Melbourne , a team waiting to be beaten - Paul Roos

beelzebub

How many that haven t been signed "that played at the weekend can we get rid of?.

Don't mention the ones that haven't played recently. They will probably go anyway.

Jetta has been our most courageous and consistent player recently.

Dunn has signed, McDonald has signed.

Garland has been carp, Dawes can't mark a ball. Jamar can't handball to a player running past. neither can Riley.

McKenzie can't kick. Watts is trying to use his body but he just doesn't know how, to easily brushed aside.

Blease as been as useless as udders on a bull.

Tappy lead well all day on Sunday, especially for the kick ins, but they didn't honour his leads, they just kicked in to contested situations.

Is this because they can:t kick to a target (me thinks this is the main problem)

Is Rawlings still the right man to have coaching us down back?

The Game Plan is not working when the pressure gets on them.

The 2 way running of the midfield only works so often.

I seem to be rambling, but there are so many problems.

• Like 1

How many that haven t been signed "that played at the weekend can we get rid of?.

Don't mention the ones that haven't played recently. They will probably go anyway.

Jetta has been our most courageous and consistent player recently.

Dunn has signed, McDonald has signed.

Garland has been carp, Dawes can't mark a ball. Jamar can't handball to a player running past. neither can Riley.

McKenzie can't kick. Watts is trying to use his body but he just doesn't know how, to easily brushed aside.

Blease as been as useless as udders on a bull.

Tappy lead well all day on Sunday, especially for the kick ins, but they didn't honour his leads, they just kicked in to contested situations.

Is this because they can:t kick to a target (me thinks this is the main problem)

Is Rawlings still the right man to have coaching us down back?

The Game Plan is not working when the pressure gets on them.

The 2 way running of the midfield only works so often.

I seem to be rambling, but there are so many problems.

Tappy, Blease and Bail I believe. That's off the top of my head. Two are definite to go, I don't know about Bail.

Edit: Update, just read Jetta and Terlich also out of contract at seasons end. Jetta will get a new contract, unless we recruit a replacement, Terlich may too.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Tappy, Blease and Bail I believe. That's off the top of my head. Two are definite to go, I don't know about Bail.

And you think getting rid of those fringe players will make us a winning team?

The leaders really need a bomb up their a%#e

• Like 1

And you think getting rid of those fringe players will make us a winning team?

The leaders really need a bomb up their a%#e

I don't think that at all. Was simply stating from the out of contract players come seasons end, who will go.

I totally agree the leaders need a rocket. True leaders however, shouldnt need that rocket, they should be firing them.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Dare I suggest that coaching conservatism played at least some part in the last quarter debacle .

Plus having to restructure the forward/back line around both McDonald and Pedersen being off for a large slab of it - Frawley went down back when McDonald went off, and Pedersen was already off in any case, so there goes 2 of the 3 who should have been in Dawes' vicinity. Hard to be too creative as a coach when KP players are off and you've already used your sub.

I don't think that at all. Was simply stating from the out of contract players come seasons end, who will go.

I totally agree the leaders need a rocket. True leaders however, shouldnt need that rocket, they should be firing them.

Compounding the dearth of quality players is the fact we have NO leaders. This going into our shell has been going on for a long time. No one kicks the clutch goal to steady the side, no one makes the vital play,its very demoralising

• Like 1

On the couch tonight.

Healy Dunstall and Mike Sheehan discussed the Melbourne list at length.

Mike had a list of must retain.

Tunstall did a list of potential trade bait with those that still have currency.

Amongst the trade bait was Watts and Grimes.

I wasn't switched on to write down the 2 lists, perhaps someone could help if they watched.

• Like 1

no doubt jetta will get a new deal. probably a 1-2 year deal based on caution of injury. Unless they see him fit, they may offer longer.
Hes a quality small defender. Big statement, but potentially fighting for best small defender, off there top of my head, i can't think of another that has taken the scalps that he has.

Edited by Deez

Poor guy seems as frustrated as the rest of us

There will clearly be a large broom wielded this offseason, including maybe a few surprises

Those who can't kick or handball, watch out!

Well, I think your right Mono, but the 'C' word looms large in my mind.

there will be changes, nothing surer, but I hope its the soft ones first out the door. This preseason should see the end of near all daniher era residues, & since, as well.

this mfc play is a combo of efforts since the Barrasi era, & northey era's finished. D ick Seddon-Sneddon board led the change in the 80's, but something started to go off thru the 90's.

LOL

Wishful thinking to draft or sign better players than Blease, Tsapscott, Strauss, Terlich. Nicholson etc ?

Roos could do it with his eyes closed and find much better players than those spuds

Big clean out coming

I agree. Roos didn't have too much trouble picking up good recruits last season, did he?

Don't often agree with Mark Robinson but he was on the money expressing disbelief that Demon players get paid as much as Hawthorns.

They are paid as professionals, it's time they acted like it.

The [censored] also came out and all but said we were 'tanking'. Made no such reference to GWS who have put 7 players into surgery already.

Can't believe he can still say such stupid f**&^&*g stuff but then again he is a moron.

• Like 2

The [censored] also came out and all but said we were 'tanking'. Made no such reference to GWS who have put 7 players into surgery already.

Can't believe he can still say such stupid f**&^&*g stuff but then again he is a moron.

Agree. Couldn't believe that cheap shot. The GWS thing stinks but will go unscrutinised. We will beat GWS and feel good about it but in reality it will mean nothing.

You are right Robinson is a bogan.

An Essendon f l o g trying to divert the worlds gaze I suspect

Dear lord, Robbo actually said that?
He was lucky he shouted the sports editor of the Hun a beer that time otherwise he wouldn't have a job.

I remember Richard Marles (?) once said about the Hun 'Read them for your football results but don't take their political commentary seriously.' I wouldn't even read their football results. The Hun's football coverage is channel 7's footy telecasts in print form. Puerile, superficial and aimed at the lowest common denominator. Robbo may as well finish his articles with 'WOWEE!'

Agree. Couldn't believe that cheap shot. The GWS thing stinks but will go unscrutinised. We will beat GWS and feel good about it but in reality it will mean nothing.

You are right Robinson is a bogan.

There was never any scrutiny of GWS in rd 23 2012 in their loss to GC and to secure Lachie Whitfield. Disgrace. Have a look there you bogan Robbo.

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31250-new-game-under-scrutiny-in-gws-tanking-probe-exclusive/

• Like 1

Dont watch cable.

Anyone..what was Roos reaction to Slobbo re tanking if any ?

tia

Dont watch cable.

Anyone..what was Roos reaction to Slobbo re tanking if any ?

tia

Haven't read Robbo's article as I am allergic to overuse of commas, so I don't know what was said there. However in terms of what was said on 360, he never accused the team of tanking. Even Robbo isn't brazen enough to accuse Roos to his face of tanking.

I think he dropped the T word once but not as an accusation. Roos also referred to the lasting cultural impact when you set out to lose games.

Robbo did however say that he gave the players a kicking in the presser, which Roos flatly rejected by saying that he was simply answering a question about the mental toll that recent history had taken upon the playing group.

Rosie's response.

They don't go out there with the intent of losing.

It's just that they expect to be beaten.

Losing is a habit at the club, just like winning is a habit at Geelong hawthorn swans etc..

• Like 1

On the couch tonight.

Healy Dunstall and Mike Sheehan discussed the Melbourne list at length.

Mike had a list of must retain.

Tunstall did a list of potential trade bait with those that still have currency.

Amongst the trade bait was Watts and Grimes.

I wasn't switched on to write down the 2 lists, perhaps someone could help if they watched.

the trade bait was

Watts, Grimes, Trengove, Toumpas, Gawn,Tapscott, Blease, Dawes

the keep was

Grimes, Jones, Gawn, Tyson, Viney, Hogan, Dunn, Mcdonald

Grimes and Gawn in both?

Mike said we needed a ruckman and that was the justification for Gawn

they basically said they don't think Grimes has done enough to justify the untouchable status and if we got offered a first round pick we should take it and run

the trade bait was

Watts, Grimes, Trengove, Toumpas, Gawn,Tapscott, Blease, Dawes

the keep was

Grimes, Jones, Gawn, Tyson, Viney, Hogan, Dunn, Mcdonald

Sheahan had 12 players on the non-negotiables so that list is missing a few. From memory he also had Salem, Kent, JKH..can't recall the other one. Maybe Garland. I don't think he had Jetta though which as a Melbourne fan, he should.

I also don't recall Dawes being suggested as trade bait.

Healy suggested it was time for Watts to move on and didn't get much argument from the other two. He also floated that maybe Toumpas should go back to SA and Sheahan pretty much agreed.

Healy also suggested maybe it was time to consider if Grimes should be traded to get something of value. Sheahan said you need to retain a player like Grimes who keeps the place together (or words to that effect).

Edited by P-man

Haven't read Robbo's article as I am allergic to overuse of commas, so I don't know what was said there. However in terms of what was said on 360, he never accused the team of tanking. Even Robbo isn't brazen enough to accuse Roos to his face of tanking.

I think he dropped the T word once but not as an accusation. Roos also referred to the lasting cultural impact when you set out to lose games.

Robbo did however say that he gave the players a kicking in the presser, which Roos flatly rejected by saying that he was simply answering a question about the mental toll that recent history had taken upon the playing group.

You haven't read the article thent. Says our pressure in the last qtr was among the worst on record, we play GWS and it will be interesting to watch the pressure because we are playing for pick 2. And earlier he refers 'jokingly' to tanking. Well we all know what happens when you joke about such things.he is a scumbag of the highest order.

• Like 1