Sam Blease wants out

Grimes Times

I'm not a fan of Blease, if we get steak knives for him we will have won IMO.

But lets not get too critical. Melbourne's game plan this year led to 6 games where we scored less than 40 points. I don't think we kicked 100 points once. We were the lowest scoring team in the comp.

If you think our game plan is the same as PA or Richmond I think you're wrong. If you think it's purely personnel I think you're wrong.

Sam should have bought in, no doubt. But like him, I don't like our game plan.

Roos made it pretty clear that he planned to stop us leaking goals. And to an extent he managed to achieve that.

He also had to operate with a third world forward line. Players couldn't go forward with any confidence whatsoever.

Roos game plan is incremental. With a list that was both decimated and poor he did ok with increment 1. The footy isn't sexy but it is hard nosed and honest (most of the time).

We are still paying for the years when the wrong type of footballer was recruited to play the wrong type of football and this will take a lot to correct. We had a chance and unfortunately we [censored] it away. We simply do not have a list that is yet capable of playing the sexy footy that P.A play yet.

I thought Clark kicked four that game he broke down against GWS? My memory is rubbish.

who knows, i forget, i thought he might of but my memory of him is fading. My therapist will be pleased.

Now for the next item on the list of 'Things Barracking for the MFC has Required Me to Have Therapy for...'

on-the-road-scroll2.jpg

• Like 3

Kicked 4 in the 1st quarter

That's right. I remember thinking he'd kick 10 that day. He was dominating his opponents and then went down during that second quarter. It seemed pretty innocuous at the time.

Anyway, that's a nice little tangent, best saved for the MC thread.

Some whispers have come through.. Blease is finding it had to find a new club, and is regretting what he said yesterday.

He has had ZERO interest from any afl club, another high draft pick gone!

Clubs are now waiting for players to be delisted. That way they can pick them up for free as a delisted FA.

If Blease is delisted some clubs will show interest as there would be minimal risk for that club.

People ignore stats when it suits them and use them when it suits them.

I watch a lot of footy. We played boring unadventurous footy in contrast to many other clubs. We scored less in 2014 than 2013 with what most would have said was a much better list - Cross, Tyson, Vince for starters.

I hear that Roos says our game is built on defense and I hear that we've only instituted part of his game plan - building blocks if you like, but I want to see the other half this coming year.

I can understand that someone like Blease didn't like it. I don't support him in that attitude but lets not kid ourselves that our game plan is anythhng but bog ugly and not much fun for the players to play.

Then compare that with someone like PA, NM and Richmond. Even Brissy play attacking footy and with a list that was ravaged with injury and a team that on paper wasn't as good as ours had a much more successful season.

There's little question that Roos' plan is staged and that we should see something considerably different next year and that will be made more possible with the changed personnel. But on that note, what I didn't understand was why, having successfully (at least to an extent) developed our new defensive game plan, we then went even more defensive instead of going the other way and playing more attacking football which I believe definitely cost us the Brisbane game and even possibly the GWS game? I think it had something to do with the fact that our personnel weren't up to it in terms of their ability to run. Sam Blease can look terrific on the burst but he doesn't run hard enough particularly when defending. For his sake, I hope that if he gets another chance elsewhere that he can develop an engine because I think he can play footy.

Some whispers have come through.. Blease is finding it had to find a new club, and is regretting what he said yesterday.

Which makes proposed trades for blokes like Merrett all the more ridiculous.

Surely someone will pick him up. If Gysberts can get another chance..

Although maybe that experiment is what is scaring them away.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard through a relative of his that Geelong was looking promising FWIW....

Roos made it pretty clear that he planned to stop us leaking goals. And to an extent he managed to achieve that.

He also had to operate with a third world forward line. Players couldn't go forward with any confidence whatsoever.

Roos game plan is incremental. With a list that was both decimated and poor he did ok with increment 1. The footy isn't sexy but it is hard nosed and honest (most of the time).

We are still paying for the years when the wrong type of footballer was recruited to play the wrong type of football and this will take a lot to correct. We had a chance and unfortunately we [censored] it away. We simply do not have a list that is yet capable of playing the sexy footy that P.A play yet.

sounds sexy

Edited by thedeeman

I heard through a relative of his that Geelong was looking promising FWIW....

Delisted by the end of the year, seems to stubborn.

• 3 weeks later...