Casey Scorpions gearing up for 2015

KC from Casey

After a disappointing 2014 we can expect a better performed Casey Scorpions this year under new coach Justin Plapp. A number of youngsters were given their chance last season and the club is looking for improvement from them after their baptism under fire. There are no "big name" recruits but some of the new faces at the club look very promising and the view is that there should be more AFL listed players available on a weekly basis this year after an injury-riddled 2014.

The notable ins and outs to this stage are -

In: Shannon Byrnes (Melbourne), James Munro (Sandringham), Bailey Fritsch (Coldstream), Luke Walmsley (Dingley), Luke Hannon (Eastern Ranges)

Out: Jake Best (Leongatha)

The club is close to finalising its 2015 VFL list and has released its 2015 practice match schedule in the lead up into the opening round game on the 18th April against Frankston at Casey Fields. There are five practice matches with four at home:-

Saturday 14th March v Box Hill 10am & 1pm at Casey Fields

Saturday 21st March v Port Melbourne 9.45am & 12.45pm at Casey Fields

Saturday 28th March v Williamstown 10am & 1pm at Casey Fields

Saturday 4th April v Collingwood 11am at Olympic Park

Saturday 11th April v Werribee 11am & 2pm at Casey Fields

April 4th looks interesting.

11am curtain raiser then a stroll across the bridge to the "G" for round 1

It does bring back memories.

Yes it does PD

A reserves game before the main game wow

Sadly of times never to return.

With the announcement last night at the MFC AGM that:

1) both Plapp and Byrnes are on the MFC payroll;

2) there are 38 MFC players in full training (c.f. 22 last year); and

3) the training / game plans are being integrated,

I expect nothing less than a Premiership from the Scorps this year!

• Like 1

With the announcement last night at the MFC AGM that:

1) both Plapp and Byrnes are on the MFC payroll;

2) there are 38 MFC players in full training (c.f. 22 last year); and

3) the training / game plans are being integrated,

I expect nothing less than a Premiership from the Scorps this year!

WOW

Hair shirts all round

The VFL and Channel 7 have issued the list of televised games for the first four rounds of the season [all games played and broadcast live]

Round 1: Saturday April 18, 12pm – Footscray vs Box Hill Hawks

Round 2: Sunday April 26, 11:30am – Essendon vs Collingwood

Round 3: Saturday May 2, 12pm – Coburg vs Frankston

Round 4: Saturday May 9, 12pm – Casey Scorpions vs Sandringham

Not a Casey story but Coburg has just announced the recruitment of pick four in the 2008 Draft, and 76 AFL game player with Melbourne and West Coast - Cale Morton.

Well that is at least one VFL team that we will boast a stronger list than!

Not a Casey story but Coburg has just announced the recruitment of pick four in the 2008 Draft, and 76 AFL game player with Melbourne and West Coast - Cale Morton.

2007 draft, WJ.

After a disappointing 2014 we can expect a better performed Casey Scorpions this year under new coach Justin Plapp. A number of youngsters were given their chance last season and the club is looking for improvement from them after their baptism under fire. There are no "big name" recruits but some of the new faces at the club look very promising and the view is that there should be more AFL listed players available on a weekly basis this year after an injury-riddled 2014.

The notable ins and outs to this stage are -

In: Shannon Byrnes (Melbourne), James Munro (Sandringham), Bailey Fritsch (Coldstream), Luke Walmsley (Dingley), Luke Hannon (Eastern Ranges)

Out: Jake Best (Leongatha)

The club is close to finalising its 2015 VFL list and has released its 2015 practice match schedule in the lead up into the opening round game on the 18th April against Frankston at Casey Fields. There are five practice matches with four at home:-

Saturday 14th March v Box Hill 10am & 1pm at Casey Fields

Saturday 21st March v Port Melbourne 9.45am & 12.45pm at Casey Fields

Saturday 28th March v Williamstown 10am & 1pm at Casey Fields

Saturday 4th April v Collingwood 11am at Olympic Park

Saturday 11th April v Werribee 11am & 2pm at Casey Fields

Is there a Casey player we should keep an eye out for a break out year?

What type of players are Munro, Mason and Hannon?

• 3 weeks later...

I would like this (Casey) team play the Essendon ragtag team in the NAB Challenge! We would crush them! (Let theDees have the week off!)

The Casey Scorpions have announced another signing - 191cm, 92kg defender Jack Hutchins who played 19 games with the Gold Coast Suns from 2011 to 2014.

Thanks for update and look forward to your great reports again this year .

The Casey Scorpions have announced another signing - 191cm, 92kg defender Jack Hutchins who played 19 games with the Gold Coast Suns from 2011 to 2014.

I think he can play tall midfield as well. Wouldn't surprise me if he's one Melbourne keep a close eye on and have some interest in a second chance at AFL level.

I think he can play tall midfield as well. Wouldn't surprise me if he's one Melbourne keep a close eye on and have some interest in a second chance at AFL level.

Considering our (Demon) boys are lining up against another former Casey boy this Thursday (Silvagni)!

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but while the Melbourne squad was over in Perth to take on Fremantle, ten Demons trained with Casey at its main training session. The players all got involved either training or by assisting with drills with the coaching staff.

They were Angus Brayshaw, James Harmes, Oscar MacDonald, Max King, Jack Watts, Aiden Riley, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jack Spencer, Dean Terlich and Mitch White.

And another good article from Paul Amy:

Former Gold Coast Suns player Jack Hutchins has signed with the Casey Scorpions

• Like 8

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but while the Melbourne squad was over in Perth to take on Fremantle, ten Demons trained with Casey at its main training session. The players all got involved either training or by assisting with drills with the coaching staff.

They were Angus Brayshaw, James Harmes, Oscar MacDonald, Max King, Jack Watts, Aiden Riley, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jack Spencer, Dean Terlich and Mitch White.

It is a shame that the same group cannot play the Essendon NAB Challenge team instead of the Demons fronting up. It would be good match practice for all of them considering they are essentially a VFL team (i.e. Magner, Clisby etc.). Having said that, I am sure that the AFL would not grant us the concessions they grant Essendon.

I have said this before on another thread, but providing we don't have too many spuds around them, the real winner on draft night was Casey.

In the past we have had Melbourne guys who are in the VFL and playing on back flanks (Strauss, Clisby, Nicho) or half forward (Blease).

But this year we have a plethora of genuine midfielders and providing we don't get injuries,we should have handy VFL standard ruckmen to help them out.

Stretch, Neal-Bullen, Newton, Brayshaw, Riley, Toump, McKenzie, M.Jones, Vandenberg and Bail all may play in the AFL at times, but all are more than capable of going into middle for the VFL.

That's 10 midfielders with only 2-3 likely to be AFL required at any one time, so at worst we have a squad of 7 good midfielders.

Spencer is also a very good VFL ruckman and you'd expect that one of Gawn/Pedo would also be playing in the VFL each week as well.

I have said this before on another thread, but providing we don't have too many spuds around them, the real winner on draft night was Casey.

In the past we have had Melbourne guys who are in the VFL and playing on back flanks (Strauss, Clisby, Nicho) or half forward (Blease).

But this year we have a plethora of genuine midfielders and providing we don't get injuries,we should have handy VFL standard ruckmen to help them out.

Stretch, Neal-Bullen, Newton, Brayshaw, Riley, Toump, McKenzie, M.Jones, Vandenberg and Bail all may play in the AFL at times, but all are more than capable of going into middle for the VFL.

That's 10 midfielders with only 2-3 likely to be AFL required at any one time, so at worst we have a squad of 7 good midfielders.

Spencer is also a very good VFL ruckman and you'd expect that one of Gawn/Pedo would also be playing in the VFL each week as well.

And maybe even Fitzpatrick and King (plus Hunt, Harmes, O. Macdonald and maybe even Garland and Grimes on occassion)! Edited by CBDees

Does anybody know what's wrong with Fitzy? I thought he would be there.

Good to see Watts there hopefully that means he's available to play in the game against the dogs and Neal-Bullen might be closer to full fitness than I thought he would be at this time.

It is a shame that the same group cannot play the Essendon NAB Challenge team instead of the Demons fronting up. It would be good match practice for all of them considering they are essentially a VFL team (i.e. Magner, Clisby etc.). Having said that, I am sure that the AFL would not grant us the concessions they grant Essendon.

Not sure why we'd want this. Our AFL team need the match practice more than our 10 bottom players. The Essendon side may have a lot of ringins, but it does have AFL grade players playing too (Chapman et al). I'd rather see us play at full strength and pulverise them.

• Like 1