Booing

Grint

Hey what do you guys think about Jack Watts shaking his head while they were getting booed just before they left the ground. Was it out of remorse? Or....?

Oh and you can watch the replay on afl 360 on the melbourne website. It's like half way through

Probably the response to the woman shouting out "hey anyone seen Jack Watts' heart? Its out on the ground somewhere...."

I don't like the idea of booing your own team.

Remember, you're booing the guys who gave their guts(eg N Jones), as well as the ones you thought didn't try.

You're booing the jumper and the club in general.

Do booers really think the players will try harder next week because they boo them as they come off the field?

I reckon it's best just to shut up.

Absolute silence as they leave the field is enough.

I think they got the message.

• Like 1

Thought I'd leave it a few days before I posted anything just to make sure I didn't say anything in the heat of the moment given how upset I was Sunday arvo... Since then though have had to read two articles from two players saying they didn't like getting booed to much. Well to those two players I say this - At least those who hang around to boo still cared enough to be there. My family in Victoria went and left at 3/4 time - something that has never happened no matter what. Im in Perth and I wont be bothering to go this week. That, Jones and McDonald is worse than being booed. This team has finally managed to get 3 generations of one family to just stop caring. You want us to turn up and stick around to the end then YOU BASTEDS TURN UP AND STICK AROUND TO THE END.

its a good thing that the supporters are booing because it shows that we can still muster supporters who are FULLY passionate & expressive. if the supporters just sat quietly & clapped occasionally & did nothing but quiet when things were bad, I would be worried.

If you have a burn then you go & put on a remedy to quell the pain, if you have an upset stomach you an take an number of remedies to improve things.

I say to the players, harden TF up... stop whinging about people expressing their pain, & do something good.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of booing your own team.

Remember, you're booing the guys who gave their guts(eg N Jones), as well as the ones you thought didn't try.

You're booing the jumper and the club in general.

Do booers really think the players will try harder next week because they boo them as they come off the field?

I reckon it's best just to shut up.

Absolute silence as they leave the field is enough.

I agree Jack. Booing is completely childish and do we really want to put ourselves in the same category as Richmond supporters when their team is playing poorly? The players tried but too many errors unfortunately.

Couple of things (right of reply) - there were two articles I read on The Roar. Didn't think I needed to provide direct quotes or links cause I Kind of figured people in this site might trawl for dees related articles too but if I need to pull direct quotes from a well known sports site like that then I must be wrong - sorry bout that.

www.theroar.com.au/2014/08/19/demons-deserved-boos-afl-loss/

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/08/18/demons-going-backwards/

There you go

Not once did I suggest that the players thought they didn't deserve to be booed - both players clearly indicate they knew why they were being booed but I would have thought it was painfully clear deserved or not that they didn't like it - I was only suggesting that the supporters who hung around long enough to boo them off the ground hung around at the game longer than the players. We all know it's going to be a very long road and I honestly don't mind the odd flogging as long as I see players having a crack. They wouldn't be booed if they had a crack. They didn't have a crack. But what should get to them more is that people just didn't even care enough to hang around and boo - just left the ground, stopped caring.

I watched every minute of that match right up to the giants singing their song in the rooms and had I been in melbourne I would have been at the game and stayed till the end - I personally wouldn't have booed but that is my choice as a member (I certainly would not have clapped them off as at least a couple of people did).

I'm not entirely sure how I have "twisted" anything to form a personal opinion based on what I saw on the weekend, what I've read from the players since then and a couple of days of reflection.

• Like 1

I stayed to the bitter end heard the boos. I just couldnt stop laughingduring the game at the antics on the field ,stopped me from getting angry or crying with pity

• Like 2

Thought I'd leave it a few days before I posted anything just to make sure I didn't say anything in the heat of the moment given how upset I was Sunday arvo... Since then though have had to read two articles from two players saying they didn't like getting booed to much. Well to those two players I say this - At least those who hang around to boo still cared enough to be there. My family in Victoria went and left at 3/4 time - something that has never happened no matter what. Im in Perth and I wont be bothering to go this week. That, Jones and McDonald is worse than being booed. This team has finally managed to get 3 generations of one family to just stop caring. You want us to turn up and stick around to the end then YOU BASTEDS TURN UP AND STICK AROUND TO THE END.

Obviously they are the players you are talking about. Well, you fail to mention that they both stated that they deserved to be booed. They were obviously very disappointed and ashamed. I think it is a little unfair to single them out just because they were interviewed and made comment.

• Like 1

I agree Jack. Booing is completely childish and do we really want to put ourselves in the same category as Richmond supporters when their team is playing poorly? The players tried but too many errors unfortunately.

Indeed, and cheering is something children do, too. The proper behaviour for supporters is to sit quietly through wins and losses, meditating upon the evanescence of the universe within which "winning" and "losing" are mere illusions. And we could gently appreciate the way Jack Watts has replaced the tackle with the non-violent but intrusive cuddle.

• Like 6

Indeed, and cheering is something children do, too. The proper behaviour for supporters is to sit quietly through wins and losses, meditating upon the evanescence of the universe within which "winning" and "losing" are mere illusions. And we could gently appreciate the way Jack Watts has replaced the tackle with the non-violent but intrusive cuddle.

small correction et. Jack Watts player #4

• Like 2

Well I personally would never boo my team. When I think of supporters booing their team I immediately think of Richmond supporters and do not want to be tarnished with their brush.

I was disappointed, sad, despondent - yes but I will still never boo my team.

I heard from someone who works at the club that there was a player sponsor function on after the game and not many people turned up - that's is sad. The players know how the supporters feel.

• Like 1

Obviously they are the players you are talking about. Well, you fail to mention that they both stated that they deserved to be booed. They were obviously very disappointed and ashamed. I think it is a little unfair to single them out just because they were interviewed and made comment.

Please read my second post on this thread - I did attempt to clarify that it was clear the players thought they deserved the boos - my post was suggesting if they don't like it there is a way to fix it win lose or draw

Well I personally would never boo my team. When I think of supporters booing their team I immediately think of Richmond supporters and do not want to be tarnished with their brush.

I was disappointed, sad, despondent - yes but I will still never boo my team.

I heard from someone who works at the club that there was a player sponsor function on after the game and not many people turned up - that's is sad. The players know how the supporters feel.

Keep in mind jane that this is not one game it is the build up of close to a decade of crap, even the most supportive people have a breaking point. The Players passed that point on Sunday.

Please read my second post on this thread - I did attempt to clarify that it was clear the players thought they deserved the boos - my post was suggesting if they don't like it there is a way to fix it win lose or draw

Ok, I didn't see that... apologies. However, I would be more worried if they did like the boos. I'm afraid there is no easy way to fix it... they are tired after a long season of playing above themselves (and that is what they have essentially been doing based on past years form) and until this game, they had acquited themselves reasonably well.

I really don't think 4 wins tells the full story when you look at how hard they have worked to reduce the number of thrashings they were getting. Things will improve, but I fear there will need to be a few more interations when it comes to drafting/trading before we can expect to be a top 4 side. Having said that, if they can make a similar step up next year as they did this year compared to last year, then I don't think a place just outside the top 8 is unachievable.

I was at the game and noticed supporters booing before 3rd quarter time when melbourne was kicking the ball backwards and sideways instead of going forward, their defensive mindset is becoming an obsession with them where they will not kick forward to leading players in case they stuff it up, so they kick it around and and around and end up turn it over. The booing at 3 quarter time in my opinion was warranted to let the team know what we thought of their performance, it obviously fell on deaf ears as their last quarter was even worse. The booing at the end would not have only been MFC supporters but GWS supporters who saw a weak insipid opponent with no heart and no spine.

At some point the players have to hit rock bottom for themselves before they either fight back or totally give up, this week against the eagles is going to be a real test to see who falls into what bucket. if they put in another performance like this against the eagles the west coast supporters will really let them have it.

Sadly there are a lot of players out there who were playing for their careers and really you would not have known it from their performance.

I was at the game and noticed supporters booing before 3rd quarter time when melbourne was kicking the ball backwards and sideways instead of going forward, their defensive mindset is becoming an obsession with them where they will not kick forward to leading players in case they stuff it up, so they kick it around and and around and end up turn it over. The booing at 3 quarter time in my opinion was warranted to let the team know what we thought of their performance, it obviously fell on deaf ears as their last quarter was even worse. The booing at the end would not have only been MFC supporters but GWS supporters who saw a weak insipid opponent with no heart and no spine.

At some point the players have to hit rock bottom for themselves before they either fight back or totally give up, this week against the eagles is going to be a real test to see who falls into what bucket. if they put in another performance like this against the eagles the west coast supporters will really let them have it.

Sadly there are a lot of players out there who were playing for their careers and really you would not have known it from their performance.

Sadly I think that is effecting their performance they are scared stiff of making errors so they go absolutely defensive with a get rid of the ball so it wont be my fault.

Sunday was the first time at a game where I have booed not just to show frustration but disgust and anger not only to the players lack of skill and effort but to past administrations who have put us in this position. I'm quite satisfied other supporters booed as a collective as I believe Sunday was an emotional tipping point for everyone not just the supporters that showed up to the ground. I'm quite laconic these days when it comes to the Demons (turn up, lose, shrug it off, come to Demonland, repeat) as I thought any genuine passion for this club that I have supported for over 30 years had been beaten out of me through years of mismanagement and bad luck.

I think a few fans actually surprised themselves on how angry they became towards the end of the match. Melbourne supporters by nature are passive rather than aggressive and that's due to a legacy of misery. Sunday was the first time I heard supporters be assertive and show their passion and say as a collective "enough is enough....even for us."

I would never boo a team unless they deserved to be booed and on Sunday the club as a whole deserved it not only from me but the 12,000 that would have stayed as well till the end of the game.

Sunday I believe was the last game you will see Melbourne supporters sit through a game like that and silently walk out the ground broken hearted.

Edited by 13thFlagIsComing
  • Like 1

The only reason I hung around until the end was so that my boy could have a kick on the 'G. I don't fancy 'forcing' my child to follow a team that will not be competitive.

Same here. Would have left early myself for the first time in years if it wasn't for the kick on the ground after the game with my son.

That night I told him I was sorry that the Dee lost for him. His reply was " Don't you be sorry Dad, its the players that need to be sorry." That's coming from a 4 year old.

Could not agree more. I still believe the players get away with putting in insipid performances because the entire Melbourne faithful have only just started singing from the same page. Do not want to see the players clapped off again after any more bad performances. I am not sure that It would happen at any other AFL club in Victoria.

The one thing I can not stand is our supporters clapping the players off after a performance like last week. No wonder our players are soft and put in efforts like that.

No they didn't. Watch the replay and see where the run and spread is...they weren't trying.

• Like 1

After eight years of performances ranging from mediocre to diabolical, there are only two choices available to supporters. You pay your hard earned money, come along each week and respond in kind to whatever sorry excuse for a performance the players can be bothered serving up. Or you stay at home, spend your money on something more rewarding and, if enough people feel the same way, the club folds in a couple of years.

I would like to have a club to support, and for my son to support, so I will continue to come along and make my feelings known in whatever form I deem appropriate. People who sit and accept the tripe that was served on Sunday are the reason why the club is in its current predicament - we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so we won't make hard calls on selection or list management or anything else that might cause offence.

I don't particularly like the booing but understand the frustration completely.

What I'm really sick to death of though is the players apologising to supporters, how many times over the last 3 years have we had to cop this.

Poor old Nathan Jones, he's really the only one with credibility to come out and apologise. Don't do it any more mate, tell your team we don't want to hear it, we just want to see actions.

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of them are good enough to do a whole lot better.

The other thing I hate is when the players come out and make statements like Bernie the other day about how we would not lose. Every time they do that we do lose! I just want them to not do any media and just focus on playing better that's all I want. And I agree about the apologies and crap after. How many times have they said "we really had a good hard look at ourselves" I am sick of hearing that just improve!!!