Will the Demons get pick 3?

Demon trucker

Ok, you're Roos and you don't have a functioning midfield - what is more value to you;

1. A CHB, pushed/pulled out of the backline on around 6% of the salary cap?

OR

2. Pick 3 in the ND that can be used to acquire a ready made midfielder or a midfielder of the future?

I think there is grey here - Dunn was a free agent but very wanted by the club, he stayed.

I really question how highly Frawley was rated by Roos and co.

• Like 7

As for this half-pregnant Free Agency - it was implemented poorly by the AFL (shock, horror) and requires tweaking with other regulations to make the competition more competitive.

With that said - FA has been an interesting bag for us - we have lost Moloney and Rivers as they declined, gained Byrnes as he did the same and managed to turn Sylvia into Vince which is a massive win for the club.

If Pick 3 and the extra money gets us something valuable - are we working well in the new paradigm?

• Like 3

Ok, you're Roos and you don't have a functioning midfield - what is more value to you;

OR

2. Pick 3 in the ND that can be used to acquire a ready made midfielder or a midfielder of the future?

I think there is grey here - Dunn was a free agent but very wanted by the club, he stayed.

I agree, mate. He was clearly deemed expendable. Dunn was going to come a lot cheaper, is a better kick and arguably more versatile. Frawley had been a terrific one-on-one defender in the past, but there are more pressing needs.

OR

i dont :rolleyes:

OR

Frawley's value really depends on the club's position.

To a struggling side like ours his ability to neutralise a key fwd is less important than our ability to win the footy and move it across the ground.

To a top 4 side he is able to neutralise the impact of the opposition's key fwd. E.g. He can be the difference btw a premiership or not.

For FA compensation to work the AFL must take into account the non financial incentive the successful club is offering. Maybe compensation should be based on the largest contract offered?

The only handouts here are going to the top teams.

We are being compensated for a loss of investment.

How about the most succesful person in your suburb gets to take your house under "free agency". A house that you've just spent years renovating and improving having also spent time and money in the analysis in choosing it in the first place.

Is it a handout that that you get compensation that doesn't even replace what you had but only allows you some opportunity to start from the beginning all over again? Reanalyzing, hoping to choose correctly and then renovating and developing. We are being given nothing other than some cockamamey reduced opportunity to try to somehow replace what we already had, a lot of which will be at our own time and expense.

Seriously mate, I'm all for digging in and and doing the hard yards but to say handout? Seriously!

Is Frawley in an open market worth a trade for pick 3? No. Yet people will whine if we do not receive this for him even though he is actually not worth that under normal trade circumstance. There is a reason it has been stated that there should be no return pick on FA because it is a handout. I would say pick 3 for Frawley is well above his value and as such we should feel KOTD if based on a formula and our current ladder position that is what we receive.

I would hazard a guess that our PP was denied due to the expectation of pick 3 compensation for Frawley.

Pick 3 is an anomalous result for Frawley, but given we were probably entitled to the PP but denied it, I'm expecting there was an assurance made to us to insure any borderline results from this "formula" give us pick 3.

If all we get is pick 21 it's a terrible look as well. I assume we'd then launch a case for "special consideration" as Hawthorn did last year. The AFL conceded they received the highest possible band of compensation allowable given the structure of the rules.

It would be flat out embarrassing if freaking Higgins compensation is only 5 picks worse than ours for Frawley. Kid is an absolute dud who can't get on the park. Frawley an AA key defender who we couldn't price match because the AFL changed the freaking rules after we signed his contract.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 2

Is Frawley in an open market worth a trade for pick 3? No. Yet people will whine if we do not receive this for him even though he is actually not worth that under normal trade circumstance. There is a reason it has been stated that there should be no return pick on FA because it is a handout. I would say pick 3 for Frawley is well above his value and as such we should feel KOTD if based on a formula and our current ladder position that is what we receive.

In an open market Petracca is not worth pick one but that's what he will go for. Against the other draft hopefuls Frawley's value is well and truly a pick one, he's a proven player and with Clark probably the most valuable player traded this year unless Dangerfield really does come into the mix.

• Like 3

I don't. The day he left Roosy gave an angry press conference about the inequality of FA. Fair assumption he was pretty peeved to lose a senior key position player when you've just finished 17th

Honestly I would prefer to have kept him rather than get pick 3. Pick 3 is just some maybe kid in a few years. We need strength right now. If we get a lower pick than 3 it is a royal shafting indeed.

• Like 4

I don't. The day he left Roosy gave an angry press conference about the inequality of FA. Fair assumption he was pretty peeved to lose a senior key position player when you've just finished 17th

Honestly I would prefer to have kept him rather than get pick 3. Pick 3 is just some maybe kid in a few years. We need strength right now. If we get a lower pick than 3 it is a royal shafting indeed.

I don't think Roos would agree. If we are looking for a premier mid - Pick 3 is a great deal more valuable than Frawley.

Roos' exposition on the de-equalisation of the league was fairly and squarely aimed at the League offices charged with giving us our compensation.

In an open market Petracca is not worth pick one but that's what he will go for. Against the other draft hopefuls Frawley's value is well and truly a pick one, he's a proven player and with Clark probably the most valuable player traded this year unless Dangerfield really does come into the mix.

I have no doubt Frawley will return to AA form at the Hawks and be one of the best defenders in the comp for the next 5 years. Look at the shambles of a club he has played at for the last 3 seasons and the lack of care/will he had in 2012. This year he played mostly up forward.

• Like 2

I don't think Roos would agree. If we are looking for a premier mid - Pick 3 is a great deal more valuable than Frawley.

Roos' exposition on the de-equalisation of the league was fairly and squarely aimed at the League offices charged with giving us our compensation.

So in the absence of FA do we have a better chance of landing a decent mid by trading out Frawley or trading pick 3?

MELBOURNE is supremely confident Hawthorn’s five-year deal for James Frawley on around $600,000 a season will see it receive pick three as compensation.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-is-confident-it-will-receive-pick-three-as-james-frawley-departs-for-hawthorn/story-fn69a32t-1227079537457

Hopefully true.

wow

5 years at 600k

You can lock in pick 3 folks

• Like 1

MFCSS in me wont allow me to believe it till confirmed.

Post that sums up the general consensus on the Hawthorn board at BF...

625k would make him just about our highest payed player. There is no way we would have offered anything that doesn't fit in with our pay structure. You can't ask blokes to take unders to stay together and then start offering overs to lure FAs. I'd think the figure of 450k that has been thrown around is a lot closer to the mark.

450k for Frawley? LOL.

These idiots do realise the salary cap will increase by about $1.5 within the next 4 years? $600k is nothing in 2018.

Can't believe that is so. I mean, it is, but I find the idea of earning $600k p/a at 26 unfathomable. Obviously I followed a different path to AFL players. Might have had something to do with a lack of footballing ability. But I digress...

I like that we have Adelaide over a barrel. We don't have to pay overs for Danger, because if we've convinced him to come to us, all we have to do is offer them a better deal than what they'd get as compensation for when he leaves next year (unless compo gets scrapped, in which case they get nothing).

We're already seeing the campaign against compensation start, and that'll only hit fever pitch if Frawley nets us pick 3.