Melbourne asks for draft assistance

dees189227

Does Melbourne deserve an AFL Priority Pick ? asks this scribe from The Aged. Well everyone's asking it.

What annoys me is the article starts of quite balanced and then falls off as they all seem to. One particular area that was cut adrift was the notion of injury(s)

The AFL changed its surrounding the priority pick early in 2012, with a formula which takes into account premiership points, percentage, finals appearances and injury rates for a club over several seasons now in place to determine whether a selection is given.

The Demons would appear to fulfil nearly all the criteria for a pick, having won just 38 games since the start of 2007, a period in which they will have finished 15th or lower on the ladder five times when this season ends.

Here is , for mine, a very valid area of discussion in relation to PP's . We came into this year with a sense of promise and were all very eager to see Mitch and Hogan line up and provide some real weaponary at the pointy end. Indeed some other clubs in their vehement disapproval of any PP last year pointed in this direction. The reality was history shows Clark hardly got on the park. Great Hope #2 , Hogan wont don the guernsey this year . Trenners has been nobbled by injury for quite a while. Spencer's out. In fact you could , with a bit more time, put together quite a list of lost talent overt the last 2-3 years due to injury. Yes all clubs have them but we've had more than our share I feel and if this area of 'injury' is to be accommodated in any consideration of a PP then it must be acknowledged, even by our opponents.

I don't like the flavour a PP leaves in one's mouth but we need help. Many suggest we're in a rebuild I'd contend that's not quite right, we're still in BUILD mode we've never got near a good list for a long long while. You have to have had something of note to 'rebuild" we don't.

We need players, real players , not a collection of 'works in progress' we need at least another 6 journeymen players. Not stars but good reliable capable types.. They will provide a core for the new kids to form around. To get them we'll need to trade and to trade we need picks of value, hard currency. We need a PP, at least

• Like 1

Top 10 picks currently on our list.

Watts

Trengove

Toumpas

Hogan

Viney (would've gone top 10)

Salem

Over the years

Sylvia (priority)

McLean

Morton

$cully (priority)

Just outside flops

Gysberts (11)

Cook (12)

No wonder practically every other club supporter tells us to stick our request for a priority pick. Talk about wasting your opportunities.

Wonder at the post below.:

I find it laughable people are saying that we don't deserve a PP due to stuffing up previous drafts.

This is the exact reason that we need one. If we had have aced our drafting, and the record shows that we didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The path that we have taken to got to our current position is irrelevant.

What's relevant is our ongoing poor performance and the clear fact we need serious changes to the list.

People were dumbfounded a couple of weeks ago when out of nowhere Roos raised the subject of tanking, saying that under his team there would be nothing of the sort.

It all makes sense now, this throwaway line at his press conference was a precursor to us applying for a PP.

He was grooming the public and AFL, effectively saying that every round of this season, we are trying hard to win. But again, the stats show that we are crap, and we need help.

The timing of our application just happened to be after the most embarrassing loss of the season. I'm sure if the score line had have been reversed, we wouldn't have been applying on Monday.

Bingo!

Screwing up our previous high draft picks is MORE reason to give us draft assistance, not less.

EVERY TEAM THAT REQUIRES DRAFT ASSISTANCE 'BRINGS IT ON THEMSELVES'!

St Kilda will need one in a few years because Lyon decimated their draft picks to find experienced pros in a chase for the flag - they will have to get all their draft picks right to avoid being in the wilderness like us for 7 years.

"I can confirm that the Melbourne Football Club has today lodged a submission with the AFL for special assistance under 'Rule 19' for a priority selection in the 2014 National Draft," Jackson said.

APPLY THE GOD DAMN RULES!

That is all we are asking.

• Like 3

I heard the guys on SEN announce it, first response was no way of course. Rohan Connelly was adamant that we didn't deserve one. You should only get one if you are a serial poor performer he claimed. At that point I think the Ox nearly fell off his chair, eight years isn't enough pain it seems. The tanking allegations were brought up as usual, now 4 years ago. It is interesting how everyone argues against it based on we don't deserve it, we wasted our chances, we tanked etc, no one wants to look at solutions. Fact is we are a cot case, that is a liability to the AFL brand so it is in everyone's interests to get us competitive again. We need draft help and that could come in the form of an end of first round pick,; in fact struggling clubs need more shots at good picks as the draft is a lottery, you can't be sure exactly who will make it, only that the odds are better that a top 20 pick will make it versus a third rounder.

I believe we need draft assistance to help restore our list to a competitive position.

It's interesting that Rohan Connolly is adamant that Melbourne doesn't deserve one. The basis for his scepticism is because of the tanking controversy that dates back to 2009. It seems that we should be punished any number of times for our involvement in that situation, even five years down the track after we've already had an outcome and been punished twice or three times before.

Connolly has regularly stood up for the club he supports over the drugs scandal (and to an embarrassing extent for a journalist who should be looking at the case from an unbiased perspective when he reports on it) and I wonder therefore what he would say if the Bombers had a dozen of their best players suspended for the next two years because they ingested the banned drug TB4? Would he have objections if the Bombers needed some sort of assistance from the AFL to maintain a viable playing list to be competitive in the AFL business? That's exactly what he's doing in our case.

• Like 7

The public still seem to think we don't 'deserve' a pp. I want to ask them under what circumstances should a team receive a pp then?

Only if their club was in the same situation would a PP be warranted.

• Like 4

WJ I am afraid the awarding of PP is a dead issue at the AFL

It appears to me that only new teams will get this treatment in the future.

The AD era is over the new group are keen to be the fans buddy.

The general consensus by all other clubs/ fans is we don't deserve any after the disaster that was the Schwab period.

The vast majority are happy to have us as easy beats from now until we expire.

Unjust ? Yes

Unfair ? Yes.

Tough is their attitude

The majority would be more than happy for us to wither away over the next few years.

A few I know say the timing will suit a transfer to a Tasmanian team in about 5 years time.

IMO that is the majority view in the greater football world

• Like 1

I've lost a big chunk of enthusiasm after Sunday. I've been regularly attending games for 36 years and in all honesty cannot recall going to a worse game (i didn't go to 186) - and i've seen some shockers. I can'r recall being more disappointed or angry for that matter.

I understand arguments against the PP system itself but I simply do not understand the arguments against us getting a priority pick. The PP system is there for equalization.

Whilst we have the system in place we should get one. Full stop. If we don't get one this year the system has to be scrapped.

• Like 2

I've lost a big chunk of enthusiasm after Sunday. I've been regularly attending games for 36 years and in all honesty cannot recall going to a worse game (i didn't go to 186) - and i've seen some shockers. I can'r recall being more disappointed or angry for that matter.

I understand arguments against the PP system itself but I simply do not understand the arguments against us getting a priority pick. The PP system is there for equalization.

Whilst we have the system in place we should get one. Full stop. If we don't get one this year the system has to be scrapped.

It does not help binman but you are not alone there 35 000 others with similar feelings.

If it's the case that the argument against wins then I think we need to manage a campaign with the other smaller clubs to start attacking the money. Hit Eddie and his mates where it hurts in the pocket.

Lets get true equalisation.

Last year Demetriou said installing the "four pillars" common at most highly successful clubs – a "strong and capable" chairman, chief executive, coach and captain – would make a far greater difference at Melbourne than any priority draft pick could. - Good by him!

I thought i read somewhere also that if we were as bad again in 2014 then they (maybe opposition clubs/AFL) would be more likely to look positively on an application?

Last year Demetriou said installing the "four pillars" common at most highly successful clubs – a "strong and capable" chairman, chief executive, coach and captain – would make a far greater difference at Melbourne than any priority draft pick could. - Good by him!

I thought i read somewhere also that if we were as bad again in 2014 then they (maybe opposition clubs/AFL) would be more likely to look positively on an application?

AD is gone the AFL have moved on.

Forget anything that was said in 2013.

If anyone didn't think this club was cursed (aside from our drafting and injuries) have a look at:

Neale Daniher

Dean Bailey

Jim Stynes

Sean Wight

We have pizzed off someone upstairs bigtime..

• Like 1

If anyone didn't think this club was cursed (aside from our drafting and injuries) have a look at:

Neale Daniher

Dean Bailey

Jim Stynes

Sean Wight

Time to shut the shop jnr?

The priority pick was the worst thing the AFL ever introduced. They have never admitted their incompetence and will, probably, reject our appeal. Having said that, we must still appeal, as we did last year, to get it on record.

Neale Daniher

Dean Bailey

Jim Stynes

Sean Wight

maybe a name change to the melbourne angels would help?

the PP is for special assistance

Mark Evans can [censored] if he thinks giving us pick 20 will be enough

Pick 1 should be given to us without question

You are dreaming a nice dream hh

But when you wake the result will be disappointing to say the least.

Forget handouts , try fighting - Barrett

Never quite gets it does this one !! :rolleyes:

I think we should show Barrett that we are fighters and get on the front foot against his BS.

Jackson should know that the Commission only cares about public opinion. Explain to the Footy World their own hypocrisy and false equivocations and convince some loudmouths that the rules should be applied as they are intended and that they are there for a reason.

And, again, he talks about how failed picks like that is a reason not to help us.

It's specious and false reasoning and Jackson should point it out.

• Like 2

We should get an end of first round at a minimum (don't think we will though =/)

A few interesting points on this topic:

Mark Evans is apparently the one at the AFL who has sway in this decision. He was the General Manager of football operations at Hawthorn in 2004/ 2005 when the Club picked Roughead (& Buddy) and Xavier Ellis (& Beau Dowler) as PP’s.

Collingwood, Hawthorn and WCE have won premierships off the back off PP’s awarded under much less stringent conditions than we currently face. The Western Bulldogs and St Kilda have also spent long periods at the top end of the ladder helped by PP’s.

Forget handouts , try fighting - Barrett

Never quite gets it does this one !! :rolleyes:

I cannot stand two of his simpleton arguments, arguments that are regulalry trotted out as to why we should not get a PP, even here on on DL.

One. We don't deserve it. Please spare me such young liberal rubbish. Using that logic you could argue that no bottom clubs should receive equalization payments.

Two. We will get compo for Frawley. Leaving aside the fact that he may not go (though it seems accepted by all that he will) this is compo for losing one of our best players and one of the precious few senior players with more than 100 games. It has nothing to to do at all with the PP. Nothing. And even if you argued it did, if anything it should increase our chance of getting a PP rather than diminish it as it hurts our chances of improving.

Not giving us a PP because of compo for Frawley would in fact be penalizing us rather than the purpose of the (weighted) compo which is to ensure the bootom clubs are not unduly hurt by FA . And if it really was a factor in the decision to give us a PP we would be better getting in a highly ranked FA, which would water down our compo and by Barret's (and other's logic) mean we might then be eligible for a PP. Madness.

What about just applying the AFL formula. If we get it based on that, great. If we don't then so be it but as i said earlier surely the PP system must then be axed completely.

I assume the formula does not include a moral weighting for deserving or undeserving candidates. Nor would include compo received for FA or any other equalization measures (such as payments).

So mind boggingly moronic.

Edited by binman
  • Like 5