Michael Evans Delisted

reynolds46

The angst over Evans is way, way over the top. Pickles best is good, not great but certainly better than is what being said here.

He had a poor year last year and has been injury prone but it would take little improvement on his behalf to make him a valuable contributor to the team

The desire to see what is hidden under pick 40 seems almost irresistible to some

• Like 3

The angst over Evans is way, way over the top. Pickles best is good, not great but certainly better than is what being said here.

He had a poor year last year and has been injury prone but it would take little improvement on his behalf to make him a valuable contributor to the team

The desire to see what is hidden under pick 40 seems almost irresistible to some

I agree he's not that bad or too far off.

But we all like Jones, Cross, Tyson, Vince, Viney, Lumumba (half back maybe) as starters in the midfield right? Plus Watts for what he's worth. Then the half forward spots we like guys like Howe, Salem, Garlett and even JKH or Bail right?

That's the 11 running players that fill the best 22. After that it's likely Brayshaw as pick 2 is pretty high in the pecking order. Then Matt Jones, Toumpas, Newton (for a better side), Michie, Riley, McKenzie and Barry all finished ahead of Evans for games played or a spot in the team at seasons end. I doubt he'll play much next year either but Stretch will be groomed for a spot on the wing as well. And Trengove would be ahead of him if fit.

Now the difference between someone like Matt Jones who's been a regular of late or Watts or whoever else (besides the established mids) is pretty negligible. But unless given an opportunity Evans wont even demonstrate if he is up to it. Now a dominant preseason and then a spell of good games will get him that chance, but if we rate so many ahead of him now why is it likely to change?

Pick 40 could be another developing tall. It could be a pacy player or skilled player. Or it could be a star. With 8 or 9 midfielders of similar type currently sitting ahead of Evans on the depth chart so to speak I don't really see how pick 40 isn't the wiser option.

If he does stay on the list I'd actually be keen to reinvent him anyway. Small inside midfielder or poorly skilled outside midfielder, neither of them really work for me. I'd rather him tried more as a defensive forward (he's got nice hands), as a tagger or even as back up to Jetta in the role of small defender.

• Like 1

For those critical of Evans go back and look at the last quarter where we kicked 12 goals against GWS (think it was 2012) - his run and carry assisted with that win. He does seem to be better at attack rather than the defensive side though.

For those critical of Evans go back and look at the last quarter where we kicked 12 goals against GWS (think it was 2012) - his run and carry assisted with that win. He does seem to be better at attack rather than the defensive side though.

So... He'll be handy if we want to beat up on a team of underdeveloped kids who run out of puff in the final quarter and give away a heap of dubious free kicks.

• Like 2

You can't assess on a performance against an expansion side 2years ago.

More relevant to watch his senior games for us this year. They were stinkers.

• Like 2

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35377-michael-evans-in-2014/?hl=%2Bmichael+%2Bevans

Most were upbeat about Evans at the end of 2013, some even labelling him a future star. He was as I mentioned earlier a player who was actually travelling on the right trajectory and looked as if he could be regular best 22. If you were going to criticise MFC list management decision there would be many more I would have in front of the Pickles contract. It is a cheap shot with the benefit of hindsight, unless of course you were incredibly intuitive and criticised the decision to re-contract him at the time.

2014 was a really bad year for him. In reality regardless of whether he remains on our list or not he is pushing it uphill and will need a resurrection of Jetta proportions to be on any AFL list after next year.

I think Evans has more chance of a resurrection than Tapscott.

Tapscott, I think, will be the real loser from the acquisition of Newton.

If they were to rookie one delisted player, I think that player will be Evans.

He can find the footy, has some courage, neat skills, but can butcher it at times.

ND40 is going to be a speculative player but I still think the club will use that pick.

I like the kid but he is cooked imo. I don't like the idea of cancelling someones contract halfway through and rookie listing them but I think it must be completed here.

Doesn't get the pill enough as a mid and isn't skilled enough to be a HFF.

Wish him all the best and will always be fond of his first game Vs the Saints where he went ok and of course when he over-ran the kids and snagged a couple.

Would much rather role the dice on pick 40 if there is someone we like.

• Like 1

I think Evans has more chance of a resurrection than Tapscott.

Tapscott, I think, will be the real loser from the acquisition of Newton.

If they were to rookie one delisted player, I think that player will be Evans.

He can find the footy, has some courage, neat skills, but can butcher it at times.

ND40 is going to be a speculative player but I still think the club will use that pick.

Perhaps the issue with Evans is whether he's a bit like Blease in that he's fine if all he has to do is attack, but is lacking in the defensive side of his game. I didn't watch him closely enough last year to be sure of this, but it could well be the problem.

That's an area where Tappy would be ahead of him.

Barry's retirement has saved the career of Tapscott IMO.

I think he will be taken at RD20 if not taken before, no contracted player will be delisted, and we will use ND53 for Jetta, and use RD2 for a new player.

I think you are probably right but I can't see the point persisting with Tapscott. As you have mentioned earlier having the 12 month rookie contract gives us more flexibility than the primary list 2 year contract.

• Like 2

I would suggest Evans stays now thanks to Barry.

Pick 40 and RD 2 gives us two shots at finding more kids. Added to Stretch and the 2 first rounders that's 5 new kids (most likely 18 year olds) in to the club. To go with 5 last year it's 10 of 44 in their first 2 years. I think that's an appropriate profile for a rebuilding team.

Whether we go with Tapscott or not surely has to be a best available discussion when RD20 rolls around. A genuine 50/50 depending on how well he trains in the next few weeks and who's available come the pick.

All these promissing types. Show something then sign a generous contract renewal then disappear. We have been plagued by them

I'm sorry ADC, but i wouldn't have called Barry a promising type. Never saw anything all that impressive about him as a footy player. I would've preferred Nick Rippon instead of Barry at the time of the Hogan deal.

Although Rippon has gone the way of Serhat Temel and never been heard of again, i reckon he would've given a footy career a better shake than Dom Barry.

I would suggest Evans stays now thanks to Barry.

Pick 40 and RD 2 gives us two shots at finding more kids. Added to Stretch and the 2 first rounders that's 5 new kids (most likely 18 year olds) in to the club. To go with 5 last year it's 10 of 44 in their first 2 years. I think that's an appropriate profile for a rebuilding team.

Whether we go with Tapscott or not surely has to be a best available discussion when RD20 rolls around. A genuine 50/50 depending on how well he trains in the next few weeks and who's available come the pick.

Disagree. If Evans is not in our long term plans then we should move him on now and find someone who might be.

The more picks you have the more chances you have of finding a good footballer.

There could be a talented young or slightly older but experienced player out there, who could care out a career with us and we have the opportunity to find out with a pretty decent pick at 53.

• Like 8

Disagree. If Evans is not in our long term plans then we should move him on now and find someone who might be.

The more picks you have the more chances you have of finding a good footballer.

There could be a talented young or slightly older but experienced player out there, who could care out a career with us and we have the opportunity to find out with a pretty decent pick at 53.

You had high hopes for him Redleg have you changed your opinion?

What a load of carp about pickles having a bad year at Casey.

Everyone who played for Casey except Gawn had a shocker.

Give the guy a fair go.

Everyone who ended up being promoted to the seniors didn't perform.

It just shows that if Casey plays carp football they bring that with them.

What a load of carp about pickles having a bad year at Casey.

Everyone who played for Casey except Gawn had a shocker.

Give the guy a fair go.

Everyone who ended up being promoted to the seniors didn't perform.

It just shows that if Casey plays carp football they bring that with them.

Jetta progressed well and established himself within the best 22.

Hard to find an excuse for him going backwards

I'm sorry ADC, but i wouldn't have called Barry a promising type. Never saw anything all that impressive about him as a footy player. I would've preferred Nick Rippon instead of Barry at the time of the Hogan deal.

Although Rippon has gone the way of Serhat Temel and never been heard of again, i reckon he would've given a footy career a better shake than Dom Barry.

Was talking about Evans. Agree about Barry. Far too many players get generous 2nd time around contracts from us after a few promising games. Edited by america de cali