Shannon Byrnes retires

Ted Lasso

I can't believe the negativity, 131 games and 2 premierships is a good career, I suspects Shannons impact on the Dees goes far beyond the on field stuff, I'm sure he has added to our culture, added leadership to the group and provided a good role model for some of our young players.

And that's his fault is it? He was one of the most maligned players on our list who gave it a real crack everytime he took the field. It is hardly his fault that he was firstly recruited and secondly given games. I have nothing but respect for the guy and wish him well in whatever he does next.

When did he give it a real crack? Sure he ran hard and attacked the ball at an acceptable level, obviously trained hard to be fit, but I think besides the GWS game where we came from behind I can't recall a game where I thought oh wow Byrnes is really giving it his all.

I believe we ( the Melbourne Football Club) asked him to join us (the Melbourne Football Club).

And I'm sure as you say he enjoyed being paid for his work which as I have been told was as much off the field as on it.

In years to come Mr Byrnes will look back at his career in football with a satisfaction.

We have coaches for off field work. Neeld got 3 brand new development ones in when he started. Why didn't he hire Byrnes for that job?

In years to come Byrnes will look back on his Geelong career with satisfaction. That's what he was, a Geelong player. 2 time premiership including a really good game in 09. He'll look back on his Melbourne career as a bit of a chance to stay in the game and an opportunity to see a different club.

Just because he's retired (which he should've after last year) doesn't mean I'm going to sing his praises now.

Well done to a bloke who had the gall to want to play for our football club.

And the AFL changed the rules at the last second on Compensation - it wasn't Shannon's fault (lol at the inference that it was his fault).

We were thinking we would get Band 4 for Moloney and Band 3 for Rivers and with the AFL determining a team would get one pick for every net player lost of the total value lost - we were using Band 5 Byrnes to bump up the compensation to one pick of Band 2. So we thought:Rivers and Moloney for Byrnes and Pick 20 instead of Rivers and Moloney for Pick 30 and Pick 50.

We were trying to game the system and the AFL changed the rules half way through.

When did he give it a real crack? Sure he ran hard and attacked the ball at an acceptable level, obviously trained hard to be fit, but I think besides the GWS game where we came from behind I can't recall a game where I thought oh wow Byrnes is really giving it his all.

We have coaches for off field work. Neeld got 3 brand new development ones in when he started. Why didn't he hire Byrnes for that job?

Just because he's retired (which he should've after last year) doesn't mean I'm going to sing his praises now.

I suppose we all see what we want to see... I saw him as a trier and you didn't.

This is a thread acknowledging his retirement and time at the club... it is hardly the type of thread that should be used as a platform for criticising the guy... there have been plenty of those in the past.

I have 4 ovens and murry premiership medals, does that count

I got a medal on Sunday for finishing 5564th in the Run Melbourne 10km event - top that Byrnes !

• Like 1

I suppose we all see what we want to see... I saw him as a trier and you didn't.

This is a thread acknowledging his retirement and time at the club... it is hardly the type of thread that should be used as a platform for criticising the guy... there have been plenty of those in the past.

Well down to Shannon on his retirement and his time at the MFC - Instead of criticizing (not you Hardtack) maybe his time should be looked at in context with the clubs performances over the time he was with us. Imagine if Pederson had an injury riddled year this year and retired - imagine what his epitaph would read like based on his previous years output.

Maybe we should apologise to Shannon for convincing him to put down roots in our neighbourhood for the past two years.

• Like 1

Retirement - Meh, pretty much an accelerated delisting

Time at the club - double meh.

If you want a nice retirement thread it should be started on a Geelong forum.

• Like 2

Retired before getting delisted.

A wise move unlike the decision to sign him in the first place.

Just my opinion. Sorry if I've disappointed or upset anyone with that.

• Like 1

Well done to a bloke who had the gall to want to play for our football club.

And the AFL changed the rules at the last second on Compensation - it wasn't Shannon's fault (lol at the inference that it was his fault).

We were thinking we would get Band 4 for Moloney and Band 3 for Rivers and with the AFL determining a team would get one pick for every net player lost of the total value lost - we were using Band 5 Byrnes to bump up the compensation to one pick of Band 2. So we thought:Rivers and Moloney for Byrnes and Pick 20 instead of Rivers and Moloney for Pick 30 and Pick 50.

We were trying to game the system and the AFL changed the rules half way through.

My head hurts.

I'll just congratulate Byrnes on his career. Any player who plays one game for my club gets my praise and thanks.

Retired before getting delisted.

A wise move unlike the decision to sign him in the first place.

Just my opinion. Sorry if I've disappointed or upset anyone with that.

Oh, we have no problem with the opinion. It's the need to dance on graves that's hard to stomach.

Just my opinion. Sorry if I've disappointed or...

• Like 3

Oh, we have no problem with the opinion. It's the need to dance on graves that's hard to stomach.

Whack em before they get here, whack whilst they're here and a nice little whack on the way out.

Byrnes didn't appear as influential as some of us might have liked, but he had a good career, cant knock that.

I will ask this question - who here would have enjoyed playing small forward for the MFC in 2012/13 ? ewww is all. Just ewww

Looking at it that way, I reckon even though I'm in my mid-50s and never won any premiership medals at any level, if I'd played small forward (a physical impossibility, by the way) in 2012/13, I suspect I would have had the same influence as any other small forward during that time.

• Like 1

Trivia question for you.

Which player on the MFC list has kicked the most AFL goals.

Answer = Shannon Byrnes with 117 (100 with Geelong, 17 at Melb.)

Which player on the MFC list has kicked the most goals at VFL level

Answer = Shannon Byrnes with 90 (albeit mostly with Geelong's VFL team).

Trivia question for you.

Which player on the MFC list has kicked the most AFL goals.

Answer = Shannon Byrnes with 117 (100 with Geelong, 17 at Melb.)

Which player on the MFC list has kicked the most goals at VFL level

Answer = Shannon Byrnes with 90 (albeit mostly with Geelong's VFL team).

As a matter of interest, is Hogan coming second at the VFL level?

Dancing on graves?

And you're accusing me of extremes. Unreal.

• Like 1

In years to come Byrnes will look back on his Geelong career with satisfaction. That's what he was, a Geelong player. 2 time premiership including a really good game in 09. He'll look back on his Melbourne career as a bit of a chance to stay in the game and an opportunity to see a different club.

What a k.n.o.b.

Edited by jnrmac

I think it's really poor form to give the bloke a backhander when he's calling it quits.

Agreed. Weak as [censored]. My understanding is that he wanted to retire at the end of last year but was asked to play on. His injury was unfortunate. Good luck to him he made the most of his opportunities.

• Like 2