THE ESSENDON 34: ON TRIAL

Demonland

It'll mean when they do get whacked it'll be in the season proper.

I have zero issue with this.

The EFC have only themselves to blame, they are the ones who have strung out the process for months with their pointless legal actions.

This should have been over this time last year.

You reap what you sow.

• Like 5

What I would like to know is what is the AFL's Plan B. How is it going to handle the seasons point system if either EFC is dealt with prior to the opening of the season or during the season. Hopefully the season becomes an even playing field - well as much as an already compromised season can be.

What I would like to know is what is the AFL's Plan B. How is it going to handle the seasons point system if either EFC is dealt with prior to the opening of the season or during the season. Hopefully the season becomes an even playing field - well as much as an already compromised season can be.

I am still waiting for Plan A.
  • Like 4

... and after watching Lance Armstrong's performance on tv tonight, I wonder if he and James Hird were separated at birth?

I think they are the same person, I have never seen them both in the same room!

• Like 1

... and after watching Lance Armstrong's performance on tv tonight, I wonder if he and James Hird were separated at birth?

I didn't think it was possible to have a lower opinion of Armstrong... apparently I was wrong..

• Like 3

I didn't think it was possible to have a lower opinion of Armstrong... apparently I was wrong..

Armstrong/Hird seem capable of plumbing new depths of self righteousness. I am astonished every time and yet not surprised.

So much talent so few morals.

Can't hate them for what you think they may have done in the future.

Hird did it, lance may have.

Ps I don't like Armstrong and i think cycling is a stupid sport full of cheats.

I was more working backwards... ie if hirds done it to his whole team, what was he doing as a player?

It simply amazes me how impaired people's judgement and perspective can become when the subject is football. You have to really wonder in which universe can a suspension be overturned in the manner suggested in this article?

When is a suspension not a suspension?

Essendon’s 2015 preparation won’t be disrupted by AFL anti-doping hearing, says James Hird

I thought this last line was the best;

Bombers coach James Hird yesterday said he was hopeful the provisional suspensions would be lifted _ if required _ for Essendon’s three NAB Challenge games.

“It’s not really up to us. Hopefully, we will have the players to play in the NAB Cup but when the tribunal finishes, it finishes. There is not much we can do about that,” he said.

“It’s not a concern for us. These guys have been dealing with it for two years and we certainly hope it will end soon.

Hoping it will end soon? Stop dragging it out then!

• Like 1

I thought this last line was the best;

Bombers coach James Hird yesterday said he was hopeful the provisional suspensions would be lifted _ if required _ for Essendon’s three NAB Challenge games.

“It’s not really up to us. Hopefully, we will have the players to play in the NAB Cup but when the tribunal finishes, it finishes. There is not much we can do about that,” he said.

“It’s not a concern for us. These guys have been dealing with it for two years and we certainly hope it will end soon.

Hoping it will end soon? Stop dragging it out then!

His hope it will end soon makes perfect sense if you add on the words "...with a result in our favour".

Hird is worse than Armstrong.

Lance did those things to himself, Hird did this to 34 other people.

They are very similar. Hird probably has the slightly better name, just due to the fact he hasn't bullied anyone.

I think Armstrong was more dangerous. Hird tends to use legal measures as a threat, whereas Armstrong used defamation, slander and blackmail.

Both cut from the same cloth though.

• Like 1

Hird is worse than Armstrong.

Lance did those things to himself, Hird did this to 34 other people.

Bulltish armstrong did it to himself and then bullied dozens of other people into it and dozens more into silence and others into retirement. He was just as bad as Hird is niw.

• Like 1

Bulltish armstrong ... bullied dozens of other people into it ...

That is just not a factual statement. Every rider at US Postal at the time was doping before they got there, or doping to get there. In fact, almost every rider on every team was doping in one way or another at the time ... as they had done the year before, and the year before, and the year before and ...

I know this "Armstrong the ogre, corrupting innocent riders" plays well in the press, but it's just ignorant of pro cycling and its history, and has about as much credibility as Chip Le Grand's pro-Essendon articles in the Australian.

BTW, in regard to other posts above, both Bjarne Riis and Jonathan Vaughters are ex-dopers currently directing pro cycling teams, and Australia's Orica-Green Edge team is directed by two ex-dopers (White and Stephens).

• Like 1

Armstrong took his turn because everyone winning or even competing was "doing the same", he then did bully others he brought into his team to do the same or be excommunicated. He also did excommunicated others from the peloton if they spoke out. He was one of many but he was and is the biggest ogre of them all bar none.

he then did bully others he brought into his team to do the same or be excommunicated.

Not true. The riders who came onto US Postal were already doping beforehand. If you didn't dope, you didn't get the results to earn you a pro contract.

Well documented.

While I do not agree with everything he says I believe Patrick Smith is one of a very few Sporting journalists who have any integrity.

The rest are sadly conflicted by there personal loyalties and adherence to the Company line.

With the honourable exception of Caroline Wilson. Smith and her have been impeccable throughout this sorry saga.

• Like 2

The EFC have only themselves to blame, they are the ones who have strung out the process for months with their pointless legal actions.

This should have been over this time last year.

You reap what you sow.

2013. It would not have happened had Hird not stabbed his "best friend" Evans in the back. I know for a fact that the AFL and their legal and PR advisers, with the cooperation of an Evans-lead Essendon had a formula to resolve this with the support of ASADA/WADA . Once Little came to power, all this went out the window, and Hird and his wife's sociopathic personalities took over and the upshot is that it has landed the game in this mess. Demetriou was beside himself about it when it occurred because, whatever else you might say about him, he was a very astute political player, and he knew exactly what was coming down the track as a result. I believe it had a direct bearing in his leaving the AFL.

The commentary now from our tame journalists that it is not ESSENDON or the players' fault is an unbelievable joke. It is totally the responsibility of Little and Hird. The fact that most of the chattering classes can't see it is a very sad reflection on our public life and the sense of decency in our society in general.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 7

Indeed. The efforts to equate Hirds failings with Armstrong atrocities are laughable.

Oh really? I would have thought they were far worse. Armstrong only destroyed himself with a few fellow travellers. The Hirds have managed to destroy a very powerful football club and 34 "innocent" players in the process destroying most of the careers, and I predict sending the EFC into bankruptcy.

The Hirds are far worse and the consequences far greater in potentially mortally wounding a whole game than anything Armstrong did. The fact that you think otherwise is amazing.

Edited by Dees2014

He also did excommunicated others from the peloton if they spoke out.

Even this is untrue. The only rider that could even begin to be applied to was Christophe Bassons - in reality, the whole peloton wanted him out, and told him as much. Armstrong was just one of many, and relayed the message on that famous TDF stage where the whole peloton decided to ride slowly - but not tell Bassons. Bassons' biggest problems/issues were from within his own team, where the pressure on him to juice up, shut up or ship out became too much.

Not wanting to sidetrack this thread, but the Armstrong/Hird comparisons are just spurious, and even moreso when they're based on untruths. Armstrong was a kid from a trailer park who grew up with a chip on his shoulder to become a fighter and at times a thug and bully. But he wouldn't be the first elite sportsman to display those characteristics.

Much as I dislike Hird and his behaviour through all this, I would say he was just pushing the envelope, while not actually trying all that hard to make sure things were above board. At another club, at another time, where he wasn't given free reign because he was seen as the new messiah, the outcome would have been different. On the other hand, every cyclist in the 90's who doped knew exactly what they were doing and that it was illegal.

• Like 1

Oh really? I would have thought they were far worse. Armstrong only destroyed himself with a few fellow travellers. The Hirds have managed to destroy a very powerful football club and 34 "innocent" players in the process destroying most of the careers, and I predict sending the EFC into bankruptcy.

The Hirds are far worse and the consequences far greater in potentially mortally wounding a whole game than anything Armstrong did. The fact that you think otherwise is amazing.

LOL. ( I did say it was laughable!).

I am not surprised you have fantasised this bit of rubbish based on the often ludicrous "inside" scoops you sought to ply here

It's been a long saga and you really have pushed the Armageddon theories to fill the gaps to keep your excitement levels up.