.

I think some blowtorch should go into Mission. This year we seem to have guys who are having repeated hamstring injuries. Not forgetting also Benie Vince and Jeremy Howe who both re injured their hamstrings during the pre season aswell and missed a huge chunk of it.

It's hard for me to type this on a DD post but

I...

I....

I agree

Well done, now take a deep breath

Errrr....ok?.....random person I have never spoken to before.

Any more hamstring issues this year and Misson will have explaining to do. 6 and counting is a big number

Edited by olisik

How do people suggest we stop our hamstring injuries?

And what is Mission doing/not doing that is affecting this positively or negatively?

This is a genuine question.

I kind of feel that it is kinda just bad luck, but happy to be proven otherwise. I'm a teacher, not a physiotherapist, sports scientist etc.

• Like 4

^^

Song. Tend to agree but we need some genuine expert input here (not the usual Demonland I know, he said etc stuff)

Could it be that under the new regime the players are pushing themselves harder?

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

How do people suggest we stop our hamstring injuries?

And what is Mission doing/not doing that is affecting this positively or negatively?

This is a genuine question.

I kind of feel that it is kinda just bad luck, but happy to be proven otherwise. I'm a teacher, not a physiotherapist, sports scientist etc.

I don't think it's just hammies, to be honest. I think people are more starting to get concerned about the fact that we repeatedly have an extensive injury list full of players with mystery injuries that don't seem to get better in any reasonable period of time.

A timely article by Garry Lyon on injuries:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-injuries-the-hurt-factor-that-no-one-wants-to-talk-about-20150612-ghmghg.html

According to AFL injury list (a few minor changes since publishing):

Brisb 18, Cats 16, Suns 14, Saints 1, Dees 7 (list adjusted for Dawes/JKH in and Garland out), Others 4 to 9

Ours are Garland, Vandenberg, Trengrove, Salem, Petracca, Kent, Frost

I see every reason to be very conservative with their recovery.

If we rush them back players breakdown again sometimes with dire results (Trengrove/Clarke).

Player welfare is also an issue...a quote from Judd this week: "... he recently literally felt nauseous at the thought of having to play sore."

I like that we are looking after our players especially the young guys.

Misson and medics are doing fine!

On the positive side it gives experienced players a chance to show why they should stay on the list and new recruits a chance to get a taste of AFL.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero