Sure thing, what player/s do you suggest?

Keep in mind we must take a minimum of three draftees in the ND.

At the moment we only need to take one.

Billy Strecth F/S, Jetta rookie upgrade. At this rate we'll take Brayshaw with pick 2 and have to pass on pick 3.

At the moment we only need to take one.

Billy Strecth F/S, Jetta rookie upgrade. At this rate we'll take Brayshaw with pick 2 and have to pass on pick 3.

LOL

Mahoney said today that we'll probably go to the draft with 2,3 and 23.

I'm hoping 23 is reserved for this guy.

Agreed mate! I genuinely believe Cockatoo has all the traits that can make him a star, he certainly has a far greater probably anyway.

The pro's here vastly outweigh the cons and if we go to the draft with picks 2 & 3 the "risk" of selecting him here would be less significant (even though i don't consider it a risk anyway).

My only concern is that North Melbourne will pull the pin early at ~ pick 16 as they appear to be super keen.

Agreed mate! I genuinely believe Cockatoo has all the traits that can make him a star, he certainly has a far greater probably anyway.

The pro's here vastly outweigh the cons and if we go to the draft with picks 2 & 3 the "risk" of selecting him here would be less significant (even though i don't consider it a risk anyway).

My only concern is that North Melbourne will pull the pin early at ~ pick 16 as they appear to be super keen.

Would somebody really take him with their first pick?

I don't think we will take him if we take 2 and 3 to the draft. Roos has said he only wants a couple of 'kids' from the draft. So that would pick 2, 3, and Stretch. Also, there is less need for a Nakia type with JKH and now Garlett running around. Roos will still try and trade 23.

If we are 'stuck' with 23, a Goddard type may be a better get if we don't get Frost.

Here are the combine numbers with Nakia highlighted:

2014 NAB AFL DRAFT COMBINE
3km time trial (minutes : seconds)
Jack Hiscox 9:18
Tom Lamb 9:45
Alex Neal-Bullen 9:54
Billy Stretch 9:57
Nathan Drummond 9:59
Josh Deluca-Cardillo 10:07
Daniel McKenzie 10:07
Connor Menadue 10:07
Liam Duggan 10:11
Jack Steele 10:11
Beep test/shuttle run (level)
Caleb Daniel 16.1
Jack Hiscox 16.1
Nathan Drummond 15.9
Tom Lamb 15.5
Ed Langdon 15.3
Jarrod Garlett 15.2
Alex Neal-Bullen 15.2
Jason Castagna 15.2
Billy Stretch 15.1
Jack Steele 15.1
Jordan Cunico 14.12
Christian Petracca 14.12
Kicking test (score out of 30)
Nakia Cockatoo 29
Daniel Howe 28
Kyle Langford 28
Toby McLean 27
Michael Mattingly 27
Nathan Drummond 27
Dean Gore 27
Brett Eddy 27
Clem Smith 26
Liam Duggan 26
Brayden Maynard 26
Jack Steele 26
Ed Vickers-Willis 26
Mitch McGovern 26
Clean hands test (score out of 30)
Nathan Drummond 26
Paddy Brophy 26
Reece McKenzie 26
Tyler Keitel 26
Dougal Howard 26
Michael Mattingly 25
Brett Eddy 25
Caleb Daniel 25
Jake Johansen 25
Jarrod Garlett 25
Brydan Hodgson 25
Marc Pittonet 25
Liam Dawson 25
Jack Cripps 25
Goalkicking test (score out of 30)
Dean Gore 30
Keenan Ramsey 30
Nathan Drummond 25
Paddy Brophy 25
Michael Mattingly 25
Liam Dawson 25
Cory Gregson 25
Aidan Anderson 25
Dougal Howard 24
Jarrod Garlett 24
Jack Cripps 24
Bailey Dale 24
Declan Hamilton 24
20 metre sprint results (sec)
Marvin Baynham 2.81
Oleg Markov 2.87
Jarrod Pickett 2.87
Reece McKenzie 2.87
Connor Menadue 2.88
Nakia Cockatoo 2.90
Ed Langdon 2.92
Paddy Brophy 2.93
Conor McKenna 2.93
Nathan Drummond 2.93
Agility results (sec)
Clem Smith 8.09
Daniel McKenzie 8.10
Conor McKenna 8.12
Jarrod Pickett 8.13
Teia Miles 8.27
Lukas Webb 8.28
Josh McGuinness 8.33
Billy Stretch 8.33
Kyle Langford 8.36
Jack Lonie 8.37
Repeat sprint results (sec)
Nakia Cockatoo 23.93
Nathan Drummond 23.95
Daniel Nielson 23.99
Daniel McKenzie 24.02
Ed Langdon 24.06
Oleg Markov 24.14
Connor Menadue 24.14
Conor McKenna 24.16
Matthew Goodyear 24.49
Jack Hiscox 24.36
Standing vertical jump (cm)
Marvin Baynham 88
Jarrod Garlett 76
Nathan Drummond 76
Christian Petracca 74
Nakia Cockatoo 73
James Rose 73
Dean Gore 72
Nicholas Coughlan 72
Evan Bruinsma 72
Reece McKenzie 72
Tom Read (Sturt) 72
Running vertical jump (cm)
Evan Bruinsma 97
Marvin Baynham 95
Daniel McKenzie 94
Billy Gowers 93
Nathan Drummond 90
Nakia Cockatoo 89
Matthew Uebergang 87
Mitch McGovern 87
James Rose 87
Matthew Hammelmann 87
Great to see Stretch's name plenty of times too.

Cockatoo looks like the bargain of the draft to me. He looks like a potential superstar. Unfortunately he won't be going to us unless we are prepared to use pick 3.

I, for one, wouldn't think it outrageous if we did. Players like him don't come along that often. Anyway, I'm just dreaming, as he won't be available at our third round pick.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread up but I really think this guy may be the bargain of the draft. From the video footage he seems to have no obvious deficiencies, just pure talent and application, size and speed. Most of the others being touted as pick 3 have a weakness. Laverde, his kicking, McCartin his goal kicking and health issues, Lever disposal etc. Cockatoo has not had enough chance to wow all of the observers but he looks like a gem to me. Have another look at the footage on the AFL site. Take him or not, we'll certainly hear about him in the future.

Not nearly as big as Adam Goodes but gee he sure plays like him. Beautiful 'don't argues', great lateral movement, evasion, good hands and great disposal. What's not to like?

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine.workstation

Edited by btdemon

Sorry to bump this thread up but I really think this guy may be the bargain of the draft. From the video footage he seems to have no obvious deficiencies, just pure talent and application, size and speed. Most of the others being touted as pick 3 have a weakness. Laverde, his kicking, McCartin his goal kicking and health issues, Lever disposal etc. Cockatoo has not had enough chance to wow all of the observers but he looks like a gem to me. Have another look at the footage on the AFL site. Take him or not, we'll certainly hear about him in the future.

Not nearly as big as Adam Goodes but gee he sure plays like him. Beautiful 'don't argues', great lateral movement, evasion, good hands and great disposal. What's not to like?

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine.workstation

What is wrong with McCartin's goal-kicking? Have you watched his hghlights?

I believe if he had played out the year we would all be considering him in our top 3-5 equations.

I find it funny that the likes of Lever - a good quality U18 backman is rated by some so highly whilst having the year off, and then there's Cockatoo who I rate higher that may slide so easily after that insane BOG game.

Based on this one game he was simply stunning:

Strong and easily capable of fending off his opponents whilst holding his feet, then on top of that was incredibly evasive with a lovely sidestep.

He played with this insane intensity, physicality, and possessed that lovely dash many envy whilst calm and poised (incredibly rare to possess all).

Better yet his combine results showed his lovely kicking skills and as previously mentioned had good hands.

As stated he also has a great personality and appears very coach-able.

I genuinely can't see his downside other than the lack of exposure in 2014. I really hope the club take a seriously look at him and organize an extra couple of meetings/ independent evaluations. If we chose him at 3 I honestly would not be complaining as I see him as a far better midfield prospect than Laverde. On the other hand if we chose McCartin (on the basis Petracca and Brawshaw were taken prior) I too wouldn't be complaining.

I just hope the club take Cockatoo into consideration.

• Like 5