• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

First things first.

I know very little about him but from what I've picked up on and heard over the last few days he seems exciting and very likely to slide.

Appears to have been injured all year, played his first game back in the All-Stars team in the AFL GF curtain raiser and starred with a BOG.

From the limited footage I've seen he has that incredible break away dash and looks and sounds like he plays well on the inside. Also interviewed nicely and appears to have a good head on his shoulders.

Shifter Sheehan claims he should be around the mark of our second round pick as he predicted the Dees current selections (with available picks) while talking to Matt Burgan.

I look forward to seeing what eventuates with this young man. Also what a name eh....

P.S I figured this thread will start sooner or later, please share what you know on him.

think i saw he was 188cm. Very eye catching!

Nakia Cockatoo (NT – Util)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 23/10/1996
Recruited from: NT Thunder
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Nakia is a super talented versatile player who does big damage with ball in hand. With ball in hand he has some real composure and uses it well with his footskills excellent. He can play forward, back or through the midfield and looks at ease wherever you place him. He’s got some real pace, agility and ball handling skills to him and the thing he does better than others in this draft is stepping through traffic and easily getting by the opposition players. He’s also a strong mark at his size which is pleasing. From reports he’s a hard working and very coachable player and has some real talent so there is a real opportunity for Nakia to succeed in a big way and coming from a good footballing family the signs are positive. You’d just love to see him get his hands on the ball more because he’s someone who can really do some positive things with it.

Edited by Mousey
  • Like 1

He was a likely rookie pick up after his injury (and subsequent lack of exposure), but that performance against the Academy has reminded everyone of his ability.

Fair growth spurt if he measures in at 188cms now. This was his academy write up earlier this year:

Nakia COCKATOO 23 Oct 96 182cm 75kg Northern Territory/Southern Districts

Medium forward/defender with excellent game sense and composure under pressure. Is very clean with his hands and possesses excellent foot skills. A smooth moving player who is strong overhead and has the ability to finish with great accuracy in front of goal. Indigenous player.

• Like 1

Anyone with the name Cockatoo must cause anguish amongst those Dees' supporters who are old enough to remember

We talk about poor drafting but this was an absolutely beauty - we drafted the Cockatoo-Collins twins and FFS, neither of them could play.

• Like 1

This kid can play. Seems a bit of a risk but if he turns out he's a real line-breaker and goal kicker.

I'd use a pick in the 20s on him but I am easily seduced by risky selections. Wanted Dayle Garlett bad last year...

I'm curious what the risk is as to why his sliding?

I haven't seen it anywhere. Is it simply a lack of exposure and injury because if that's it his upside is far greater.

Skill wise he seems like he could be a top 10 pick, good kick, clean hands versitile, quick, can play inside outside ect. Said to be very coachable (read above) but am curious what the actual risks are?

If it's the old indigenous card Neville Jetta and Aaron Davey went fine for me.

I'm looking forward to learn more.

• Like 2

I haven't seen it anywhere. Is it simply a lack of exposure and injury because if that's it his upside is far greater.

Skill wise he seems like he could be a top 10 pick, good kick, clean hands versitile, quick, can play inside outside ect. Said to be very coachable (read above) but am curious what the actual risks are?

Risk is that he was injured all year and basically played one epic game which has seduced us all.

First in the kicking test 29/30, 5th and 6th in the standing and running vertical leap respectively

described in an emma quayle article as very coachable.

If we can get petracca@ 2, trade 3 for established gun and billy stretch with our second round pick then i think it would be worth taking a punt on him dedpite his injuries.

Massive massive upside

edit- emma quayle link http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-medium-forwards-20141002-10pa6w.html

Edited by rolly
  • Like 1

He's not really a slider - more of a bolter actually.

He was highly touted in his 16 and 17 year old years, but he has been injured all of this season and only played in the 'Allies v Allstars' under 18 exhibition game - which was at the MCG as a curtain raiser to the grand final last week.

He was outstanding in that game, winning best on ground honours and has tested and interviewed exceptionally well at the draft camp - and people are now considering whether he is worth a first round risk on effectively only 1 game for the year plus testing results.

Personally, I really really like him and think he would be the perfect fit for our list with his size, strength and electric pace and elite kick. If he is still there at 22 I really hope we take him.

Here is a little more about him.

• Like 1

He's not really a slider - more of a bolter actually.

He was highly touted in his 16 and 17 year old years, but he has been injured all of this season and only played in the 'Allies v Allstars' under 18 exhibition game - which was at the MCG as a curtain raiser to the grand final last week.

He was outstanding in that game, winning best on ground honours and has tested and interviewed exceptionally well at the draft camp - and people are now considering whether he is worth a first round risk on effectively only 1 game for the year plus testing results.

Personally, I really really like him and think he would be the perfect fit for our list with his size, strength and electric pace and elite kick. If he is still there at 22 I really hope we take him.

Here is a little more about him.

We have all been seduced before but this guy sounds good.

Negatives:

-memories of 2 Galahs in the early 90s as I recall. Given numbers 30 and 31 I think. Played 3 or 4 games between them. Still, mustn't let half a name influence things.

-the words "elite kick" reminded me of the Strauss write up, though this guy sounds as if he can actually find the ball to kick.

Edited by monoccular

We have all been seduced before but this guy sounds good.

Negatives:

-memories of 2 Galahs in the early 90s as I recall. Given numbers 30 and 31 I think. Played 3 or 4 games between them. Still, mustn't let half a name influence things.

-the words "elite kick" reminded me of the Strauss write up, though this guy sounds as if he can actually find the ball to kick.

I cant find any confirmation, but I think I heard he came equal first (or close) in the kick testing at the combine.

Won the 20 metre sprint

Around 5th in the repeat sprints

Top echelon in the standing and running jumps

Plus interviewed very well and is a great kid.

• Like 1

Here's more of a comprehensive analysis from Knightmare of Bigfooty.

29. Nakia Cockatoo (NT – Mid)Height: 188cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 23/10/1996
Recruited from: NT Thunder
Draft range: 15-45
Best position/role: Midfield – outside
Strengths: Linebreaking ability – Cockatoo after Pickett is that next most outstanding linebreaker in this draft class. Like Pickett, Cockatoo similarly whenever the opportunity is there will use his acceleration to break the lines at top speed and provide meaningful, explosive run and carry. He can on his runs cover substantial ground and will run and carry it 50m or 60m if you let him. He can step through traffic superbly and also get around opposition players easily. Cockatoo v the U17s at one point got carried away with his run and carry and forget to bounce whereby he ran what seemed to be 50m or 55m without bouncing it but if he remembers to bounce the ball earlier every time then his linebreaking ability will be a significant weapon and point of difference at the next level. For pace Cockatoo tested in the top six for the 20m sprint and the top overall for repeat speed but more importantly he not only has that speed, he applies it in game as well as anyone bar Pickett in this draft.
Evasiveness –Cockatoo in addition to his acceleration also is excellent at evading tackles and has numerous tricks to help him deal with tacklers to stop them from getting their hands on him. He can spin out of trouble to avoid a tackler. He can shrug tackles and at times draw free kicks by doing this. He can at times sidestep players to go by them. Cockatoo can also run around guys. This evasiveness only makes him even more of a linebreaking threat.
Gamechanger – Cockatoo with his linebreaking ability can inject significant energy into games and can change the complexion of games and with his linebreaking ability. An example of Cockatoo’s gamechanging ability is from one centre bounce Cockatoo managed to read the ruck tap and take it cleanly and he individually took it from that centre bounce, ran it at full acceleration to 40m directly in front to then finished for the easy goal, and it will be explosive, gamechanging players like this that will become routine for Cockatoo.
Versatility – Cockatoo has the versatility to play through the midfield in outside or inside roles; he can play off a back flank as a linebreaker or even push into the forward half.
Work at ground level – Cockatoo is very clean at ground level and is excellent at winning the ground ball with his pickups clean, rarely fumbling.
Skillset – Cockatoo by hand and foot is a good ball user and is also a natural finisher when within range of goal.
Strong overhead – Cockatoo from a limited viewing sample seems a strong but not mark overhead and has shown that he can read the flight of the ball well and get to the drop of the ball.
Coachable – From reports Cockatoo is highly coachable and plays his football with a real enthusiasm.
Weaknesses:Decision making ability – Cockatoo at times with ball in hand can try to do too much and go long at ill-advised times when sometimes lowing the eyes and finding the easier, shorter option is better, overlooking the higher percentage option in favour of going with what he thinks may generate a more meaningful drive forward. He also at times looks to have long shots at goal that are beyond his limitations.
Contested ball winning ability – Cockatoo while he can win some of his own ball still is not a high volume contested ball winner or such a high level contested ball winner that he would be a suitable player to play on the ball at AFL level for more than brief minutes.
Tackling ability – Cockatoo while he is among the quickest in this draft I have no seen lay many tackles or give a great deal of tackling effort at this point in time, albeit from a small sample size and it is something I would be looking for him to develop into a feature of his game.
Ability to find the easy outside ball – At this stage Cockatoo is more someone who in the most part will get his ball through receiving by hand and struggles at this point to all that much find easy, uncontested ball on the outside. Cockatoo is someone so damaging with ball in hand that you really want to see him have the ball in his hands more than he does at the present time.
Small sample size of games/limited exposed games – Cockatoo has missed most of the season with injury and there is a limited formline to go off with that game v the AIS underagers his only game in the past six months.
Best position? – At this stage Cockatoo lacks an easily identifiable best position and will over the coming years need to find out where he is best suited. I assume giving his linebreaking ability most likely on a wing or otherwise a back flank. What I expect will improve:I expect Cockatoo to continue doing what he already does but also I expect he will add a dominant tackling energy game to his arsenal. I also expect he cleans up his decision making ability with time in the system.
Who he can become?I see Cockatoo as something like Gary Rohan. Hopefully less injury prone but like Rohan, Cockatoo is a similar height but also possesses that same gamechanging acceleration with ball in hand and similar ability to influence games without finding a large volume of ball. When will he be ready to play?Cockatoo will take time to develop. It is not out of the question that he receives games from season one depending on whether his team needs an injection of pace but I see him as more likely to establish himself around season two or three. How to best utilise him?It is not completely clear where Nakia will be best utilised but I anticipate he will look best suited as an outside linebreaker on a wing.
Interpretation of his numbers:Sample size of the stats I have access to are too small to make any conclusions

• Like 1

Pretty persuasive argument for hanging onto our second round pick just in case!

• Like 1

For me now, I get more joy out of looking for those names that will slide in the draft.

I genuinely believe Cockatoo will become a quality player of the AFL. He already has the perfect traits with good skills by both hand and foot, reading the ruck, and willing to put his head over the ball.

As it states above he can shrug tackles and side step opponents while at pace - think how much harder he'll be to tackle when his 188 cm frame stacks on a little more mass, I doubt he'll slow down anytime soon and his body is practically AFL ready.

As for his drawbacks regarding outside work rate for uncontested possessions and an increase in tackling pressure, these will be some of the easier things to teach a draftee that is "very coachable" enthusiastic and willing to learn. That is far easier than trying to teach another draftee not to shrug at contest or put their head over the ball.

My only concern is that North seem very keen and I won't be surprised if they try pull the trigger early with their later first round (first overall) pick.