Intra Club - Thursday 19 February 2015 at Casey Fields @ 3pm

Demonland

Dees set for intra-club match

Melbourne will play an intra-club match at Casey Fields this Thursday.

The game will start at 4pm.

Come and watch the players in their first practice match of 2015.

There will be BBQ at the ground, giveaways, games and activities, membership and merchandise available to purchase.

Doubt I'll make it all the way out there just for an intraclub, but I'm sure we will have some good reports. Having it at Casey is a good idea because they are limited with what they can do at Gosch's I think in terms of all the other stuff. The BBQ and kids activities should be good at Casey, just hope a fair few can attend.

I would be there, but I have a job. As always, the MFC seems to think the majority of their supporters are unemployed.

Totally agree. You'd think sporting clubs would want supporters to come and watch them play, but this one certainly doesn't. They can't do it on the weekend because ?????

• Like 1

Totally agree. You'd think sporting clubs would want supporters to come and watch them play, but this one certainly doesn't. They can't do it on the weekend because ?????

How about because they are all full time employees (including coaches, etc) and have weekends off during the off season as part of their employment agreements?

• Like 1

How about because they are all full time employees (including coaches, etc) and have weekends off during the off season as part of their employment agreements?

I just find it annoying that they market this as a big public event, prizes, giveaways and BBQ, and then schedule it for a time when so many people won't be able to attend. Why bother telling us if they're just going to do that? If they want the supporters to show up for it then then need to be a bit more sensible about when they do it, and if they don't then then need to stop pretending that it's a fun fan-friendly event and just call it a regular training session.

• Like 1

I just find it annoying that they market this as a big public event, prizes, giveaways and BBQ, and then schedule it for a time when so many people won't be able to attend. Why bother telling us if they're just going to do that? If they want the supporters to show up for it then then need to be a bit more sensible about when they do it, and if they don't then then need to stop pretending that it's a fun fan-friendly event and just call it a regular training session.

I guess they could have it as a Saturday, but that might throw off the preparation for the first NAB challenge game as well as throw out the regular training schedule.

4pm was a pretty good time for kids and school pick ups out in the Casey area to attend. Obviously not the majority of people, but a somewhat decent time. The change back to 2 and 3 is less ideal but it still is possible for some of the 3pm finishers to make it.

Last year at Gosch's paddock the crowd was fantastic, on a weekday. No BBQ but people were the whole way around the fence. The location is the issue. Given such a small percentage of Dees supporters live out that far, it takes up too large a chunk of the day for a non-weekend

Obviously it's easy to be cynical, but I wonder if the injuries to Petracca and possibly Frost have seen the club wind back the intensity from a full intra club to a mix of training and match simulation.

Obviously it's easy to be cynical, but I wonder if the injuries to Petracca and possibly Frost have seen the club wind back the intensity from a full intra club to a mix of training and match simulation.

This definitely seems to be the case, and it's a shame. I'd rather see something that effectively matches match intensity

Intra Club after today? Call it off that would be far too dangerous at this stage. And I am not sure on the NAB either, that could be dangerous as well. And as for round 1 forget it I say too much can go wrong.

• Like 7

What century are we living in? The employment agreements also mandate that pre season training cannot start until a certain date, but we have negotiated around that. I'm pretty sure that the sharpest minds at the club can find a way to get the game played on Saturday and still give the players two days off.

As much as some people disagree, this is an entertainment business and you go where the people are. They are not at Cranbourne at 2pm on a Thursday.

• Like 1

What century are we living in? The employment agreements also mandate that pre season training cannot start until a certain date, but we have negotiated around that. I'm pretty sure that the sharpest minds at the club can find a way to get the game played on Saturday and still give the players two days off.

As much as some people disagree, this is an entertainment business and you go where the people are. They are not at Cranbourne at 2pm on a Thursday.

i was thinking more of the non-playing personnel such as coaches, physios, medicos, trainers and whoever else is needed. Nevertheless, whether we like it or not, we're living in the 21st century and with that comes various employment obligations which may not have existed in bygone eras. I also think we're stretching the responsibilities of the club if an intraclub practice match has to be considered as an entertainment product which should fit in with the fans' expectations.

• Like 4

Who said people wont be at Cranbourne at 2 ? I will. For too long a lot of MFC supporters act like little gods deeming nobody lives more than 10 kms from the GPO. That's one of the reasons our supporter base is so low and one of the oldest in age.

We seem to look down on people who live out here, I live in Pakenham and cant make training at Goshs paddock, but I enjoy the reports put on this site from Dees supporters. But hold training or match practice out here and the noses rise a bit higher. Come out breathe the air , we are people and Dees supporters out here too.

• Like 13

Who said people wont be at Cranbourne at 2 ? I will. For too long a lot of MFC supporters act like little gods deeming nobody lives more than 10 kms from the GPO. That's one of the reasons our supporter base is so low and one of the oldest in age.

We seem to look down on people who live out here, I live in Pakenham and cant make training at Goshs paddock, but I enjoy the reports put on this site from Dees supporters. But hold training or match practice out here and the noses rise a bit higher. Come out breathe the air , we are people and Dees supporters out here too.

You have inspired me to get the train, if I can survive on Victoria St, can survive anywhere.....your ageism notwithstanding, I will be the distinguished looking gentleman with the grey beard and the scooter
  • Like 4