• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2015 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

Whispering_Jack

I found that phantom a bit ordinary.

No one would draft Weideman at all yet alone top 10 if they thought he was the next Levi Casboult.

It only takes a few highlight videos to see Curnow is vastly different to Stringer.

Aaron Francis doesn't remind me of Goodes at all.

And not just the player comparisons but the explanations aren't spectacular either.

i wouldnt worry too much about the comparisons. Knightmare lived up to his name when he compared Toumpas to Luke Hodge

• Like 1

Carlton need a key back just as much, if not more, than they need a key forward. They won't pass on Weitering.

Their list is in too bad of a shape for them to not be taking the best available.

Fair enough, we will know soon enough.

I know a few keep mentioning the thrashing at kardinia park in 2011 but i am actually really thankful that happened. It started the ball rolling for the necessary shakeup the club needed. Unfortunately it had to take a few years to play out with further backward steps taken but it was the beginning of the spotlight being planted on the administration.

The other event I'm really grateful for happening was the tanking affair. I'm sure we will look back n years to come and see that all that drama was the beginning of the end for the unprofessional basket case that was the MFC.

I remember neeld commenting on how shite the list management meetings with barry prendegast were. he 'resigned' a few months later. neeld turned out to be a bad choice but the upheaval was a necessary step in the cleansing process the club needed.

We'll be thankful that we got so absolutely hopeless that the AFL was forced to put us in Administration.

BP didnt pick Maric, CAC did. But 5 out of 5 misses between 10 and 20 over 3 years did really hurt us. I cant really fault his early picks, I think Watts, Scully and Trengove were generally well regarded by everyone at the time. He had a decent hit rate late with Gawn, Howe, TMac, Jetta.

I know it's 20:20 hindsight but if BP had managed a 60% hit rate on those picks, which is just par, we'd be in stronger position today. Realistic alternatives at our picks:

2008: Blease, Shuey

2009: Talia, Tapscott

2010: Brodie Smith

But then again everything would be different and we may not have Hogan and Brayshaw.

I know it's 20:20 hindsight but if BP had managed a 60% hit rate on those picks, which is just par, we'd be in stronger position today. Realistic alternatives at our picks:

2008: Blease, Shuey

2009: Talia, Tapscott

2010: Brodie Smith

But then again everything would be different and we may not have Hogan and Brayshaw.

If Barry had been any good we wouldn't have Hogan, Brayshaw or Petracca.

He's clearly the architect of any future success we have.

• Like 7

I know a few keep mentioning the thrashing at kardinia park in 2011 but i am actually really thankful that happened. It started the ball rolling for the necessary shakeup the club needed. Unfortunately it had to take a few years to play out with further backward steps taken but it was the beginning of the spotlight being planted on the administration.

The other event I'm really grateful for happening was the tanking affair. I'm sure we will look back n years to come and see that all that drama was the beginning of the end for the unprofessional basket case that was the MFC.

I remember neeld commenting on how shite the list management meetings with barry prendegast were. he 'resigned' a few months later. neeld turned out to be a bad choice but the upheaval was a necessary step in the cleansing process the club needed.

My only reservation about that is that the Board seemed to be on the verge of sacking Schwab, but then because of 186 changed their minds & sacked Bailey instead. We may have been better off then if they'd stuck to their original plan, though admittedly it's impossible to know whether we'd have been better off now.

Callum Twomey's final phantom form guide is out:-

2015 draft: Final phantom form guide update

On Darcy Parish who he places at #3 overall ~

Pound for pound, Parish is as good as anyone in the draft. His dash and dare with the ball means it might be easy to see him only as a run-and-carry midfielder. But that would be to overlook his brilliance inside the contest as well, with Parish this year growing into quite a complete midfielder. He averaged 28 disposals a game at TAC Cup level this season, which included 13 contested touches. He also picked up seven clearances a game, defying his smaller frame to dig in and then burst away. The laidback Parish is a natural footballer who doesn't get flustered often, takes things in his stride and enjoys the ride. He mixes his easygoing personality with a manic drive on the field, and will be well liked because of it.

Where does he go? Melbourne is best placed to take Parish at pick three, but if not the Bombers would have to strongly consider with four and five. Gold Coast will look hard at No.6, and it's very hard to see Parish getting past Melbourne's No.7 selection.

The day potential No 1 pick Jacob Weitering doubted himself

Interesting article on Weitering. A shame Carltank have pick 1.

"Dad probably had the potential to make AFL, but back in those days football was kind of your second job. You'd have to work five full days a week and fit training in around that. Dad didn't really have the drive to do that I guess. He had my mum and work was important to him and 23 years later it still is. I think it was just different times, but both my parents have always encouraged me to do what I love to do. I still remember Dad helping me pick out my team when I was five. He read out the names of all the AFL teams one day and got down to Melbourne Demons and I said 'I like the sound of that, that's my favourite team now'."

The day potential No 1 pick Jacob Weitering doubted himself

Interesting article on Weitering. A shame Carltank have pick 1.

"Dad probably had the potential to make AFL, but back in those days football was kind of your second job. You'd have to work five full days a week and fit training in around that. Dad didn't really have the drive to do that I guess. He had my mum and work was important to him and 23 years later it still is. I think it was just different times, but both my parents have always encouraged me to do what I love to do. I still remember Dad helping me pick out my team when I was five. He read out the names of all the AFL teams one day and got down to Melbourne Demons and I said 'I like the sound of that, that's my favourite team now'."

I can't wait until he requests a trade to us at the end of 2017.

• Like 1

We may as well start contract negotiations with weitering now :) in all seriousness though i think any top 10 draft pick should be locked into a three year term, allow the players the chance to really settle in before Hawthorn rocks up

We may as well start contract negotiations with weitering now :) in all seriousness though i think any top 10 draft pick should be locked into a three year term, allow the players the chance to really settle in before Hawthorn rocks up

I'm not sure I agree with locking players in for a certain length of time based on where they're picked in the draft. I do think that the issue of players nominating which club they want to be traded to is absolutely ridiculous, though.

I think the way to fix it is for clubs to be allowed to trade players based on what's the best deal for the club, rather than for the player. Introduce an offer-sheet type system whereby if a club signs an RFA, they have to directly compensate the team RFA came from with high draft picks.

This encourages young players to remain at their club until they become a UFA, otherwise they could end up somewhere less desirable than they already are. It also helps maintain stability in the competition by ensuring that clubs have to give something up in order to sign an RFA.

Seems to be a fair bit different than any of the others I've seen. What do you think of it, Chaser?

I do get a bit tired of everyone spouting identical rankings, so it's nice to see Emma's got a little of her own spin here. Might be just me, but seems like she's doing it a bit more now (McNamara, Sibosado examples exceptions perhaps). Rankings aside, the profiles are pretty decent too.

The recruiters rank the kids differently, so it stands to reason the pundits should too. I think it perhaps helps to highlight that the perceived gap between Parish and the other midfielders isn't as large as made out. I also like that she has Ah Chee a little bit higher than others have him, and corollary to Emma's rankings, I think Milera may have bigger upside than Parish (though wonder if his heart issue will have any bearing on him building his tank).

As Olisik might attest to, Oliver is gaining traction as the Paddy Cripps of this draft, and his game might be the one that translates to AFL the quickest, given his frame and game style. Might the one that Terry Wallace describes as 'bomb proof' from this draft, so his ranking at 10 doesn't feel too high at the moment.

• Like 2

It's still very much her own subjective view and while I would disagree with her on a few counts, it's still going to be close to the mark.

Her first half dozen are made up of Weitering, Schache and four academy selections so they're effectively out of the ambit of Melbourne's selections.

Then follow Aaron Francis, Sam Weidman, Wayne Milera, Clayton Oliver, Darcy Parish and Charlie Curnow. I would be very surprised if our two first round picks didn't come out of that group.

The AFL has announced that next year's Under 18s will incorporate an Allies team representing the northern states, Tasmania and NT which I think is a great idea.

I think Quayle has possibly rated the academy players too highly given that they have generally been seen competing in the Second Division of the carnival (some do play occasional TAC Cup games) where the competition is not strong. Hence, we really don't have a direct point of comparison with those who played in the First Division.

• Like 2

It's still very much her own subjective view and while I would disagree with her on a few counts, it's still going to be close to the mark.

Her first half dozen are made up of Weitering, Schache and four academy selections so they're effectively out of the ambit of Melbourne's selections.

Then follow Aaron Francis, Sam Weidman, Wayne Milera, Clayton Oliver, Darcy Parish and Charlie Curnow. I would be very surprised if our two first round picks didn't come out of that group.

The AFL has announced that next year's Under 18s will incorporate an Allies team representing the northern states, Tasmania and NT which I think is a great idea.

I think Quayle has possibly rated the academy players too highly given that they have generally been seen competing in the Second Division of the carnival (some do play occasional TAC Cup games) where the competition is not strong. Hence, we really don't have a direct point of comparison with those who played in the First Division.

Hipwood is the bolter of the group. The 3 mids are right up there though. Hopper dominated the TAC cup all year, Mills the NEAFL as a 17 year old and Kennedy played senior bush footy. I don't think any of them woud've struggled in the top Division under 18's.

Given the next pure midfielder on her list is Oliver who's another big strong inside mid who also hasn't tested himself at the top junior level it's not that unreasonable.

More for interest's sake than an actual draft guide:

Brett's Final 2015 AFL Draft Big Board

It continues to worry me that we've doubled up in a draft where our pick 7 is actually going to give us the 11th or 12th best player. Does anyone know what next year's academy kids are like?

Thankfully we have pick 3 and our second pick isn't 40 something. Imagine the worry for you then.

I thought I might return to the earlier days of this thread to check out where some of the players were ranked and it's interesting to note how highly fancied Aaron Francis was around May/June before the Weitering/Schache combo became set in stone for picks 1/2.

Francis was at his height of popularity and in good form then, playing mainly in defence where his marking power was outstanding. Since then, he's dropped in the rankings after some so/so performances in the later Under 18 games and I believe he was injured later in the year.

Now, as you know, I'm not a big fan of the highlights reel but at last night's trade and draft meeting, the vision that was shown of him was mostly as a forward and mightily impressive. That was from the game against WA which was fairly weak this year but it certainly required a bit of a rethink. Still, he was pretty much towelled up by the stronger defenders of SA in their game.

Charlie Curnow's highlights were most impressive as well but we know he also went quiet after his injury.

Which all leads me inescapably back to Darcy Parish. Some have said that there's no point of difference with him but I disagree - there's not a player at Melbourne who I can compare him to - he is one of those who instinctively knows where to be and his ability to get to the fall of the ball ahead of opponents is exquisite. He is one player I can see Roos/McCartney/Goodwin building on what he already has and moulding him into a real footballer.

• Like 5

I notice that this morning the HUN ran a two page spread of Gary Buck's draft suggestions.

Only one problem they used a version from before the final order was established.

Have the MFC at 3 and 10.

Opps!

One would think that with none of them at the AFL New York Junket and no one at the WADA appeal there would be plenty to check that the correct version was published.

I thought I might return to the earlier days of this thread to check out where some of the players were ranked and it's interesting to note how highly fancied Aaron Francis was around May/June before the Weitering/Schache combo became set in stone for picks 1/2.

Francis was at his height of popularity and in good form then, playing mainly in defence where his marking power was outstanding. Since then, he's dropped in the rankings after some so/so performances in the later Under 18 games and I believe he was injured later in the year.

Now, as you know, I'm not a big fan of the highlights reel but at last night's trade and draft meeting, the vision that was shown of him was mostly as a forward and mightily impressive. That was from the game against WA which was fairly weak this year but it certainly required a bit of a rethink. Still, he was pretty much towelled up by the stronger defenders of SA in their game.

Charlie Curnow's highlights were most impressive as well but we know he also went quiet after his injury.

Which all leads me inescapably back to Darcy Parish. Some have said that there's no point of difference with him but I disagree - there's not a player at Melbourne who I can compare him to - he is one of those who instinctively knows where to be and his ability to get to the fall of the ball ahead of opponents is exquisite. He is one player I can see Roos/McCartney/Goodwin building on what he already has and moulding him into a real footballer.

Can I change my vote on the other thread? Ha,ha