Talking point: The first half of the season to come

Whispering_Jack

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here. It might sound simplistic to say, but if we are improving, so too must nearly all other teams. The standard of the competition gets better and better each year (whether you like the way the game is heading is another matter). I find it impossible to think that other, higher resourced clubs are not also improving at the same or better rate than we are. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to read reports the club is now run professionally and training standards are on the rise. I just find it a tad early to make realistic predictions because I think that there are about 12 clubs which should be improving as well, and they all finished higher than us last year. Sorry to rain on anyone's parade.

All teams should get better but they don't. There are so many variables

Key football staff leave. If they be coaches or valued assistants or a football manager like Neil Balme or Rodney Eade

Coach stays too long. Coach loses players. Poor coaching. Out of date/poor game plan

Poor player recruitment

Injuries - Long list of out of season surgeries or in season injuries or injuries to key players

Board instability. Lack of unified direction.

Player leadership vacuum

Second class training facilities/fitness staff

To some degree all these things can effect on field performances of any club and we have suffered through most of them over the past years plus a few other issues that most on Demonland know well

We are now strong across all areas of the club. The opportunity to improve rapidly and ahead of other teams is there and I believe we will. With a reasonable first couple of games and an injection of confidence who knows what could happen

• Like 4

I disagree teams go up and down. I think Collingwood will go backwards next year as will Carlton, Essendon is anyone's guess but wouldn't surprise to see them falter especially if they cop suspensions. Geelong aren't as fearsome as they were and will struggle to maintain top 2 spot on the ladder, West Coast are hit and miss as are Adelaide and North could easily go backwards of their kids don't come on while their older players head towards retirement (Harvey, Petrol, Wells etc). I think there is scope to improve while other teams decline.

On the flip side I think the Lions will improve, GC and GWS should as well, Hawthorn will still be up and Sydney and Freo will remain hard to beat. The Saints and Dogs could go either way but I don't see much improvement from either of them this year maybe in 2016.

I'm taking a stab in the dark Dr Gonzo and guessing that like me, you've not been following all other teams training reports this pre season. In which case we are estimating 2015 ladder up and down movements based upon last year and perhaps the year before's results/form. In that case, logic says we'll be bottom two in 2015. I can only see a handful of clubs performing worse than us this year and most teams will improve, because that's the way the competition is heading. I'm finding it impossible to guess, but still excited for the year ahead like I am every year.

It will be interesting to revisit this thread mid year to see who's closest to the pin.

• Like 1

Hey OD, I've checked with a well placed contact of mine and he spake thus, "No rain on the horizon in 2015. The forecast is for sunny skies and a gentle breeze that will lift and carry the MFC into the stratosphere of finals football.

I would check your "contact " out Reverend

Hey OD, I've checked with a well placed contact of mine and he spake thus, "No rain on the horizon in 2015. The forecast is for sunny skies and a gentle breeze that will lift and carry the MFC into the stratosphere of finals football.

Another bloody drought, then Crawf?

You need to remember, especially with forecasts, that Old Dee is Hanrahan's great nephew.

• Like 1

My contact has been around even longer than you or I have OD. He sees things from an elevated position and has a pretty good handle on what's happening in the world. He said something about Paul Roos being some sort of relation and that those who have kept the faith and believe will be rewarded. Something about a second coming... but I didn't know what to make of that.

You need to remember, especially with forecasts, that Old Dee is Hanrahan's great nephew.

That's why we're training in Maroochydore. We're preparing for all contingencies. Hanrahan will never be happy but OD and the rest of us will be by year's end!

• Like 1

My contact has been around even longer than you or I have OD. He sees things from an elevated position and has a pretty good handle on what's happening in the world. He said something about Paul Roos being some sort of relation and that those who have kept the faith and believe will be rewarded. Something about a second coming... but I didn't know what to make of that.

I know you are well connected Reverend but I have heard numerous promises from those who claim the same relationship.

Usually with dismal failure.

However I will bow to your superior contact in the short term.

I see us being 3-8 with wins over GWS, Bulldogs and St Kilda.

That's no improvement on the same time last year.

However I see us having a much better second half of the season than last year and our draw is much easier.

We should be aiming for 7 wins this year. Anymore is Disneyland stuff.

• Like 1

If we make finals in 2015, that is a better achievement then went Port went from bottom to finals, That is a huge achievement! fingers crossed

Hanrahan can't be that old ... :lol: (sorry OD couldn't resist :wacko: )

I see us being 3-8 with wins over GWS, Bulldogs and St Kilda.

That's no improvement on the same time last year.

However I see us having a much better second half of the season than last year and our draw is much easier.

We should be aiming for 7 wins this year. Anymore is Disneyland stuff.

Fantasyland, adventureland or tomorrowland?

This is a maddening moment.

What I'm expecting is that we will be right in the mix for winning most games (cue the dreaded 'competitive' cliche), but in the end the wins will come only when something special happens, match-winning surges of momentum or game-defining individual efforts.

Predict that at your peril.

On the bright side, that also suggests that we shouldn't concern ourselves too much with who each opponent is; wins will come on days when our youthful variability surges in our favour, building on the Paul Roos tight and controlled game style that will keep us in games.

• Like 2

I'm anxious about this. Does this mean that we have to wait until after we die to get anything?

I'm taking a stab in the dark Dr Gonzo and guessing that like me, you've not been following all other teams training reports this pre season. In which case we are estimating 2015 ladder up and down movements based upon last year and perhaps the year before's results/form. In that case, logic says we'll be bottom two in 2015. I can only see a handful of clubs performing worse than us this year and most teams will improve, because that's the way the competition is heading. I'm finding it impossible to guess, but still excited for the year ahead like I am every year.

It will be interesting to revisit this thread mid year to see who's closest to the pin.

What do training reports really mean anyway? I'm going off recent years form and personnel changes.

• Like 1

Nah, we're going to see it sooner rather than later. We'll all be at the G whooping it up and giving OD a hammering for his lack of faith. C'mon OD the time is near.

oh no you have info from your high contact Reverend.

I don't want the time to be near

I have so much more to do.

tell it isn't so Reverend

Edited by old dee

11 games last year we led in the last qtr but ended up with only four wins. In 2012/13 Richmond managed to upset the Hawks, anything can happen. If the team runs out with a negative mindset it's already over. The win over the Crows last year was massive, in the past travelling = automatic loss.

Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 3

So many predictions I have made have been dead wrong, so I hesitate to make predictions.

Like most seasons, I am looking at making the finals. Next year I want consecutive finals. Then a flag.

Yeah I might be dreaming, but would prefer that to the defeatist attitude our supporters have had for so long. The weak clapping of "brave" defeats, cheering the boys off as they were so good to get within 2 goals.

Is it any wonder our players have had a similar attitude for so long. Any decent sportsman goes into a game believing that they can win. Our players haven't had that belief for a long time.

Self belief is a huge thing, if Roos can help the players find it, finals are possible

• Like 2

Im not going to try to predict where we will finish in the ladder but will say that anything less than 5 wins at the midway point in the season will mean we haven't taken the next step to become a real footy team. We simply must go into the second half of the season with something (finals) at stake. Otherwise it will be another wasted season where the last 10 or so games are 'practice' matches.

Im not going to try to predict where we will finish in the ladder but will say that anything less than 5 wins at the midway point in the season will mean we haven't taken the next step to become a real footy team. We simply must go into the second half of the season with something (finals) at stake. Otherwise it will be another wasted season where the last 10 or so games are 'practice' matches.

Have you looked at who we play in the first half ?

I think your expectations are a little high.