Match preview and team selection

Demonland

Are they trying to turn Barry into our new tagger? The benchmarks for him this year seem to have all been defensive efforts and they have been giving him defensive roles at Casey all year. I'm really wondering if they want him to be an upgrade on McKenzie, a tagger with good skills, cleaner hands and a bit more pace.

I think tagging is the best way for him to establish himself as a player considering he doesn't find much of the ball at the best of times. So I think Cross will tag someone around the packs and eventually we might need someone else to take over in that role. But Barry can get up to AFL level by using his discipline and top quality endurance in a tagging role and hopefully then become a two way player later. It's why i think he's a nice match up for Brad Hill and hope they give him a chance to play the full game in that role compared to at half forward where he will likely struggle or as the sub which doesn't really suit him either.

Barry will be interesting to watch these next 2 years. He's fit and fast. And should add a bit more size. He doesn't waste the ball he just doesn't seem to find it much either. An interesting proposition who I haven't always been keen on but the mix of speed and stamina is something we are so desperately lacking.

• Like 1

I think we will bounce, hopefully give them a bit of a shock, realistically probably a loss in the 30 - 40 mark.
if every one hits their straps we can take it to the line, however the end of the season is nearing and the boys might be running out of steam.

I think we will bounce, hopefully give them a bit of a shock, realistically probably a loss in the 30 - 40 mark.

if every one hits their straps we can take it to the line, however the end of the season is nearing and the boys might be running out of steam.

Oh;, and the other seventeen team's players aren't, even without Misson to manage their fitness?

I reckon McKenzie and Blease have had their cards stamped. Probably Tappy also.

Well and truly stamped and marked along with most of the MFC players picked in the Casey team for tomorrow. Roos has flagged that if players haven't got the basic skill sets to play at the elite level then they're going to be shipped out. I think the clean out at year's end is going to be viscious.

• Like 2

Well and truly stamped and marked along with most of the MFC players picked in the Casey team for tomorrow. Roos has flagged that if players haven't got the basic skill sets to play at the elite level then they're going to be shipped out. I think the clean out at year's end is going to be viscious.

Both nasty and sticky?

• Like 5

Further to what Georgiou has said, I think it's an effort to teach him to run to the right spots by running with a top quality midfielder. Barry's a great user of the ball, but has a habit of being where the ball isn't.

There was a nice bit before training started, Barry and Jetta deep in conversation , Barry was talking about Garlett (who he soundly beat last weekend, obviously the real reasonf for the late night out) when they were lining up on the wing, Nev seemed to be instructing him on positioning.

Everybody seems to forget Barry has only been taking football 'seriously' for about 4 years, he came down from Alice on a tennis scholarship, what I like is he got a taste for a couple of games, then sent back to Casey to continue his development, then put a couple of good games together doing his role perfectly and is rewarded with a spot back in the AFL team.

I tip him to surprise going forward

• Like 3

There was a nice bit before training started, Barry and Jetta deep in conversation , Barry was talking about Garlett (who he soundly beat last weekend, obviously the real reasonf for the late night out) when they were lining up on the wing, Nev seemed to be instructing him on positioning.

Everybody seems to forget Barry has only been taking football 'seriously' for about 4 years, he came down from Alice on a tennis scholarship, what I like is he got a taste for a couple of games, then sent back to Casey to continue his development, then put a couple of good games together doing his role perfectly and is rewarded with a spot back in the AFL team.

I tip him to surprise going forward

The new contract is a good show of faith, he seems to have a lot of weapons

Pedersen was in getting surgery on his nose today, so I think his omission has more to do with that than anything else.

Happy with the changes, and as others have mentioned you could probably say guys like Blease, Tapscott and McKenzie (even though he is contracted for 2015) have had their papers 'stamped' so to speak. Not looking forward to this game at all other than the fact that it brings us one game closer to the end of the season.

Pedersen undergoes surgery

Might be just me but the notion that he was dropped first then trundled off to surgery early is a furphy.

He , imho, wasnt ever going to be dropped but due to nature of injury would have been unavailable for selection, so as a result they expedited the surgery to get him back for the following game.

Ommitted yes, dropped no...as if. I think many are reading the article but not comprehending what was actually conveyed.

• Like 1

Could Pederson be a smokey for the bluey? Roos and the coaching staff love blokes who play their role, Pedo has done that every week

Could Pederson be a smokey for the bluey? Roos and the coaching staff love blokes who play their role, Pedo has done that every week

I for one would laugh at the irony though

I for one would laugh at the irony though

Oh me too, but I reckon Pedo will be a certain top 10, and I think Jetta would possibly be top 5 if he had played all year

Where do the Hawks win this, and where do the Dees lose it?

Ball movement/short kicking with precision. Roos' biggest ongoing complaint is that our defensive running is poor for 15-20 minute patches in a game. During these phases we get 6-8 goals kicked against us. If our defensive running is poor in two patches, we get done by 10+ goals. If our defensive running is switched on, this might be a nil-all draw.

Roughead, Gunston, Breust. vs McDonald, Dunn, Howe. Only one of our three has to be beaten for us to get a serious flogging. Their forwards are likely to kill us down back.

Speed. Isaac Smith, Hill, Puopolo. vs Bail, Kent,

Class. We have Tyson and a raw Kent. They have Mitchell, Hodge, Roughy, Lewis, Hill, Smith

One thing we have done well almost all season is play good team footy. Our skils and class are way down but our teamwork has actually been very good. But I can see the Hawks cutting through our teamwork with pace and skill, and winning easily by 50 points.

Just received the following from a Hawthorn supporter who got it from a Hawthorn forum.

Fun facts:

Of the 22 that lined up for the Fuschias last week, only Lynden Dunn has played in a winning team for Melbourne against Hawthorn. That was his third game, back in 2006.

In the Clarkson era, the cumulative scoreboard reads Hawthorn 203.180 (1398) to Melbourne 134.126 (930), a Hawthorn percentage in excess of 150%. Since that 2006 loss, the figures are Hawthorn 175.159 (1209) to Melbourne 101.99 (705), a Hawthorn percentage of 171.49%.

Since Melbourne won its last premiership, Hawthorn has won ten. Melbourne's current premiership drought extends to 50 years this season.

Melbourne last played finals in 2006, so this year is eight years in succession that they have failed to make the top eight, far and away the longest September drought in the league. Since the end of that season, Melbourne are 38 wins, 2 draws and 132 losses.

Hawthorn has 38 wins from its last 46 games.

Super-mega-hyper-ultra-cyber coach Paul Roos' winning percentage with Melbourne is 22.2%. Melbourne's winning percentage in the previous seven seasons was 22.1%. You can clearly see the improvement.

What a f*&^$*& rabble. I hope they fold. Whilst I enjoy the percentage builder every year, it's a travesty that this joke of an organisation is permitted to carry the name of the city that is the home of football. They should be forced to rename themselves to the Junction Oval Junkies or Casey Catastophes or the University Dropouts or something, anything but Melbourne.

You're a stain on the city, you're a stain on the league, you're a stain on the sport, and you only exist because I voted to keep your 'culture' of losing, blame and a half-century of ceaseless mediocrity out of my footy club. F&^% off Melbourne, you're s*&^.

Gives a pretty clear indication of what the reast of the comp thinks of us.

I really hope we win but fear we will get thrashed.

I a torn between wanting to g to support the boys in what will in all likelyhood be a tough day out, but dont really want to sit through another flogging surrounded by the above types and am not keen on giving my entrance money to a club I hate.

Just n case your interested the following was my reply

This sort of rubbish is not surprising from the Hawthorn membership.

There is no supporter group I have less respect for than Hawthorns. Arrogance borne from recent success without a decent foundation seems to be the culture. True there are a few decent ones still around who have followed the team through the drought from 1873 to 1961 and remained true but the vast bulk have jumped on board since the late 70’s. These are people who bend with the wind and will naturally gravitate to whatever feeds their egos and desire to look down on others. They have no loyalty and no spine. The fundamentals of human decency and all that is true and good in this world is missing from this group who inevitably will destroy this club from the inside out. When the worm turns (and it will) the rats will desert the sinking ship, maybe not the members now but their offspring will. It’s in the genetics you see, they will not stay without success they will not face adversity with strength and stoicism, they will not display the moral courage required to be a Melbourne supporter.

I am happy to read below because it confirms my belief that you are all a pack of soulless arrogant buckets of s&$t.

I will be at the game on Sat without hope and in the knowledge that it will not be pleasant but if the roles were reversed I am confident that the only p^ss and s%^t at the ground will be in bowls and troughs of the MCG sewerage system.

• Like 2

There is no supporter group I have less respect for than Hawthorns. Arrogance borne from recent success without a decent foundation seems to be the culture. True there are a few decent ones still around who have followed the team through the drought from 1873 to 1961 and remained true but the vast bulk have jumped on board since the late 70’s. These are people who bend with the wind and will naturally gravitate to whatever feeds their egos and desire to look down on others. They have no loyalty and no spine. The fundamentals of human decency and all that is true and good in this world is missing from this group who inevitably will destroy this club from the inside out. When the worm turns (and it will) the rats will desert the sinking ship, maybe not the members now but their offspring will. It’s in the genetics you see, they will not stay without success they will not face adversity with strength and stoicism, they will not display the moral courage required to be a Melbourne supporter.

I am happy to read below because it confirms my belief that you are all a pack of soulless arrogant buckets of s&$t.

I will be at the game on Sat without hope and in the knowledge that it will not be pleasant but if the roles were reversed I am confident that the only p^ss and s%^t at the ground will be in bowls and troughs of the MCG sewerage system.

And one wonders where they would be without their consecutive priority picks and accompanying high picks that started this latest wave of success.

Just received the following from a Hawthorn supporter who got it from a Hawthorn forum.

Fun facts:

Of the 22 that lined up for the Fuschias last week, only Lynden Dunn has played in a winning team for Melbourne against Hawthorn. That was his third game, back in 2006.

In the Clarkson era, the cumulative scoreboard reads Hawthorn 203.180 (1398) to Melbourne 134.126 (930), a Hawthorn percentage in excess of 150%. Since that 2006 loss, the figures are Hawthorn 175.159 (1209) to Melbourne 101.99 (705), a Hawthorn percentage of 171.49%.

Since Melbourne won its last premiership, Hawthorn has won ten. Melbourne's current premiership drought extends to 50 years this season.

Melbourne last played finals in 2006, so this year is eight years in succession that they have failed to make the top eight, far and away the longest September drought in the league. Since the end of that season, Melbourne are 38 wins, 2 draws and 132 losses.

Hawthorn has 38 wins from its last 46 games.

Super-mega-hyper-ultra-cyber coach Paul Roos' winning percentage with Melbourne is 22.2%. Melbourne's winning percentage in the previous seven seasons was 22.1%. You can clearly see the improvement.

What a f*&^$*& rabble. I hope they fold. Whilst I enjoy the percentage builder every year, it's a travesty that this joke of an organisation is permitted to carry the name of the city that is the home of football. They should be forced to rename themselves to the Junction Oval Junkies or Casey Catastophes or the University Dropouts or something, anything but Melbourne.

You're a stain on the city, you're a stain on the league, you're a stain on the sport, and you only exist because I voted to keep your 'culture' of losing, blame and a half-century of ceaseless mediocrity out of my footy club. F&^% off Melbourne, you're s*&^.

Gives a pretty clear indication of what the reast of the comp thinks of us.

I really hope we win but fear we will get thrashed.

I a torn between wanting to g to support the boys in what will in all likelyhood be a tough day out, but dont really want to sit through another flogging surrounded by the above types and am not keen on giving my entrance money to a club I hate.

It's arrogant, and kind of mean, but the guy's not wrong: this club is very lucky to have survived such a downright awful period.

Undoubtedly one of the worst teams of all time. Even Carlton, after "winning" three wooden spoons in the 00s, was able to come back in season 8 to make the finals. They were able to turn their back on a losing, poor culture.

Edited by praha

Where do the Hawks win this, and where do the Dees lose it?

Ball movement/short kicking with precision. Roos' biggest ongoing complaint is that our defensive running is poor for 15-20 minute patches in a game. During these phases we get 6-8 goals kicked against us. If our defensive running is poor in two patches, we get done by 10+ goals. If our defensive running is switched on, this might be a nil-all draw.

Roughead, Gunston, Breust. vs McDonald, Dunn, Howe. Only one of our three has to be beaten for us to get a serious flogging. Their forwards are likely to kill us down back.

Speed. Isaac Smith, Hill, Puopolo. vs Bail, Kent,

Class. We have Tyson and a raw Kent. They have Mitchell, Hodge, Roughy, Lewis, Hill, Smith

One thing we have done well almost all season is play good team footy. Our skils and class are way down but our teamwork has actually been very good. But I can see the Hawks cutting through our teamwork with pace and skill, and winning easily by 50 points.

Gunston's out which helps sorta

Jetta should nullify Puopolo if not required elsewhere - should be a good contest between 2 tough nuts. I know Jetta's slower but he doesn't seem to get caught out too often.

Still utterly dacked by the class factor - hope it rains

Gunston's out which helps sorta

Jetta should nullify Puopolo if not required elsewhere - should be a good contest between 2 tough nuts. I know Jetta's slower but he doesn't seem to get caught out too often.

Still utterly dacked by the class factor - hope it rains

That's because he has a footy brain, but it took Roos and his team to recognise it......if you want to know about footy, sit down with the Jetta clan, I did once, his mum has forgotten more about the game than most of us know, I am not one of the BP bashers, but he actually had a good convo with Nev's mum about a cousin called Lewis but didn't follow it up...sigh