Patrick McCartin

Whispering_Jack

The MFC need two midfielders who have captained their respective sides, are workaholics, self-driven die hards who will do anything to be the very best. Two mids who possess a number of attributes. They must have skill. They must be able to win and have the desire to win their own ball.

Agree, but look where it got us last time ... (Scully/Trengove).

Not saying it would happen again, but I don't know ... wonder whether they mightn't do a Draft Day (watch the film if you haven't already) and pull someone out of left field and take Lever.

• Like 1

Both kids would have been stars if a real club had pick 1 and 2 that year

The proof is in the pudding.

Would've , could've , should've doesn't cut it with me.

• Like 3

Even if Roos is anti talls it doesn't mean he can't be persuaded or even overruled on picking a tall. I remember Danny Frawley saying he was overruled by the recruiters when he wanted Pavlich and they went for Fiora, so it can happen.

Hence my saying to take it with a grain of salt, which means he may very well take a tall despite a preference for mids.

Both kids would have been stars if a real club had pick 1 and 2 that year

sorry mate but this epitomises the illogical statement.

They can and only will be what they are. One is blacmange and overly paid. Hardly with us long enough ( thankgod ) to worry over. The other an injury hampered career....and thats our fault ?

Neither are stars and thats their lot.

Hey weren't you two on the other "not the B&S thread? Or have I had one red too many tonight?

Sorry I do not compute with the bold statement! We like to spread ourselves around EH (maybe I'll just call you Holden)

From Paige Cardona's recent Phantom Draft:

A player of Patrick McCartins standing is unlikely to slip past Melbournes compensation pick here at pick three, and there are plenty of reasons why. Touted as the number one pick for the majority of the year, McCartin could be the perfect partner in crime alongside Jesse Hogan, laying the foundations for the Demons forward line for the next decade. McCartin is a genuine, old-fashioned full forward. He busts through packs, takes big contested grabs, inspires with his courage and is always the source of headaches for the opposition. He likes to treat opposition players as if he were going ten pin bowling: he has no regard for his own safety, and his aggression and physicality goes unmatched. McCartin relishes body-on-body contact, and is near unbeatable nor moveable one-on-one. He loves to drag his opponent to the goal square where he puts his contested marking ability to full use, but his quick turn of foot and smart leading patterns means that he is a focal target up forward, capable of taking any oppositions best defender. Hampered by small injuries throughout the year, McCartin hasnt gotten the love or hype he deserves, which is great news for Melbourne fans.

Seems like he would complement Hogan really well too with Hogan being more of a mobile CHF type and McCartin as an inside 50 player.

I like this appraisal a lot. In analysing our situation, we DESPERATELY need another KPF. However, having said that I would like to hope that the following scenarios might play out.

If St. Kilda take Mc Cartin at pick one then we must take both Petracca and Brayshaw with picks 2,3. I wouldn't take any other of the talls mooted at 2 or 3 because in my view Mc Cartin is the standout. No one else comes close.

If this situation occurs then I would take the best available KPF at pick 40

If St; Kilda take Petracca then we take Brayshaw and then Mc Cartin.

One other thing, I notice JUICE'S name has come up and if my mail is correct, a couple of clubs are considering him with a late draft pick and why not? 55 odd goals and premiership player with Norwood this year and at 27, would be a good pick up!

St. Kilda are likely to take Petracca although they might continue to think long and hard about McCartin. They need to groom another key forward to replace Riewoldt when he eventually goes but I think they will conclude that can wait and, with picks 21 & 22, they're a chance to pick up Reece McKenzie from the Northern Knights.

I don't think McCartin is in the mix for 2 or 3 at Melbourne. We have Dawes and Hogan to come in and we've retained Jack Fitzpatrick who will be interesting to observe on return to training in terms of how the fitness and conditioning guys have gone about working on his body shape.

Paul Roos has made it abundantly plain that we need more work on our midfield and that's where the emphasis will surely be with our drafting. Brayshaw would have to be a lock and the third pick would have to be down to Jake Lever, a defender who some think might be turned into a tall (now 194cm) midfielder* after being out of action with an ACL in 2014 or Jayden Laverde who seems to have all the skills and can play midfield and up forward and is a good height at 189cm tall.

* Knightmare ~ "Midfield potential I cannot help but think there could be some scope to possibly pinch-hit through the midfield down the track if a club wants him to. He seems to have the cleanness below the knees, aggression and attack on the ball and also some reasonable evasiveness. He can run and carry the footy and use it cleanly and offensively by hand, looking comfortable with ball in hand. So he ticks the boxes from a trait standpoint and at his height if he can put all those things together then he could have an impact."

• Like 5

I've seen some silly statements on DL in the past but this one takes the cake.

Unless of course it was a poor red!

Yes BB. Can only assume the same myself!

But you don't seem to grasp that it's not as easy as that. Not many players want to come to Melbourne if there are other clubs interested, and certainly not elite players.

Also, what guns?

your not grasping that we have to have a real go to get a mature tall... and that Roosy likes to recruit mature talls.

we need to really drive hard to improve our mids both thru the draft & via trade. all the differing roles throughout the midfield, from in-unders to quick running mids. the fact we have a number of mids just doesn't cover that we do not have enough very good ones, or better than that.

Its only by continually bringing more mids in progressively, that we'll churn the mids thru our list, until we end up with a great midfield group.

I've seen some silly statements on DL in the past but this one takes the cake.

Unless of course it was a poor red!

Yes you are right silly of me, the result of a couple of bottles of Mendoza Malbec, good wine but it can fog your mind at times. And at the time I seemed to be seeing Clint and BBO in every thread, thus my confused state. Maybe I need to find another vintage?

I like this appraisal a lot. In analysing our situation, we DESPERATELY need another KPF. However, having said that I would like to hope that the following scenarios might play out.

If St. Kilda take Mc Cartin at pick one then we must take both Petracca and Brayshaw with picks 2,3. I wouldn't take any other of the talls mooted at 2 or 3 because in my view Mc Cartin is the standout. No one else comes close.

If this situation occurs then I would take the best available KPF at pick 40

If St; Kilda take Petracca then we take Brayshaw and then Mc Cartin.

One other thing, I notice JUICE'S name has come up and if my mail is correct, a couple of clubs are considering him with a late draft pick and why not? 55 odd goals and premiership player with Norwood this year and at 27, would be a good pick up!

Ahh yes the infamous PF sources..

Same one that said Frawley is a done deal to Geelong?

Or that one where Mark Thompson was set to be announced as GC coach?

Or again the Frawley one where Freo was next in line if not Geelong?

Yeah nah your sources are full of it im sorry

Edited by dazzledavey36

Were Terlich and Georgiou premiership players with Norwood?

• Like 1

One McCartin/Brayshaw positive is they clearly like each other, if there twitter is anything to go by.

Even if Roos is anti talls it doesn't mean he can't be persuaded or even overruled on picking a tall. I remember Danny Frawley saying he was overruled by the recruiters when he wanted Pavlich and they went for Fiora, so it can happen.

Persuaded maybe. I would suggest that Roos is overruled on nothing...( at least not recruiting decisions)

• Like 1

McCartin is definitely a full foward-esk type player which would complement Hogan (who IMO is clearly a CHF) who loves getting up the ground.

I don't think McCartin will do much in year 1 when drafted (happy to be proven wrong).

Comments saying he's 'ready to go' .......... Bollocks!

He may have the size required but he doesn't have the tank to do what's required at AFL level straight up nor play out the whole year. This will mean his output will be restricted and game time limited.

My gut feel is he could potentially be either of these two types of players ......

• Plugger (Goal freak)
  • Lance Whitnall (Who?)

The 2nd options is a potential reality :unsure:

He appears to carry a lot of puppy fat from the youtube clips I've seen, a big lad amongst much smaller kids!!

He would need a lot of development to be AFL ready!!!! I do like the look of him tho!

Persuaded maybe. I would suggest that Roos is overruled on nothing...( at least not recruiting decisions)

God has power of Veto I'd suspect :roos:

• Like 1

I know that Roos is involved in the decision making and has personally interviewed some of the potential candidates.

Edited by jabberwocky

I know that Roos is involved in the decision making and has personally interviewed some of the potential candidates.

Roos appears to me a person who would take in everyone's opinion and make them feel valued and then guide you to come to the exact same opinion as he holds.

• Like 7

This Callum Toomey is an interesting one:

McCartin was diagnosed as a type-1 diabetic when he was nine. It means he has no use of his pancreas, which produces insulin

Well not exactly. He still has a heap of other pancreatic functions

Without five or six injections of insulin each day, type-1 diabetics can accumulate dangerous chemical substances in their blood.

Well yes, those dangerous chemical substances = glucose = run of the mill sugar in the blood

Then he goes on to describe McCartin stuffing up his insulin and having a seizure. It happens to most young diabetics every now and then if they aren't really careful. Not a great thing to happen but usually if your head is switched on right (ie. you want to be a professional athlete) you don't let it happen too often.

The childhood anxiety is interesting. It tells you not to judge a book by the cover. He certainly doesn't play like he's anxious.

Anyway. Some interesting stories. Good on him for opening up. I like the kid. Whether we take him or not I hope he does well.

• Like 2

Roos appears to me a person who would take in everyone's opinion and make them feel valued and then guide you to come to the exact same opinion as he holds.

These are not the picks you are looking for.

• Like 2