Ollie Wines

Redjacket

Was desperate for Wines pre draft. always said he was going to make a sudden impact straight away. I supported Toump when we drafted him straight away right up till now even and will continue too.

But jeez he looked unstoppable tonight.

Just remember guys it was Todd Viney that selected him. The whole Mark Neeld overruled him business is a myth.

I don't know what Toumpas can ever do to draw a parallel with Wines and what he achieved in the first two years of his career.

Un[censored]believable that we overlooked this kid.

The toump plays for the team I barrack for. Wines plays for an opposition side. Similarly I don't care about McRae or stringer. Build a fuckn bridge

Whatever it is that gets you by...

• Like 1

I don't know what Toumpas can ever do to draw a parallel with Wines and what he achieved in the first two years of his career.

Un[censored]believable that we overlooked this kid.

Well it would be good if he actually did something other than playing ordinary football in the VFL.
  • Like 3

A lot of revisionism going on. I seem to remember that most experts rated Toumpas over Wines. A lot got it wrong.

• Like 3

It is perhaps one of those tragic ironies of a traumatised club psychology.

"We've had too many attempts at fairytales in the drafts, this time we should avoid sentiment and go with the guy generally considered the top-3."

I do take comfort that Dom Tyson, in effectively his first season, has been comparable in performance despite significantly adverse 'conditions'.

We have finally got one right, Tyson was a steal for little more than a pick shuffle where we still netted another quality player.

• Like 2

Was desperate for Wines pre draft. always said he was going to make a sudden impact straight away. I supported Toump when we drafted him straight away right up till now even and will continue too.

But jeez he looked unstoppable tonight.

Just remember guys it was Todd Viney that selected him. The whole Mark Neeld overruled him business is a myth.

Yep, I will go with this until someone proves it to be different. Nobody has yet, it's easier to blame Neeld I guess.

Ollie Wines is a great player. don't forget that all clubs rated Toupas highly. If GWS had selected Toupas then I am sure we would have considered Ollie. Even after we picked Jimmie a lot of clubs overlooked Ollie before Port took him at 9. the draft is not easy a lot of guns were taken late in the draft. Nat Jones 12, Mcdonald around 50 and so on. Hird taken at around 70. lets not give up on Toupas. He will be ok. but gee Ollie looks brilliant. Love to see him in a Dees Jumper - mayber in the future, we can only hope!

A lot of revisionism going on. I seem to remember that most experts rated Toumpas over Wines. A lot got it wrong.

Including most here ... Poll - Wines or Toumpas

Toumpas was rated no.2 for most of the 2012 season and was always tipped to go in the top 5 ... Wines, on the other hand was tipped to not get picked up in the top 5. And guess what? That's what happened.

It's akin to passing on Petracca and picking someone else outside of the top 5 "popular" picks.

By the way, Robbie Gray went at pick 55 in the 2006 draft ... who do we blame there and where do we start?

• Like 5

So you cannot see he is the length of the flemington straight better?

Sorry od, have I missed something? Is this thread (which is, by the by called Ollie wines, not did we make a blunder selecting the toump not wines) about who is a better player wines or the toump?

Maybe we should start a thread about McRae and stringer and their relative worth compared to wines.

McQueen, old dee et all get back to me when you've perfected your time machine. Until then I'll support the young fellas playing for my club

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

Whatever it is that gets you by...

Cause the alternative is what exactly? Sooking about it non-stop? Sounds awesome, how do I get in on that?

Support the Toump. The guy that plays for US.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

Cause the alternative is what exactly? Sooking about it non-stop? Sounds awesome, how do I get in on that?

Support the Toump. The guy that plays for US.

I am supporting Toumpas and I really do hope he can become a player.

I know drafting isn't an exact science but when there was a chance, we blew it big time.

You know that too.

I am supporting Toumpas and I really do hope he can become a player.

I know drafting isn't an exact science but when there was a chance, we blew it big time.

You know that too.

Oh yeah, awesome support to be whinging about how great Wines is and how we blew it big time. What a tremendous show of faith.

And what if we did blow it? Tell me exactly what is constructive about bringing it up again, and again, and again. It's verging on trolling now. And it's the same girls' blouses that are doing it.

• Like 2

A lot got it wrong. GWS more than anyone. What gives me the irrits is [censored] on here carrying on like it was an obvious oversight. Whitfield (clearly ahead) & Toumpas were touted as 1 & 2 from along way out

Re-do that draft with 20/20 hindsight and Ollie goes No.1. He is a mile ahead of Whitfield at the moment. O'Rourke ? Plowman ? Both have done even less than Jimmy T.

He's a ripper young Ollie & I'm going to enjoy watching him - hopefully for two more finals this year

As an aside, the infamous poster Picket Fence gives me the [censored]. He bangs on ad infinitum about his chosen few topics, is often wrong and I suspect is quite mad.

Nonetheless he was steadfast in his belief that Wines was the player we needed to take. Well before the draft. So when he pumps up Wines & mourns our not taking him - fair enough. Credit to PF, he saw it & called it early unlike most of the hindsight heroes. . Just wish he wouldn't use Ollie's success as an excuse to bag the player we did select.

• Like 4