Will the Demons get pick 3?

Demon trucker

Does anybody else have the feeling that we're not gointo get the compensation we expect for James Frawley if he goes to Hawthorn?

He will not be going there on big money, and I don't trust the AFL to look after the Demons. They don't care at all and if Mark Evans has anything to do with the compensation we are going to get he will not look after us. He has a vendetta against Melbourne, because he is too close to Hawthorn. Being a unrestricted free agent, Melbourne has no control on what he will be offered by rival clubs, I think we are going to get something like pick 20.

Does anybody else have the feeling that we're not gointo get the compensation we expect for James Frawley if he goes to Hawthorn?

He will not be going there on big money, and I don't trust the AFL to look after the Demons. They don't care at all and if Mark Evans has anything to do with the compensation we are going to get he will not look after us. He has a vendetta against Melbourne, because he is too close to Hawthorn. Being a unrestricted free agent, Melbourne has no control on what he will be offered by rival clubs, I think we are going to get something like pick 20.

Lucky to get that I reckon. Rumour has it that Chip's veins flow brown and gold and he's going there for the basic football wage plus tips because he loves the place and expects to spend most of the season playing in the ruck with the Box Hill Hawks alongside Kyle Cheney.

• Like 1

The club knows from the AFL that they will be given pick 3.

The procedure is fairly simple

1/ The club contacts the AFL and asks for guidelines on what pick they can expect and the AFL outlines certain scenarios around length of contract and money that needs to be given to Frawley to guarantee pick 3

2/ MFC officials work out that pick 3 is guaranteed based on their extensive research done (reading Demonland to ascertain the fact as to what other clubs are offering Frawley)

• Like 3

I am expecting a big kick in the guts when the best side takes one of the best players of the worst side for free on a modest contract that leaves us with a second rounder. Great system.

• Like 4

Agree Nut and exactly what message would they be sending to the competition should pick three not be awarded for an 26 YO AA on long contract and big dough.

Would have to raise eyebrows as to its level of interest and concern for bottom of the table clubs and if not that what it might have in store for the Demons

Would be an grossly inappropriate message to Melbourne from the AFL if it were to be 19. The players credentials , likely contract , age and stage of career, confirms MFC deserve the highest available compensation. AFL need to step up to the plate on this one, or another agenda towards MFC appears, notwithstanding PJ & PR.

• Like 2

It's more a question about what the Demons are entitled to. It has nothing to do with Frawley's worth, or what we "deserve". There's a formula in place that determines what we are entitled to, and from there, the AFL have to decide if it's appropriate.

My biggest concern, and it has been since early season, is that we may not be entitled to pick 3 due to Frawley's contract terms. The only saving grace I can see is that he may have in fact agreed to terms with Hawthorn last year, when his value would be considerably more than today.

I still think he has to exceed $500k a year over 4 years for us to be entitled to Band 1 compensation. I just don't know if that's what he will get. I can assure you, if I had made up my mind last year that I was going to leave an employer to head to the reigning (back to back) premiers, who will absolutely challenge for a flag in 2015, I'd definitely be satisfied to "jump ship" for less money than what others could offer. Given that his current contract was heavily front-loaded, he's probably only on $200-$300k this season anyway, so it could be seen as a reasonable payrise.

• Like 1

Club is shopping pick 3.... They have to have been given the heads up.

Its the claytons priority guarantee shlt thing again. The club ought to get 3 in own right. Seems that the Chips may fall at Glenferrie and that is evnenmore than the Kitty Kats were plating up for him , which in its own right would have been band 1

MFC has pick 3 . Stop worrying........bloody MFCCS or whatever you are

We will be getting pick 3 as compensation 100% One of the reasons we were denied draft assistance is due to the fact the AFL knew we were getting compensation for Frawley after our pick 2.

We have nothing to worry.

Club is shopping pick 3.... They have to have been given the heads up.

Its the claytons priority guarantee shlt thing again. The club ought to get 3 in own right. Seems that the Chips may fall at Glenferrie and that is evnenmore than the Kitty Kats were plating up for him , which in its own right would have been band 1

MFC has pick 3 . Stop worrying........bloody MFCCS or whatever you are

B59, it's not MFCSS at all. It's a group of supporters, me included, that have no idea what this plick is going to get paid. It's supporters, me included, that have zero confidence in the AFL making a decision that favours a lowly side that will put the powe clubs offside. It's supporters, me included, that have put up with shlt for decades that have mostly gone against us. I'm at the stage where I just always look at the shlt side of the coin, because generally that's what has landed face up. It allows me to appreicate it if something actually goes our way.

And I highly doubt you know how much the Hawks are offering, and if it is in fact more than Geelong. I think you are just throwing that out there because your "source" had you convinced that Geelong was his destination, and tried to convince this forum for months that you "know". If it were me, I'd go to Hawthorn for much less than what Geelong were offering.

This may sound drastic, but if we do not get pick 3 I will not follow, watch or have any further interest in the AFL....

By us missing out on this and the "Special assistance" request, IMO it just highlights that the AFL is NOT interested in making this competition equal to all clubs.

• Like 3

B59, it's not MFCSS at all. It's a group of supporters, me included, that have no idea what this plick is going to get paid. It's supporters, me included, that have zero confidence in the AFL making a decision that favours a lowly side that will put the powe clubs offside. It's supporters, me included, that have put up with shlt for decades that have mostly gone against us. I'm at the stage where I just always look at the shlt side of the coin, because generally that's what has landed face up. It allows me to appreicate it if something actually goes our way.

And I highly doubt you know how much the Hawks are offering, and if it is in fact more than Geelong. I think you are just throwing that out there because your "source" had you convinced that Geelong was his destination, and tried to convince this forum for months that you "know". If it were me, I'd go to Hawthorn for much less than what Geelong were offering.

My whisper ws Billy Boy that Chip had all but packed his bag for the Kattery. His bags were definitely packed irregardless. It wasnt signed and sealed as it cant be but thats where he was inclined to point his car. Things can change ..surprise surprise. My hunch is hes still going there. I dont think he could handle Clarkson to be honest.

Seems you havent been paying attention to some things. Its common knowledge that the league telegraphs its intent to clubs re Compensation so they can get a bit of a run at knowing what they can and cant do re trade. Mahoney has uttered that hed use pick 3 in trading. Golly wonder how he knows he has it.

My whisper re Geelong was hed be on about 2.5 over 5 years but that only 4 were really the offer. Some sort of kicker for a fifth if certain kpi's reached. Again, only what was passed to me. Hes certainly not going to go to the Poos for less.

500 over 5 is band 1...thats pick 3.

I believe pick is now awarded once the paper work is lodged not after the Free agency period finishes. So on Monday we will get our pick.

Yep ..once Chip 'formally" accepts the offer :rolleyes: .Paperwork lodged.....Pick rubber stamped.

Clubs will invariably ask the League...what might we get if such and such happens. The league at some point will give them a heads up to likely result. Club has heads up, League ratifies upon the actual happening.

The league IS actually trying to expedite the trade week(s) It doesnt want things clogged because of uncertainty ( as in the past )

• Like 1

My whisper ws Billy Boy that Chip had all but packed his bag for the Kattery. His bags were definitely packed irregardless. It wasnt signed and sealed as it cant be but thats where he was inclined to point his car. Things can change ..surprise surprise. My hunch is hes still going there. I dont think he could handle Clarkson to be honest.

Seems you havent been paying attention to some things. Its common knowledge that the league telegraphs its intent to clubs re Compensation so they can get a bit of a run at knowing what they can and cant do re trade. Mahoney has uttered that hed use pick 3 in trading. Golly wonder how he knows he has it.

My whisper re Geelong was hed be on about 2.5 over 5 years but that only 4 were really the offer. Some sort of kicker for a fifth if certain kpi's reached. Again, only what was passed to me. Hes certainly not going to go to the Poos for less.

500 over 5 is band 1...thats pick 3.

Thanks, you have confirmed that you are guessing as much as the next person.

I agree with your 500k for 5yrs should be band 1. The thing you are forgetting is that it can be changed at the discretion of the AFL, that's my concern. If that's me suffering from MFCSS, I will politely respond to your diagnosis with a subtle GFY.

• Like 1

Thanks, you have confirmed that you are guessing as much as the next person.

I agree with your 500k for 5yrs should be band 1. The thing you are forgetting is that it can be changed at the discretion of the AFL, that's my concern. If that's me suffering from MFCSS, I will politely respond to your diagnosis with a subtle GFY.

Not guess..observing Try it

• Like 1

Yep ..once Chip 'formally" accepts the offer :rolleyes: .Paperwork lodged.....Pick rubber stamped.

Clubs will invariably ask the League...what might we get if such and such happens. The league at some point will give them a heads up to likely result. Club has heads up, League ratifies upon the actual happening.

The league IS actually trying to expedite the trade week(s) It doesnt want things clogged because of uncertainty ( as in the past )

At what stage prior to the contract being submitted does the AFL know the financial and duration of the agreement?

They clearly have some idea given they can "advise" the departing club the "probable" compensation.

The earlier reports of Frawley asking for $700k a year (or whatever it was), of course the AFL will declare that as a Band 1. What happens should the contract come in and it's a hell of a lot less? Do you think they have to stick to their word?

For the record, I expect his contract to be enough for us to be entitled to band 1, but I'm not going to get horned up about it until it's officially announced.

Wow.

your most informed comment to date.

• Like 1

What I don't get is that...

The AFL has come out and said "we'll notify teams within 24 hours of their compensation when they lose a player to FA"...

But then how is that consistent with the ruling that acquiring other FAs then waters down your compensation?

Could we not just let Frawley go, get awarded pick 3, then a day later sign Malceski as a FA?

I don't think they've thought this through...

And the watering down of compensation is currently the biggest impediment to FA working for the "weaker" clubs.

• Like 3